PDA

View Full Version : Beans.. anything wrong with them?

Coleman
06-02-2002, 06:26 PM
I was looking at the label for a can of pork and beans and was amazed. 20ish grams of protein, 61!! grams of carbs, 3 grams of fat and about 15 grams of fiber. These seem like a wonder food for well, just about anything. Is there something wrong with them that I'm missing?

raniali
06-02-2002, 06:34 PM
1. it's processed
2. loads of sugar

Jane
06-02-2002, 06:54 PM
Too many carbs, imo. But depends on your goals.

Coleman
06-02-2002, 08:12 PM
What about homemade beans? They're made with brown sugar too, not white if that means anything.

Wouldnt lots of carbs be good for bulking?

the doc
06-02-2002, 10:03 PM
straight beans are a good food. Preferably boiled beans (pressure cooked)

body
06-03-2002, 04:26 AM
the problem with beans in tomato sauce is lots of added sugar and salt.

if you eat beans by them self, lots of fibre and low gi.

though tryksa may say they have lots of estrogens in i think. though beans are full of lots of toxins, but in low concentrations.

sweet-physique
06-03-2002, 08:46 AM
Red kidney beans, garbonzo beans (chic peas), plain white or pinto beans. These are all good in moderation, especially when eaten or mixed with chiken, fish, or lean red meat. They have more protein, lower GI, and more fiber than brown rice or yams. If you buy the canned variety be sure to rinse them well, its always better to make them from dried bags yourself, but this is a time consuming process. Stay away from the pork and beans or baked beans in cans, they have extrasodium, surgar and fat you do need.

WannaBeStrong
06-03-2002, 08:49 AM
"I love beans, woo woo woo,
I love beans, how bout you?
High in fiber, low in fat...
Hey, I bet you didn't know that!
When I eat beans, I sit in my own little cloud.
Nobody comes to visit me...in my little cloud." - Brak (Space Ghost's Cartoon Planet)

WillyTheGreat
06-03-2002, 09:23 PM
What I've been doing is I've been buying Hormel 99% Fat Free Turkey Chili with Beans (and occasionally without...whenever they're on sale).

I don't know about any sugar but I know there is a lot of sodium in them and I don't know if it's bad but it has a hell of a lot of protein and carbs though. I guess it might not work for cutting but it should for bulking. Besides, if you don't want to eat a full can, share it with a brother or your dog. =)

the doc
06-03-2002, 11:35 PM
:fart:

IceRgrrl
06-04-2002, 09:57 AM
Had some bad experiences with beans, doc? :D

If you are cooking dry beans, soak them in water overnight, then drain and rinse them before cooking...helps to reduce the uh, "flatulence factor"

Tiare
06-04-2002, 10:05 AM
I love beans. Great food IMO for cutting or bulking, just depends on the rest of your diet. Also do a great job of keeping the irritating people away from you via flatulence.