PDA

View Full Version : Heavy drinking after workout

Hung Wellington
02-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Not really sure what forum to put this. Maybe it's off topic?

Anyway, I'm wondering, what are in your experience the consequences of drinking a lot of alcohol the night after a work out? I'm not talking about a couple of drinks. I'm talking the kind of drinking where you feel like shit the next day and might not remember everything (like why you are waking up next to that skank and not the "10" you were talking to last night).

Does the workout you did still "work" or does the drinking negate it sort of? I guess I'm asking if the body is still able to do what it usually does after the work out in terms of protein synthesis and all that. (Sorry I'm a bit uneducated on the details of that kind of stuff.)

I've read Martin Berkhan's article on this topic, but I have a feeling he is talking about quite moderate drinking?

LilHillbilly
02-10-2012, 07:54 PM
You can't expect to see proper gains from the gym if you wear your body out in the gym then go drink like it's going out of style.

ZAR-FIT
02-10-2012, 08:16 PM
The way i was taught to think of it is, one sip/shot is like deleting a set from your workout. so by the end of your night you've negated all your work.

Scientifically, it F*cks you over big time. It retards everything in your bodies metabolism. Protein wont be broken down and utilized. Nutrients will be wasted in digesting the alcohol instead of the protein and other nutrients.

Alex.V
02-10-2012, 09:35 PM
F that. I drink after nearly every workout. Be happy to compare lifts.

Alex.V
02-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Scientifically, it F*cks you over big time. It retards everything in your bodies metabolism. Protein wont be broken down and utilized. Nutrients will be wasted in digesting the alcohol instead of the protein and other nutrients.

Scientifically, NONE of that is true.

Behemoth
02-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Truth here. Alcohol is incredibly blown out of proportion as far a detriment is concerned.

Hung Wellington
02-10-2012, 11:04 PM

Heavy drinking tho? I never believed that a few drinks could do much harm..

Behemoth
02-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Heavy drinking tho? I never believed that a few drinks could do much harm..

Take it from a guy who went though a shit period and spent every night in the bar until last call for 4 months, it was completely negligible in the face of hard training and otherwise adequate nutrition.
Not trying to condone drinking, and especially not like I did then, just sharing my anecdotal account about how I progressed excellent in the presence of it

Daniel Roberts
02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
If you're planning to drink like that after every workout, you've bigger problems to worry about than ruining a training session.

Incidentally, once a week, getting hosed isn't going to negate a workout, the work's been done, the message sent, but tying one on 3-4 times a week, I'd be surprised if you made it to the gym.

And so we're clear, I'm talking about smashing it up, barely alive next day, unexplained cuts and bruises, and a nasty recollection of a brothel type drinking.

Normal few beers, with a once a week smash, no worries (this assumes you're not planning on competing in London 2012 or similar).

Monkeyleg
02-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm new here, and so I know I have to tread lightly.

That said, as an alcoholic of some 40 years who's been sober for 3 1/2 years, I recognize the OP's question. I've seen it on countless forums, and heard it from many other people in person.

When the question is asked, "will heavy drinking affect (fill in the blank)", the questioner almost always has a drinking problem that ranges from moderate to very serious.

Heavy drinking may not affect your workouts now, but years down the road it will affect every aspect of your life, including your physique.

Getting off my soapbox now.

joey54
02-11-2012, 06:47 AM
One really shouldn't drink like you are describing on any regular basis much past their college/early twenties, if that at all. I know Belial is a beer lover, but he would not be called a heavy drinker by any means. As the post above states, drinking in that fashion eventually leads to more pressing matters than how it affects one's training.

I work in the addiction field and while I personally see this as conservative figures, binge drinking is usually seen as having more than 2 alcoholic drinks(1 shot, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine; not a jack and coke where half the glass is whiskey) in a one hour period. Also having much more than 12 alcoholic drinks in a weekly basis could indicate abuse/dependence issues. Just things to think about.

ScottYard
02-11-2012, 08:13 AM
I've never had any issues. I've even gone weeks with out drinking and my lifts were still the same as If I drank 3-4 nights per week.

Hung Wellington
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the excellent and honest replies.

I was talking about a once a week max-thing. Like typically I train on Fridays, but I also often go out that night. If it was true that the drinking "negated" the work out, it would be kind of pointless to do that and I would try to somehow change my schedule.

Thanks for the heads up MonkeyLeg & joey..

tom183
02-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I've heard some trainers go as far as to say that it not only negates the training session you've just done but also you're next future session.

Any statement so vague can't be taken seriously. I've set PRs the day after getting hammered the night before.

ZAR-FIT
02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
people sound like idiots when they say heavy drinking and weight lifting are a good pair... if you feel it necessary to get blasted often consider yourself as dedicated to your body and your lifting as that fat girl who says she needs to lose weight while eating a Big Mac and a Chocolate freaking shake!!

tom183
02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
people sound like idiots when they say heavy drinking and weight lifting are a good pair

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that. The negative effects of alcohol are exaggerated is the message that I'm getting.

Alex.V
02-12-2012, 05:57 AM
people sound like idiots when they say heavy drinking and weight lifting are a good pair... if you feel it necessary to get blasted often consider yourself as dedicated to your body and your lifting as that fat girl who says she needs to lose weight while eating a Big Mac and a Chocolate freaking shake!!

If she actually does lose weight on big macs and chocolate shakes, then more power to her. The only people who'd be upset by that are the people eating rice cakes to do the same. People can be dedicated to their bodies without being obsessive... Nobody is telling others they SHOULD drink, simply saying you CAN and still make plenty of progress.

And the answer to the OP's question is "no, it doesn't negate your workout.". Period, full stop.

ScottYard
02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
If she actually does lose weight on big macs and chocolate shakes, then more power to her. The only people who'd be upset by that are the people eating rice cakes to do the same. People can be dedicated to their bodies without being obsessive... Nobody is telling others they SHOULD drink, simply saying you CAN and still make plenty of progress.

And the answer to the OP's question is "no, it doesn't negate your workout.". Period, full stop.

I agree. More then one way to skin the cat. BTW I had 5 vodka tonic the night before I benched 800 the first time in a meet lol.

CarlP
02-12-2012, 07:32 AM
I agree. More then one way to skin the cat. BTW I had 5 vodka tonic the night before I benched 800 the first time in a meet lol.

So now we find the truth. Alcohol actually makes you stronger. :nod:

ZAR-FIT
02-12-2012, 11:19 AM

was it really necessary to pick apart my comment like that.... i obviously wasnt intending that "she" was losing any weight in the process...
Im not saying its a strict zero tolerance policy to have a drink, i would just never advise a night of drinking to help your recovery from a workout... If drinking is that important to you then enjoy your vodka tonics, and other drinks ...

Alex.V
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
was it really necessary to pick apart my comment like that.... i obviously wasnt intending that "she" was losing any weight in the process...
Im not saying its a strict zero tolerance policy to have a drink, i would just never advise a night of drinking to help your recovery from a workout... If drinking is that important to you then enjoy your vodka tonics, and other drinks ...

But that's exactly my point, man. Of course people probably wouldn't lose weight on that diet- I'm just saying that it's NOT absolute. You were being a bit black or white in your earlier responses, basically stating that if you drink, you don't give a shit about your body or goals.

Is alcohol the best training aid? Absolutely not. No way in hell. And boozing it up the evening after a hard workout is probably not the best for recovery. But is it going to undo all your hard work and put you back and square one? Nah. The body still tries to recover and adapt to the stress you've put it under at the gym- it's not going to stop doing what it's designed to do because you're taking in too much alcohol.

To each their own. I don't think anybody's really deserving of the label "idiot" in this thread, though.

Except me. I'm a damn idiot. Just ask any of my ex's.

joey54
02-12-2012, 02:12 PM

In college more than a few times we trained Saturday mornings after being up way into the early morning playing beer pong and the such. I didn't hit pr's per say, but had one of the best squat workouts following one of these. Then I slept the rest of the day until dinner and went back at it Saturday night.

Again, if you are doing this type of stuff much past your college age years on any regular basis, it may be time to re-evaluate your life.

ScottYard
02-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I benched 800 6 years ago. At the age of 23. Ill ignore the "evaluate my life part"

chevelle2291
02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I benched 800 6 years ago. At the age of 23. Ill ignore the "evaluate my life part"

That wasn't aimed at you Scott.

Alex.V
02-12-2012, 05:10 PM

All I got out of this..

You're almost 30. Damn.

joey54
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Like Chevy said Scott, that wasnt directed at you in any way. Just quoted your story to relate to mine and reiterate to others how I acted isn't in ones best interest for the long haul. Sorry for the confusion.

Invain
02-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Dude I used to lift with in school swore he and his brother would have some of their best workouts after getting tanked the night before.

My deduction: alcohol helps you lift weights.

f=ma
02-12-2012, 08:42 PM
i used to drink 16-20 beers 3-4 nights/wk in college and it definitely did nothing to help me.

Niko_El_Piko
02-12-2012, 08:44 PM
One really shouldn't drink like you are describing on any regular basis much past their college/early twenties, if that at all. I know Belial is a beer lover, but he would not be called a heavy drinker by any means. As the post above states, drinking in that fashion eventually leads to more pressing matters than how it affects one's training.

I work in the addiction field and while I personally see this as conservative figures, binge drinking is usually seen as having more than 2 alcoholic drinks(1 shot, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine; not a jack and coke where half the glass is whiskey) in a one hour period. Also having much more than 12 alcoholic drinks in a weekly basis could indicate abuse/dependence issues. Just things to think about.

I think thats too extreme, Joey. Is that a rule of thumb, or a precise fact?
I believe at least 60% of the people I know would fall into "abuse dependence issues", considering your numbers.
I only drink on weekends, and for sure I am close to 12 drinks counting Friday and Saturday nights (when I go out both nights).

Any way, I donīt thing heavy drinking goes allong well with lifting weights, but by no means one shit night will blow out your gains.

ScottYard
02-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Like Chevy said Scott, that wasnt directed at you in any way. Just quoted your story to relate to mine and reiterate to others how I acted isn't in ones best interest for the long haul. Sorry for the confusion.

Np. I wasn't sure lol. Thanks

joey54
02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
I think thats too extreme, Joey. Is that a rule of thumb, or a precise fact?
I believe at least 60% of the people I know would fall into "abuse dependence issues", considering your numbers.
I only drink on weekends, and for sure I am close to 12 drinks counting Friday and Saturday nights (when I go out both nights).

Any way, I donīt thing heavy drinking goes allong well with lifting weights, but by no means one shit night will blow out your gains.

Nothing is exact with this stuff hence my wording. If drinking is not causing problems with day to day life for a person, they may be ok. If it does, and even when one questions if it may, this may require some further reflection. I hardly have all the answers on this topic, just trying to bring my point of view.

RhodeHouse
02-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Nothing about alcohol is good for you. Other than the 3 becoming a 10. That being said, it won't kill you to drink. I'd do my best to stay away from the blackout drunk. More importnat than the detriment to your lifting is the detriment to your life.

Arnold used to drink after he trrained. Good enough for Arnold, good enough for me.

I used to drinka ton. Since I stopped being a drunken idiot, I have put more focus on lifting and had much better results. To me, there is a direct correlation.

But, I still tie one on every now and then.

Niko_El_Piko
02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Nothing is exact with this stuff hence my wording. If drinking is not causing problems with day to day life for a person, they may be ok. If it does, and even when one questions if it may, this may require some further reflection. I hardly have all the answers on this topic, just trying to bring my point of view.

Thanks for the reply Joey.
Anyway, for a 43 year old man and father of two, I am quite worried with the actual rate of alcohol consumption among teenagers nowadays.

joey54
02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Nothing about alcohol is good for you. Other than the 3 becoming a 10. That being said, it won't kill you to drink. I'd do my best to stay away from the blackout drunk. More importnat than the detriment to your lifting is the detriment to your life.

Arnold used to drink after he trrained. Good enough for Arnold, good enough for me.

I used to drinka ton. Since I stopped being a drunken idiot, I have put more focus on lifting and had much better results. To me, there is a direct correlation.

But, I still tie one on every now and then.

I believe with Arnold there were actually stories where he drank while lifting. Something about kegs and squats in the woods, squatting until the keg was finished. Bet that was fun.

RhodeHouse
02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I believe with Arnold there were actually stories where he drank while lifting. Something about kegs and squats in the woods, squatting until the keg was finished. Bet that was fun.

I'd never do it, but I'm sure being there was great. I played summer league lacrosse and had 1 beer at halftime. It was the worst thing I've ever felt. tired, heavy and useless on the field. Sport and drinking has never mixed at the same time for me.

Gimme some pain killers and we have a different story.

vikingsroad
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd never do it, but I'm sure being there was great. I played summer league lacrosse and had 1 beer at halftime. It was the worst thing I've ever felt. tired, heavy and useless on the field. Sport and drinking has never mixed at the same time for me.

Gimme some pain killers and we have a different story.

painkillers, ha! they slow everything down internally, and I think making response time significantly slower than that of marijuana. if you were tired on alchohol you'd fall asleep on painkillers, not to mention if you didnt have a full stomach, you'd get very sick and probably throw up acid.

I suggest PCP, it'll make you alert,strong and fast, whilst keeping the "painkilling" effect of prescription heroin.

Jonathan E
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
painkillers, ha! they slow everything down internally, and I think making response time significantly slower than that of marijuana. if you were tired on alchohol you'd fall asleep on painkillers, not to mention if you didnt have a full stomach, you'd get very sick and probably throw up acid.

I suggest PCP, it'll make you alert,strong and fast, whilst keeping the "painkilling" effect of prescription heroin.

Jesus

RhodeHouse
02-16-2012, 01:54 PM

No way??????????????????????? Pain killer slow down the body? i had no idea. You really shed some light on things for me. Without you, I'd never be as strong as I could be.

No shit pain killers slow you down. I was talking about taking them after training.