PDA

View Full Version : Low carbing it!!!

Canadian Viking
06-01-2002, 08:46 PM
This is not the first time nor the last but on Monday, I am starting to LOW carb my meals. I have been very successful with this type of cutting program. I am currently running between 20 and 30 kilometers a week and also hitting the weights an hour at a time on my off days. My one problem I and many others have had with low carb eating is variety. For this reason I am asking for ideas and recipes from you to share, other that tuna straight out of the can. I'm looking for breakfast, lunch, dinner and of course snack ideas that have NO CARBS or very low in carbs. I am married and have a child so my meals have to consist of a little more than tuna and chicken breasts. Thank you and good luck in your journey to greatness.

Clark
06-01-2002, 08:51 PM
I gotta say, breakfast should be easy, just have eggs. Omlettes are great eating in the morning.

WannaBeStrong
06-01-2002, 09:31 PM
I will post my favorite low-carb bar recipe later (gotta find it!)
For now:
Breakfast I ate turkey bacon (i can't eat pork/beef), eggs, oil.
Lunch I hate 2lbs of butter-garlic wings.
Dinner I ate Chicken with Mayo and Cheese.

Snacks consisted of - oil, tuna, and a salad with OIL and vinegar.

mmmm, oil. ;)

WannaBeStrong
06-01-2002, 09:45 PM
Melt 2 TBSP of heavy whipping cream, 1 unsweetened Baker's chocolate
square and 2 TBSP of butter in the microwave. Make sure you use a big enough bowl to add in other ingredients.

While melting mix 3 scoops (3/4 cup) of Big Whey (any will do) chocolate protein powder with 1/3 cup almonds (other nuts also work, but I like almonds). You can also add 1 packet of Aspartame or other artifical sweetener if you so desire.

Mix the dry ingredients with the wet in the same bowl you heated in. (you *wont* get the chocolate out otherwise). You will get a thick powdery dry mixture. I add 1 TBSP of Flax Seed Oil (you can taste it, but it is not overwhelming).
Mix more. Then add 1 TBSP of water at a time, mixing thoroughly inbetween, until the mixture comes together nicely (not too wet!). Once it is in a clump, I place it on a plate and form with a pie slicer into a nice aprrox 5x5" square. Place in the fridge overnight to chill. Before I chill, I like to cut lines in the bar so it is easier to cut in the morning.

I eat the whole thing, but I imagine you could get 3-4 bars out of it easily. It tastes pretty good and it provides a ton of fat for the day!

WHEW! Found it! (that was tough). I had to look through old low-carb messages I used to send!

Here are my ingredients:

--- Fat/ Saturated Carb/Fiber Protein
1 Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate Square --- 7/4.5 4g/2g 2g
2 TBSP WalMart Heavy W.Cream --- 10g/7g 2g/0g 0g
3 scoops Big Whey Protein (chocolate) --- 4.95g/3g 7.2g/1.5g 45g
1/3 cup Almonds --- 14g/1g 6g/3g 7g
1TBSP Arrowhead Mills Flax Seed Oil --- 14g/1g 0g 0g
2 TBSP of Butter --- 22g/* 0g *
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
71.95g 12.7g 54g

12g is a lot to some people, but it never bothered me much. If you're concerned, replace the protein with a 0 carb protein and remove the almonds. Remember fiber doesn't get digested, even though it is counted as a carb. That means you can subtract it! :D

72g of fat and 54g of protein will get you well on your way for the day!

Vido
06-02-2002, 01:38 PM
WannaBeStrong I know you have to eat a decent amount of fat on a low carb diet or you'll lose muscle. 72 g in one meal is a little much and that recipe is a little over 900 cals, so to speed the fat-burning it would be better to eat it over 2-3 meals. Anyway, my question is, other than the almonds and the flax oil, aren't the types of fat used poor? I mean shouldn't you be avoiding things like whipping cream and butter? I would think that even though the macros for a recipe like this are good, it really isn't the best thing to eat on a cutting diet.

WannaBeStrong
06-03-2002, 08:39 AM
First: When on a ketogenic diet, meal frequency doesn't mean as much. Your insulin levels never spike since the carbs are absent.
I lost 12lbs of fat across 6 weeks and I ate 2 times a day sometimes. My hunger was always under complete control.

Second: You don't have to eat the whole thing at once. As I said, you split it up with a knife. I chose to eat it at once, since my time in college [when I used this recipe] was precious.

Third: When you're on a ketogenic diet, the bad fats get eaten up very quickly, since they are used an the primary energy source. Studies show that bad cholesterol levels do not soar as you would expect.

Ketosis is a different animal. When you say "low carb" and "no carb" I assume that is what you refer to.

I've recently had my cholesterol levels checked and I have a very healthy ratio. So besides studies, I have physical evidence to back my findings.

WannaBeStrong
06-03-2002, 08:42 AM
Also: The decent amount of fat on your low carb diet is not to prevent muscle loss. It is to prevent death. Your brain runs on 2 sources...glucose and ketones. The absence of both is what caused a lot of 0 carb people to die. They tried to get all of their calories from proteins, (Chicken, Tuna, etc) and their brains shut down. Adequate protein is required to prevent muscle breakdown (really 1g/lb is adequate), but you need to take the rest in as fat.

Vido
06-03-2002, 10:30 AM
WannaBeStrong what if you are not on a low carb diet, but let's say a diet that tries to eliminate carbs after 3:00pm or something. Do these bad fats still get eaten up very quickly or are these bars strictly for a low or no carb diet? (Let's say for arguments sake I was eating 200 g of carbs before 3:00pm.)

WannaBeStrong
06-03-2002, 10:42 AM
I can't say for sure, but personally, I steer clear of bad fats on diets as you suggested. I am actually on one right now, where carbs are eliminated after my 12:00 meal. My fats come from tuna, turkey, chicken, olive or flax seed oil and almonds. (Almonds are my 12' meal, they have some carbs).

These bars are strictly for a ketogenic style diet. I wouldn't trust them, even though I have no evidence to prove it one way or the other. For the record, my carb intake is about 100g (complex or fruit) before 12:00.

IceRgrrl
06-03-2002, 11:32 AM
It depend on whether you are willing to cook/prepare food, I would say. I like to eat a high protein/lots of non-starchy carbs and veggies when I am watching my diet and have worked out a system that lets me eat stuff I like AND fits my goals even when I'm fairly busy and convenience is a must.

Breakfast:
egg whites or combo whites +whole eggs with a little cheese and maybe some peppers/onions/other veggies

oatmeal with peanut butter

Lunch and/or dinner: protein + "other stuff"
Protein source: chicken, fish, lean red meat
Other stuff: green salad, steamed vegetables, broth-based soup with meat and veggies

Snacks:
Peanuts
cottage cheese
tuna mixed with cottage cheese
fruit
protein bars/shakes

I usually cook up chicken or lean red meat in mass quantities on the weekends and then just reheat or pack for weekday meals. Same thing with soups, salads, veggies. A bit pot of soup lasts a long time, and a huge salad bowl just gets refilled as it goes empty. Soup and salad go a long way towards filling you up and making you feel like you ate a lot. It also is a good way to get more veggies and good stuff into your diet.

Good luck! If you want some specific "recipes", PM me. :)

the doc
06-03-2002, 11:47 AM
that is an ace diet plan

ElPietro
06-03-2002, 11:54 AM
You are so smart Gertrude. :)

I still think the healthy aspect of veggies is merely propaganda to keep farmers in business. They taste so bad...steak rules!

Canadian Viking
06-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Great info here, I know about the basics: meat, cheese, eggs, but I would like to get ideas on the healthier vegtables, and low carb snack ideas. Different things to vary what I eat in a day. Please keep the ideas rolling!!!

IceRgrrl
06-04-2002, 06:03 PM
Just about any vegetable is low carb and good for you, though some like corn, carrots, peas have a high natural sugar content (hence the terms "sweet peas" and "sweet corn") and will have slightly higher carb content.

Try green beans, broccoli, sweet potatoes, bell peppers (green, red, yellow), asparagus, cauliflower, non-iceberg lettuces (romaine, Boston, escarole, red/green leaf, field mixes, etc.), summer squashes (like zucchini and yellow squash), etc.

Prelude
06-06-2002, 03:22 PM
What is a CID and Isocaloric diet? Any good websites I can go to that gives alot of good info about these diets? Thanks

Canadian Viking
06-14-2002, 10:48 AM
bump