PDA

View Full Version : briefs for raw squatters

JSully
02-02-2012, 08:54 AM
My trouble point has always been the middle of a squat. Getting past that sticking point about 6-8 inches out of the hole. My parallel is about 14" and I squat down to roughly 11-12" for my full squats. I'm strong out of the hole and my lockout is strong. This week I did a 675 reverse efs strong band squat and it felt solid. I had 7+ in me but the way I had the bands setup, I couldn't get it on the bar. Plus, since this was the first time ever going that heavy, I didn't want to push it too hard and risk injury. I'd like to get heavy weight like this on my back more often so I'm thinking about buying a pair of light briefs. My thoughts are that I can overload my top end and get used to heavier weights. Also I'm thinking the added power out of the hole will translate to strengthening that sticking point.. just another tool for the shed.

I don't want to spend a fortune and I'm not looking for something to add 200lbs to my squat.. just something that will give me extra support at the bottom while I overload the top end.

Something along the lines of these: http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HD_GROO or http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=GROOVE

Thoughts? Recommendations?

drew
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM
If you are going to be a raw lifter, I wouldn't use briefs for what you are looking to do. You will most likely end up hurting your raw squat. If you were having hip issues, I would say go ahead but just to overload the top end you might be better off squatting against bands, with chains, or even incorporating high box squats.

Alex.V
02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Drew, I think you're making a very good point overall, but I have to say... using briefs occasionally HAS spared me a lot of hip pain over the years. I tend to squat wide, and stay sore for quite a while. Rotating them in every few weeks let me continue to load weight on the bar (and stay comfortable with the walkouts etc) while giving my hips a break.

drew
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Drew, I think you're making a very good point overall, but I have to say... using briefs occasionally HAS spared me a lot of hip pain over the years. I tend to squat wide, and stay sore for quite a while. Rotating them in every few weeks let me continue to load weight on the bar (and stay comfortable with the walkouts etc) while giving my hips a break.

I agree with you. As I said, if the issue is pain, briefs are a good idea. If the issue is to get a bigger raw squat, I think in most cases briefs are not a good idea.

Brian C
02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I dont see nothing wrong with adding them in the rotation. As long as your not using them every week, you wont hurt your raw squat. Ive used those groove briefs and got maybe 50 out of them.

SchultzeStrengt
02-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I use a pair of single ply inzer powerpants from time to time to keep my hips feeling good. I havent had any issues in not being able to squat big raw since using them.

mastermonster
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
What I have found in my own case is that my raw squat incresaed significately while lifting in gear. There is a lot of benefit to the overload and your body's adapting to it. You might consider buying a used single ply suit and using it straps down. Using the straps to pull a suit on is easier than putting on briefs. You'll also have a suit if you ever want to do an equipped meet or for strongman events that allow them. A used suit would be cheaper than a good pair of new briefs and already broken in. I also wouldn't recommend groove briefs (especially if you have big upper thighs. They feel like your crotch is getting cut off! Get something with boxer length legs. It's better to have the tight leg bands down your thigh than cutting all the surface vascular system in your groin! I've used both...never will use groove briefs again. The hip support is way inferior without the legs too. If you're going to use them for helping your hips you may as well use the one's that give the best support and provide the best overload potential.

JSully
02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
thanks for the comments everyone, I appreciate it