PDA

View Full Version : Training for military and powerlifting

Phyde2
01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for some advice on an issue of mine. I am looking at taking the plunge into military life and join the Air Force when i graduate my college. They have a career in aerospace physiology and I am a physiology major thats why Air Force. I am currently 210-215lbs and need to cut down to around 185. I also need to increase my 3 mile time.

Problem is I am an avid powerlifter and I know I am going to struggle with quite a bit of mental anquish in losing pounds of my total. I am a year out from graduating so I was thinking about slowly working up to 4 steady state days and 2 prowler days. Of course cleaning up my diet too.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*This is not a "Give me a exercise routine cause i wanna be a bad ass I swear guys

RhodeHouse
01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
I would look at the big picture. If you really want to join the Air Force and kick ass, then you need to put powerlifting on the back burner. Powerlifting and prepping to join the military are on opposite ends of the fitness spectrum. I'm not saying you can't train like a powerlifter, but with all the conditioning work that military life and basic training calls for, your strength will drop. You can't serve two masters. However, once you're in the Air Force and stuck behind a desk all day you may have the opportunity to get your sterngth and weight back up.

If I were you, I'd get your ass in crazy great shape for Uncle Sam. powerlifting ain't going anywhere. In the process of training, you'll find some great things that you'll be able to use when you decide to come back to powerlifting.

if you try to do both, you'll suffer because you just won't be as strong anymore. It's not worth the frustartion. Train, have fun and enjoy the process.

Phyde2
01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks Rhodes. I really appreciate the input!