PDA

View Full Version : Please check my new and improived diet and please give me your advice

Keen_Machine
02-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi All,

Since I posted my last diet on here I have had some very good feedback from you all and so I have come up with a new diet which will hopefully look much better than the previous one!

Before I start just a little background information about me:
Weight: 176 pounds (80kg)
Height: 173cm
Goal: lose body-fat (especially my belly) and put on muscle mass

From all the helpful threads I have read on here. My current calorie intake to maintain my weight is 2112 cal

Macros:
Protein 176g of protein
Fats: 60g of Fat

Current Diet

Breakfast (5am)
instant oats with low fat milk banana and flax-seed
Protein Shake
Post workout protein shake (6:30am)

Total: 740 calories, 69g protein, 18 Fat, 93g carbs

Meal 2 (8:30/9:00am)
Almonds (handful)
peanut butter sandwich

Total: 433 calories, 7g protein, 24.5g fat, 25g carbs

Meal 3 (12:30/1:00pm)
Pasta
Carrot

Total: 623 calories, 26g protein, 2g fat, 115 carbs

Meal 4 (4pm)
Almonds (handful)
Strawberries (3 pieces)

Total: 180 calories, 7g protein, 14g fat, 6 carbs

Meal 5
Tuna Salad (tuna, spinach leaves, lettuce, tomato, capsicum etc with a hint of extra virgin olive oil)

Total: 120 calories, 20g protein, 2g fat, 1g carbs

Meal 6
Night time protein shake

Total: 120cal, 24g protein, 1g fat, 3g carbs

Grand Total: 2216 calories, 153g protein, 61g fat, 243g carbs

Sometime I substitute pasta with brown rice.

Please could you give me your opinion(s) on the diet?

Also, I have just got back into going to the gym and the program I was given by the trainer I thought was quite odd. It basically involved working my full body in one day!

It involved exercises like leg press, chest fly machine, shoulder dumbbells etc.

Is that a good program to start with? When i went to the gym regularly in the past I always concentrated on two muscle parts on any given day (such as tri and chest, back and bi, legs and shoulders).

Please could you advice me on a good beginners program? Or should I stick to the one I was given by the trainer?

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

April Mathis
02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Should add protein from beef, chicken, eggs, and such not just shakes or peanut butter.

Seriously doubt you will put on much if any muscle mass eating that little.

And why so little calories in the second half of the day? Assuming you probably lift in the late afternoon or evening (as most people do after work) one of your biggest meals should be after lifting.

Also, the program you mention sounds dumb if it's based on mostly machine work. You should prioritize heavy compound lifts like bench press, squat, deadlift, barbell rows, shoulder press and similar. Then use dbs and isolation and machine work as accesories to the main basic lifts. Splitting up the days is probably better, but even if you only do a couple full-body days each week, they should still have heavy compound lifts.

Keen_Machine
02-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your reply April Mathis. Sorry I forgot to elaborate on the pasta meal but that has chicken breast in it. I train in the mornings (straight after breakfast). Will definately look into eating more protein from lean meat. My calorie intake for the day is already more than maintenance calorie intake - i am afraid that adding in more food will only make me gain more weight?

My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle and hopefully stick to the 80kg mark for now.

Thanks!

RhodeHouse
02-04-2012, 09:30 PM
To echo what April said, you need to eat:

Beef
Chicken
Fish
Pork
Eggs

for your protein intake. If you want to build some real muscle, you need to eat your face off. I would increase your protein. I don't know if you're one of those types that thinks they can gain muscle without gaining weight - you really can't and at your age and bodyweight, you should look to pack on the lbs. The bigger you get, the stronger you get, the more muscle you build. After you actually pack on some lbs you can choose to drop some weight in hopes of dropping fat.

Stonecutter
02-05-2012, 06:08 AM
I don't know if you're one of those types that thinks they can gain muscle without gaining weight

This. First thing you should do is a pick goal. Do you want to lose fat or gain muscle? It's extremely hard to do both at the same time unless you are a total beginner. Either way, maintenance calories is probably not the place to be. It could work that way, but it's gonna be a long road.

Keen_Machine
02-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Guys, thanks for your advice.

Let's say I wanna begin by losing fat. Would the diet mentioned above suffice? my calorie intake is 2216 and maintenance is 2112. Would 100 calories make a big difference? Should I reduce what I am eating to achieve a lower cal intake than maintenance? And if so how much lower does it need to be?

I now understand I can't do both (lose fat and gain muscle) at the same time. I will aim to lose the fat first then put on muscle mass. I guess in terms of training I have to do a lot more reps in my sets. Do the excercises themselves need to change also? I am in the middle of writing up a program and it involves a 4 day split targeting:
Lower body
Chest and triceps
Back and biceps
and on the fourth day I do squats dead lifts and bench press (fourth day is after a rest day)

Alex.V
02-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Guys, thanks for your advice.

Let's say I wanna begin by losing fat. Would the diet mentioned above suffice? my calorie intake is 2216 and maintenance is 2112. Would 100 calories make a big difference? Should I reduce what I am eating to achieve a lower cal intake than maintenance? And if so how much lower does it need to be?

No. In fact, if that 2112 number is even remotely accurate day to day, I'd be beyond shocked and amazed. I'm sure your body needs 2000 one day, 2600 the next. Calculating it down to 2216 is kinda silly.

I would focus on putting on some muscle mass first. Otherwise, really, you'll end up being a skinny ripped guy. That's a lousy place to start, especially because you're so worried about keeping your abs that you'll never end up getting much bigger. I'd say up the calories to about 3000 (or 2917, if you prefer, though 3062 might work as well), try to gain a good 5-10 pounds in the next six months, THEN start to think about dieting.

Note: Rhodes will disagree with the part of the last sentence after the comma.

Stonecutter
02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I guess in terms of training I have to do a lot more reps in my sets.
No, quite the opposite actually if you're trying to lose fat. A lot of times people mistakenly do that, but you should really be reducing volume and maintaining intensity.

RhodeHouse
02-06-2012, 08:21 PM
You really need to completely change how you think. Lift weights and build muscle and get bigger. If you build muscle you'll end up buring more calories (potentially more fat) than if you just diet.

You number one goal should be to build a shitload of muscle. Don't think about dieting! Build muscle! If you get a little fatter than you like, increase your conditioning, but don't ever stop gaining muscle. It's A LOT HARDER THAN PEOPLE THINK! If it was that easy, I wouldn't have so many little people to pick on.

By your posts, you have clearly made up your mind and you're not going to listen. I warn you, don't wallow in skinny weak guy land your whole life. Abs aren't that cool. A big ass squat is. Any douche bag can have abs. It's easy. Not anyone can squat big. Eat your face off and get bigfger and stronger.

Besides, chicks don't care about abs.

ZAR-FIT
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
honestly man, i think your diet needs a complete overhaul... meals like almonds and pb sandwich... almonds and strawberries.... pasta and carrot.... they bother the hell out me...
these should be changed to a lean protein source and ether veggies or some solid complex carbs... it'll make huge differences

Keen_Machine
02-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks a lot for all your input guys.

Rhodehouse - Thanks for the advice, I am here to listen. I must admit I have been reading a lot on here but still have got a lot more to learn! Will listen to you with regards to building more muscle. I'm not aiming for abs I do wanna put on muscle. But from what I read on these forums you gotta also eat right?

Zar-fit - Thanks for your response. I will look into getting protein from lean meats like beef and chicken breast etc.

Keen_Machine
02-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Have added 2 boiled eggs and chicken breast + sweet potatoe. All of this including breakfast meal is eaten post-workout. Been on the diet for about a week now with no real change in weight. WHat sort of weekly changes does one expect to see on the scale?

fpr
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
The scale is a terrible thing to use because you could very well be changing your body composition opposed to losing weight. But on average 1-2 lbs weight loss per week