PDA

View Full Version : Whole Milk as supplement

bighollow99
01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
What up meat heads!

I was wondering outside of mixing whole milk in my post work out protein shake...it seems that outside more saturated fat whole milk may be the better option vs skim and 1%. What do you all think?

npalmieri
01-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Whole...."respect the redcap"

ZAR-FIT
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM
As a nutrient timing kind of guy... i dont like it post workout... i like to keep fats away from the workout... but 2 hours before or after workouts i'm all for. Gets those cals up for sure.

npalmieri
01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
"the redcap is my nightcap"

RhodeHouse
01-29-2012, 07:35 PM
If your stomach can handle it, awesome. Chris Johnson of the Tennessee titans drink chocolate milk with 3 eggs twice a day as a protein drink. Give that a try.

tom183
01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
According to this study, whole milk results in greater net protein synthesis post work-out than reduced fat milk:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16679981

mike mcgee
02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Tom,

Great link, very informative. I read some of the other articles that were linked on the page.

CarlP
02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Milk is magic.

Alex.V
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Tom,

Great link, very informative. I read some of the other articles that were linked on the page.

Did you read the full text articles, or just the abstract? Because reading of abstracts only is the number one way that bro science bullshit gets perpetuated.

If given a choice between reading abstracts and reading nothing whatsoever, I would advise you read nothing whatsoever.

That study found that if you give a bunch of untrained individuals milk after exercise, it increases threonine and phenylalanine uptake (which can be one sign of increased protein synthesis... and which we knew). It also found that whole milk raises threonine uptake in these subjects SLIGHTLY more than skim milk (barely statistically significant).

But there's a key caveat- it was only statistically significant when it was equal VOLUMES of whole milk and skim milk, which means, quite simply, when more calories were taken in (a cup of whole milk has more calories than a cup of skim milk). When the calories were equalized, the difference was no longer statistically significant.

Normally I would say that, to be fair, there was still a trend.... but when the sample size is only 8 people in each group, I couldn't even say that.

Therefore...

The takeaway is, more calories post workout = more muscle being built. If you shoot for 200 calories post workout, it doesn't really matter if it's whole or skim. If you want to build more muscle, make it 300 calories. Or 400. Or 500.

Whole or skim...doesn't really matter. Go with what you like.

Alex.V
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Actually, never mind. Go with beer.

CarlP
02-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Actually, never mind. Go with beer.

It seems to work for you.

Alex.V
02-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Nine times out of ten. The therapeutic dose is dangerously close to the vomit dose.

I feel like I totally killed this thread. :(

J.C.
02-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Skip beer and go for whiskey. Milk and whiskey is surprisingly nice. Good cold on a summer's day and good hot on a winter's eve.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_punch

Alex.V
02-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Skip beer

You're dead to me.

mike mcgee
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Belial,

I just said it was a great link... I didn't make a point to agree or disagree with anything stated. So there was no perpuetuating of any bro science bullshit here!!!

GazzyG
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
A pint of Hobgoblin or Old Speckled Hen does it for me.

I fact, got a bottle of Hobgoblin and a bottle of Goliath ready for tonight.

Alex.V
02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Belial,

I just said it was a great link... I didn't make a point to agree or disagree with anything stated. So there was no perpuetuating of any bro science bullshit here!!!

Hey, sorry mate, wasn't meaning to call you out there. No accusation intended, just pointing out that very often the abstracts give an incomplete story... and in this case, the stated "conclusion" in the abstract is actually WRONG. (This is the problem with lesser-known journals: their standards tend to be less stringent than the top pubs).

I very much understand that many people are not part of an academic or medical institution, and do not have full text access... in that case, just cautioning folks to be VERY careful what you're taking away from pubmed. If you're reading something from Nature, Science, or the like, you can safely assume the abstract's conclusion is fairly accurate. Otherwise, well, you're getting what you pay for. :)

Matteo Paolo
03-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I have found that whole milk and whole eggs to be important for me since i don't eat meat...as far as quality protein goes whole eggs and whole milk are a great quality source of protein..great for maintaining strength,muscle/bodyweight.

LilHillbilly
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I like this thread. It makes me feel even more secure drinking my 1,000 calorie quart of chocolate milk after every workout.

dynamo
03-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I solely drink skim unless its not available, for some reason the store on post only sells 2% and whole. Like everyone always says forever, just hit your macros and you'll be fine.

clsmilek
03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
1,000 calorie quart of chocolate milk after every workout.

:omg:

Rileigh
03-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Well Actually I really do not have enough knowledge about it but just cautioning folks to be VERY careful what you're taking away from pubmed. If you're reading something from Nature, Science, or the like, you can safely assume the abstract's conclusion is fairly accurate..

:confused:

Alex.V
03-09-2012, 05:51 AM
He likes he so much that he quoted me.

Invain
03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Man, nothing makes me rage more than a shit study with an abstract taken completely out of context.

Also, given my science background, I really have a problem with frivolous studies like this. I know it all comes down to getting a grant for whatever you can, but some of the stuff I read blows my mind.

Did you read the full text articles, or just the abstract? Because reading of abstracts only is the number one way that bro science bullshit gets perpetuated.

If given a choice between reading abstracts and reading nothing whatsoever, I would advise you read nothing whatsoever.

That study found that if you give a bunch of untrained individuals milk after exercise, it increases threonine and phenylalanine uptake (which can be one sign of increased protein synthesis... and which we knew). It also found that whole milk raises threonine uptake in these subjects SLIGHTLY more than skim milk (barely statistically significant).

But there's a key caveat- it was only statistically significant when it was equal VOLUMES of whole milk and skim milk, which means, quite simply, when more calories were taken in (a cup of whole milk has more calories than a cup of skim milk). When the calories were equalized, the difference was no longer statistically significant.

Normally I would say that, to be fair, there was still a trend.... but when the sample size is only 8 people in each group, I couldn't even say that.

Therefore...

The takeaway is, more calories post workout = more muscle being built. If you shoot for 200 calories post workout, it doesn't really matter if it's whole or skim. If you want to build more muscle, make it 300 calories. Or 400. Or 500.

Whole or skim...doesn't really matter. Go with what you like.

ronymac
03-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Core benefits

* Keeps milk fresh for 24 hours
* Encourages feed intake
* Enhances digestion
* For the whole milk feeding period
* Mixes into whole milk or milk replacer
* Easy to handle