PDA

View Full Version : Nutrient timing?

rvadog
01-26-2012, 05:52 PM
How many of you use nutrient timing as a regular part of your diet?

I know the hot thing is to not worry about timing as long as you hit your macros but I'm not sure I 100% buy that.

I've been cutting fat over the last two weeks. I reduced my carb intake to only incidentals (less than 30 grams a day). I'm ready to start adding back some carbs and am looking for the best way to add carbs that's going to keep fat off.

Do you guys do dextrose or Maltodextrose after working out? When do you take in complex carbs? Am I over thinking this?

chevelle2291
01-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Am I over thinking this?

Yes.

I dieted on ice cream, mcdonalds, and Pop Tarts from May 2011 to about July 2011, probably a bit longer just because I didn't feel like bulking again.

Before:
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/chevelle2291/bc574f6c.jpg

After:
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/chevelle2291/f5cf7838-1.jpg

I'd say the cut went fine.

The most important aspect of dieting is making sure you hit your daily macros every damn day. That's it. The rest has a miniscule difference in results.

Alex.V
01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Am I over thinking this?

Yes.

You say you don't buy it.. why not?

rvadog
01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
It's like this.

I think for most of us, especially newer lifters, the energy dedicated to getting perfect nutrient timing would be better used actually working that extra bit harder in the gym. I can buy that.

But the idea that it plain doesn't matter I don't buy. Your body is physically exhausted by a hard workout (especially if you do cardio at the same time). I have to believe that there are nutrients in which your body craves and could use at that time that at a different time (i.e. 45 minutes after lunch while sitting at your desk) might be discreted or turned in to fat.

chevelle2291
01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
It's like this.

I think for most of us, especially newer lifters, the energy dedicated to getting perfect nutrient timing would be better used actually working that extra bit harder in the gym. I can buy that.

But the idea that it plain doesn't matter I don't buy. Your body is physically exhausted by a hard workout (especially if you do cardio at the same time). I have to believe that there are nutrients in which your body craves and could use at that time that at a different time (i.e. 45 minutes after lunch while sitting at your desk) might be discreted or turned in to fat.

I used to buy into all that crap. I did for years and made zero progress. It truly does not matter.

The most conditioned guy i've ever seen by far is Alberto Nunez. look him up. he follows macros only, and he is ripped up.

Alex.V
01-26-2012, 07:04 PM
It's like this.

The first point you mentioned is exactly the main point... A lot of time, energy, and effort spent perfecting something that's really... well, you can't even call it the icing on the cake, because let's be honest the icing is the best part of the cake. It's more like the sprinkles on the icing. PS- I want cake right now.

ANYWAY, point is, yes, it's misguided effort.

The other thing is, if your body processed food completely within minutes or an hour, this would be more relevant. But it does not. Digestion is a much slower process than most people seem to believe. Your body DOES need nutrients after a workout, but unless it's been 12-16 hours since your last meal or snack, chances are you have plenty of nutrients in your digestive tract somewhere being released. People do all this highly precise timing, and they're really just tossing precise ratios of nutrients into a gigantic nutrient soup... it's completely pointless! When it MIGHT matter is during seriously restricted dieting, where you very well MIGHT be in a massive nutrient deficit.

This is not to say macros aren't important, but the timing... it's using an eyedropper to adjust the water level in your swimming pool.

chevelle2291
01-26-2012, 11:22 PM
The first point you mentioned is exactly the main point... A lot of time, energy, and effort spent perfecting something that's really... well, you can't even call it the icing on the cake, because let's be honest the icing is the best part of the cake. It's more like the sprinkles on the icing. PS- I want cake right now.

ANYWAY, point is, yes, it's misguided effort.

The other thing is, if your body processed food completely within minutes or an hour, this would be more relevant. But it does not. Digestion is a much slower process than most people seem to believe. Your body DOES need nutrients after a workout, but unless it's been 12-16 hours since your last meal or snack, chances are you have plenty of nutrients in your digestive tract somewhere being released. People do all this highly precise timing, and they're really just tossing precise ratios of nutrients into a gigantic nutrient soup... it's completely pointless! When it MIGHT matter is during seriously restricted dieting, where you very well MIGHT be in a massive nutrient deficit.

This is not to say macros aren't important, but the timing... it's using an eyedropper to adjust the water level in your swimming pool.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/approval/grand/stalone_and_patrick_swayze__gif.gif

Daniel Roberts
01-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Well said above. This how I concluded the following article (2009, wasn't my best year!) http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/nutrient-timing-when-science-and-marketing-collide/

'How you split your food and when you take it comes a distant second to hitting your daily total. Because you’re human and you have a digestive system, there’ll nearly always be an overlap between what you ate hours ago and what you’re about to eat now. The good news is that our bodies take care of the sophisticated nutrient timing all by themselves.'

ZAR-FIT
01-27-2012, 01:30 AM
I am a believer in Nutrient Timing. I am due to the results I have experienced in the past few months. My diet consisted of very similar if not the same daily macros, but tweaking a few things and carb source i feel are responsible for my recent gain in size and strength.

The biggest change i made was having a MRP pre workout, Dextrose with BCAA's and Creatine during, and Dextrose with Isolate and creatine post workout.

I also keep fats away from my workouts. I to keep added fats atleast 2 meals away from my workouts either before or after.

I have been following these rules for 2 months now and have gained significant size and strength. Currently I am 268 lbs and have never been this strong and lean at this weight.

I enjoy the strict scheduling of it all. I guess its the bodybuilding competitive obsessivness in me. But I feel good about it and I'm going to continue with it for a while. The goal is to hit 290lbs.

vdizenzo
01-27-2012, 09:06 AM
I like nutrient timing if for no other reason I want to put good fuel into my body so I can make it through a grueling session. Then after, I'm crazy hungry anway. This is why I eat the bulk of my macros around training. If my body might be able to better use the nutrients during that time, even if it's just a little bit, then why not.

RhodeHouse
01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
I believe in Nutrient Timing as well. It does make a difference. I do agree that too many people overthink it and worry about being too precise. But, as a firm believer that supplements are a waste (ask Vincent and Chris, I've told them both), it works.

What works is the consistency. I can feel the carbs bloat me up after a workout. i know that carbs will jack up the insulin. i know this will help the body be more responsive to nutrient you put in it at that time. Shakes are absorbed much quicker than food. I don't need scientific proof to tell me that 30-45 minutes after drinking a 700 calorie shake I'm starving. It's going somewhere. And then I'm eating.

I've gotten heavier and leaner in the last 2 months doing this. It's the only thing I've changed, so it works.

And as someone who believes that it doesn't matter what you eat, it does. My body looks better when I clean up the fast food intake. And I love McDonald's!

Don't go crazy, but the consistency over time works.

Alex.V
02-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Hi I have a k24a4 block with a k20a2 head but I believe my timing is off because when I start it up it doesnt fire on all cylinders and backfires out the intake a bit can someone please send me a link on how to time a k ?

I'd recommend getting a real car. With twice as many cylinders.

That should solve your problem.

mike mcgee
02-13-2012, 06:50 AM
I think the most important thing to do is eat (get your macros), but I believe timing can be important as well. If you have time, check out this article. I think it does a nice job of briefly explaining it: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-nutrient-timing (WFS)

FearFactory
02-13-2012, 07:10 AM
I'd recommend getting a real car. With twice as many cylinders.

That should solve your problem.

QFT!!!