PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who cut for a meet, how do you do it

vdizenzo
02-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I usually manipulate my water to cut, but I really hate it. I can't stand the overhydrating for a couple of days and then not being able to drink at all for 24 hrs. I'm only planning on having to cut 10 lbs for my next meet. I'm going to try and cut them by only eating a few tbsp of pb and drinking only 12 oz of water for 24 hrs. I'm going to give it a practice run next week.

At 285 a 10 lb cut should be pretty easy. I just hate the anxiety that goes into a cut sometimes. However, this plan seems pretty simple, if it works. I'll see how it goes.

Curious to hear the thoughts of others on my plan and your own cutting plans.

Lones Green
02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm done with doing this until money or world records are on the line, haha. It's such a wildcard for me. So hard to predict if I'm going to do well with it or not.

Vincent, if you do a search for "water cutting" you should find a thread I made FOREVER ago (4 years or so) asking for tips. I got some real good ones.

How do you plan on doing yours this time?

Rob Luyando
02-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Waterload some, Get some XPel from MHP take it three days out and hot bath or sauna

Phyde2
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I feel like cutting kcals will really just sap your energy and strength levels. If it is the 24 hour weigh in you would probably be fine, just buy low sodium peanut butter so you still flush out water and prevent retention.

Definatley do the dry run first and see how you feel.

ScottYard
02-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Is it 2 or 24 hour?

vdizenzo
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
24 hr Scott. Rob, I hate waterloading. That's why I am staying at 10 lbs instead of 20. I hate waterloading. My feeling is at 285 a 10lb cut might be easy.

vdizenzo
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Waterload some, Get some XPel from MHP take it three days out and hot bath or sauna

Alright, let's say the weigh in is on Friday morning. Do I take the xpel for Tues, Wed, Thurs while increasing water intake. Keep food the same. Thursday night take the hot bath. Don't drink anything until weigh ins the next morning. Perhaps take the hot bath in the morning if I need to drop another lb or two.

drew
02-02-2012, 05:53 AM
I just do whatever you tell me to. I don't ever feel anxiety about cutting weight. If it's something I decide to do, then I find it actually shifts my focus away from the meet and for me that's a very good thing.

ScottYard
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
When i was 285 and cutting to 275 with a 24 hour weigh in i kept it simple. I would cut carbs the day before weigh ins then Skip dinner and no fluids after lunch. I could do 10 lbs very easy like ths at285.

Rob Luyando
02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Alright, let's say the weigh in is on Friday morning. Do I take the xpel for Tues, Wed, Thurs while increasing water intake. Keep food the same. Thursday night take the hot bath. Don't drink anything until weigh ins the next morning. Perhaps take the hot bath in the morning if I need to drop another lb or two.

You answered your own question young grasshopper. 10 lbs for guys our size isn't shit to cut. You don't have to full bore waterload two gallons tops. Cut your sodium out wed evening and just eat clean and do everything else you stated. We sweat taking a shit 10 lbs is easy.

Niko_El_Piko
02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Our weigh ins are 2 hours before the meet. My last 2 meets I had to cut 8 Lbs.
I usually take at least one gallon of fluid a day. The week before the meet I take 2 gallons a day, and cut ALL flour derived products, yogurt and cheese. I only eat fresh vegetables (plenty of olive oil) and fruit, together with chicken, white fish, egg whites and beef. Before going to bed some almonds/walnuts. Supplement with protein shakes and Fish Oil.
12 hours before the weigh in (usually 8AM), I cut all fluids or limit the consumptions to a couple of sips of pure and fresh lemon juice (only one lemon). This will increase urination.
Next morning I wonít have any breakfast or water until weigh in.
After weigh in, I drink a lot of apple juice or water. After that Iíll eat peanut butter & jelly & wheat bread sandwich and two apples/bananas.
Then a 16oz Gatorade and I am ready for the meet.

vdizenzo
02-10-2012, 07:34 AM
When i was 285 and cutting to 275 with a 24 hour weigh in i kept it simple. I would cut carbs the day before weigh ins then Skip dinner and no fluids after lunch. I could do 10 lbs very easy like ths at285.

I did 8.5 lbs this way. Only drank about 20 oz of fluid mostly all before 2:00. I had a few tiny sips of water later in the day. All I ate was two small meals of chicken and veggies. Felt fine the whole time and was able to sleep great which was a problem I had on my last few cuts.

For the meet I will do exactly the same thing. In the am I will take a hot bath and throw on the sauna suit to take off the last 1.5 on the drive to RI to weigh in. Glad I practiced.

Now I get to enjoy a bit of a refeed today. Sweet!

ScottYard
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Nice. Get after it come meet day!