PDA

View Full Version : Rebooting my goals- Ironman Cozumel, 1900+ total, and a lot of pain.

Pages : [1] 2

Alex.V
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Time to start this fresh... picking up my journal where it left off, with two major changes: I've dropped the ultramarathon. Quite honestly, I don't have the desire to run/walk for 20+ hours, I'd rather be fast. So I've opted for a full Ironman this year (in November), two of the most grueling bike races I could find on the east coast, (Blood, Sweat, and Gears, and Assault on Mount Mitchell), as well as upping my 3 lift goal to 1900.

The other thing that's changing- most supps are pure hype, but I've spent a crapload of time researching the ingredients in RESULTS. Bottom line: I'm pretty damn sure it's going to help me. Quite a bit. I'll be burning 8000+ calories a week in cardio/aerobic training, while simultaneously trying to get stronger. Anything that increases work capacity and improves recovery (the data on HMB is VERY interesting when it comes to anti-catabolic indicators) should be a tremendous help. I started it last weekend, put in a few workouts thus far. Part of what I'll track are overall indicators of overtraining, soreness, etc. I've been at this long enough to know my baseline. My hunch- it's the perfect supplement for endurance athletes as well.

Generally, some might gather from my posts that I'm the no bullshit type. I don't do a lot of crazy diet manipulation, I don't bother with most supplements, and my workout routines are fairly simple. I don't have great genetics- never have. I don't come from a long line of athletes, I have limbs that are too long for powerlifting, but too short for running and biking. Obesity runs in my family. So does laziness.

So, I got no shortage of excuses. But I got dedication, and the ego/pride that most of us has that dictates that whatever we do, we want to do it damn well.

And this is where I'm starting:

Bench press- 465 shirted for a single
Squat- 635 in briefs, best in suit unknown (600 x 2 was easy)
Deadlift- 645 no equipment. Bear in mind, hamstrings have been fried for the last month.

Longest training ride: 90 miles with hill repeats
Longest run: Last marathon was almost a year ago, longest recent run has been 15 miles
Longest swim: ~1.5 miles in the ocean
Fastest mile: 4:45 or so
Fastest consumption of a Dogfish 120 minute IPA- seven minutes, thirty six seconds.

Bodyweight: 224.

Alex.V
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Recap of the last week: Getting the feel of my new Centurion, squatted 600 for an easy double (solid depth) with suit and belt (no wraps) last Thursday.

Did some brutal hill repeats (200 meters in length, 18% grade, 5 times) to cap off a 70 mile ride last Saturday.

Doing a lot more band work on bench, going to need to invest in some chains, and some boards.

Fruit punch Results tastes pretty damn good.

Krispy Kreme challenge this saturday.

chevelle2291
02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Are you competing Cat 5 for those races? if so, may god have mercy on your soul.

If you can, try to get into cat 4 at the very least. Cat 5 is a crashfest, and cat 4 isn't much better.

Alex.V
02-02-2012, 05:34 AM
No cat racing crap, thankfully. Not a USA cycling event that I know of- most of these big east coast rides/races (Six gap (though they have the crit), mm, BSG) are open entry, mass start.

LuNa
02-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Krispy Kreme challenge this saturday.

:drooling:

Im liking the changed goals. 1900 total will be pretty damn cool!

Invain
02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
I'll be interested to see your thoughts on Results. I was sent a tub a year or two ago and to be honest I wasn't super impressed. I've been thinking about giving it another shot however.

CarlP
02-02-2012, 08:39 AM
You're crazy. I love it. I like the fact that you throw in the different beers with your diet and workout.

Alex.V
02-02-2012, 08:41 AM
We'll see, Luna, depends on whether or not my body falls apart. :)

Invain- That's part of what I'm curious about- the beta-alanine (spec. IM carnosine concentration data) shows an increase in repeat sub-maximum anaerobic work capacity- my thinking is that this sort of improvement will be much more noticeable in a sport where this kind of activity is more routine. (i.e.- hill climbing or sprinting for cyclists, rugby backs and football wideouts, or even more hypertrophy-focused strength training, where higher rep routines are common). As for HMB, the meta-analysis shows a fairly clear distinction between trials where a positive impact was seen and where no impact was seen... for the former, these were trials where there was an increase in overall training load, a new training stimulus, or any other situation where catabolism was markedly increased.

Overall, the emphasis seems to be anti-catabolic activity and, between beta-alanine and creatine, an overall increase in anaerobic work capacity. I'm thinking about getting a few of my friends to try it (a few avid cyclists, an ultramarathoner, a serious climber) to see if they see positive changes as well.

We'll see, of course, but I have pretty positive hopes.

Alex.V
02-02-2012, 08:51 AM
You're crazy. I love it. I like the fact that you throw in the different beers with your diet and workout.

Hey man, beer is both the cause of and the reward for my success!

Alex.V
02-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Pulled yesterday on my ME lower day... Worked up to 600 x 2. Hamstrings still sore as shit from too many hill repeats. Need to fluctuate the volume there, and refocus on working my lower back. Did some SLDLs as well, 405 x 6 for a few sets.

Might need to take the next two or three weeks off pulling from the floor, give myself some time to recover and get over my mental block. Also need to work with my coach to ramp down some of the interval/sprint work.

As I've maintained, anerobic endurance work is the enemy of maximum power output.

Stumprrp
02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Good luck on your goals man. Training looks intense.

Alex.V
02-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Thank you sir. It is mad intense. I am currently hard at work downing a 750 ml bottle of Kasteel Cuvee de Chateau in preparation for the Krispy Kreme challenge tomorrow. Five miles, one dozen donuts. Hell yes.

Alex.V
02-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Weekend update:

Friday was a rest day, and much needed. This new schedule is kicking my ass- only one day off a week.

Saturday, up bright and early for the Krispy Kreme challenge... 2.5 mile run, 12 donuts, 2.5 mile run.

http://www.krispykremechallenge.com/

Did pretty well, actually. Started way up front with my coach (she takes this event pretty seriously, which is awesome). We went out at about a 6:30 pace for the first 2.5 miles... she got into the KK a bit before me. I took down the 12 donuts in about 4-5 minutes, then on the way out grabbed another one from an eight year old spectator who probably thought he was being funny offering them to people coming out from the store. Yeah, real funny, kid. Bet you thought you'd have all dozen for later. HA! Anyway. Maintained a 7:30 on the 2.5 miles back, but more importantly, didn't puke.

Overall, averaging a 7 minute pace for 5 miles is pretty good for me. Actually, it's very good, since most of my running has been slower paced.

The kids who win this thing are mostly local UNC or NC state XC guys. Screw them.

Did about three hours of biking in crap weather, and then a DE leg workout. Did some explosive box squats, high bar oly squats, then some speed squats in briefs. Overall not bad, box squats with 365 felt like absolutely nothing- speed on the concentric was almost as good as my fast warm up sets with 135, which is what I wanted.

After a week on Results, I have to say I'm feeling pretty good. The run still surprised me- I'm curious if the beta-alanine has kicked in already. When I've used it in the past, it's been about two weeks before I noticed a real uptick in my running/DE day performance, but I'll be damned if I'm not doing a bit better than expected already.

FearFactory
02-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Dear Belial,

Subbed.

Coke
02-06-2012, 11:15 AM
You keep going, and going, and going, lol - no stopping you Alex.

J.C.
02-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Ah, here you are. Good to see you're still posting. What are your thoughts on ETS? It seems that could be relevant to endurance athletes with high training volumes.

JSully
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
KK challenge is admirable.. though, you won't catch me running 2.5 miles for anything, lol..

good work in here, interested re: results. I've been wanting to give it a second chance lately as well.

Alex.V
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Subbed? I don't get it. :( Substituted? Subtitled? Subdued? I'm on zero coffee...

Thanks Coke!

J.C.- it's been ages since I've taken it, and it's a good reminder, I probably should. I recall when I was marathon training for the first time I took microlactin, and had close to zero knee problems. I might pick up a bottle once the cycling seriously kicks in and give it another shot. Honestly, I wish there were more data on it- I hate to go strictly off my own experience when I'm not strictly trying to control for it.

Man, the KK challenge... yeah. It was a good time. But even a dozen KKs isn't worth 5 miles. Not at that speed. Lining up with all the cross country guys at the front made it a painful experience. Couldn't just let em all smoke me. Skinny little fucks. I should have killed and eaten them on the way for sustenance.

Definitely give you the update on results as things progress. This week I've got squats again, then some hill repeats on a local road with about an 18% grade... if I can handle those without cracking after the second (like last time), I'd say it'd be a very good sign.

FearFactory
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Subbed? I don't get it. :( Substituted? Subtitled? Subdued? I'm on zero coffee...

Thanks Coke!

Obrigado Coke!

Alex.V
02-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Squats were pretty awesome. I'm pretty stoked, I've been running or biking every single day since last saturday, and my legs still feel fresh.

Wednesday was about an hour doing intervals on the indoor bike trainer, which is about as much fun as it sounds. No hyperbole needed.

Thursday, really broke in the suit:

Squats:

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 4
315 x 4
Belt from here on.
405 x 4
495 x 2
Put on suit, straps down + belt
495 x 1
545 x 2
585 x 2
straps up
625 x 2
635 x doh. (Cut depth)

Felt very good, very easy. Good power out of the hole, smooth sailing all the way up. Still surprised my legs were so fresh.

Trap bar deadlifts:
4 pps x 8
5 pps x 5 x 4

Meh. Can't load this up enough to make it a challenge.

Single leg press for a few sets, windshield wipers, then a quick 3 mile run to cooldown.

Today is a rest/carb up day. After destroying my legs for almost an entire week, I'm interested to see what kind of pace I can maintain for a 50 mile bike/10 mile run.

btw, I'm taking in Results pre-workout... today I'm probably going to take it down at lunch.

Alex.V
02-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Aight, let's see, weekend workouts.

Bench day- speed day. Triples with 245 and a single light band around the back. Shoulder was bothering the crap out of me, took these light, focused on keeping a tight arch and not slowing down at the halfway point. Did some light tricep work, crossovers and the like, then got out of there. Wasn't worth the pain.

Went out and hit the bike... only a 50 mile ride, but the headwind was so bad for most of the course (point to point), that roads I usually average 25mph on I was averaging... 15. Ended up at the trail, ran another four, decided at this point I needed a beer.

Sunday- Legs, DE. Deficit pulls and overhead squats.

Deficit pulls off 3" of plates:

135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3
455 x 3 x 6

Good pulling, I'm pleased that with such a long ROM these were still explosive.

Single leg press, calf raises.. was going to go for a run but bailed. It was 36 degrees out.

Monday, 4 mile run @ 7:50 pace

Tuesday, ME bench, decided to press raw.

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 4
365 x 2
405 x 1
435 x 1
315 x 12

Happy that these are still strong. Shoulder wasn't bothering me at all. I have no idea what's up with it.

BB rows: 315 x 10, 405 x 4, 315 x 8

Cable rows, abs, curls (YES!!!)

2.5 mile run, easy 8:30 pace to loosen up.

J.C.
02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
BB rows: 315 x 10, 405 x 4, 315 x 8

That's some crazy rowing. I youtubed 405lbs barbell rows and there aren't many people doing decent reps with that weight. 315 x 10/8 ain't shabby either.

chevelle2291
02-15-2012, 10:43 AM
lmao, just read the assault on mitchell route. Pepper your angus. That climbing is going to hurt.

Whatdya usually do for ab strengthening exercises? Pussy question, I know, but i'm wondering what you've found best for helping stay upright in the squat.

CarlP
02-15-2012, 11:36 AM
lmao, just read the assault on mitchell route. Pepper your angus. That climbing is going to hurt.

Whatdya usually do for ab strengthening exercises? Pussy question, I know, but i'm wondering what you've found best for helping stay upright in the squat.

WTF is pepper your angus? I've seen it around here several times lately.

krazylarry
02-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Curls?! Ha, I knew that was your secret to being strong!

JSully
02-16-2012, 08:14 AM
That's some crazy rowing. I youtubed 405lbs barbell rows and there aren't many people doing decent reps with that weight. 315 x 10/8 ain't shabby either.

define "decent reps"

IMO, the reps should only be strict until you get to about 80%. Afterwards I believe some cheat (low back movement) is perfectly acceptable. Rows are a fantastic core exercise in addition to upper back. For those of us that don't do low back work (outside of deadlifts) some cheater rows are great. I'm not talking like standing all the way up into a shrug.. I'm just talking about a little english to get the weight moving and really pulling into your midsection. Not to mention the secondary posterior chain activation.

J.C.
02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
I believe some cheat (low back movement) is perfectly acceptable. Rows are a fantastic core exercise in addition to upper back. For those of us that don't do low back work (outside of deadlifts) some cheater rows are great.

I agree with this.

Alex.V
02-17-2012, 07:41 AM
I doubt my reps look remotely flawless- hard to keep the upper body totally immobile when hauling a high percentage of bodyweight. The 315 was pretty solid, though. :) The heavy set... definitely a cheat row or three in there.

Chevy- tell me about it... All that crap takes place in the last 20 miles, too. Because clearly that's when I'll be feeling my best. Going to try another 90 miler this weekend, do some hill repeats for the last ten and see if I survive.

Larry, damn straight. If you ain't got guns, you ain't got shit. Squats? Just an excuse to check out your flexed arms in the mirror.

Wednesday was an hour on the bike trainer.

Thursday, deadlifts:

135 x a bunch
225 x 5
315 x 4
405 x 4
495 x 4
545 x 3
605 x 2
635 x 1
495 x 10

I'm pulling like a pussy, still. 90 pounds off my max and it was slow. But the good news is I'm feeling less beat up on these than I was a few weeks ago. Hopefully they'll come back soon.

Trap bar shrugs, lateral raises, a bunch of stretching, and 3 miles at an 8:00 pace on my new shoes (taking it easy, breaking them in.) Did some drills- butt kicks, strides, etc. Asics Kayanos- awesome running shoes.

Today is carb up. Good times.

JSully
02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
is the mile time in your signature accurate? 4:42?

if so, fuck you.

*sigh*

Invain
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
is the mile time in your signature accurate? 4:42?

if so, fuck you.

*sigh*

Lol x 2. I honestly think if I tried to run a mile right now my time would be 10+ minutes.

f=ma
02-18-2012, 10:19 AM
hey i wanted to say thanks for the advice the other day, very much appreciated.

do you pull conventional? strong!

Alex.V
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
hey i wanted to say thanks for the advice the other day, very much appreciated.

do you pull conventional? strong!

No problem man, anytime.

I pull sumo- my leg proportion is all wrong to pull conventional, though I realized I should be doing more conventional work regardless.

Invain, Jake, my mile might not suck, but push the distance out to oh, say, two miles.... and there are literally ten year olds running circles around me. Y'all might be surprised at your mile times- there's something to be said for the pure stubbornness and pain tolerance that lifting instills in you. Of course, at about 1.5 miles your body simply tells you to go fuck yourself, and stubbornness no longer counts.

This weekend I spent a lot of time on my wee little bicycle. But first!

Friday- Mikeller's Beer Geek Brunch, still an amazing brew. As was the westvleteren 12 I had after it.

Saturday- DE bench work, absolutely nothing exciting here. Fast triples with 275, then did some reverse band work, and a whole shitload of shoulder stability miscellany. I knew I'd be hitting a long bike, so I didn't push it.

Bike- 91 miles, moderately hilly course, 5 hill repeats on this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/Blackwood.jpg

Only about 350 meters per repeat, but it's about an 18% grade.

This wasn't bad until about mile 89, at which point I bonked. Hardcore. I'm there in my granny gear trying to get up the little hill in my neighborhood and this fat dude goes blazing by me on a mountain bike. It hurt my soul.

Sunday I did legs, naturally. DE, mostly:

Squats:

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 5
Added briefs
405 + lights x 3 x 6

These were great... VERY fast, felt very easy. Amazingly enough, my legs stopped hurting after the warm up sets.

Good mornings with 275 (sets of 8), plenty of stretching, went home and didn't move.

Stumprrp
02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Great lifting Belial

CarlP
02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Friday- Mikeller's Beer Geek Brunch, still an amazing brew. As was the westvleteren 12 I had after it.

Leg work after 91 miles is impressive. But the real question is, how do you obtain a rare brew like the westvleteren 12?

Alex.V
02-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys. You mean this stuff?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/IMAG0207%20%281%29.jpg

I have my sources....

(ebay or belgianshop.com)

Stumprrp
02-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Good to see another craft drinker around.

larsen540
02-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Good job on the squats keep up the hard work

FearFactory
02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Are you sure you aren't part man, part machine?

Alex.V
02-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Good to see another craft drinker around.

drinker slash addict. ;)

Alex.V
02-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Adrian, thanks man.

FF- If so, this shit better be under warranty, because parts are going to start falling off soon.

Monday was a 5.5 mile run at a 7:45 pace around my favorite hilly as fuck trail. I have a part time running partner now (apparently) who enjoys trying to jump forward and pass me on the hills... which is good. I need that kind of push so I'm not just doing the big guy shuffle.

Tuesday, played with my bench shirt- Got a long way to go to get used to these things. I was letting it pull my elbows in too much at the bottom (as it loaded up), and that was killing me about five inches off the chest. So did a bit more rep work at lower weight, turned out ok:

Bench:

Bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 1
added shirt
405 x 2
445 x 1
405 x 4
405 x 3

Didn't really mean to go so high in reps... paused at the top of each and refocused, by the end they looked MUCH smoother.

Lower back is bothering me less after these as well- think my flexibility's improving, and I ALMOST have an arch now!

Windshield wipers and weighted pull-ups (+90 for sets of 10) to finish off, as well as EVEN MORE CURLS.

These were awesome.

Went out for an easy run afterwards, 3 miles, 8:15 pace.

GazzyG
02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Now this is a journal I can get behind! All this beer talk is making me thirsty!

You need to come to England, Belial, we have breweries older than your country! Some good ales to be had!

Also, your running times are insane. I can't even remember the last time I ran in anger...

JSully
02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
we have breweries older than your country!

that just sounds so badass

Alex.V
02-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Gaz, you gotta let me know the names of some good English/Scottish beers. I do love Harviestoun's Ola Dubh series... big fan of cask aged scottish ales and all. Not all that many English breweries with much distribution here though!

Did I post a picture of the spread for the party I'm hosting this weekend?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/IMAG0225.jpg

FearFactory
02-23-2012, 12:48 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuROOB6qqdoZG84FntVE2ls9lXRvnC5_oKoVCUE4F9mE9i6IYx

GazzyG
02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Right, mega post to follow.... be warned...

GazzyG
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
One of my favourite English beers is Hobgoblin, by Wychwood brewery.

http://www.eurobrews.com/images/hobgoblin/Whats%20the%20matter%20America%202.jpg

Seeing as I'm Cornish, I also enjoy a pint of Cornish Tribute, by St Austell Brewery.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTciR1lxKxjtMuC5XaMIeOfQXHTK6LyvDlgMCeVCAQ6cwn1KrOs0lNAOt-Mhttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTBnXetFxugx4CW9jC8wOkompcB7Z8VnF-cA6FrHnJCto_0zYXdA

Other good English breweries include:

http://www.drivingforbetterbusiness.com/pool/casestudy-greene5.jpghttp://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/var/plain_site/storage/images/publications/hospitality/morningadvertiser.co.uk/general-news/everards-artisan-pub-push/4684715-1-eng-GB/Everards-artisan-pub-push_dnm_large.jpg and a much more recent brewery, but still very nice, is http://www.ladybayrevellersmorris.org.uk/images/castlerock.gif of Nottingham (yes, Robin Hood Nottingham).

Some of the beers these breweries produce don't make it into big retailers but are instead brewed only for local pubs. A good example would be http://angelinnpub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/l_olde_trip.png which is brewed almost exclusively to be drank at http://www.fancyapint.com/media/pubimages/pic3428.jpg which is reputedly England's oldest inn, est 1189ad.

Anything by any of those breweries is WELL worth a tipple.

Right, beer-geek-fest over. I shall allow your lifting to recommence...

Alex.V
02-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Hobgoblin is damn good.

Just so you know, I did a quick printscreen of your post and am taking it with me to Sam's Quik Shop (an unbelievable beer store in this area)... I do believe I've at least seen most of these in there, simply have not purchased... (If I see low ABV, I often glance over, which is obviously a bad habit!)

Nobody really does a bitter like the English.

Castle Rock, have heard of as well and never picked up. I've been on a bit of a Belgian kick for the last year, but do clearly need to branch out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Alex.V
02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
Yesterday was ME legs, btw... more practice with the suit. Did squats:

bar x lots
135 x 8
225 x 8
315 x 8
405 x 4
added belt
495 x 2
added suit, straps down
545 x 2
straps up
585 x 2
605 x 2
645 x 1
645 x 1 (Last single felt a bit shallow)
615 x 3 (Really just testing how much I had left in the tank)
no suit or belt
315 x 10

These felt pretty good- damn do I need practice, though. Thankfully the suit I'm using (Centurion wide stance) pretty closely tracks my squat stance, so I don't need to make any MAJOR adjustments.

Single leg leg press, who gives a crap how much weight or reps. Calf raises, stretches, then

Run- 4.2 miles @ 7:45 pace.

Easy.

That's it.

GazzyG
02-24-2012, 06:02 AM
All that leg work, followed by a run? You're a mental person!

And nps on the beer! You know us Brits, we like a pint lol. And I'm with you on the European stuff, some nice beers out there, even the lagers, though I'm not generally a lager drinker.

f=ma
02-24-2012, 06:08 AM
strong. how wide is your stance? do you ever use briefs only? ive contemplated getting some just for fun. which cozumel are you going to do?

/pestering

Alex.V
02-24-2012, 08:17 AM
All that leg work, followed by a run? You're a mental person!

And nps on the beer! You know us Brits, we like a pint lol. And I'm with you on the European stuff, some nice beers out there, even the lagers, though I'm not generally a lager drinker.

You and me both.. there are a handful of Marzen lagers I can stomach, but most of them, well.. waste of a beer!

What US brews have you tried?

Alex.V
02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
strong. how wide is your stance? do you ever use briefs only? ive contemplated getting some just for fun. which cozumel are you going to do?

/pestering

My feet are each about 8-10 inches wider than shoulder width (heels) with toes pointed out. hard to say exactly (I'm in a suit in the office right now, otherwise I'd stand up and test it), but more or less touching the sides of the power rack.

I do have a pair of old (fairly loose) Frantz briefs... I do like them for some of my speed work lately, since they do let me pop out more reps with less hip pain than I usually get... also, considering that long bikes torch my hamstrings and glutes, having a bit of support at the bottom is huge. They don't add a lot, but let me get down to depth without discomfort, even when sore.

I'm doing Ironman Cozumel, November 25th... got loads of time to train... running's going strong and bikes are excellent, so it'll be really just getting my swim up. And who gives a shit about the swim.

GazzyG
02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
You and me both.. there are a handful of Marzen lagers I can stomach, but most of them, well.. waste of a beer!

What US brews have you tried?

Can honestly say that very few US beers make it over here! The only stuff we tend to see is the massively commercialised stuff such as Bud and Coors. I'd really like to have a try of some proper American ales, see what they're like!

JSully
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
we have a few brewries here in phoenix, but alas, I'm not a beer guy.. lol..

I've heard great things about Kiltlifter and a few others..

Alex.V
02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm not a beer guy.. lol..

You're dead to me.

JSully
02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
You're dead to me.

*slow clap*

oh wait.. what?

Niko_El_Piko
02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Great training.
Ironman!??! Holy sh*t. Thats hard.

Can honestly say that very few US beers make it over here! The only stuff we tend to see is the massively commercialised stuff such as Bud and Coors. I'd really like to have a try of some proper American ales, see what they're like!

No Sam Adams?

Great advertising poster of Hobgoblin!

GazzyG
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Just had a quick check of Tesco website - Sam Adams is the only US beer they do lol. Most of their world beer is Polish/Indian. You can tell where we get most of our immigrants from, haha.

Alex.V
02-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Great training.
Ironman!??! Holy sh*t. Thats hard.

Nah, just a little splash in the water, a bike around the countryside, then a nice jog, right? :)

Gaz, man, I need to send you some good American brews. The craft beer culture here has produced some truly world class beverages!

Alex.V
02-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Saturday workout didn't count for crap, since it was just a quick lift and bike before I started cooking for the beer tasting party I hosted. Which, btw, beer list:

Dogfish 120 minute IPA
North Coast Old Stock Ale
Deschutes The Abyss
Dogfish Noble Rot
Rodenbach Vintage 2009
Nebraska brewing Black Betty
North Coast Old Rasputin
Bourganel Bier au Nougat
Mikkeller's Hoppy Lovin Xmas
Delerium Noel
The Bruery 4 Calling Birds
Heavy Seas Yule Tide Ale
Westvleteren 12
Founder's Backwoods Bastard
Leffe Bruin

And then made bacon wrapped scallops and apple chutney, goat cheese and pesto flatbread, roast duck, a whole bacon wrapped turkey, crab meat and chicken tacos, brie mac n cheese, roasted eggplant, shrimp ceviche...

I pigged the crap out.

Sunday: Accessory leg day.

Conventional deadlifts:
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 4
standing on 2" block (deficit pulls)
405 x 3
505 x 2
standing on a 3" block
505 x 2
545 x 1
315 x 10

Moved on to some basic shoulder work, calf raises, abs, then out for a run:

15 miles @ 8:45-9:00 pace
(10 mile easy warmup, 3 miles of intervals, 2 mile cooldown).

JSully
02-27-2012, 07:42 AM
pics of food?

Alex.V
02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
I was busy drinking.

JSully
02-27-2012, 08:25 AM
shameful.

btw, bacon wrapped scallops are amazazing

JSully
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/1011/chess-drinker-move-drunk-check-cubby-demotivational-poster-1291171776.jpg

JSully
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
ps

your inbox is full brah. i appreciate all the help and I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again!

Alex.V
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Fixed. No worries man, anytime. And please do.

GazzyG
02-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Good deadlifting, Belial!

And sounds like a great beer party! Like seeing the Leffe on the list!

Stumprrp
02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Screw those deadlifts, that menu is inspiring!

K-R-M
02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
I love your taste in beers. Reading Delirium and Leffe brings back memories. Happy to see I'm not the only who lifts here, stays lean and drinks a ton of beer weekly.

Ever tried making your own beers?

Alex.V
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
hahaha, I do enjoy that this journal mainly focuses on culinary and fermented delights. As it should be.

I DO, in fact, brew my own beer. I've done about a dozen batches thus far. Highlights have been a very solid IPA (the dry hopping and extended aging made it a winner), a great Belgian quad that's still aging (but thus far is promising), a solid pumpkin ale... misses have been a winter brown ale that just never quite aged properly and a belgian tripel made with brett yeast that just had a bit too much funk... You ever homebrew?

Stumprrp
02-27-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm all for craft beers, but being a fatass and on CBL i havent drank much lately. Guinness is a good alternative to a light beer IMO because its pretty low in cals/alcohol and has SOME malt taste.

Have you made any stouts/porters belial? how about some braised ribs to go with those? :thumbup:

CarlP
02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
I tried the Old Stock Ale recently. Definitely a sipper.

Alex.V
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm all for craft beers, but being a fatass and on CBL i havent drank much lately. Guinness is a good alternative to a light beer IMO because its pretty low in cals/alcohol and has SOME malt taste.

Have you made any stouts/porters belial? how about some braised ribs to go with those? :thumbup:

I've made one oatmeal porter... I kinda went nuts using a Belgian yeast, though, so it wasn't as smoky as it should have been. Guinness IS a good "light" beer.. there are some damn good saisons, though, that you can probably enjoy without blowing your calories.

Carl- yes, yes it is. And that's ALL you need.

Went out for a little run today to loosen up. 4.4 miles, 30 minutes. Or about a 6:45/6:50 pace? Not too terrible. Some fruit punch Results post run, and now a St. Bernadus Abt 12.

JacobH
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Saturday workout didn't count for crap, since it was just a quick lift and bike before I started cooking for the beer tasting party I hosted. Which, btw, beer list:

Dogfish 120 minute IPA
North Coast Old Stock Ale
Deschutes The Abyss
Dogfish Noble Rot
Rodenbach Vintage 2009
Nebraska brewing Black Betty
North Coast Old Rasputin
Bourganel Bier au Nougat
Mikkeller's Hoppy Lovin Xmas
Delerium Noel
The Bruery 4 Calling Birds
Heavy Seas Yule Tide Ale
Westvleteren 12
Founder's Backwoods Bastard
Leffe Bruin

Being a Beer-loving Nebraskan I was excited to see this on your list. There are truly some remarkable breweries here. Have you tried any of theEmpyrean Brewing Company (http://www.empyreanbrewingco.com/beers.html)'s beers? All of them (minus Lagers) are delicious.

J.C.
02-28-2012, 04:40 AM
This journal makes me want to try more American beers. I love my ales and I hear a lot of good things about the US microbrewery scene. There's a great beer shop near me, I should check out some of the names mentioned here.

As for British beers, I see Gaz mentioned Greene King - good brewery but their IPA really pisses me off. It's only 3.6% FFS! The whole point of an India Pale Ale is that it's meant to be stronger than usual, because that's what enabled it to be exported to India without going off. Any IPA under 5.6% isn't worth it in my opinion.

If you're tempted by unusual, distinctive beers then you should try and track down some Brewdog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrewDog). Very interesting, fun, strong beers.

I DO, in fact, brew my own beer. I've done about a dozen batches thus far. Highlights have been a very solid IPA (the dry hopping and extended aging made it a winner), a great Belgian quad that's still aging (but thus far is promising), a solid pumpkin ale... misses have been a winter brown ale that just never quite aged properly and a belgian tripel made with brett yeast that just had a bit too much funk... You ever homebrew?

I found the same. My IPAs have been consistent win. The only beers that have failed were a porter/stout that just didn't have enough body, and a Belgian lager-style brew that tasted a bit flat and sharp. I think it's very hard to do heavier brews at home. My experience anyway.

Oh, and good lifting.

Alex.V
02-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Brewdog is excellent- they have wide distribution over here. it's entirely possibly I've sampled their entire line.. :)

Alex.V
02-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Decent workout yesterday, still playing with the shirt- trying to learn to trust it.

Bench press:

bar x a bunch
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 4
405 x 1
added shirt
405 x 1
435 x 1
450 x 2 (didn't mean to do a second rep, but the first felt pretty easy)
no shirt
315 x 8

bench w/doubled lights (+180 pounds at the top)
225 + 180 x 6
245 + 180 x 3
275 + 180 x 1
315 + 180 x 0

This was hilarious. Hit a wall halfway up. Oh well.

Barbell rows (315), cable rows, windshield wipers, flags, CURLZZZ (65's), then a quick run:

2.5 miles, 8:00 pace (loosen up)
4 x 100 meter strides (25 meters lead up, 50 meter fast, 25 meter cooldown)

That was it. Went home.

dynamo
02-29-2012, 07:24 AM
your diet is an inspiration.

Alex.V
02-29-2012, 07:44 AM
your diet is an inspiration.

Thanks man, it takes a LOT of dedication to get in that full variety of beverages every evening. And a lot of trips to the beer store.

GazzyG
02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks man, it takes a LOT of dedication to get in that full variety of beverages every evening. And a lot of trips to the beer store.

I'm running to the beer store is where your mileage comes from!

Alex.V
02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
I may have a partial labrum tear. Would explain a lot. Got one of the best sports med/ortho guys on the east coast checking it out Friday. Helps to know people.

Did a quick bike today- 12 miles, 30 minutes. Hit some hills hard. Came home.

CarlP
02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
name change?

Alex.V
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes. Real name, even. Figured it was about time...

dynamo
03-01-2012, 07:42 AM
How do you manage the relatively high volume with the weights and the cardio? Add a little bit every week? I'm only doing the main lifts with 5/3/1 with my cardio and I'm scurred I'll get to looking like those male models who look like girls if I add any assistance work.

Alex.V
03-01-2012, 07:58 AM
How do you manage the relatively high volume with the weights and the cardio? Add a little bit every week? I'm only doing the main lifts with 5/3/1 with my cardio and I'm scurred I'll get to looking like those male models who look like girls if I add any assistance work.

Actually, the assistance stuff is relatively low volume.... it's really just the main lift for me, one secondary lift, then one accessory and abs/core. The accessory lifts aren't really that taxing anyway, it's more about the total cardio volume.

Hardest thing has been scheduling my workouts to maximize recovery for each particular muscle group- making sure that anything I'm taxing from a lifting standpoint is given sufficient recovery time before I hit it again. (Hence my thursday ME lower day is followed by a full rest day, which is also a carb loading day... and my tuesday ME upper day is followed by at least three days out of the pool, giving my upper body a break).

As far as assistance work goes, what were you thinking of incorporating?

dynamo
03-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Actually, the assistance stuff is relatively low volume.... it's really just the main lift for me, one secondary lift, then one accessory and abs/core. The accessory lifts aren't really that taxing anyway, it's more about the total cardio volume.

Hardest thing has been scheduling my workouts to maximize recovery for each particular muscle group- making sure that anything I'm taxing from a lifting standpoint is given sufficient recovery time before I hit it again. (Hence my thursday ME lower day is followed by a full rest day, which is also a carb loading day... and my tuesday ME upper day is followed by at least three days out of the pool, giving my upper body a break).

As far as assistance work goes, what were you thinking of incorporating?

Interesting, I do squats on tuesday to maximize my recovery for deadlifts on friday but now with cardio I'm not sure its enough time.

I was thinking about dips on bench day, leg extensions on squat day, dumbbell press on press day and good mornings on dead lift day and dropping the rest of the assistance lifts. I am usually rather intense with my assistance work, so maybe lower the weight, and keep to 3 sets of 10. How does that sound?

Alex.V
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't think that'd be a problem at all. The human body, I'm finding, has a pretty remarkable ability to adapt to whatever you throw at it. If your cardio's relatively low intensity, chances are you aren't appreciably exhausting your glycogen stores during those workouts, so your lifting shouldn't suffer all that much.

The assistance work, well, same thing really- a few sets of good mornings aren't going to hinder your recovery all that much. I don't know about leg extensions- I'd probably do single leg leg press or something similar instead, but otherwise... go wild and give it a shot. Certainly won't hurt- the overall work your system is doing week to week won't exactly explode, and you won't demolish your recovery. Just take care that you're going easy on, say, hill workouts and keeping your pace down for the first day or so after your leg workouts, to give things a chance to really start repairing.

dynamo
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Sounds good, I'll give it a shot, thanks!

JSully
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
quadruple workout post ftw, lol

Alex.V
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah, for some reason every time I tried to post the update, it said it was under moderation. I'm thinking, awesome, so I can post my usual worthless replies in general chat or some curmudgeonly bullshit in the diet section no problem, but I try to show folks that I actually DO work out, and it doesn't go through.

Oh well.

Alex.V
03-02-2012, 06:22 AM
Took it easy on my ME leg day- feeling a bit beat up, not sleeping enough, so just did some conventional pulls.

Deadlifts (conventional)
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 6
495 x 2
545 x 2
315 x 4

Haven't pulled conventional much at all, do sort of appreciate it. No need to rip so quickly, can just brute force the thing up and it goes. Might see how much I can push these in the future. it's certainly easier on my hips.... though not pulling 6 plates is sort of lame.

SLDLs:
405 x 10
315 x 12
315 x 12

More for the stretch.

Single legged leg press, some lateral raises (more for rehab), then went out on a short run:

Run: 5.2 miles, 8:15 pace.

I need a few days off, I think.

JSully
03-02-2012, 06:40 AM
though not pulling 6 plates is sort of lame.
this.

I need a few days off, I think.
and this.

I put in 90+ throws with a stone last week and ended up pulling my groin on saturday morning. What started out as a deload and throws only week turned into another deload week with no throws and rehab. *sigh* Gotta listen to the cues.

Alex.V
03-02-2012, 06:56 AM
this.

and this.

I put in 90+ throws with a stone last week and ended up pulling my groin on saturday morning. What started out as a deload and throws only week turned into another deload week with no throws and rehab. *sigh* Gotta listen to the cues.

Yes indeed. Sometimes your body occasionally informs you that it is no longer interested in doing much productive, and that you can fuck off thank you very much.

(I've always been a pussy pulling conventional, though... it's usually about 100 pounds behind my sumo)

JSully
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
(I've always been a pussy pulling conventional, though... it's usually about 100 pounds behind my sumo)

I'm opposite. I suspect adductor flexibility is a major issue (and hence an issue with the continued aggravation from stone throws). Highest I've pulled sumo is 495 and felt like it was going to rip my adductors off the bone. So tight, just not comfortable. I've got relatively short legs (30" inseam @ 6' tall) and a long arms/torso so conventional is fantastic for me (even then I'm still pulling less than you, haha). Bench is absolutely terrible though.

agree on "fuck off thank you very much".. they say your mind is your limit, hrmm... not so much for me lately, lol..

chevelle2291
03-03-2012, 12:29 PM
should take a vid of those deads/squats sometime. The stares in that gym would be worth it alone, haha.

Alex.V
03-04-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm opposite. I suspect adductor flexibility is a major issue (and hence an issue with the continued aggravation from stone throws). Highest I've pulled sumo is 495 and felt like it was going to rip my adductors off the bone. So tight, just not comfortable. I've got relatively short legs (30" inseam @ 6' tall) and a long arms/torso so conventional is fantastic for me (even then I'm still pulling less than you, haha). Bench is absolutely terrible though.

agree on "fuck off thank you very much".. they say your mind is your limit, hrmm... not so much for me lately, lol..

See, my problem with conventional is that my legs are stupid long. In fact, my mechanics are totally fucked overall. but lately, hip flexibility has gone to shit, so I might need to start working on conventional pulling.

Yeah, no, mind is willing, flesh is.. beyond weak. hahaha.

Chevy- man, I get funny looks in there even when I'm not lifting anything.

Saturday was a semi-DE bench day.

Bench press:

Bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 8
275 x 3 x 6 (all were quite fast)

Skullcrushers:

135 x 10
155 x 7
155 x 8

Hammer strength shoulder press (4 plates per side), 3 sets of 8
Cable crossovers, 3 sets of 8
Windshield wipers, hanging leg raises.

Sunday:

No lift. Just a bike.
Bike:

101 miles, ~17 mph

Fuck me, this hurt like a bitch. Didn't help that I went out for the first thirty miles with a friend of mine and we raced every hill.

My body has no fucking clue what I just did to it.

Alex.V
03-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Saturday was a semi-DE bench day.

Bench press:

Bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 8
275 x 3 x 6 (all were quite fast)

Skullcrushers:

135 x 10
155 x 7
155 x 8

Hammer strength shoulder press (4 plates per side), 3 sets of 8
Cable crossovers, 3 sets of 8
Windshield wipers, hanging leg raises.

Sunday:

No lift. Just a bike.
Bike:

101 miles, ~17 mph

Fuck me, this hurt like a bitch. Didn't help that I went out for the first thirty miles with a friend of mine and we raced every hill.

My body has no fucking clue what I just did to it.

GazzyG
03-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Pah, yeah, I always feel like a wuss whenever I don't pull 6 plates too.

PS - 101 miles??? Were you being chased by a lion?!

Alex.V
03-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Nah, the lion woulda caught me. I was slow as shit on that ride.

So my legs were toast but figured I had to get in a second, semi-DE leg day.

Decided to try pulling conventional, ended up being less DE than expected.

Conventional deadlifts:

135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 4
495 x 2
545 x 2
585 x 1
405 x 3

Yeah, that 585 was ugly as shit. I am not built for conventional.

Speed squats, light bands (+90 pounds at top)

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 3 x 8

Did some calf raises, came home. My legs are still fucking garbage from yesterday.

Chris Rodgers
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Who is this Alex character? Sounds made up to me :scratch:

I think if you do some consistent conventional pulling that it will benefit your sumo in the long run and you will pull even more. That's my my $.01 anyway(Only counts for 1 cent since I only weigh 165)

Alex.V
03-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Who is this Alex character? Sounds made up to me :scratch:

I think if you do some consistent conventional pulling that it will benefit your sumo in the long run and you will pull even more. That's my my $.01 anyway(Only counts for 1 cent since I only weigh 165)

He is. Just another shit name I made up. My parents ACTUALLY called me Belial. They didn't like me very much, clearly.

You're entirely right, of course, it probably should help my sumo... it still hurts my soul, though. :(

Rileigh
03-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Awesome log :)

In the back of my mind I've always had sort of a long term goal/inclination to compete in an ironman triathlon. So I'm very interested in how this works out for you, especially while lifting as heavy as you do too. Crazy!

Alex.V
03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Awesome log :)

In the back of my mind I've always had sort of a long term goal/inclination to compete in an ironman triathlon. So I'm very interested in how this works out for you, especially while lifting as heavy as you do too. Crazy!

Do it, man. Life is short.

Today was ME bench, again, played with the shirt.

BB bench:

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 1
added F6
405 x 2
425 x 2
455 x 2
Took off shirt, added single light band around the back
275 (+~50?) x 6 x 3

455 for a double felt pretty easy. I'm still a little unstable right at the moment the shirt unloads around 5" off the chest, though.

Close grips:

315 x fuck that, I have a torn labrum. wasn't going to happen.

BB row:

315 x 10
405 x 5

Cable rows with the stack (who the hell knows how much weight), curls with 60's (oooh), then went out for a run.

Easy run: 3.5 miles, 7:45 pace.

Wasn't even warmed up by the time it was done.

PS- fruit punch Results mixed with chocolate nitrean and vanilla almond milk.. pretty damn tasty.

I'm fairly pleased that I can bench 455 for a double the day after pulling 6 plates conventional, and two days after a full century bike ride. Means I'm keeping my stores topped up pretty well.

Alex.V
03-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Quick bike around the neighborhood. Had some cooking to do tonight...

Bike: 10 miles, ~23-24 mph. Attacked every little hill, burned myself out, went home and ate.

So I'm making quiche for an office party tomorrow.

Quiche gets a bad rap as a girlie dish. Fuck that. Ingredients:

-8 eggs
-8 pieces of bacon
-half a pound of cheese
-a cup and a half of cream.
-pie crust

It's god damn cheese and bacon pie. Quiche is the shit.

krazylarry
03-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Needs more bacon.

Rileigh
03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
That sounds amazing. Never had it before.

GazzyG
03-08-2012, 09:32 AM
I love Quiche, just gets a bit of a rap as a 70's party food, haha!

Alex.V
03-09-2012, 06:32 AM
There would have been more bacon, but I ate it before it got into the dish.

Seriously, THE best weight gaining food on earth. I had more for breakfast.

Which is good, I suppose, because my workout yesterday was the pussiest shit I have done in ages. Just had no leg strength, blood sugar doing all sorts of funky crap... I guess I'm still not 100% recovered from the bike last weekend. Which makes sense, I suppose... I more or less bottomed out my glycogen stores.

Squats:

135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 6
Added belt:
495 x 2
Added briefs:
545 x 2
605 x 2
Briefs off, suit on, straps down
405 + 90 pounds band tension x 10 x 3

Feeling balanced. But right before the 605 set I actually broke out in a sweat and nearly collapsed as my sugar levels bottomed out. Ate a bar. Felt better.

Went out for a 1 mile run to loosen up and get some fresh air, at about an 8:00 pace.

Came back: Single side leg press, 4 pps x 8 x 3 per side.

Calf raises, hanging leg raises, stretched a bit.

Need to stretch more.

However, one positive note:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/IMAG0238-1.jpg

GazzyG
03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Ate a bar. Felt better.

Dunno why, but had visions of you eating a barbell in the middle of the gym, to the amazement and terror of all onlookers.

Rileigh
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Nice job on the workout. Most people would have just given up after almost collapsing. Ahhh, it's a fine line between genius and... well I'm not sure what the politically correct term for it is these days. ;)

Dunno why, but had visions of you eating a barbell in the middle of the gym, to the amazement and terror of all onlookers.

I thought that too actually haha. After reading that he almost collapsed I thought he had dropped a barbell on himself thus "eating" it.

JSully
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
So I'm making quiche for an office party tomorrow.

Quiche gets a bad rap as a girlie dish. Fuck that. Ingredients:

-8 eggs
-8 pieces of bacon
-half a pound of cheese
-a cup and a half of cream.
-pie crust

It's god damn cheese and bacon pie. Quiche is the shit.

I hope you included sour cream, tomatoes and more cheese as a "topper"

delicious

Alex.V
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Nice job on the workout. Most people would have just given up after almost collapsing. Ahhh, it's a fine line between genius and... well I'm not sure what the politically correct term for it is these days. ;)

Being a damn moron? :)

I did almost eat it, it more ways than one.

Jake, man, I actually had some more this morning.... with extra cheese on top.

Today I did a crappy ass DE workout.

BB bench:

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
225 + single light x 3
225 + single light x 3
225 + single light x 3

Skullcrushers:

135 x 10
135 x 10
155 x 6

Cable crossovers, tricep pushdowns, dips/leg raises.... then went out for a little run:

12 miles @ 9:00 pace, 4 miles @ 8:30 pace, 0.5 miles @ 7:00 pace.

16.5 total.

I then ate a huge damn piece of salmon, ate a huge bowl of rice, had a chocolate chip bagel, some pumpkin cheesecake, and a whole crapload of beer.

JacobH
03-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Quiche...Beer....heavy things....I love this journal.

Behemoth
03-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Been following your log silently for a while, as always good stuff Alex.

315 x fuck that, I have a torn labrum. wasn't going to happen.

I tore mine last year and after an unsuccessful surgery am still unsure of what lies ahead for me, recently I've said fuck it and decided to just train with it but still don't know to what extent it may limit me as I attempt to progress. If you have a tear also then I'm extremely happy to see you're able to train successfully around it at a high level. Do you know the details of the injury - IE slap or bankart and what degree tear? And how long have you had it and trained around it?

And edit - Ever had long trail double bag? I just bought it for the third time yesterday, never lets me down. Highly recommend.

Alex.V
03-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Quiche...Beer....heavy things....I love this journal.

Also, don't forget lots of talk about running! Running talk is exciting. Ever heard two runners talking to each other about their passion?

"So, Bob, what'd you do this weekend?"
"Oh, ran 7 miles, what about you?"
"Ran 8 miles. Was going to do 10 but think I might just do another 3 tomorrow"
"Sounds good. I was thinking I'd do 4 tomorrow then maybe another 6 on Wednesday"
"That sounds fun too. I can't run 6 miles the day after running 4. 5 maybe, and maybe 6 or 7 at a really slow pace but...."

Runners are some boring sons of bitches.

Alex.V
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Been following your log silently for a while, as always good stuff Alex.

I tore mine last year and after an unsuccessful surgery am still unsure of what lies ahead for me, recently I've said fuck it and decided to just train with it but still don't know to what extent it may limit me as I attempt to progress. If you have a tear also then I'm extremely happy to see you're able to train successfully around it at a high level. Do you know the details of the injury - IE slap or bankart and what degree tear? And how long have you had it and trained around it?

And edit - Ever had long trail double bag? I just bought it for the third time yesterday, never lets me down. Highly recommend.

It's a Slap lesion, not sure the degree- I'm still scheduled for a contrast MRI, but it isn't until the 26th. Honestly, I'm questioning getting it at all- I realize I can still bench and swim without too much of a hit in performance, so I won't get the surgery this season..

I've seen your postings on it, and honestly, I think it's possible to train with the bloody thing being as it is. I've likely had it for about two months now- the real test will be once I start swimming again. I've discovered that close grip benching is right out, but with flared elbows the pressing power is still there. Quite honestly the biggest pain I ever get is when sleeping- any time the shoulder relaxes completely, I'll get these breathtakingly sharp pains.

I have not had the long trail. You, sir, have just given me a new item to acquire.

Alex.V
03-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Today was another cardio bunny day. After yesterday's 16-17 mile run, my legs were slightly toast. So, naturally, I did DE legs.

Sumo deadlifts (speed):
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
These were actually getting faster and faster as the sets went on. I've realized my suckie deadlift lately is probably due to incredible stiffness (and soreness)- I think I'm just going to have to warm up a hell of a lot more when trying to pull heavy.

Paused squats (3-4 seconds at bottom)
315 x 6
315 x 6
315 x 6

Good mornings:

315 x 4
225 x 10
225 x 10

Did some leg raises, then out for a bike. Btw, I was tanked at this point.

20 mile warm up
6 x ~400 yard hill sprints (15-20 degree grade, brutal as fuck.) Heart rate was well over 170 during these.
5 mile cool down.

I have been eating since 5:00.

Achel extra bruin is a solid beverage.

tom183
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Good to see the workload in here is just as impressive as your previous journal. Don't know how you do it, man.

GazzyG
03-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Nice workout, Alex.

Also, your shoulder injury seems similar to mine. I've had mine for about the same length of time too. Doesn't trouble me much during the day, unless I forget about it and reach for something quickly with that arm. However, at night time it really hurts if I lie on it or have that arm around my mrs.

Doesn't seem to be affecting my benching though and only seems to have a small impact on my OHP.

LuNa
03-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Good to see the workload in here is just as impressive as your previous journal. Don't know how you do it, man.

Must be the beer.

Rileigh
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Deadlifts and squats the day after a 16 mile run, followed by an intense bike ride. Crazy!

Just out of curiosity, about how many calories do you think you're consuming daily on average?

Alex.V
03-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Tom, Gaz, thanks guys.

Gaz- yep, similar in a lot of ways- OHP strength is next to nothing right now. I can still use machines, which let me get a bit of back arch and keep any rotational movement to a minimum, but it's a huge weakness of mine at the moment. So true, though, you forget about it but then even a small awkward or rapid movement triggers the pain all over again...

Just out of curiosity, about how many calories do you think you're consuming daily on average?

Good question... probably about 4500 during the week, then around 6000 on weekend days during long workouts. I don't truthfully track them that much- if I had to pick a number to shoot for I'd inevitably guess wrong and wind up either getting fat or wasting away... so I go with what I'm craving.

My weekly burn from aerobic activity is only around 8,000- not as bad as some people training for these events, so my diet doesn't have to be too nuts.

Yesterday was bench and a run:

Bench press:

135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 1
425 x 1
Added shirt
425 x 1
435 x 1
460 x 1
Without shirt
315 x 6

A bit of shoulder discomfort during the unracking (read: rice krispies sound), but once in the groove, no problems. 460 was fast, I was very happy. Keeping balance is a bit tough, though.

BB rows:

315 x 10
315 x 10
225 x 12

High rep stuff... FUN!

Did some cable rows, curlzzz with the 65's (I think), lateral raises, windshield wipers, hanging leg raises, then out for a run:

3.5 miles, 8:00 pace

Kept it nice and easy; I have that silly half marathon this weekend. I'm not exactly tapering for it- Since I'm shooting for a 4 hour marathon at the end of the Ironman, I'm not trying to do much stuff at faster than an 8:30 pace, and an 8:30 pace for 13.2 miles should be a breeze. Only concern is my plantar fasciitis and my knees- that much running on pavement won't be fun.

So I've been mixing the blue raspberry Results with chocolate protein, and I'm kind of addicted to it now.

Alex.V
03-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Tom, Gaz, thanks guys.

Gaz- yep, similar in a lot of ways- OHP strength is next to nothing right now. I can still use machines, which let me get a bit of back arch and keep any rotational movement to a minimum, but it's a huge weakness of mine at the moment. So true, though, you forget about it but then even a small awkward or rapid movement triggers the pain all over again...

Good question... probably about 4500 during the week, then around 6000 on weekend days during long workouts. I don't truthfully track them that much- if I had to pick a number to shoot for I'd inevitably guess wrong and wind up either getting fat or wasting away... so I go with what I'm craving.

My weekly burn from aerobic activity is only around 8,000- not as bad as some people training for these events, so my diet doesn't have to be too nuts.

Yesterday was bench and a run:

Bench press:

135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 1
425 x 1
Added shirt
425 x 1
435 x 1
460 x 1
Without shirt
315 x 6

A bit of shoulder discomfort during the unracking (read: rice krispies sound), but once in the groove, no problems. 460 was fast, I was very happy. Keeping balance is a bit tough, though.

BB rows:

315 x 10
315 x 10
225 x 12

High rep stuff... FUN!

Did some cable rows, curlzzz with the 65's (I think), lateral raises, windshield wipers, hanging leg raises, then out for a run:

3.5 miles, 8:00 pace

Kept it nice and easy; I have that silly half marathon this weekend. I'm not exactly tapering for it- Since I'm shooting for a 4 hour marathon at the end of the Ironman, I'm not trying to do much stuff at faster than an 8:30 pace, and an 8:30 pace for 13.2 miles should be a breeze. Only concern is my plantar fasciitis and my knees- that much running on pavement won't be fun.

So I've been mixing the blue raspberry Results with chocolate protein, and I'm kind of addicted to it now.

joey54
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
You should up those pauses to 7 seconds on the squats.

FearFactory
03-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Lol Matt is running with this.

joey54
03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Funny thing is dude's name is Matt as well. Ok Alex sorry to hijack. Resume ass kicking and beer drinking.

Alex.V
03-14-2012, 12:19 PM
It's cool man, I did one of those snortlaugh things. While reading that in a meeting, no less.

GazzyG
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Drinking some beer in honour of that bench session right now, bud.

Good stuff.

Alex.V
03-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Hopefully it was a good one!

Been a mixed few days on the workout front... was originally going to run in a race last weekend, but my calf's been bothering the hell out of me, and I think I jacked it up on Thursday.

Just to recap, though...

Wednesday: 10 mile TT-style bike workout. Averaged 24 mph, fastest I've done for this particular course (which is slightly hilly and has a few spots where slowdown is inevitable... tight turns, pedestrian crossings, etc.)

Thursday: ME deadlifts

Kept this light, as I thought I'd be running on Saturday.

Deadlifts (sumo):

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 4
405 x 4
495 x 2
585 x 1
635 x 1
495 x 3

Meh. Back was tight.

Single leg press, howevermuch x whatever.

Lateral raises, face pulls, went out for what was supposed to be an easy run.

Wasn't. Around mile 2.5 I pulled something in my calf... I have a feeling the long run on pavement last weekend is what did it. Could hardly walk. Made it back to the gym very, very slowly.

Saturday: DE bench

Bench press:
Bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 3 x 7
Added doubled lights:
225 (+180) x 2
225 (+180) x 2
225 (+180) x 2
225 (+180) x 2

All felt pretty good. Very fast.

Skullcrushers (155 for 3 sets of 6)
Hanging leg raises, dips (sets of 15), then went home.

Sunday: DE legs.

Squats:
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 2
Added briefs and single light bands:
405 (+90) x 3
405 (+90) x 3
405 (+90) x 3
405 (+90) x 3
405 (+90) x 3
No bands, no briefs:
315 x 12 (a few inches below parallel, just stretching out)

Good mornings with 315 for 2 sets of 6, a hell of a lot of calf stretching, then out for a bike.

Bike ride- easy pace: 103.5 miles, ~18 mph

Bonked hard around mile 100- I have a feeling my carb load was not what it should have been.

And that's that for the week.

JSully
03-20-2012, 08:52 AM
century rides ftw.. your work capacity blows my mind

Rileigh
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Sorry to hear about the calf. Your version of taking it easy seems to be skipping a half-marathon and doing a 103 mile run instead. haha.

Impressive as always with the lifting in addition to all the ironman training, keep it up!

Alex.V
03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey century rides ain't so bad. You literally just load up your little feed box with craploads of candy and go out and enjoy the weather. Err, and sweat a lot. Then I usually mix up a bottle of Results, a bottle of gatorade, then a bottle of salty water (squeeze in two lemons, add a teaspoon of potassium chloride, a teaspoon of salt, and throw in a few aspirin. It tastes like shit, but I'll be damned if it isn't exactly what I'm craving after a few hours out there.)

And then use the whole experience as an excuse to justify eating anything and everything you can get your hands on for the next 24 hours.

Maybe 36.

Or 48.

Anyway, Monday I sat on my ass.

Tuesday, I benched. Woo.

Bench press:

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 1
425 x 1
add shirt
435 x 1
455 x 1
470 x 1 (PR)
No shirt
335 x 6

This felt pretty damn good, went up very quickly. Wider grip than I've been using (by about half an inch on each side), definitely felt more pop out there.

BB rows:

315 x 6
315 x 8

cable rows, bicep curls (YES), windshield wipers, then out for a quick 1 mile run (since my calf is still hurting.

Today:

12 mile bike- 8 miles steady cadence on trainer, then out for 4 miles of sprints- 0.5 miles @ 30mph, 0.5 mile recovery @ easy pace.

Was kind of fun, actually hitting more like 35-40 on the sprints later on, was playing tag with cars out on the road in my neighborhood.

Chubrock
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Welp, glad to see you're still bat shit crazy...and alive.

Behemoth
03-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Alex, what kind of shoes do you run in and are you ever susceptible shin splints? As far as running goes I have no clue what I'm doing but have always had a desire to get into it to some extent. Any recommendations as far as technique or things to work on for someone whose shins and knees seem to take a beating? Do you frequent any forums or resources pertinent to those endeavors you'd recommend?

krazylarry
03-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Nice bench, the salt water tastes yummy.

Rileigh
03-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Nice job on the bench PR!

Alex, what kind of shoes do you run in and are you ever susceptible shin splints? As far as running goes I have no clue what I'm doing but have always had a desire to get into it to some extent. Any recommendations as far as technique or things to work on for someone whose shins and knees seem to take a beating? Do you frequent any forums or resources pertinent to those endeavors you'd recommend?

If you have knee and shin issues, barefoot type shoes can "sometimes" help. It's different for every person and largely dependent on your technique. I've read plenty of stories of people who thought they'd never run again because of knee problems pick up a pair and have no pain at all. Reason I mention this is that I was thinking about picking up a pair myself and doing some research on them this morning. I figure that worse case scenario is that they'll make a good gym shoe. But I tend to have a mid-foot strike to begin with, so teaching myself to front strike wouldn't be too much of a stretch so I'll probably try them out a bit for running too. Where as you're starting out basically, if you started out in them you'd probably naturally just learn to use a front strike technique.

Alex.V
03-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey, thanks guys. It felt surprisingly good- but I'm mostly pleased that my raw bench has showed no signs of suffering because of the shirt work- in fact, the break it's giving my shoulder seems to be helping it increase.

Batshit crazy- I'll take that. Though, let's be honest, my girlfriend's running her first ultra next weekend, which kinda makes me feel like the bitch in the relationship as far as endurance activities are concerned.

Alex, what kind of shoes do you run in and are you ever susceptible shin splints? As far as running goes I have no clue what I'm doing but have
always had a desire to get into it to some extent. Any recommendations as far as technique or things to work on for someone whose shins and knees seem to take a beating? Do you frequent any forums or resources pertinent to those endeavors you'd recommend?

Hey man, I used to have shin splint issues... two things fixed 'em though- better shoes and adjustment of running gait. I'm running in Asics Kayanos right now, and can't say enough good things about them. Used to wear Saucony hurricanes, also pretty solid, but the asics are actually better if you're still trying to use a forefoot to midfoot strike.

Adjusting my running to be more upright, focusing on a forefoot strike with the leg under me has done wonders for me- I used to have terrible, terrible knee pain, stress fractures in my ankles, and really bad shin splints. But since making these changes to form (if you feel like you're taking little mincing prancy steps, you're doing it right), it's all gone away... and my speed and efficiency has increased. Running on asphalt isn't a death sentence for my joints, either.

Still not certain I buy into barefoot running- we're certainly of a more robust bone structure (and far better fed) than our "born to run" ancestors, but many of the tips that barefoot runners endorse work pretty well, even in my clunky kayanos.

Chubrock
03-22-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm not a barefoot runner by any means, but I try and utilize a lot of what they teach. Right now I'm using some New Balance MT101s. They're a trail shoe with a pretty minimalistic upper, flat soled and extremely light. I like them because NB has put a small, thin layer of protection in the ball of the foot. Really takes away the sting from loose gravel, uneven terrain.

Rileigh
03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I picked up a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves last night. I figured even if I didn't really like them for running, they'd make a good shoe for lifting (which I needed). I wore them at the playground last night with my four year old, and wore them to the gym today. Ran a slow mile in them on the treadmill (all I had time for on my lunch) @ 10min/mile. They felt fine, noticed a bit of calf soreness on the run, but I'm pretty sure that was due to the calf raises I did 15 mins earlier more then the run itself.

Will probably get out for a little run this weekend sometime to really try them out. But so far I really like em.

edit: ps sorry for the thread derail Alex

Alex.V
03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
No worries mate- I just wouldn't wear those for lifting. You want something with a bit more robust support; i.e. stronger material and a more solid sole. There's a reason guys wear chuck taylors to squat.

tom183
03-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Then I usually mix up a bottle of Results, a bottle of gatorade, then a bottle of salty water (squeeze in two lemons, add a teaspoon of potassium chloride, a teaspoon of salt, and throw in a few aspirin. It tastes like shit, but I'll be damned if it isn't exactly what I'm craving after a few hours out there.)

Just curious, why aspirin? Is it because of it's blood thinning properties or anti-inflammatory properties or something else entirely?

dynamo
03-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Call me an asshole but I wear merrell sonic gloves on squat and dead lift days, or I do it in socks. Definitely takes months to get used to running in them, I've always dead lifted and squatted barefoot. I was too poor to afford lifting shoes or a belt when I started and don't wear either now 5 years later. I have toyed with the idea of getting lifting shoes to wear when I work on my clean and jerk though.

Fwiw I run in my Merrells all the time. I weighed in at 272 today, never have joint issues any more. The barefoot running technique is great. I used to have chronic knee pain before I switched styles. That was a problem independent of weight, I used to run at 170 lbs and still had knee pains and inflamed ligaments (MRI diagnosed inflammation.)

dynamo
03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
...which kinda makes me feel like the bitch in the relationship...

Sounds about right. You win some, you lose some. :p

Alex.V
03-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Call me an asshole

asshole.

Alex.V
03-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Anyway, I'd sooner lift barefoot than in glove-type shoes- glove shoes offer just enough lateral support to convince you that they're holding your feet in place, but against lateral loading they're worse than bare feet. They also won't do a thing to protect your feet against gym hazards (like heavy metal objects). But... hey, to each their own, again. :)

Barefoot running technique- awesome. But for those of us, again, not built like 140 pound kenyan or tarahumara ultramarathoners, the extra padding and shock absorption of a good running shoe is priceless. Much more forgiving if you suddenly hit a rock, and bear in mind our (smaller) ancestors were not running on pavement.

End soapbox.

Saturday was DE upper and a run.

Bench press:
bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
235 + 90 pounds band tension x 3

Great speed, feeling easier every week.

Skullcrushers:
155 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

Machine shoulder press (plate-loaded, 155 per side), cable crossovers, hanging leg raises, then out for a run.

Trail run: 10 miles. 8 mile warm up, 1 mile fast, 1 mile cooldown.
(9:00 pace for the warm up and cooldown, 6:00 pace for the fast mile)

I realize these days it takes me at least an hour of running to feel remotely warmed up... it's not really until the ten mile mark that I really hit my stride. too bad it was so bloody humid, or I would have doubled that distance. Also still nursing my calf.

Sunday was DE lower

Deadlifts:
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
315 x 12

I know, too much volume. Hamstrings are feeling tight, though, and this actually did a LOT to loosen them up. Needed this- my sumo's been suffering because of this reduction in flexibility- hips are so stretched that I can't generate any power. Just need more warming up, apparently- the last triple just flew up, same speed as when I'd do phantom pulls with no weight.

SLDLs with 315, 3 sets of 8. Used the adductor machine for a while, stretched, did some windshield wipers, then out for a bike.

Bike- hill and sprint workout. 30 miles.
10 mile warm up, 6 hill repeats (250 meter course @ 18% grade, 250 meter descent), 10 mile constant pace spin, then 5 miles of sprints (800 meter sprint, 800 meter cooldown)... then whatever distance back to the car.

Again, not even feeling warmed up until at least 20 miles in... it's more like 30 miles if I'm not hitting hills or sprints. Kinda sucks. But hey, worse problems to have I suppose.

Have a few more Westvleteren 12's that came in, can't wait for tonight.

JSully
03-26-2012, 05:07 PM
this thread makes me want to go running..

but the 297lb man in the mirror scolds me for the thought..

Invain
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
What are your thoughts on Results so far?

Rileigh
03-27-2012, 06:22 AM
So we've discussed your shoe selection.

How about the bike you're using? :)

Alex.V
03-27-2012, 07:09 AM
this thread makes me want to go running..

but the 297lb man in the mirror scolds me for the thought..

You probably want to listen to him. You should always listen to 300 pound people who throw around heavy things for fun.

If you DO run, you should do a marathon. And the best part is, at your size, you wouldn't need aid stations or gels to keep your energy level up, you could just devour all the little people who are skittering around you during the race.

What are your thoughts on Results so far?

I've been pretty impressed. I vetted most of the ingredients separately last year- HMB in large enough doses (3+ grams a day) did seem to help with recovery... and more importantly, with muscle mass retention (previous years I'd lost a good amount of lower body mass while running). Thus far this year, that certainly hasn't been a problem. Beta-alanine helped my bike performance considerably- one of the things I really noticed was a decrease in recovery time post-climbs or sprints (I could recover from heavy sprints while maintaining moderate wattage, rather than having to stop and coast to let the burn subside)... Though some of this could just be an overall increase in fitness, at the three week point there was a marked uptick in repeat anaerobic work capacity. And creatine/dextrose is a no-brainer... so having it all packaged together in a form that actually goes in my bike or workout water bottle is perfect.

The way I'm seeing it, it's pretty much exactly what I need this year, given how far my recovery is being pushed. As for its application to the pure strength athlete, I'd say anything that DOES improve the body's ability to recover from higher volume workouts and reduces fatigue during repeat bouts of anaerobic activity is probably a winner... but I doubt I would have seen much of a difference with my previous low-volume lifting in the past. (This is also due to the fact that I was about twenty pounds heavier and not concerned with weight gain- honestly, given how much I was eating and sleeping, while only lifting for about 2 total hours per week, I was a bit slack).

So the way I'd break it down:

Utility to casual powerlifters: Low
Beginner powerlifters: Medium
Advanced/elite powerlifters: High
Casual bodybuilder types: Low
Competitive bodybuilder types: Medium
Strongman types: High
Crossfit types: High
Pure endurance types: High

So we've discussed your shoe selection.

How about the bike you're using? :)

Trek 1.5 alpha, which is a good entry-level bike. Figured I'd build it up as needed, just wanted something robust and versatile... and didn't see the point in dropping a few thousand extra to drop two pounds off the bike when I'm weighing well over 220.

Profile design clip on aerobars (Not a full tri config- a few road races don't allow that)
Shimano Tiagra derailleurs and 10 speed cassette
Compact crank (I think it's 50/34- might go for a triple for these mountain races)
Aluminum frame, carbon fork
And a big ol' frickin engine. ;)

PS- yesterday was a short run: 3 miles @ 6:50 pace. Felt pretty good.

Rileigh
03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Trek 1.5 alpha, which is a good entry-level bike. Figured I'd build it up as needed, just wanted something robust and versatile... and didn't see the point in dropping a few thousand extra to drop two pounds off the bike when I'm weighing well over 220.

Profile design clip on aerobars (Not a full tri config- a few road races don't allow that)
Shimano Tiagra derailleurs and 10 speed cassette
Compact crank (I think it's 50/34- might go for a triple for these mountain races)
Aluminum frame, carbon fork
And a big ol' frickin engine. ;)

PS- yesterday was a short run: 3 miles @ 6:50 pace. Felt pretty good.

Cool, I'm actually planning to get a new bike in the next little while. Right now I just have an old mountain bike that I've been upgrading as I go. I've never taken an actual road bike out before, but right now I'm thinking it may be time to take the plunge.

The bike shop here carries all Trek stuff. And I was originally looking for something around the low 1000's price point, thinking along the lines that you are. In your opinion, for someone that will likely attempt a triathlon in the next 2-3 years, would it be better to do that, or just spend the extra 800$ and go to the speed concept 2.5? When it comes to bike road racing I'm virtually completely ignorant. Would a bike like that not be allowed in all other road racing? Or is it just a few here and there that do not allow them?

Alex.V
03-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Cool, I'm actually planning to get a new bike in the next little while. Right now I just have an old mountain bike that I've been upgrading as I go. I've never taken an actual road bike out before, but right now I'm thinking it may be time to take the plunge.

The bike shop here carries all Trek stuff. And I was originally looking for something around the low 1000's price point, thinking along the lines that you are. In your opinion, for someone that will likely attempt a triathlon in the next 2-3 years, would it be better to do that, or just spend the extra 800$ and go to the speed concept 2.5? When it comes to bike road racing I'm virtually completely ignorant. Would a bike like that not be allowed in all other road racing? Or is it just a few here and there that do not allow them?

It's easy enough to change the handlebars and levers from a road setup (brakes and gearshift on hoods, conventional handlebars with drops) to a tri setup (brakes on bull horns, shifters on ends of aero bars)... doesn't cost much.

Main thing I'd think about would be the overall configuration. Tri bike geometry is much more geared towards riding down in the aerobars and puts more emphasis on the hamstrings, whereas road bikes are a bit more comfortable when riding upright. I personally have difficulty on tri bikes, mostly because of my build and relatively large upper body- just doesn't feel right to be bent at that angle for the entire ride.

Some road races don't allow aerobars, which is why it's easy if you have a road bike to just use the clip ons... but don't let that make your decision. Try them both out, see what's more comfortable.

Personally, for training a road bike is much more comfortable- easier to adjust position, easier on climbs, more versatile... If I bought a tri bike, I'd ride it for races and maybe 1/4 of my training.

Alex.V
03-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Yesterday was a mediocre bench session- just felt very off for some reason.

BB bench:

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
365 x 2
405 x 1
425 x 1
275 + 90 pounds band tension x 10
275 + 90 pounds band tension x 6

Just started feeling very weak-lethargic during that last set, decided to give myself a break.

Cable rows, windshield wipers, pull ups (legs extended in front, 90 degree angle, two sets of 20), then out for a short run.

Run: 3.5 miles, 8:00 pace.

Just feeling generally crappy. Fighting a bad cold, which isn't helping, and allergies are killing me.

Rileigh
03-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks Alex, that makes sense. I'll give them both a try and see how they feel. I imagine I'll come to a similar conclusion as you have regarding comfort since, while I'm sure you have some size on me (we both weigh the same) I'm still probably going to be quite a bit bigger then the average triathlete that would be using a true triathlon bike. Plus, my only goal would be just to finish. :)

GazzyG
03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Good stuff getting the word done despite feeling bad.

What're windshield wipers?

Also, my Bodyglide arrived today. Tried it earlier - even though I'm still sore from the other day, it makes a huge difference! Very happy - I'm hopefully gonna be chafe free on the walk!

Behemoth
03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
How did the MRI go? When do you get the results?

chevelle2291
03-28-2012, 07:33 PM

most of the time aero bars are not allowed

buy a caad9 or caad10 with rival components. save money for aero wheels at some point and a powertap.

Also, sign up with a decent local team. Get used to the ebb and flow of a group ride before even thinking of racing.

I'm not a fan of most trek stuff outside of the Madone.

-Former mediocre crit racer from the Chicago scene.

Alex.V
03-29-2012, 06:21 AM
buy a caad9 or caad10 with rival components. save money for aero wheels at some point and a powertap.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273/

I do enjoy this kind of stuff. This experiment has some issues, but it's fairly accurate and confirms the physics.

For a 220 pound cyclist with the frontal area (and drag coefficient) of a barn door, aero wheels probably don't make a shit of difference! What's interesting is that even at moderate speeds (over about 200 RPM, or 16 mph give or take with a 750), the spokes themselves create a boundary layer that minimizes actual turbulence. The main difference should be seen when the boundary layer is broken (sudden lateral force changes or strong crosswinds), where the turbulence creates some drag.

I really think aero wheels should be the absolute LAST investment any cyclist makes.

Gazzy- windshield wipers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvN7uGX5QP4

And bodyglide- it's a life (and crotch and armpit) saver!

Rory- didn't get it. Honestly, it'd be a big expense for a confirmatory diagnosis, and I'm really not prepared to get surgery just yet- certainly not this season. If I were going to do surgery AFTER this season, I'd likely have to get more imaging done then to see if the tear had worsened. So, not knowing kind of sucks, but... hey, I'm managing to work with it.

Speaking of bikes- went out for a quick 10 mile ride last night, ~25 mph over rolling hills. Need some serious recovery time if I'm going to pace my girl during her ultra (and do a long ride somewhere in between).

chevelle2291
03-29-2012, 06:50 AM
yar, i've seen studies and tests that go back and forth on the whole aero wheel thing. Regardless, a good set of race wheels are a good investment IMO past like cat 3 or so. That could mean better spokes, smoother hubs, lighter rims, etc. powertap is #1 tho.

Plus, there's a certain awesomeness to seeing a cat 5 rider decked out in pro gear when it's completely unnecessary at his level. :p

The frame is the one thing i usually sell short. They get trashed too often to spend a lot on them. aluminum ftw imo.

Rileigh
03-29-2012, 07:11 AM
most of the time aero bars are not allowed

Also, sign up with a decent local team. Get used to the ebb and flow of a group ride before even thinking of racing.

I'm not a fan of most trek stuff outside of the Madone.

-Former mediocre crit racer from the Chicago scene.

Awesome thanks. I'll definitely check out the cannondale's too (those seem to be the two main brands that the bike shop carries along with cervelo which seems to be a bit more high end then what I'd be needing). I was considering maybe doing a charity ride that occurs around here later in the summer should all go well - just to get me started. :)

Chubrock
03-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Alex, do you ever do any short sprint style bike races? I've thought about doing something that isn't so long distance but don't really even know where to begin. There's that coupled with the fact that I have no clue what is or is not a good bike and the realization that I don't have the cash to dump $1K on a hobby.

chevelle2291
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Alex, do you ever do any short sprint style bike races? I've thought about doing something that isn't so long distance but don't really even know where to begin. There's that coupled with the fact that I have no clue what is or is not a good bike and the realization that I don't have the cash to dump $1K on a hobby.

Alex I'ma threadjack for a min....:shoot:

Racing is incredibly expensive. Even if you build up your own bike, which is not usually cheaper but usually results in a better rig for the money, you are looking at probably $1,800 to $2,500 for a race rig these days, more or less depending on who you know and how fancy you get.

1K doesn't really buy much of anything substantial anymore. You can get a good beginner bike for 1k as I did, but if you have any intention to race it won't be money well spent. My "race" rig that I bought after a year of putzing around on a cheapie bike was 2,200 and that was a steal with Dura-Ace parts and 'okay' wheels. This was back in 08.

Best bike for the money probably atm is:
http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/road/elite-road/caad10/2012-caad10-4-rival-20059

Or something from Fuji. Like this:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1101045&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=datafeed&CAWELAID=1009378349

(people hate on performance bike because it's the Walmart of LBS's, but they do have pretty good deals on quality stuff many times)

SL1's a sexy frame actually, but I'm more a fan of aluminum than carbon for crit racing. Crit racing=crashtastic usually.

You can probably find discounted CAAD9's for cheaper also. It's a big crit race favorite and very durable. Cannondale also has a good crash replacment policy which you will definitely want when you're first getting started and racing low cat.

Generally, for most racing in the US, which is crit style, you'll want some more aggressive geometry. There was a huge difference between how my Fuji road and how my Lemond rode. I generally prefer a "squirrely" or "nervous" bike as it's way more responsive. You'll see what I mean when you ride them, but there's a very noticeable difference, and it can make a decent diff during a race.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php is a great resource for learning more about bikes.

What I will say is that one shouldn't get too caught up in the ultra expensive rigs. They are very fun to ride and are awesome, but they don't mean shit in a race unless you're climbing heavily (you're not). A good aluminum bike at 16-17 pounds race trim with Sram Rival or Shimano Ultrega is plenty good enough. If I could go back I would've built my own rig after my first bike and gone real cheap on the frame and just had nice components.

/threadjack

Alex.V
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Ha! Look at this cardio journal.

I'm gonna counter and say I take the same approach to bikes as to lifting. What the crap do you need to spend more than $1k on an entry level bike for unless you're racing for money. The difference in performance for the average dude on these boards will be negligible. In fact, for 95% of people out there on $3k plus bikes, the difference is a fucking waste. There is so much room for improvement on simple physical fitness measures that you'll never even hit the potential of a base, entry-level rig. None of us here are cyclists who can average 30mph for a 1 hour crit, so why bother with the funds unless it becomes your passion.

Chubs, how serious do you want to get man? On my old Trek I'm smoking guys who've been cycling for years and have $6,000 bikes, and I gotta say, that 4% advantage that their gear is giving them means jack shit. There are also guys out there that, if they're gonna drop me, they're gonna drop me. I'd need to lose 50 pounds and give up powerlifting to compete with them. There's a big chasm between me (recreational, tri-sport type) and the guys out there trying to win points in a race. It'd take you years to bridge that gap even if you start training now, so I'd get a $1000-1500 bike, see if you find yourself in love with the sport, and go from there. It's easy to get gear crazy, but for crap's sake NOBODY will be able to tell the difference between their tiagra and versus ultegra derailleurs or SRAM cassette versus a frickin shimano 105 if they've only been riding a year.

I haven't been riding long, but I've worked with and around triathletes, cyclists, and other endurance types for close to a decade, and I gotta say... these motherfuckers seriously know how to waste money.

Chevy- again, with all due respect. Do remember you were far more intense about racing than a lot of dudes here would get, myself included. With your build at the time and performance needs, this stuff made more sense.

Sort of like powerlifting. I'm not going to spend $350 on a multi-ply bench shirt if I'm thinking about getting into the sport. The level I'd need to get to (and level I'd need to compete at) to really make that worthwhile is years away. I'll get myself an entry-level single ply shirt, learn how to use it, compete a few times, decide if I want to get balls out serious at the sport, and THEN think about dropping coin.

chevelle2291
03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
yar we are in agreement alex. Nobody spends cash like a roadie.

fwiw, my recs are for guys interested in racing, as i thought that's what Chubs was after.

durinf race season i was like 135 at 6 feet, so weight savings, etc made a
diff, but for rec riding most anything will do. I rode my dad's old Fuji with downtube shifters my first year, ha.

Now I want to race again. fuck.

Alex.V
03-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Now I want to race again. fuck.

Sucks how that happens, doesn't it?

135. Shit, dude.

Chubrock
03-29-2012, 01:03 PM
I can tell ya I won't be getting balls out serious with it. Something more casual, and something to give me another avenue of training. Outside of the gym I'm spending most of my time on shooting sports or training at the range, as both have much more carry over to work. I've just been thinking about getting into something that allows me the opportunity to train and work on my conditioning without the added impact of consistent run work. The racing would be something added on the side when my schedule allows it and as a way to push myself into maintaining the bike work. I really have no need to drop a large amount on a bike.

Can either of you recommend a good bike to take a look at? Something light and built for road work, mainly just so I'm not stomping around looking like my little sister on a mountain bike.

CarlP
03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm gonna continue this cardio thread jack. I'm looking for the same answer as you. I've kicked around the idea of trying a sprint triathlon, but have no idea where to begin looking for a bike. Like you, I have no desire to be a professional racer, I'd like to try it out and still have something I can ride around on with my wife and kids.

I can tell ya I won't be getting balls out serious with it. Something more casual, and something to give me another avenue of training. Outside of the gym I'm spending most of my time on shooting sports or training at the range, as both have much more carry over to work. I've just been thinking about getting into something that allows me the opportunity to train and work on my conditioning without the added impact of consistent run work. The racing would be something added on the side when my schedule allows it and as a way to push myself into maintaining the bike work. I really have no need to drop a large amount on a bike.

Can either of you recommend a good bike to take a look at? Something light and built for road work, mainly just so I'm not stomping around looking like my little sister on a mountain bike.

chevelle2291
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm partial to the CAAD lines. Excellent aluminum frame. Won't hold you back no matter what.

http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/road/elite-road/caad8/2012-caad8-7-sora-25382

At the entry level price point, however, whatever is most comfortable to you is going to be the best bike.

Invest in a good saddle, clip-in shoes, and good bibs. good bibs will make a world of difference. Also, get your bike fit properly. That is an art in and of itself.

chevelle2291
03-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Sucks how that happens, doesn't it?

135. Shit, dude.

yea man. was real small.

http://bicycleheavengeneva.com/images/headerImage_team-3.jpg

second from left. helmet always fit funny, ha.

Alex.V
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Cannondales are solid, I definitely looked at those.

Well, here's what I've got:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/sport/2_and_1_series/1_5

Decent price, carbon fork, good components, and more importantly it's sturdy as hell.

Also looked at these:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/Road/F-Series.aspx

Check out the F75 and F85. Their drivetrain components aren't the best, but it's a solid frame.

Anyway, workout:

Deadlifts:

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 4
495 x 2
605 x 2
645 x 1
Off a 3" block:
545 x 1
495 x 2
405 x 6

These felt good- was feeling pretty loose so upped the volume. Paying for it today, but in a good way.

BB shrugs- 405 x 10 x 2

Lateral raises with the 60's, bent-over laterals with 55's, cable face pulls, stretched out like a motherfucker. Then went for a quick run, since I'm pacing my girl on her ultra and didn't want to burn out:

Run: 3.2 miles, 8:15 pace.

Taking it easy on my calf.

f=ma
03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Have you always pulled sumo?

PS I have a cannondale hardtail trail. Its lots of fun. Contemplating a road bike for the summer

Chubrock
03-30-2012, 07:09 PM
The pulling looks sweet man, nice job.

I appreciate the advice on the bike. Found this on Craigslist. I need to get measured, but if it's a match for size what do you think of this:

Cannondale CAAD 9 58 Centimeter - $800
I have barely ridden it and everything is in like new condition.
58 Centimeter Cannondale Aluminum
105 groupo with Ultegra rear derailler
Mavic computer
Carbon seat post
Carbon Forks.

chevelle2291
03-30-2012, 09:09 PM
The pulling looks sweet man, nice job.

I appreciate the advice on the bike. Found this on Craigslist. I need to get measured, but if it's a match for size what do you think of this:

Cannondale CAAD 9 58 Centimeter - $800
I have barely ridden it and everything is in like new condition.
58 Centimeter Cannondale Aluminum
105 groupo with Ultegra rear derailler
Mavic computer
Carbon seat post
Carbon Forks.

That's pretty solid. Just make sure the 58 fits you. I was a 56 at 6 foot. 58 is a relatively big bike. IMO, I prefer to go with the smallest frame that will fit you. So, if you are in between a 56-58 (like many are), I'd go for the 56 and just get a longer stem/adjust seatpost, etc.

Ride it first, obviously.

f=ma
03-31-2012, 07:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wiu_IX14wLI#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiu_IX14wLI# sup

tom183
03-31-2012, 08:12 PM
^--That's awesome.

Alex.V
04-04-2012, 07:40 AM
I like that bike, looks like a good deal. As chevy said, sizing is pretty key. At 6', I'm actually between a 58 and a 60, so a lot depends on torso length, leg length, etc. Still, chances are it'll be just right for you.

And speaking of which...

Have you always pulled sumo?

Yup, always pulled sumo. Pulled conventional for my first six months of lifting, and quickly realized my form on it was total crap.

Rough weekend, workout-wise. I was helping my girlfriend out with her ultra on saturday, so I ran/walked about 16 miles with a 25 pound pack of water, food, etc. Also did a speed bench workout:

BB bench:

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
225 + 90 pound bands x 3
225 + 90 pound bands x 3
225 + 90 pound bands x 3
225 + 90 pound bands x 3
225 + 90 pound bands x 3

Skullcrushers:

135 x 12
155 x 10
155 x 10

Cable crossovers (NEED MAZZIVE PECKS!), some front raises, then went home.

Sunday, started a DE leg day but had a bit of issues:

Squats:

135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 3
315 + 180 pounds of bands x 5
315 + 180 pounds of bands x 5
315 + 180 pounds of bands x 2

Felt very good, very fast, but after those two reps felt a bit of discomfort in my right adductor. Stood up and it tightened up... I think I might have come close to straining it. Thought the better of the whole thing and decided to go out for a bike:

Bike- 60 mile warmup, 5 miles of hill repeats (lost count of number), 15 mile cooldown. Took a total of about 5 hours, which is fine (took my time on the cooldown). Felt good, 80 miles and I didn't bonk, which after 16 miles of running and a leg workout, is pretty good.

Monday, did a quick 8 mile ride to shake the legs out.

Tuesday: ME bench
bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 2
365 x 1
405 x 1
Add shirt
405 x 1
435 x 1
455 x 1
475 x 1 (PR)
405 x 2

Felt AWESOME. Left shoulder dipped a bit at the bottom and was a bit off center, but got back in the groove and up it went. Lockout strength is improving tremendously. No shortage of spotters, as I think nobody in my gym has seen much more than 4 plates, ever. Which is rather sad.

Cable rows, curlzzz, rotator work, ab work, then out for a run:

Run: 3.5 miles, steady 8:30 pace.

Still nursing my calf- lapsing back into a heel strike since it's tight, which I need to fix... since my PF was back this morning with a vengeance. Stretching it out today, going to try to run with my usual gait on Thursday.

That's a wrap.

JSully
04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
really dialing in that shirt, good work..

good call on cutting it short after the adductor warning.. don't be like me, haha..

Rileigh
04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Nice bench PR!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone at my gym lift 3 plates let alone 4. haha. I know one guy comes close to three plates. The gym I normally go to is in an office building.

chevelle2291
04-04-2012, 02:58 PM
at 6' you're a 60? damn.

long torso length?

LuNa
04-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Great bench PR.

Very interesting to hear how much thought goes into buying a proper bike.

Beast
04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Yup, always pulled sumo. Pulled conventional for my first six months of lifting, and quickly realized my form on it was total crap.

Can you describe your foot placement with sumo? How wide, where toes pointing, etc? Joto.

Alex.V
04-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Jake- thanks man. Helps that I'm getting stronger, too- raw bench is still going up. And yeah... man, still hard to listen to myself. Just figured it'd fucking suck to have to drop out all leg work entirely... I have no idea what I'd do with all that free time.

Rileigh, thanks man!

Chevy- nah. Fairly long legs, actually. 58-60 is pretty much the norm for a 6'0" guy....

Luna- True that- kinda nuts actually. Don't worry, if there's a sport out there, we've all found a way to make it incredibly complicated. :D

Beast- coņo, where you been bro? Foot placement- it's gone back and forth, used to be toes out at about a 45 degree angle nearly touching the plates... lately, been experimenting with even more splayed toe angle and slightly narrower stance. Mixed results, and all is really contingent on how my hamstrings/post. chain are feeling on any particular day.

Wednesday, did a 40 minute workout on the bike trainer... 15 minute warm up, 10 minutes z2, 10 minutes z3 (intervals- 45 second spool up, 15 second cooldown), 5 minute cooldown.

Thursday, squats:

Squats:

bar x lots
135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 2
add belt
455 x 1
add suit, straps down
495 x 2
545 x 1
straps up
585 x 1
625 x 1
645 x 0 (too shallow)
645 x 1
585 x 2
Back to just belt:
495 x 2

These felt pretty good- was being cautious with my groin, hence my cutting depth. Still, again, getting comfortable with sitting down into the suit and feeling where the power needs to come in to pop out of the hole.

I need to start squatting with wraps again- should probably get me another 20-25 pounds, easy. Just hard to walk out with them on the crappy ass rubberized spongy floor they got in that gym.

Incidentally, this shit is starting to attract a crowd. Which is great, because there are always spotters available. The gym isn't as sad as it sounds, though.. a few guys with competitive powerlifting experience, plenty of oly lifters... so there are still folks to help me check form etc.

Good mornings:
315 x 8
335 x 6
335 x 6

Man, I was kinda tired.

Some hanging leg raises, calf raises, and lateral raises (that's a lot of raises) to finish up.

Then, run:

Easy run (went out with my girlfriend, who's the ultra distance type), 3.5 miles, 9:00 pace. Calf tear is a bit better, back to my forefoot strike. This felt completely effortless, these days I think I could likely run a marathon at a 9:00 pace with little trouble. Which is exactly where I want to be.

Went home and treated myself to a vertical tasting of Rocheforts... 6, 8, 10.

My assessment: Yep, still a fucking great beer. Cheers.

Coke
04-06-2012, 07:45 AM
this shit is starting to attract a crowd

Finding that hard to believe, lol - squats are indeed spectacular.

JSully
04-06-2012, 07:55 AM
lol @ the crowd.. although I'm not in the 6s, I know how you feel. Had 545 loaded up for high box squats the other day (which I must say are much harder than full squats) and people were staring. You can imagine what they looked like a couple months ago when I was doing a 675 reverse band squat.. lulz

unfortunately, nobody ever offers to spot so that's lame, lol.

Invain
04-06-2012, 08:47 AM

You're too big and scary Jake.

Lately I've been having dudes offer to spot when I don't even need it. Was warming up with 315 yesterday, guy walks over and asks if I need a spot, I said "No, thanks though", he proceeds to get behind the bar and give me a lift off anyways. Uhhhhh

JSully
04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
You're too big and scary Jake.

its my titties, sonsabitches

Invain
04-06-2012, 10:01 AM
its my titties, sonsabitches

Did your son ever get confused and try breast feeding off you?

JSully
04-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Did your son ever get confused and try breast feeding off you?
funny you mention this...................................

no, he didn't.. lol

Beast
04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Put the whole exercise thing on the backburner for the past 2 years, but have a renewed interest. Love reading these inspiring journals, you know?

(went out with my girlfriend, who's the ultra distance type)
Is this the same girl you were with a few years ago? Or is this a different ultra-fit hottie?

Alex.V
04-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks Coke!

lol @ the crowd.. although I'm not in the 6s, I know how you feel. Had 545 loaded up for high box squats the other day (which I must say are much harder than full squats) and people were staring. You can imagine what they looked like a couple months ago when I was doing a 675 reverse band squat.. lulz

Dude, I'd agree that it's CLEARLY because you're scary. The rest of us are non-threatening and small, so people are like "Here, let me get that for you".

675 reverse band... I would have brought in a mobile lunk alarm. Clearly that is unnecessary. :D

Beast- good to have you back, man! Same girl... Kelly Bruno. (Google her and "Survivor").

So I was kind of a pussy this weekend... funny that the weekend is all the cardio crap with no heavy lifting.

Saturday: DE upper.

BB bench:
bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
Doubled lights (+180 pounds)
225 x 3
225 x 3
225 x 3

Not bad- all pretty fast, though felt a little weaker than expected.

Skullcrushers:

155 x 10
165 x 7

Bah. tried to do some overhead pressing, shoulder was having none of it. Did some abs and lateral raises, two sets of crossovers, then got the hell out to the trail.

Run: 10 miles, 8:00 pace (trails/hills)

Felt good. Nice and steady, calf didn't bother me too much.

Sunday: DE lower
Deadlifts:
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
455 x 3
455 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3
405 x 3

Leg was bleeding like crazy- new sweats kinda made the shins worse. but speed on these was absolutely stellar- form is getting back to where it should be. Last set felt like 225.

Conventional deadlifts:
455 x 3
455 x 3
455 x 3

I hate conventional deadlifts.

tried to do some one-legged leg press, my knee told me to go fuck myself. So I did some adductors, stretched, then out on a bike:

Bike: Hill/sprint workout, 70 miles.
30 mile warmup, then 4 out and backs (5 miles each) on a seriously long climb, followed by 20 miles of fartlek-style intervals... really just having fun. Ran out of water with about ten miles left, but was still maintaining 23-24mph on the flats in the aerobars. Plenty of juice left in my legs by the time I packed it in.

Beast
04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Beast- good to have you back, man! Same girl... Kelly Bruno. (Google her and "Survivor").

Thanks, bro. Yeah, I remember you mentioning her before. Pretty inspirational. Is she a resident now?

Aight, off to try some sumos...

JSully
04-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Dude, I'd agree that it's CLEARLY because you're scary. The rest of us are non-threatening and small, so people are like "Here, let me get that for you".

675 reverse band... I would have brought in a mobile lunk alarm. Clearly that is unnecessary. :D

your sarcasm amuses me.. this coming from the guy that's warming up with my squat and bench maxes, lol..

lol @ your speed deads (sumo) vs conventional.. I hate sumo, love conventional.. need to start doing sumo more, to strengthen hips and adductors but meh, I digress.

Alex.V
04-11-2012, 07:05 AM
your sarcasm amuses me.. this coming from the guy that's warming up with my squat and bench maxes, lol..

lol @ your speed deads (sumo) vs conventional.. I hate sumo, love conventional.. need to start doing sumo more, to strengthen hips and adductors but meh, I digress.

Ha! Hardly... You forget, I need to use a pussy shirt to bench over 450...

It's gotta all be about leverages. Wish I were a better conventional puller- much more visceral lift, more about power than about getting that stretch reflex and pop in your hips.

Screw it, stick with what we're good at. Right?

Anyway, bit of a lame bench day... feeling a little tired, decided to give the shirted work a break.

BB bench:

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 10
365 x 4
405 x 1
425 x 1
435 x 1
315 x 12
225 x no idea got bored.

Really weren't too bad- my shoulder was very displeased with the last 435, though... was too fast on the way up, shook things up a bit.

Cable rows, curls, rotator work, hanging leg raises to finish off.

Went out for a quick run:

Run- 4.5 miles, 7:45 pace. (trail/hills)

Didn't realize I was going out this fast, was only aiming for about an 8:30. Made it a game to pick off other runners out there, though, particularly after cresting hills... Shorten the stride and chug with the arms going uphill to save energy, then blow past them as they inevitably slow down at the top to recover.

Felt pretty good.

Rileigh
04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
435 raw is awesome, especially since your shirted max is 475. To me that 40lbs wouldn't even be worth the effort of putting on the shirt.

Are you really just using the shirt to help your shoulder recovery?

Alex.V
04-11-2012, 08:05 AM
435 raw is awesome, especially since your shirted max is 475. To me that 40lbs wouldn't even be worth the effort of putting on the shirt.

Are you really just using the shirt to help your shoulder recovery?

I wouldn't mind using it to hit around 500-550 in competition.

I'm a complete nub with it, of course... never had anybody else around who knows how to use one, so getting the most out of it will still take time. And, honestly, given I've always been a raw bencher, it takes even more time to get used to holding much heavier weight. Generally, if I couldn't press it full ROM, I didn't unrack it... so even though I might be able to get 500 in a shirt now, strength-wise, I definitely don't have the comfort level I need. Probably should do some heavy floor presses and the like, get some boards, etc.

PS-

Love these race profiles for my two rides this summer.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15444290/profiles.png

Mitchell at the top, BSG at the bottom.

JSully
04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
that's a hell of a finish for mitchell... crazy

Alex.V
04-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah, they basically refer to it as a nice, easy 80 mile country ride followed by 23 miles of the worst hell you'll find on a bike.

Rileigh
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Damn. lol

You sure know how to pick your races haha (glutton for punishment).

Behemoth
04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Didn't realize I was going out this fast, was only aiming for about an 8:30. Made it a game to pick off other runners out there, though, particularly after cresting hills... Shorten the stride and chug with the arms going uphill to save energy, then blow past them as they inevitably slow down at the top to recover.

Felt pretty good.

When I first read this I envisioned you running down a trail swinging a medieval mace overhead

CarlP
04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah, they basically refer to it as a nice, easy 80 mile country ride followed by 23 miles of the worst hell you'll find on a bike.

Judging only by the graph, I'd say that's pretty damn accurate. I hope Mt. Mitchell doesn't assault you back.

f=ma
04-15-2012, 03:09 PM
all of the strength and endurance work never ceases to amaze

youre still doing Cozumel, right?

Invain
04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
You ever looked into training with somebody else that uses a shirt as well? I really hate not having somebody with me that I can trust giving hand-offs and spotting and shit. Can't imagine trying to fuck around with a shirt like that.

With a 430+ raw bench you should be able to hit 500 EASY with just a single ply. Friend of mine from school just hit 700 in a meet a few weeks ago, and after watching him train for 2 - 3 years I can def say using gear is all about technique.

Alex.V
04-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I'mna try this after a bomber and a half of Gulden Draak.

Rory, shit, that is an excellent idea. That would make runs a hell of a lot less dull.

Mitchell... yeah, it's going to be a bitch. Thankfully, I managed to rig up a beautiful granny gear on my bike... Got a SRAM 11/32 cassette rigged up to my wheel with a mountain bike derailleur, and since I'm running a compact (50/34) in the front, that gives me nearly a 1:1 for climbing.

Best part is, I have no fucking idea what any of that shit really even means. But damn, I sound legit.

Hell yeah I'm doing Cozumel. Of course, Active.com has fucked up and won't let me confirm, but last I checked they took my money. November 25th. Y'all should come out and booze it up for the week prior with me.

And nah, nobody in my gym knows how to use a shirt. In fact, I think they all likely have no idea what one even is. I'd love to get the chance to work with some guys who knew their crap- certainly know I'm not getting everything I can out of it. It's been trial and error, informed though it may be, but still not enough. Self taught only gets one so far. I do know I need a tighter shirt- this F6 is a size too large (intentionally).. I'll probably upgrade to a katana for competition.

So it's been a while since I updated, apparently.

Did some bullshit spinning on Wednesday (45 minutes of biking).

Thursday, deads:

135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
495 x 2
545 x 2
585 x 2
635 x 1
645 x 1
655 x fell forward.

Not entirely my fault. Calf still torn, so it cramped up like a motherfucker, threw off my balance. Felt great until that moment, and didn't really lose balance until about two inches from lockout. Was hurting too much to continue, otherwise probably had around 675 in me. Been a while since I felt this good on pulls.

Went out for a short run... 4 miles @ 8:30 pace, tried to loosen the calf up. Didn't work so well.

Friday, took off.

Saturday- DE bench and DE squats:

Bench:

Bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 6
255 x 3
255 x 3
245 + single light x 3
245 + single light x 3
245 + single light x 3
245 + single light x 3

(Single light = light band around the back)

Skullcrushers with 155 for sets of 8.

Cable crossovers with whatever.

Squats:

bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
Knee hurting like a bitch.
315 + lights x 3
315 + lights x 3
315 + lights x 3
315 + lights x 3
315 + lights x 3
Knee MUCH better by the last set, speed increasing with each set.

Good mornings with 315.

Took the day off cardio.

Sunday:

Bike- 108.5 miles, ~16-17 mph.

This felt like a long way. I have a screwed up cyclist's tan.

Today, just a two mile run at a 9:30 pace to get some feeling back in my legs.

joey54
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
A 430 raw bench should be getting 600 even out of single ply. Props to even have the guts to do shirt work without anyone else to help out.

Time+Patience
04-17-2012, 06:40 AM
From what I've read so far within your journal, you are just not human.

That is all I have to say.

Will be back to read more.

Rileigh
04-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Keep up the great work buddy, you're killing it as always.

Alex.V
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
From what I've read so far within your journal, you are just not human.

That is all I have to say.

Will be back to read more.

I dunno man, feeling kind of old and very human lately.

600 out of single ply, huh? I realized last night I had a lot to learn from the shirt, so I don't think that sounds as wacky as I did 24 hours ago. :)

Rileigh, thanks bud!

Last night was actually a pretty good (semi-rage fueled) workout. Decided to give the shirt another ride, this time with more help putting it on, a better handoff, etc. Paid off.

ME bench.

Bench press:
bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 2
405 x 1
425 x 1
Added shirt
405 x 1
435 x 1
455 x 1
475 x 1
495 x 1
Alex only
315 x 10

That's a PR. Felt pretty damn good, solid lift, good speed... shit, it's all about the groove ain't it, and making sure the damn shirt's on right. With a bit more practice, and developing more strength at lockout (and better balance), I'd think I've got low 5's in me, easy.

BB rows:
315 x 10
315 x 10

cable rows, curls, windshield wipers, one long set of pull-ups, then out for a run.

Run:

5k, 19:00 flat.

Slow, but not bad given it was a very hilly course. Calf didn't bother me until this morning.

Running low on Results, gotta get more!

Rileigh
04-18-2012, 12:41 PM
There you go, did you find someone who knows a bit about it? Or did you just find some random dude to help you put it on?

Cards
04-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Looking good, Alex. 495 is a huge number.

chevelle2291
04-18-2012, 01:35 PM
tell me you have a vid of your 745 pull.

Alex.V
04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
There you go, did you find someone who knows a bit about it? Or did you just find some random dude to help you put it on?

Nah, just spent a little more time focused on the actual setup- found a few tips here and there on setup, and damn did they make a world of difference. Also had a few people help me out with getting it on and off. They were all female, too, which made for quite the scene when they were all gathered 'round. It was a fairly solid moment.

Cards- thanks man!

Chevy, nah, I rarely tape things unless I'm checking form or looking for feedback. Probably shall, though, moving forward. At the time, I never thought I'd go off and get skinny...

Invain
04-18-2012, 06:58 PM
How high did you have that pull off the ground before you fell over? Shit would be kinda scary if it were just before lockout.

Behemoth
04-18-2012, 08:13 PM
745 clearly never happened

Alex.V
04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
How high did you have that pull off the ground before you fell over? Shit would be kinda scary if it were just before lockout.

Right about knee level. Shoulda just dropped it, but I clearly had the bitch.

Well, clearly didn't.

There was much laughter.

Rory- you're right, it definitely didn't. Actually, I only lift weights on the intarweb. I'm a thirteen year old girl named Suzy IRL. want 2 chat?????????????????

chevelle2291
04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Right about knee level. Shoulda just dropped it, but I clearly had the bitch.

Well, clearly didn't.

There was much laughter.

Rory- you're right, it definitely didn't. Actually, I only lift weights on the intarweb. I'm a thirteen year old girl named Suzy IRL. want 2 chat?????????????????

Fresh teen tits or gtfo.

Behemoth
04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
U forniskype Suzy?

krazylarry
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
5 plate bench while multiple girls watch you and oh and ah? Holy shit Alex's living a real life muscle tech ad.

chevelle2291
04-18-2012, 11:17 PM
5 plate bench while multiple girls watch you and oh and ah? Holy shit Adam's living a real life muscle tech ad.

who da fuck is Adam?

LuNa
04-19-2012, 01:08 AM
who da fuck is Adam?

Suzy's big brother.

Alex.V
04-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Yeah, sorry guys, Suzy's mom caught her up late chatrouletting with older men, so she's grounded now.

krazylarry
04-19-2012, 02:24 PM
who da fuck is Adam?

Alex I meant, damn typos.
me fail english, that un possible.

Alex.V
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
S'aight man, people can call me whatever. Shit, I went by "Belial" for years. Or you can just call me what all the ladies call me.

...they don't.

:(

Anyway.

Wednesday was a day on the bike trainer. 35 minutes of steady state- was feeling a bit tired and my rear tire had gone flat, so it wasn't a great workout. Had to buy an entirely new tire, since the tire was literally flat- not just out of air, but my weight combined with mileage had worn the rubber nearly through.

Thursday, ME lower.

Squats:
bar x not all that many
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
add belt
405 x 6
add wraps
495 x 3
add suit, straps down
545 x 2
straps up
585 x 1
625 x 1
645 x 1
665 x 1
And my right knee wrap blew out... didn't overlap enough, lost stability, almost blew out my knee. It hurt. A lot.

Still got the lift, though. But couldn't really bend my leg.

Good mornings, abs, calf raises, adductor, went out for a run.

Run- 3.5 miles, ~28 minutes.

Knee was hurting. Interestingly enough, hurts less when I keep it moving.

Had a tough time sleeping because of it, walking around all gimpy.

But who gives a shit. In the last 7 days I've pulled 645, benched 495, squatted 665, biked a full century, and run a not totally shitty 5k. I'm happy. It's a rest day. Fuck it, time to eat.

Invain
04-20-2012, 08:43 AM
But who gives a shit. In the last 7 days I've pulled 645, benched 495, squatted 665, biked a full century, and run a not totally shitty 5k. I'm happy. It's a rest day. Fuck it, time to eat.

I could do all of this in 1 day, sorry, not impressed.

Alex.V
04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I could do all of this in 1 day, sorry, not impressed.

I woulda done that but there were NCIS LA reruns on.

JSully
04-20-2012, 08:56 AM
take care of that knee..

Cards
04-20-2012, 11:44 AM
sorry to hear about the knee; drink until it's numb.

krazylarry
04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Damn dude, is your dad Chuck Norris and your mom Wonder Woman?

Super impressive stuff as always, Alex.

Chris Rodgers
04-20-2012, 07:10 PM

You want a cookie? :evillaugh:

Heal up brutha, maybe lay off all that damn excessive cardio! And also, don't wrap your knees like a newb next time

Alex.V
04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
You want a cookie? :evillaugh:

Heal up brutha, maybe lay off all that damn excessive cardio! And also, don't wrap your knees like a newb next time

I'm eating cookies.

No, you're damn right. It was my own damn fault for wrapping up wrong, and I'm paying for it. Stupid.

Chris Rodgers
04-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm eating cookies.

No, you're damn right. It was my own damn fault for wrapping up wrong, and I'm paying for it. Stupid.

Stupid is as stupid duh-uhhz

Alex.V
04-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Damn dude, is your dad Chuck Norris and your mom Wonder Woman?

Super impressive stuff as always, Alex.

Man, thanks, I appreciate it.

You can still call me Adam though. It's all good.

Alex.V
04-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Well I'm exceptionally far behind. Weekend was light on the cardio and lifting, gave me some much needed recovery time to let my knee heal.

Saturday:

DE upper.
BB bench:
bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
255 + light band wrapped around back x 4

Felt good, very fast, and that little bobble on the concentric I used to have is gone (where I used to dip the right shoulder a bit)

Skullcrushers:

135 x 10
135 x 10

Some random core stuff, cable crossovers, front DB raises with the 60's, then a short run.

Run: 6 miles, 8:00 pace

Very relaxed, easy run, just loosening up the knee. Almost stepped on a big ass copperhead snake, which was not really that cool.

Sunday:
DE lower

Rack pulls (plates 4" off the ground)
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
405 x 3
405 + doubled lights (~180 pounds at top) x 3

Lockout strength is not my problem, these felt effortless. Good way to keep my knee relatively unharmed while still working the posterior chain a bit.

Calf raises, adductor/abductor machine work, then out for a short bike.

Bike: 10 miles, ~16 mph.

Very slow, intentionally. Doing a bit of rehab work here (single leg pedaling, dropped heel climbs, etc.)

Monday:

Stationary bike, 1:30. 30 minute warm up, 45 minutes of drills (1 minute sprints, 1 minute cooldown, 1 minute steady pace), 15 minute cooldown.

Tuesday:

ME upper.
BB bench:

bar x lots
135 x 6
225 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 1
405 x 1
435 x 1
add shirt
445 x 1
475 x 1
500 x 1

Smoked this. Easy. Have another 25-30 in me, even with a shirt that's so loose I can get it on and off in 30 seconds myself.

Need to get myself a properly fitting Katana. That'd be sick.

Also happy with how easy the raw bench felt, though my shoulder's acting up.

BB rows:
315 x 10
225 x 12

Curlzzz, skullcrushers, some ab work, cable rows, then out for a run.

Run, 3.62 miles, 25 minutes or so. Good pace, legs felt good.

Trying Nitrean+ now, and so far, do love the taste. 1 scoop of the dutch chocolate with 1 scoop of fruit punch results is pretty damn excellent. (In vanilla almond milk)

Cards
04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
awesome workouts; i mixed the blue rasberry results with a scoop of vanilla the other day and was pleasently surprised. Also, I liked your comments in the results ingrediant thread, very insightful.

Alex.V
04-29-2012, 01:34 PM
awesome workouts; i mixed the blue rasberry results with a scoop of vanilla the other day and was pleasently surprised. Also, I liked your comments in the results ingrediant thread, very insightful.

Ah good, I'm glad it's at least somewhat interesting. :)

Alex.V
04-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Aight, bit behind here so just the main parts.

Wednesday: Bike and run.

12 mile TT style bike ride then a 4 mile run (with two very attractive young women who so kindly managed to stay a few steps ahead of me the entire time. Motivation is good.)

Thursday: ME lower

My knee was still being cranky, so I did deficit pulls so I could keep the weight lighter.

Deadlifts:
135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
Added 3" blocks under feet
Deficit pulls:
405 x 5
495 x 2
565 x 1
585 x 1 (slow as shit)
495 x 4
Knee hurting.
Back to regular pulls:
495 x 6

Stiff legged deadlifts:
455 x 10
455 x 10
455 x 10

Adductors, calf raises, abs, then out for a quick run.

Run: 3.1 miles, ~8:00 pace. Just taking it easy.

Friday: OFF! Ate.

Saturday: Long bike

110 miles, ~6:25 or so (I forget). Funny things happen during long rides.
Around mile 45 I got bored and starting thinking about sex.
Around mile 55 I started thinking about bacon instead
Around mile 65 I was getting loopy and started thinking about sex with bacon, which weirded me out so I decided it was time to stop daydreaming.
Around mile 75, I stopped for a 20 ounce full sugar red bull, which kicked in around mile 85 and gave me a second wind that helped me blaze headlong into the (figurative) wall really hard around mile 95.
By mile 105 I was giggling slash crying every time I was doing anything other than coasting downhill.
At mile 109 I was exactly a mile from home, so kicked it into high gear and managed to top out around a blazing 11 mph (helping me pass the guy running with a stroller), before collapsing in front of the house.

Sunday: DE upper/lower and run

BB bench:
bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
255 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
255 + light band around the back x 3

Skullcrushers with 155 for 3 sets of 10

Squats
bar x lots
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 3
335 x 3
335 x 3
335 x 3
335 x 3
335 x 3

Knee VERY unhappy, but feeling better by the end. Decided this was quite enough.

Crossovers, front raises, stretched, the run: 7.5 miles @ 8:00 pace.

Shit I was tanked.

Currently drinking a Kasteel Donker.

krazylarry
04-29-2012, 04:44 PM
(with two very attractive young women who so kindly managed to stay a few steps ahead of me the entire time. Motivation is good.)

Haha yes! The last time I got suckered into going for a run, it involved a lady friend and a nice tight pair of white shorts. Now just think what she was wearing lol.

Good stuff as always Alex, I mean Adam, I mean Belial, I mean white Jesus...

Beast
04-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Wonder Norris, you still on the Burger King diet?

Coke
05-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Humorous summary of the ridiculously long bike ride, pain threshold must have been over the top.

Always exceptional in here.

Rileigh
05-02-2012, 05:33 AM
12 mile TT style bike ride then a 4 mile run (with two very attractive young women who so kindly managed to stay a few steps ahead of me the entire time. Motivation is good.)

Got that right. Best run I ever did I was trying to out-last a female friend marathon runner.

Glad to see you're getting the hang of the shirt. Workouts looking awesome as always! Also read your blog post or whatever it was on the main site the other day. Was a good read.

GazzyG
05-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Strong workouts, Alex.

I was probably thinking about bacon at the same time, though I don't have the excuse of a bike ride.

FearFactory
05-02-2012, 08:09 PM
INSANE DEADLIFT VOLUME HOW DOES YOUR BACK HOLD UP TO THAT???

YES I AM YELLING

JSully
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
YES I AM YELLING

this made me LOL forrealz

Alex.V
05-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Haha yes! The last time I got suckered into going for a run, it involved a lady friend and a nice tight pair of white shorts. Now just think what she was wearing lol.

Ok now this is funny shit. Seriously, though, what is it about women that they look exponentially hotter when running and guys look exponentially more ridiculous? Anyhow, thanks mate!

Beast- burger king diet.... nah, that eventually started tearing up my stomach. Lots of oat bran and yogurt in the morning, pounds of fish and rice in the evening, with ample amounts of donuts, cookies, pita chips, sharp provolone cheese, triple creme brie, beer, and the occasional protein shake distributed in between.

Coke, thanks mate. Every word was true, too... mildly disturbing out there. lol. It's a very different sort of pain than getting nearly crushed under a bar. Less of the instant "oh shit", more of the constant "What the hell am I doing to myself".

Rileigh- Right? Sounds painful, though... hopefully she's one of those slow and steady types and took it easy on you. I can't hang with the girls I know who run them regularly.... they have these effortless, economic strides where they look like they're floating. I look like a rhino doing ballet.

Gaz- Bacon is not the reward for effort, it is in and of itself the first step towards greatness. eat your bacon.

FF- I think it's just used to abuse. Also, I make an effort to engage it as little as possible in my day to day life. My posture right now, for example, is a stunning example of minimal muscle engagement. Had I zero musculature and a poorly developed spinal column, my seating position would be identical. Key for recovery.

So, catching up... nothing particularly stellar to report.

Monday: Bike.

12 miles, ~23mph. Trying to keep my legs exhausted and get used to pushing it hard on the hills while fatigued.

Tuesday: Off. Went down to ATL to see Rise Against. (Girlfriend's favorite band... I love em too). Good show at the Masquerade, great set list.

Wednesday: ME upper and run.

Bench:
bar x lots
135 x 8
225 x 8
315 x 6
405 x 1
Add shirt
455 x 1
475 x 1
475 x 1
Just practicing.

Bench with doubled lights (+180 or so at the top)
225 x 10
255 x 8
275 x 6 (definitely a PR for these- over 450 at lockout, and felt effortless)
225 x 6

BB rows with 315, some curlzzz, windshield wipers, then out for a run.

Run: 3.5 miles, 8:00 pace

Holy SHIT it was hot out there. literally had to wring out my shirt afterwards and left a huge puddle... and it was a dri-fit.

Thursday: ME lower and bike.

Box squats:
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 2
425 x 2
425 x 3
425 x 4

These were light, but... still concerned about my knee. Encouraged that I can push the weight with minimal pain- back to heavy squatting next Thursday.

Stiff legged deadlifts:
405 x 6
475 x 6
495 x 5
475 x 5

Haven't gone heavy-ish on these in a while, felt nice.

Lateral raises and shoulder stability work, then out for a bike.

Bike: 20 miles, ~19.5 mph.
Hitting hills frequent and hard, trying to maintain steady speed regardless of grade.

And tonight... Found a Dark Lord on ebay, plan on enjoying it tonight with a few friends. Those who know what this is, well, you know.

JSully
05-04-2012, 08:50 AM
screw all the work you did, how as Rise Against? I've been wanting to see them for ages. Awesome band!!

Alex.V
05-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Dude, they were awesome. Long set, probably close to two hours, hit on songs all the way back to RPM, finished with a sick version of Savior that included a pretty damn excellent guitar solo and more or less brought down the entire damn house. (Well, lawn).

They put on amazing live shows, go see them. Tim's acoustic versions of a few classics are worth the price of entry alone, and somehow nearly every song manages to have a new and different vibe than you get from the album version... which is a good thing.

JSully
05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
fantastic, can't wait for them to come to phoenix again.. it's been a long time and I missed them last time. Paper Wings is the sing that got me interested in them and it was on cruise control from there. Hope they come here soon.

tom183
05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Jealous about Rise Against, man. One of my favourite bands also.

Training is stellar as always.

Rileigh
05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Rileigh- Right? Sounds painful, though... hopefully she's one of those slow and steady types and took it easy on you. I can't hang with the girls I know who run them regularly.... they have these effortless, economic strides where they look like they're floating. I look like a rhino doing ballet.

Oh I'm sure she took it easy on me, but there was no way I was the one that was going to quit first.

chevelle2291
05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Sigh....Outside of a few bands, hard rock died around 2005 for me. Korn, Chevelle, Trapt, Atreyu, etc., all those guys are fucking horrible now.

Only band I have continued to listen to is Disturbed. All of their albums are pretty damn good, although I wasn't a huge fan of indestructible.

FearFactory
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
this made me LOL forrealz

haha.

Seriously, all I can take is about two sets of deads and my back is smoked. I envy Sir Alex V.

GazzyG
05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Sigh....Outside of a few bands, hard rock died around 2005 for me. Korn, Chevelle, Trapt, Atreyu, etc., all those guys are fucking horrible now.

Only band I have continued to listen to is Disturbed. All of their albums are pretty damn good, although I wasn't a huge fan of indestructible.

I have a couple of their songs on my Spotify. Indestructible, Stricken and Down with the Sickness.

I used to like Mudvayne too, when I was into heavy music.