PDA

View Full Version : confusion about losing weight

bgb1990
01-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Ive been trying to lose weight for the last month after bulking for quite a few months. i ended my bulk at 201 lbs and was eating 3500cal a day. Ive now dropped my calorie intake to 2200cal a day with a split of 130g carbs, 300g protein, 50g fat. In the last 4 weeks I havent lost a single pound, and ive actually been getting significantly stronger in all my lifts. Any ideas as to why I cant seem to lose the weight? thanks.

ZAR-FIT
01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Might have dropped cals too quick... i would have cleaned up the foods if that was possible, and added a little cardio 3x a week 25-35 mins. And slowly dropped cals....

bgb1990
01-21-2012, 07:45 PM
i slowly dropped cals by 300cal per week and started doing 30min cardio 4x a week.

Allen Cress
01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
i slowly dropped cals by 300cal per week and started doing 30min cardio 4x a week.

A 300 cal drop per week is way too much to fast! You don't want to do anything to fast, especially when it comes to losing fat. You are trying to maintain as much muscle as possible and by dropping cal that quick and jumping straight into cardio you risk significantly slowing down metabolism and losing muscle.

You want to coax the body to lose fat not force it, when you do so it will fight back, in simple terms basically a survival mechanism kicks in and slows things down in the body. Always make small changes and do things only when needed. First thing is to clean up the diet and measure all food. Initially dropping cal by about 250. Wait a couple weeks and see how you respond. Then depending on whats happening make adjustments by reducing cal by no more than 200-250 and then slowly add in cardio if needed. Don't throw everything but the kitchen sink at yourself because when things plateau you have nothing left but to go to extremes.

I would bump cal up for a week and go from there.

bgb1990
01-22-2012, 09:46 AM
ok thanks. i have my diet down and very clean but ill mess with the cal intake first

Behemoth
01-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Dropping cals too quick is no good I agree.

Despite "starvation mode" sensationalism a large deficit really doesn't cause your body to lose no weight whatsoever and become a physics defying energy hoarder. It's much more a complication in other ways... One that the composition of the weight lost is compromised. Two that there is a point of diminishing returns where equatable quality weight loss can be had with less of a deficit. And three that a plethora of other health concerns that may or may not directly end up correlating to weight loss can arise (IE micro-nutrient deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, mental difficulties and later rebounds).

Having said this, losing not a pound for a month of being in a presumed deficit makes me suspect to the deficit you were actually in and/or the consistency of your weigh-in. I suggest all the time that people on a diet weigh daily first thing in the morning after bathroom use and before food or drink. Weigh-ins are never linear so the more points you have to connect the more accurate the trend line that can be drawn. Secondly if you're not extremely adept at tracking calories without measuring cups, a food scale, and some sort of logging mechanism (whether that be a website or a simple steno pad) it is very important to do log everything. You would be surprised the margin of error when not actively measuring and recording everything.

Allens advice pretty much says it all. He addresses that yes you may have dropped calories too quickly, and if you aren't extremely in touch with how your body loses weight it is very, very important to spend a lot of time monitoring things and looking for that small gradient slope of weight loss.

"Don't throw everything but the kitchen sink at yourself because when things plateau you have nothing left but to go to extremes." is great advice. It's so silly when you see someone start a weightloss regime with 4 days of HIIT, a large deficit, fancy carb rotations etc when all they really need to do is establish a small deficit in the beginning for the very same (if not better) results.

RhodeHouse
01-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Odd question, but why would you cut calories if you ONLY weigh 200lbs? Shouldn't you look like you lift weights? Guess my thought was the ONLY reason to join the gym was to get big and strong. Times are changing, unfortunately.

ZAR-FIT
01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Odd question, but why would you cut calories if you ONLY weigh 200lbs? Shouldn't you look like you lift weights? Guess my thought was the ONLY reason to join the gym was to get big and strong. Times are changing, unfortunately.

Bodybuilder vs. powerlifter... the epic battle of bodies.... i enjoy a six pack now and then... Cant step on a bodybuilding stage w/o a cut. and while i'm cutting all i wish was that i was a stongman... but when i'm bulking i miss the striations... its the battle of my life, but damn do i love it.

Alex.V
01-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Despite "starvation mode" sensationalism a large deficit really doesn't cause your body to lose no weight whatsoever and become a physics defying energy hoarder. It's much more a complication in other ways...

but... but.... what about metabolic damage????///1111!!!one!!

Invain
01-24-2012, 01:29 PM

What if OP is a midget? Could be obese at 200 pounds.

Behemoth
01-24-2012, 11:16 PM

Because you obviously can't look like you lift weights if you're under 200lbs...

RhodeHouse
01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Bodybuilder vs. powerlifter... the epic battle of bodies.... i enjoy a six pack now and then... Cant step on a bodybuilding stage w/o a cut. and while i'm cutting all i wish was that i was a stongman... but when i'm bulking i miss the striations... its the battle of my life, but damn do i love it.

As a competitive bodybuilder I completely understand it. It's part of the process.

My feelings are if you're not a competitive bodybuilder, what's the point of wasting all that money on food and all that time in the gym, then losing weight?

As for abs, they are always nice. Instead of losing weight, I just clean up my diet and do some more conditioning work. It's not that hard to do. Now, my "abs" probably aren't as lean as some, but at 300+lbs and 16-18% bodyfat, I'm happy.

bgb1990
01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
i definitely look like i lift weights but i want to get more cut as opposed to packing on more lbs

RhodeHouse
01-29-2012, 09:33 PM
What if OP is a midget? Could be obese at 200 pounds.

That would be one jacked midget! Awesome!

RhodeHouse
01-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Because you obviously can't look like you lift weights if you're under 200lbs...

I agree whole-heartedly, unless you're a midget!

Behemoth
01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
I agree whole-heartedly, unless you're a midget!
The olympias have been won in the mid 180s friend

RhodeHouse
01-30-2012, 10:38 AM
The olympias have been won in the mid 180s friend

I'm assuming you mean that there have been little people who have won the Olympia? Way to use the exception to try and prove your point. I'd guess more 250+lberes have won the Olympia than -200lbs, friend.

vdizenzo
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
What's this losing weight crap? Isn't this forum called WannaBeBig? :soapbox:

Behemoth
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm assuming you mean that there have been little people who have won the Olympia? Way to use the exception to try and prove your point. I'd guess more 250+lberes have won the Olympia than -200lbs, friend.
Point is you can only be so big for you height, and mr olympias are always near that threshold. Way to confuse reaped potential with height big guy

RhodeHouse
01-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Point is you can only be so big for you height, and mr olympias are always near that threshold. Way to confuse reaped potential with height big guy

You can only be so big for your height??????????????????????????????/ Clearly you have little clue as I've seen Vincent Dizenzo (the above poster) weigh in at 328.5lbs at 5'8".

I know you're trying to sound smart, but what the fuck is "reaped potential with height"? That means nothing. That's like the incessant babble of a woman.

Behemoth
01-31-2012, 10:16 PM
You can only be so big for your height??????????????????????????????/ Clearly you have little clue as I've seen Vincent Dizenzo (the above poster) weigh in at 328.5lbs at 5'8".

I know you're trying to sound smart, but what the fuck is "reaped potential with height"? That means nothing. That's like the incessant babble of a woman.

Still struggling with that comprehension? It means what it says. I'll spell it out.

If someone wins the olympia then they have very clearly succeeded at gaining muscle to nearly the best of their potential. The fact that mr olympias have been under 200 lbs is a mere function of their height, not lack of muscle.

You're really close to getting me mad by the way. In fact I considered losing it on this post but just barely refrained. Maybe my next reply will be the one?

bgb1990
02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
well minus what was all said before cause it kinda got off topic, but ive been trying to lose weight now for two months. on wednesday i weighed in and finally dropped down to 195 so a loss of 5 lbs. now today im right back up to 200. why the hell cant my body keep the weight off? nothing changed in either diet, daily activity, or work outs so why now did it go back.

Behemoth
02-05-2012, 02:44 PM
well minus what was all said before cause it kinda got off topic, but ive been trying to lose weight now for two months. on wednesday i weighed in and finally dropped down to 195 so a loss of 5 lbs. now today im right back up to 200. why the hell cant my body keep the weight off? nothing changed in either diet, daily activity, or work outs so why now did it go back.

Could be normal fluctuation. Weigh daily.

bgb1990
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Could be normal fluctuation. Weigh daily.

what would weighing in daily change?

Alex.V
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
and ive actually been getting significantly stronger in all my lifts. Any ideas as to why I cant seem to lose the weight? thanks.

Sounds like a win so far. Screw the scale. How do you look? You dropped 5, went back up 5... Do you look the same as when you started?

Behemoth
02-05-2012, 05:24 PM
what would weighing in daily change?
..... you might have have weighed on an day that your weight fluctuated abnormally high and you might be comparing it against a day when your weight fluctuated abnormally low. Why would you not want to weigh daily?

bgb1990
02-05-2012, 05:25 PM
yea i look the exact same. really annoying since i need to lose 25lbs ASAP

bgb1990
02-07-2012, 10:31 AM
i never really thought about weighing in daily. didnt think the change would be great enough to see a change

Behemoth
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
i never really thought about weighing in daily. didnt think the change would be great enough to see a change
I think you'd be surprised as to the amount of day to day normal fluctuation that's possible.

JacobH
02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I think you'd be surprised as to the amount of day to day normal fluctuation that's possible.

Yep. My weight tends to fluctuate a surprising amount even throughout a single day's time.

bgb1990
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
ok thanks. so what do you want to look for in a daily weigh in? cause with fluctuations wouldnt you still look at it at a larger rate than just that one day?

Stonecutter
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a win so far. Screw the scale. How do you look? You dropped 5, went back up 5... Do you look the same as when you started?

Agree, this is the most important thing. Unless you are weighing in for some specific reason (i.e. a competition), weight is never the best thing to go by. Use the mirror, and if you want to track something, track body fat.

Personally, I think weighing daily is usually a bad idea precisely because of the daily fluctuations that have been mentioned. And if you don't do it at the same time with the same clothes it will also be different. Daily changes are not indicators of total weight loss. Weekly assessments are much better.

JacobH
02-07-2012, 08:15 PM
ok thanks. so what do you want to look for in a daily weigh in? cause with fluctuations wouldnt you still look at it at a larger rate than just that one day?

If you weigh yourself daily, say every morning, before eating anything and with the same clothes on, the trend of your weight loss(or gain) will be much more accurate. What you are looking for in weighing yourself daily is still the overall trend. If you think about it like a line graph you may be heavier some days, or lighter other days but you should always show the trend of losing weight over time. Weighing yourself daily just provides more data to plug into the overall trend. Hope this makes sense...

JacobH
02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Agree, this is the most important thing. Unless you are weighing in for some specific reason (i.e. a competition), weight is never the best thing to go by. Use the mirror, and if you want to track something, track body fat.

Personally, I think weighing daily is usually a bad idea precisely because of the daily fluctuations that have been mentioned. And if you don't do it at the same time with the same clothes it will also be different. Daily changes are not indicators of total weight loss. Weekly assessments are much better.

I disagree. What would make a weekly assessment any better than a daily one? You said yourself that daily fluctuations can occur and skew your data. Well, what if that one day of the week you weigh in was the day your bodyweight fluctuated abnormally? You would have been better off tracking your weight every day and seeing the slow progression on the scale....I'm sure Rory will have an explanation 100 times better than this. Basically what I'm saying is that more data will better illustrate your weightloss trend.

bgb1990
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM

i actually am kinda weighing in for a specific reason. im hoping to join the marines officer program and need to get down to 175 ASAP

Stonecutter
02-08-2012, 03:38 AM
I disagree. What would make a weekly assessment any better than a daily one? You said yourself that daily fluctuations can occur and skew your data. You would have been better off tracking your weight every day and seeing the slow progression on the scale....I'm sure Rory will have an explanation 100 times better than this. Basically what I'm saying is that more data will better illustrate your weightloss trend.
Well, it does depend on the person, but for many, weighing yourself daily and not seeing significant losses (or seeing gains, depending on how the day went) can be discouraging and/or set you off track. Since generally you only aim for a couple lbs/week of weight loss anyway, it's really impossible to assess on a daily basis. You're talking about 0 to less than 0.5 lbs/day. I do agree that more data is better....you have to draw the line somewhere though (i.e. you wouldn't weight yourself 3x/day, even though that would give you more data) and I think any more than a couple times a week is usually overkill.

Well, what if that one day of the week you weigh in was the day your bodyweight fluctuated abnormally?
In regards to this comment, if you weighed yourself in the morning on an empty stomach (which I believe is the only accurate time to do it), there would be no fluctuation.

bgb: as someone mentioned, you should measure (weigh, preferably) your food, at least initially. Have you done that? Very often people are underestimating their intake.

Alex.V
02-08-2012, 07:05 AM
i actually am kinda weighing in for a specific reason. im hoping to join the marines officer program and need to get down to 175 ASAP

That changes things. How long do you have?

djpc
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
You can still see a lot of day-to-day fluctuation even if you're weighing first thing in the morning as described. What you have to do is keep the information over a period of several weeks or longer to really determine if your weight is on a downward trend. I'm sort of nerdy, so if for some reason I'm interested in weight (gain or loss) I weigh daily and put the numbers in a spread sheet and compare the average of the first 7 days of measurements to the most recent 7 days or something like that. But it usually takes more than a month of data to get anything meaningful. The key is the length of data. You could probably measure weekly over a period of at least 5-6 weeks and get a feel for the trend.

But that isn't helpful since it appears the obstacle is dropping a sizeable amount of weight in short order. I tend to only be able to sustain an average drop of about 0.2 lb/day over any extended period of time the way I approach it, and the only way to sort that level of loss from the noise is to gather data for an extended time.

JacobH
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Wasn't aware of that.

bgb1990
02-09-2012, 09:31 AM
well i have a good couple of months before my entire application needs to be in. but probably only 2-3 to actually get my weight down. i dont technically weigh my food but i measure everything out perfectly and am always cooking, and i always weigh myself in the morning on an empty stomach.

Stonecutter
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
i dont technically weigh my food but i measure everything out perfectly and am always cooking, and i always weigh myself in the morning on an empty stomach.
This could easily be your problem. For some people this is just details, but very often the exact amount matters, and the only way to do that is by weight. Try it and make sure you really know how much you are getting. Very easy to be generous with portions and not so in logging.

ZAR-FIT
02-09-2012, 09:53 PM
weigh it out every meal... take no chances when cutting for a contest is the matter... best of luck man.

asp143
02-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I think you have to consult with good dietitian who plans effective diet according to your requirement how much pounds you want to loose.