PDA

View Full Version : APT APEX Bench shirt

hamstring
01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Just joined today and already have my first post. I've been lurking on this site for quite some time and have found it to be a pretty good source of information.

Anyway I have a question. I have been a raw lifter for the past 8 years or so, aside from wearing briefs when squatting or pulling. Its been quite awhile (15 years), since I have had a bench shirt on and I tell you what, they have changed since the last time I used one.
I recently purchased the APT Apex single ply, because of the advertisement and information available on it and I am going to be lifting in NASA. Primarily the easy to learn and works for arched or flat benchers part got me to order this shirt.

My question is...
Does anyone have any experience with this shirt? I have a properly sized shirt. I remeasured today after my second real session in it and I am getting a bit discouraged.
I can just about raw press 405 and so far with the shirt on I can't even get it to touch with 515.

I have seen the videos of people just tossing it on and blowing weight out of the water and I don't get it. I could put 455 on the bar right now and literally sit and hang out half way down with little difficulty. The shirt gets that tight.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated. Or if you need more information ask away.

Thank you in advance for any input.

In case it helps, here (http://youtu.be/REda1zQo22Y)is a bit of video. Not much, but is all I have at the moment.

theBarzeen
01-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Good to hear that you are giving it a try.....

I know that people like to think that tossing on a shirt will magically add 300# to their press but it's not like that in the real world.

As far as the video.... it looks like your grip is pretty narrow, and you aren't really giving the shirt much of a chance to work, the bar never stopped moving. As soon as the shirt tightened up and started to resist you just bailed on it. It's going to be uncomfortable but don't be afraid to pull the weights in and let the shirt stretch. I've gotten people to touch weights in their 2-ply overkill shirts.... shirts which are MUCH more difficult to work than an Apex. Your shirt didn't lock up, you just bailed when the pressure started building. Don't sweat it, it does take some time to get used to it.

As far as learning to work the shirt. Look at the post from last week or so by Rob Luyando
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?147951-If-you-can-t-touch-don-t-blame-the-fukkin-shirt!

Rob, myself, and several lifters WAY better than me all comment on how to work a difficult shirt.
If all else fails go find a crew that has some experience using gear and start asking questions. Hands on experience will make your learning curve much shorter.

Good luck.

ScottYard
01-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Dont use boards yet either. Learn to touch before you mess with shirted boards

hamstring
01-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I do think that I bailed and pussed out a bit on the video lift, so there will be quite a bit of mental toughening and preparation along with the physical portion of the training. I'll keep after it and we'll see where we are after 3 or 4 more sessions.

drew
01-30-2012, 08:36 AM
You need to find someone nearby who knows how to use a shirt and go train with them. You CAN learn to use the shirt on your own, but it will take a lot more time than having someone experienced to help you. If you're not prepared to feel like your head is going to pop off, then get rid of the shirt and stick to raw.

Brian C
01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I had good success with the Apex. It got bad publicity, but it was never given a real chance. Easy to get on and very comfortable to wear. At 198 wearing a size 48, I could touch 455 and best meet lift was 510. Very forgiven groove too. Give it some time. You shouldnt be touching yet in 2 sessions or its too big. It took me a good 5-6 sessions before I touched.

ct67_72
01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Get your grip out wide. It will lessen your range down.
Otherwise from that video it looked ok, you just have to be patient and get used to the pressure. you still had pretty good downward momentum. Just need to keep tucked and pull it down to your chest. It takes patience and practice.
Get some better video your next time in it too