PDA

View Full Version : expired casein protein

dsol2434
02-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Just curious I have some gold standard 100 percent casein protein that has been expired for 2 years. Anyone think this is still good to use? Does the protein powder become toxic or does it just lose its effectiveness after it expires?

Stonecutter
02-07-2012, 03:47 AM
I don't know how it could lose it's "effectiveness", but after two years, I would definitely throw it out. Don't take the chance.

dynamo
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
do what i do. Get your nose in that bottle as much as possible, if it smells good, try a little dry powder, if it tastes good, mix it up, take a sip, if it still tastes good, drink it. Then WAIT. See if you throw up or shit your pants, if not, you're good to go.

RhodeHouse
02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
do what i do. Get your nose in that bottle as much as possible, if it smells good, try a little dry powder, if it tastes good, mix it up, take a sip, if it still tastes good, drink it. Then WAIT. See if you throw up or shit your pants, if not, you're good to go.

Yup! Don't waste protein powder.

ZAR-FIT
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
eat it man

PatoriaN
02-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Unless you are on a budget, then why not buy some more? It doesn't cost much if you live in the states...Hell, it costs 80 bucks for 56 serves here and I wouldn't even bother.

I would assume that they have "use by" and "expires on" the packaging for good reason.

BigPie
02-23-2012, 12:58 AM
I've read somewhere that the "expiration date" is one of the biggest scams that manufacturers run. They include an expiration date way before the real expiration date to force you to throw it out and buy a new one. I've read that most industries practice this.

But then again, 2 years is a pretty long time.

thecityalive
02-23-2012, 01:42 AM
I had a similar question a long time ago, and my advice for you is to just eat it. As long as it has been kept out of moisture, you should be good to go.

Alex.V
02-23-2012, 07:16 AM
I've read somewhere that the "expiration date" is one of the biggest scams that manufacturers run. They include an expiration date way before the real expiration date to force you to throw it out and buy a new one. I've read that most industries practice this.

But then again, 2 years is a pretty long time.

It's not a scam, it's just considered good practice. (Though it's required by law on certain things like baby formula).

Shelf lives for products are usually standardized based on their fastest-spoiling ingredient. There's a buffer built in, of course, and expiration/spoilage depends very much on storage conditions.

This is consumer-driven. Expiration dates do the suppliers and sellers next to no good- it's a cause for significant loss at the retail level, though many suppliers actually issue credits for unsold expired goods.

They would not willingly build in this much waste solely to sell more product to people who happen to leave a tub of protein sitting in their pantry for two years.