PDA

View Full Version : Greenhorn needing guidance

JKD77
01-30-2012, 03:12 PM
I`ve been following IF program for roughly 4 weeks now & although I do see some positive change, I`m not sure if I`ve hit a plateau or just peaked & will not see any more change....

Back in my 20`s, I hit the 270lbs mark & was diagnosed as morbidly obese & I`m only 5`6..... Then I began martial arts training, since then, I lost roughly 100lbs in about 8 months. It has been ten years now & cannot find a way to cut anymore fat. I am currently at about 175-180lbs, still jiggly-fat (which I find devastating) & I have seen some positive change but not much. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or just peaked & must accept what is......

The Rundown:

(Current Stats)-5`6 tall - 175/180lbs
Mon/Wed/Fri - 5x5 StrongLifts Program
Workout A:
Squats-250lbs-5x5
Bench-185lbs-5x5
Barbell Rows-200lbs-5x5
Pulldowns (underhand)-190lbs-3x8
--------------------------------------------
Workout B:
Squats-255lbs-5x5
Overhead Press-185lbs-5x5
Deadlifts-250lbs-3x5
Curls-45lbs-3x8
Cable Tricep Extensions-90lbs-3x8
---------------------------------------------
Tue/Thurs/Sat/Sun
Low Intensity Cardio
60min walking (Incline 3.5 - Pace 3.5)
45min cycling (Low Intensity)
Mon/Wed
1hr/30min Martial Arts Training

I train in the morning (6-7AM), coffee 15min before any workout, (coffee after any workout to kill any hunger)
Eat at 1pm (currently I`m on a 24hr IF)

Workout Days or Rest Days, I consume roughly between 1600 to 1800 calories. I think if I consume less calories I will lose more fat... ????

Should I be patient & continue with the program or change something??
Or accept that because I was morbidly obese, that I have peaked & will not change unless I have surgery? (i.e. Lipo/Abdominoplasty)
I`d like to get down to 155-160lbs (if at all possible)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
REST DAYS:
Cal: 2430
Pro: 270g
Carbs: 90g
Fat: 110g
--------------------------
WORKOUT DAYS:
Cal: 2970
Pro: 270g
Carbs: 360g
Fat: 50g

Calculated these figures on an IF website*
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My actual macro for both rest & workout days is:
Cal: 1600/1800
Pro: 115/120g
Carbs: 120/130g
Fat: 50/60g
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I eat pretty much the same thing everyday so I don`t have to spend too much time crunching numbers every time I have to eat. (hectic schedule)

Meal replacement shake mixed with whole ingredients such as:
Raw egg whites, 1% milk, oatmeal, almonds, yogurt, frozen mixed berries, fat free pudding, PB, sometimes apple sauce…

Sometimes on the side I will have:
Brown rice
Chicken breast
Kosher hummus
Raw peppers
Swiss chard
Fish

I don`t add salt to any of my meals
I drink roughly about 3.5 up to 5 litters of water per day
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats about it,

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,
The GreenHorn AKA JKD77

Peace

April Mathis
01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
It sounds like you lost weight way too fast.

1600-1800 calories sounds too low. Probably your metabolism has slowed down too much. The 2400-2900 figures sound more like average what it should be at about the bodyweight you're at (although it is different for everyone obviously).

However, if you said you are seeing positive changes in the last 4 weeks, then maybe what you're doing is working.

JKD77
01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Should I go up to calorie maintenance?
What do you think about "Calorie Cycles"?
Will that help increase my metabo?
Some say I should increase my HIIT ...

ZAR-FIT
01-31-2012, 11:39 PM
never kill your hunger... your body needs the fuel to keep buring. Have something to eat after that morning training session. It'll keep your metabolism burning through the day.

ZAR-FIT
01-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Read Allen Cress's Contest Prep journal... check out his diet... and adapt it from there....
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?145746-ALLEN-S-PRE-CONTEST-JOURNAL-2012

djpc
02-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Maybe I am misreading but it sounds like you are essentially vegan? If that is not a conviction you insist on, the first thing you might consider is getting most of your protein from a variety of lean animal sources which can of course include eggs.

Edit: Okay, I read more carefully and see that you are not totally avoiding animal protein. You still might consider making it more of a staple rather than an occasional side item.

From your background it sounds like you also might be of the percentage of the population that is very sensitive to high glycemic carbohydrates, so you could try replacing as much of your higher glycemic carbs with plain old vegetables which have a lower glycemic load, good fiber, and a variety of micro nutrients; and to a lesser extent some fruit. It's far from convenient, but nutrition is probably the top contributor to leanness, and the investments probably worth it. And the advice not to starve yourself after exercise is a good one, it's a very important time to nourish your muscle. You may or may not need more calories, as that is more a function of your lean mass and activity level, not your total mass. If your seeing improvements change things slowly, and if you're going just by weight, the scale can be deceiving. If you have a way to get your BF measured periodically, that's a better source of feedback. One last suggestion is that maybe you could occasionally replace low impact cardio for shorter stints of more intense metabolic conditioning and force your body to adapt to some new stimuli.