PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting Stronger!

robertjr93
01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey Guys i just wanted to pick you all's brain about a few things! I'm a college student well soon to be again lol without a job! I'm looking for a job tho. I compete at 220. My family just moved and the gym i use to go to is 30 miles away! I'm trying to get there twice a week! Thats all i can do because i just really dont have any cash. I do p90x on the days i dont go to the gym just to keep my muscles going. I usually do Heavy squats or heavy Deadlifts tuesday. After i do the heavy squat or dead i do a light or speed type of the squat or dead depending on which 1 i did heavy that day! Then thursday i do a bench day. I wanna do some kind of speed work then do some shirt work! I just wanna see what you guys think about this as i train based on a westside template for the most part!

theBarzeen
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM
I drive an hour to train at a really top notch gym and can't afford to drive out more than 2 or 3 times a week. Since switching to that schedule I've been doing better actually.

Make those 2 days count and use the other days for cardio and rest.

robertjr93
01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks I've been thinking about not doing the 2 big days in p90x do alot of ab,cardio,stretching. I'm gonna start eating a lil healthier also

larsen540
01-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Yea I agree make the days count at the gym. The P90X I would scratch just my thought. You can be creative and do some pre injury work with bands or indian clubs at home.

robertjr93
01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I dont have anything at home! thats why i was doing p90x!

April Mathis
01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I guess doing some bodyweight stuff plus abs and cardio (which I think this is what p90x is) is not actually bad. Almost like 2 light days. Definitely as said above go heavy and do enough work when you train at the gym. If I can only train 2 days on a certain week, both will be heavy (1 bench and 1 squat and/or deadlift) and some related assistance work. I wouldn't worry much about speed work and extra small things on those 2 days. When you can train a 3rd or 4th day, then worry about those extra things.

ScottYard
01-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Make it work to get there more then 2 days. 2 days a week wont get you too far. Find. A rack and some weight on ebay or Craig list. You need assistance work and p90x won't cut it.

Travis Bell
01-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Like Scot said, find some stuff on craigslist and get the basics for your own gym. p90x is really not going to take you far

robertjr93
01-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Hate to say it like this but if you guys are gonna help me pay for it i surely will! I've thought of that but money is short when your family doesnt believe in what your doing!

Alex.V
01-27-2012, 08:37 AM
P90x isn't going to do much for you at all... I'd argue it's worse than "light days" because you're not recovering on those days, not practicing the major movements you want to get stronger at, and not significantly working any accessory movements. Ditch it. You'd be better off recovering those days. Or, as the other folks said, get to the gym more often. If you're basically stating you're only doing two gym days, can't afford any equipment whatsoever, can't get to the gym more often, but want to do a split that basically requires 4 gym lifting days, well... you're not really giving people much room to respond.

robertjr93
01-27-2012, 09:06 AM
I've been powerlifting for about a year now! I use to do a westside style template with 2 extra days for recovery and blood flow pretty much! If i had a job i would buy equipment or be able to get to the gym more often! I dont so i'm doing the best i can to do what i love! The reason i'm doing p90x is because if i dont do something i tend to grow very fast lol! So its something to help keep my weight down for the most part! Most of you guys have some decent income or at least steady income! I'm not making up excuses but i have just enough money to pay for a semester of school and i'm not going to spend that so i'm stuck atm until i can get a job! So 2 days is all i can do atm. I'm just looking for some help as in what i should be doing those 2 days i can make it to the gym!

chris mason
01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
robertjr93: "Hey, help me out please."

everyone: "Ok, advice...."

robertjr93: "This is why I am doing what I do and your advice won't work. You must be rich..."

Lol, if you want advice then listen. If not, don't ask. FYI, a couple of people who already advised you are really, really good powerlifters.

Travis Bell
01-27-2012, 09:14 AM
there is always a job out there if you want it bad enough.

When i was in college, I mowed lawns, worked on farms in the area as well as fixed cars out of my garage to pay for stuff.

If you want something bad enough you'll get there.

As far as being able to progress while training twice a week, it's not going to work super well. You can make progress but it's going to be painstakingly slow. You'll just have to get used to training a very long time on those two days to get everything covered.

robertjr93
01-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks Travis i'm looking for one!

RhodeHouse
01-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Day 1
1. Squat
2. Bench
3. Bent Rows or DB Rows
4. Abs

Day 2
1. Deadlift
2. Militray Press
3. Pull-ups
4. Abs

You can't powerlift on a 2 day schedule, but you can get stronger and bigger if you train hard and eat well.

Like everyone said, stop making excuses. I'm sure there's a gym closer to you. Find one and start trainig there. If driving 30 miles is tough on the wallet, find a gym closer.

Like Travis said, if you want it, you'll make it happen, but don't come on here and play the victim.

JK1
01-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Hate to say it like this but if you guys are gonna help me pay for it i surely will! I've thought of that but money is short when your family doesnt believe in what your doing!

ok, it is now time for me to be an asshole.....

Dude, shut up then and leave if you have that attitude. You want it, you will figure out a way to get it. It may take a little longer, it may take a little more work, but it can be done.

My self as an example.. when I first started lifting weights in highschool, my step dad referred to it as 'that damned banging and clanging"... This was after I had spent a few months doing things with an old axle and concrete blocks. My first power rack and my first lat pull down machines were made from wood. My first sled was an old tire. Up until 3 years ago, I'd load all the chain, the bars, my box, whatever I needed on the back of my truck every night I trained, drive into town, unload it, lift, load it back up, take it home, then unload it again. Yes now I have a decent gym with good equipment specific for powerlifting, but that has been 20 years in the making and I made it myself. Why? Because I wanted it.

The reality is concrete is cheap and if you look you can find a tire along the road. get a rope and you got what you need for a sled for ALOT of supplemental work.

I have a friend who is a trucker---and she's an elite level lifter. She has done her supplemental work with a folding bench, chains off her truck, and waterfilled jugs.

I know another person who is in a residency. he can't get to the gym all the time, but the haybales in the barn weigh 100 lbs. He can do supplemental work with them.

Get a sledge hammer and smash some rock and put that in a bucket if you don't have access to concrete.

This shit doesn't come easy and you making excuses is only making it harder on yourself. Get your head out of your ass, quit making excuses and get to work. Either that or sit back and enjoy being mediocre.

robertjr93
01-28-2012, 10:20 PM
1. Thanks for everybody that posted!
2. I talked to the guys at my gym and decided going bench only would be good for the time being i cant train how i would like to and need to!
3. I'm not complaining just simply stating my case so you guys would know whats all going on!
4. Thanks again everybody

robertjr93
01-28-2012, 10:27 PM
This was meant to be in a sarcastic way sorry if some of you guys took it the wrong way!

robertjr93
01-28-2012, 10:36 PM
robertjr93: "Hey, help me out please."

everyone: "Ok, advice...."

robertjr93: "This is why I am doing what I do and your advice won't work. You must be rich..."

Lol, if you want advice then listen. If not, don't ask. FYI, a couple of people who already advised you are really, really good powerlifters.

I listen to what everybody say's. I never said anything didnt work. The fact is that i cant afford things that everybody says i know that. I know everybody on here isnt rich or watever. If i didnt want the advice i wouldnt have asked i know that most guys on here are great powerlifters thats why i asked! No disrespect to you

JK1
01-29-2012, 01:03 AM
This was meant to be in a sarcastic way sorry if some of you guys took it the wrong way!

There is no need to apologize to me if that was directed my way. Ill tell you how I see it, you are a young guy and I took it as if you needed a bit of a blunt push in the right direction. People can get way too caught up in the toys and the bells and whistles of powerlifting training. Those are not what is going to make you stronger. Hard work and thinking about training objectively with a determination to train so you get stronger will do as much or more than bells and whistles. You just gotta want it then get to work.

There are good people here who want to help. You have already started thinking by asking.... now keep it going.

RhodeHouse
01-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Very well said in both posts, Jack.