PDA

View Full Version : my terrible squat form

2kool
01-27-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyisPhGXcQQ

i posted a deadlift video a long time ago and got some good feedback (to my surprise it seems i was doing it well) so i thought id try this. its my last set of squats from today, 260 lbs. im the only person i know in real life that even knows what a squat is so i turn to WBB to tell me what im doing wrong, and how i can get better. i really want to keep progressing and get a huge squat down the road so please help me fix whats wrong.

and yes im wearing the red at large nutrition shirt, ive got a few of those in different colors. oh and also, i recorded this video with a potato/calculator/toaster.

Thanks.

f=ma
01-28-2012, 07:14 AM
better lifters than i may chime in.. but the answer depends on what you want from squatting.

it definitely doesnt look terrible to me but your knees are moving around too much. this may be due to your foot positioning within your stance. i watched a couple of times but couldnt tell for sure. your knees should be tracking with the width and direction of your stance & feet respectively

chris mason
01-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Hard to tell too much from the angle of the camera, but as f=ma said you knees should not be moving like they are. Focus on pushing them out on the way down (which it seems you do), but then also make sure they do not cave in when you reverse and begin the ascent. In other words, focus on pushing them out throughout the entire movement.

2kool
01-30-2012, 12:22 PM
thanks for the replies. i kind of noticed that about my knees too. as im doing the lift i dont notice my knees moving, only when i watched it and when you guys pointed that out. i never actually knew those things both of you posted about the knees.so i will try to focus on pushing them out on the way back up.

Bassist-Dude
01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Yep, the one thing I would've pointed out has already been covered. Fix your knees and you should be good to go.
On a more positive note, your low back holds it's arch pretty well, from what I can see, and you're breaking parallel. That's a whole lot better than I can say for most of the people I see "squatting"!

TKisner
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Try pointing your toes out to the side more. That might make your knees move less.

Sensei
02-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I would not point the toes out further.

Like others have said, upper body positioning looks good, and watch the tracking of the knees.

Tough to see much else w. the angle and resolution being what it is.

f=ma
02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
you might even consider a narrower stance with your toes more inward. personally, i like a very close stance with feet almost parallel