PDA

View Full Version : Circa Max

Hogbody_308
02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I hear the Westside guys talk about it a lot and all I know is that it's with in the last 4 weeks of training before meet day. What exactly is it and how dose it work to prep you for meet day? I honestly can't remember Louie writing an article about circa max stuff in PLUSA.

mikesbench
02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
There is an article by Matt Wenning called Extreme Squat Training and Squat Cycle the I read on elite, sums up a whole meet cycle including circa max

Brian C
02-06-2012, 09:13 AM
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/squat-training-and-cycle/

Hogbody_308
02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the article Brian C. Dose anyone know how to modify Circa Max training if say you have no bands and lift raw?

MarcusWild
02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Raw lifters shouldn't do circa max.

ehubbard
02-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Uh, at the very least you would need bands. I don't buy the raw lifters shouldn't do X stance. If your strong enough for it, try it and see if it works for you. If your box squat strength doesn't transfer over to your free squat, then I think it may not be best idea.

I would set up band tension like this:

500 -600 lb raw squat - green and purple choked around monolift base
600 -700 lb raw squat - blue and purple choked around monolift base
700 -800 lb raw squat - blue and green choked around monolift base

If your not in any of the above categories I would probably skip the notion of doing a circa max.

SELK
02-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I setup a "circa max" phase for a raw lifter before, i think it has its merit but doing it to a low box against bands likely isnt a great idea. I think we did straight weight no box, then overloaded at the top with a reverse mini band on the second week. He hit a PR at the meet.

for geared lifter, this is how I set it up and it works well for me (westside could be completely different, I really dont know)

w1: 1 inch high box squat to 1rm with 300lbs of band tension (wearing briefs and suit straps down)
w2: 1 inch high box squat to 2rm with 400lbs of band tension (wearing briefs and suit straps down)

Pretty much whatever I can get (at the top) of w1 is what I get at the meet, week 2 helps to overload and get used to heavy weights on my back. I use a slightly high box because that is where I miss.

Hogbody_308
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Selk it dosent sound like too much switching around. Why is there only 2 weeks?

SELK
02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Ive always thought of the Circa-Max phase as the way to peak your squat, you have built all of the strength doing your special movements and speed work and the circa max helps to translate those strength gains into a contest lift.

I think that most circa-max phases are still only 2 weeks the way that most people do them. You are doing dynamic squats on the dynamic day and special movement (special bars, good mornings, rack pulls etc) on the max effort day before starting the circa max for several weeks.

Everyone does this a little differently, but I imagine the westside guys have it the most dialed in and know exactly what kind of weight + band tension is needed to squat X amount at the meet. I use as high as 70% straight weight during my circa max which I think is higher than most but ive found it to work for me.