PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shakes

nejar462
05-03-2001, 02:13 PM
Sorry, again I'm fairly new to this hardcore lifting, are protein shakes good to use? Are there any side effects? Should I start using them?

Darcy Tucker
05-03-2001, 02:30 PM
Protein helps in growth and repair so it is wise to have a lot of protein if you are trying to get muscular. Sometimes you feel bloated while taking protein. The prolab whey protein I am taking now gives me the worst smelling gas in the world. And lots of it too. This by itself is a huge problem for me.:D

nejar462
05-03-2001, 02:41 PM
Also how often I should take it would be a huge help, and if i could substitute a shake for a meal, 6 meals a day is going to be hard, unless i can use those shakes

Spiderman
05-04-2001, 05:20 AM
Yes you can use those shakes, but make sure they have more than just protein in them. You need to have a shake that contains some carbs in it as well. Not enough carbs and you won't be able to lift well. As for your last meal of the day just make it protein, no carbs at all. Hope this helps some. :cool:

Joe Black
05-04-2001, 05:29 AM
plam your diet first, then worry about protein supplements.

Once you have your calories, proitein, fat and carbs outlined for 5-6 meals then you can start to look at substituting a few meals for shakes...

I make my meal 2 a nlarge weight gainer which holds 50 grams of protein and 80 or so carbs with a small amount of fat,,

Then my last meal is post workout so I use some scoops of whey for my protein there but use real food for carbs in that meal..

Get your diet sorted first..

gino
05-04-2001, 07:07 AM
Yes, listen to hulk. Get as much nutrients as possible from whole food. I only drink protein shakes if I'm in a hurry because I'm late for work, pressed for time, etc.

If you're eating a couple chicken breasts, a couple cans of tuna, steak, and a quart of milk every day, there's no need for protein shakes. And believe me, you'll get much better results with whole food than with processed protein powder.