PDA

View Full Version : Supplement Industry Rant

chris mason
02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Ok, so I had a customer contact us and ask what is the difference between BSN's Syntha-6 and our Nitrean or Nitrean+. To be honest, I knew their product used a blend, and I know I had looked at it in the past, but it had been some time so I decided to look it up. Here is what I saw:

"Protein & Amino Acid Matrix Comprised of (Whey Protein Concentrate [Milk & Soy], Whey Protein Isolate [Milk & Soy], Calcium Caseinate Casein [Milk & Soy], Micellar Casein [Milk & Soy], Milk Protein Isolate [Milk & Soy], Egg Albumen [Egg], and Glutamine Peptides [Wheat]), Sunflower Powder Consisting of (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate [Milk], Mono- & Di-Glycerides, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Lecithin [Soy], and Tocopherols), Polydextrose, Natural & Artificial Flavors [Milk & Soy], MCT Powder Consisting of (Medium Chain Triglycerides, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Disodium Phosphate, and Silicon Dioxide), Cellulose Gum, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, FD&C Yellow #5, Papain, and Bromelain."

Now, I don't remember the product having included soy protein in the past, but I can't be sure. I can't tell you how surprised I was. A lot of people love and recommend this product. I wonder if they realize a large component of its protein is soy derived?

This brings me to my rant. First, just look at the way it is listed. They try to hide the soy content. Soy just happens to be a very inexpensive protein when compared to milk proteins. Next, the primary ingredient is whey concentrate. There is nothing wrong with whey concentrate per se, but it is the least expensive form of whey protein. In addition, whey concentrate can vary dramatically in its protein content by weight. Based upon the fact they have a lot of soy in their product and concentrate is the primary form of whey I am willing to bet the whey concentrate they use is a cheaper, higher lactose version as opposed to the 80+% versions you can get.

Another thing about the labeling is that ingredients must be listed in order of inclusion from most to least. Whey and soy concentrate being first could mean that it is only a relatively small percentage of the total protein, say 30%, OR it could mean it is 90% and the other protein types are only included in token amounts. Of the percent inclusion, whatever it is, how much is whey and how much is soy? All of this is not to mention the 13g of carbs per serving which are yet another very inexpensive ingredient.

Do you get the point? 5 lbs of this stuff sells on Bodybuilding.com for $44.99 and it is made up of the cheapest ingredients more or less possible for a protein supplement yet they market it like it is some kind of premium product. Their margin must be VERY nice. No wonder they have huge ad budgets.

The REALLY sad part is none of the above makes a difference to most people. In their mind that product compares very favorably with my Nitrean, Nitrean+, or Opticen products when in reality they are WORLDS apart in terms of ingredients. Just a quick example, Nitrean uses whey concentrate as its primary form of whey, but while that may sound similar at face value it isn't. The quality of the concentrate is very high (high protein by weight). Concentrate also only accounts for about 50% of the whey blend in the product and whey itself about 64% of the total protein (with casein and egg coming in at about 18% each - Nitrean+ is a different matrix with whey isolate being the primary type). In other words, whey isolate and hydrolyzed isolate also contribute significantly to the whey blend.

Anyway, I was just thinking about this and had to say something. Most supplement companies take the low road, the road to maximized profits at the expense of the products. Other companies, like mine, do it right. Who do you want to support?

Jonathan E
02-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Good shit, nice to know their are people making things for the benefit of others like yourself. (Being a results and Nitrean user myself.)

I dont feel its necessary to start a new thread so ill ask a quick question:
The only form of free amino acids im taking are those found in your BCAA mix you sell. And im only taking it on training days. Do i need more for my daily intake? Also, their are 4 different types of amino's in the BCAA mix, are their other types recommended to taking?

chris mason
02-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Good shit, nice to know their are people making things for the benefit of others like yourself. (Being a results and Nitrean user myself.)

I dont feel its necessary to start a new thread so ill ask a quick question:
The only form of free amino acids im taking are those found in your BCAA mix you sell. And im only taking it on training days. Do i need more for my daily intake? Also, their are 4 different types of amino's in the BCAA mix, are their other types recommended to taking?

Unless you are on a very hypocaloric or low protein diet I would only use the BCAA+ on training days. BCAA stands for branched chain amino acids which are leucine, isoleucine, and valine. The ingredients in BCAA+ should do the trick for isolated amino acid intake.

Jonathan E
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks chris

f=ma
02-12-2012, 08:09 AM
chris, maybe a portion of the label for your products should show the % of protein contents by type by volume to demonstrate the superiority relative to "comparable" blends

chris mason
02-12-2012, 11:59 AM
chris, maybe a portion of the label for your products should show the % of protein contents by type by volume to demonstrate the superiority relative to "comparable" blends

Well, the problem would be no one else would have the balls to do it so it would be meaningless as you could not compare our product to someone else's.

f=ma
02-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Well, the problem would be no one else would have the balls to do it so it would be meaningless as you could not compare our product to someone else's.

well, that is the point. you would be separating yourself from the rest of the protein supplement industry. this industry is more or less built upon deception of the consumer. a play to the contrary would be an interesting move. you have already established a position of making honest recommendations; why not use that in marketing to your advantage?

e.g., clearly state
%whey
%casein
%soy

.. accompanied with a grandiose claim of "Nitrean+: unequivocally superior to any other protein mix available anywhere"

with that information, you have made a claim that your blend is superior (which as I understand, you believe to be true) and demonstrated why this claim is true (the % of protein blend and protein content by volume). the ability of competition to dispute your claim would very limited as it will be necessary demonstrate why their version is better. if you are factually correct about the contents of their protein mix products, then this is impossible.

just a thought.

chris mason
02-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, an interesting thought. I would be curious what others think about it as I am unsure it would convince anyone. In other words, I don't know that people would see it as any different than what everyone else does from a claim-making perspective.

larsen540
02-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Great Rant Chris

JSully
02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Well, an interesting thought. I would be curious what others think about it as I am unsure it would convince anyone. In other words, I don't know that people would see it as any different than what everyone else does from a claim-making perspective.

I think it comes down to the knowledge of the athletes looking for the supplement.

Those that know what they want and know what is superior will comprehend the difference. Those that just don't know will probably just go with the cheaper protein. In any case, it would be informative for current and potential clientele as a decent marketing tactic that would take very little to do.

SteelerBill
02-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Bottom line Chris, if I may, people 'want to be sold'....Thus they will fall for the latest and greatest regardless of facts presented to the contrary...

chris mason
02-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Bottom line Chris, if I may, people 'want to be sold'....Thus they will fall for the latest and greatest regardless of facts presented to the contrary...

Sad but true...

patricky
02-29-2012, 04:42 AM
I think listing percentages would be a great idea. I already knew nitrean had a decent amount of egg and casein compared to the mainstream bands. But your average bloke doesn't know that.

All I can is wow. Soy protein? Woudn't expect any more from a company that has so many bogus supplements.

Chris.Indi
03-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Just signed up for the forum,and also ordered my first shipment of Nitrean+. I am used to researching product before i buy, but i know many simply do fall victim to the ads. If the Atlarge product line did list such info, I know for me, it would have made my decision much simpler! My .02
-Chris
Also, i did a search and found cholesterol quoted at 23mg a serving in Nitrean ... which i think is great... good label info?

LilHillbilly
03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
There are a lot of shady companies out there pushing out terrible products (see muscle milk.) When I get paid I'm gonna check out the spuulements you guys offer, because this one I'm using now is bleh. Not enough calories for something that claims to be meal replacement.