PDA

View Full Version : marine cardio training

bgb1990
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
sorry for posting this in the wrong section, i just wasnt sure where exactly i could put this. i am training for the marines Officer Selection School and there are a few physical requirements you have to pass to be selected. The test is broken down into 3 parts, pull ups, crunches, and a 3 mile run. I am confident in my ability to get the pull ups and crunches but i am very concerned about the 3 mile run. To get a perfect score you need to run it in 18 minutes or less, and i am definitely more of a weight lifter as opposed to runner.

Anyone have any training methods that would help in reducing my mile time down to atleast close to 18 minutes? i have about 4-5 months to complete this. thanks

ZAR-FIT
01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
No better way to train for a run test than to start running bro...... start jogging 3-4 times a week... ease into it. 20 minutes and work up from there... when you can jog for 45 straight, up the intensity.... start interval running/jogging... step up the intensity of the run by doing your 45 minute distance in less... 4 months of this and you could eventually sprint the whole damn thing.

JJD975
01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
You can improve your ability to run rather quickly, you'll be surprised. Best thing to do is simply get out and run. My neighbor does Iron Mans and suggests running various distances and paces. So maybe one day go 3-4 miles at an easy pace and on another go hard for 2 miles. Thtas not exact but you get the idea.

bgb1990
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
ok thanks.

Littleguy15
02-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Thats the same physical fitness test we follow on the enlisted side. The thing I always did when I was more into runningn than lifting was do more circuit training and crossfit type workouts and run the test once every 2 weeks or so to track my progress. Its also best to find a few different spots to run the 3 miles. I have had to run it on track with 1/4 laps, on a road 1.5 mile there and back, and a looped course.

CarlP
02-11-2012, 06:16 AM
You might take a look at Couch to 5k. It starts off alternating short running and walking times and eases you into longer runs every week. I've been following it for a few weeks now, and I'm making big improvements.

K Y L E
02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I did cross country and track for 3 years in high school, and the main way we trained for our 3 mile meet runs was:
Monday: long run, as far as you can don't worry about time
Tuesday: short run, about 1.5 miles with medium intensity, and core workouts after
Wednesday: this was our meet day, we ran 3 miles in the fastest time possible
Thursday: Speed day/hill training
Friday: insane run, on Fridays, we'd run as far as possible in an hour

If you have trouble even getting the 3 miles done, get to a track and do 1.5 miles twice a week, and have a speed/hill training day. Your endurance builds up really fast this way.

bgb1990
02-11-2012, 06:05 PM
awesome thanks kyle and everyone