PDA

View Full Version : Some benching vid from my block training

vdizenzo
02-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm about halfway through my training cycle. This was the week I was not looking forward to. 450 for 5 sets of 4 with 2-3 minute rest periods beteween sets looked daunting when I first looked at the program. I am really pleased with how it went. Got a deload then I start with intensification. Looking forward to seeing how I handle heavier weights now that I'm through all of the light and moderate work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi316jYKv0E&feature=share

RhodeHouse
02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Great lifting, bro. Your number will fall!

ScottYard
02-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Nice speed. Squat shoes?

vdizenzo
02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Great lifting, bro. Your number will fall!

Thanks for all the help bro. You help me keep in track big man.

Nice speed. Squat shoes?

Holy cow Scott, they give me so much more stability than any other shoe I have ever worn. Plus the grip gym mats like crazy. After wearing them squatting just once I knew the would kick a$$ with benching also. For real, give them a try.

joey54
02-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I noticed the shoes as well. Great video Vincent, thanks for posting. That is the way to move weight.

Travis Bell
02-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Great job buddy! That's a LOT of work!

April Mathis
02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a question. Why does the weight start so light with the program you're doing? I saw some of the rest of it and I think it only started in low-300s or so for a few sets that I remember. Considering you've benched 600 raw, isn't this still too easy? I mean everything in this video with the 450 looked real easy. I would assume benching 600, you could get 4 or 5 sets of 8-10 no problem with that same weight instead of just sets of 4. So, what would the point of training this way be exactly is my question?

vdizenzo
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I have a question. Why does the weight start so light with the program you're doing? I saw some of the rest of it and I think it only started in low-300s or so for a few sets that I remember. Considering you've benched 600 raw, isn't this still too easy? I mean everything in this video with the 450 looked real easy. I would assume benching 600, you could get 4 or 5 sets of 8-10 no problem with that same weight instead of just sets of 4. So, what would the point of training this way be exactly is my question?

April, this is the beauty of block programming. Moving lots of light weight to move heavy weight. I am doing more volume than I have ever done. That work all adds up. The program will crescendo into my realization block and then into the competition.

My program started very light because I undertook an 18 week training cycle. I needed to build my way up to volume. It's not something I am used to at all. If I tried to hit 450 for 5 sets of 4 with 2-3 minutes rest just 6 months ago I would have failed miserably. Don't forget, I am benching on Mondays also. My bench volume now compared to what I used to do is crazy.

RhodeHouse
02-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Not to mention that Block Periodization has worked for almost 50 years in weightlifting. The wheel still works in it's original design.

Butcher
02-04-2012, 09:41 PM
4 and a half tons of bench volume, I don't think very many people in the world would scoff at that!

ScottYard
02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the help bro. You help me keep in track big man.

Holy cow Scott, they give me so much more stability than any other shoe I have ever worn. Plus the grip gym mats like crazy. After wearing them squatting just once I knew the would kick a$$ with benching also. For real, give them a try.

I used to wear them as well. They are great for benching. Good luck.

April Mathis
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
April, this is the beauty of block programming. Moving lots of light weight to move heavy weight. I am doing more volume than I have ever done. That work all adds up. The program will crescendo into my realization block and then into the competition.

My program started very light because I undertook an 18 week training cycle. I needed to build my way up to volume. It's not something I am used to at all. If I tried to hit 450 for 5 sets of 4 with 2-3 minutes rest just 6 months ago I would have failed miserably. Don't forget, I am benching on Mondays also. My bench volume now compared to what I used to do is crazy.

Ok thanks for answering. I'm going to pay attention to the rest of it and how you do at the end.