PDA

View Full Version : Started getting serious

White_lightning
06-03-2002, 10:18 AM
on may 20th, i started my new diet regime and workout.
here are my basic stats from that day.
height : 5'7"
weight: 293.5@30%bf

i hadnt lifted in a while and was eating like carp.
here is what i added to my diet.
tuna.. lots of it.. 2-3 6oz cans per day.
I also added boneless skinless chicken breasts, celery and carrots ( small meals basicaly)
i started doing cardio, basicaly just walking on the treadmill keeping my heart rate in the mid 150s as to get cardio vascular work as well as burning Fat.

this morning i got on the scale.
277,5lbs.
im stronger now then i was on the 20th. my strength and stamia is returning slowly but surely. With the tuna i am eating and chicken i am taking in more protein then i ever did in the past.
I had layed out certain goals for myself.
july 12th :275lbs
nov 22nd:245lbs
july 12th 03 :225-230lbs @10%

i am hoping that i will reach my goals Before these times. but i plan on gaining alot of my muscle back.
my previous best bench was 465 @245lbs body weight.. my current goal is 505lbs@250.

once i hit 275 i will take more pictures ( i have some pics at my 30% state.. but they are NOT pretty.. so im not posting anything till i have the new ones.

White_lightning
06-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Started taking Xenadrine today. 2 tabs, twice a day.

Drinking propel "fitness water" every cardio day right before cardio.
Still waiting for my betastatin WP to get shipped from betastatin labs.

White_lightning
06-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Monday - shoulders/triceps

Shoulders:
seated dumbell press : 4 sets (warmup + 3 work) 8-12 reps
Side laterals 3 sets 8-12
front raisers 3x8-12
I alternate the following Upright rows and reverse pecdecs

TRiceps:
Close grip bench 4 sets (warmup plsu 3 work) 8-12 reps
Skull crushers : 3x8-12
Dips 3 sets max reps
Reverse pulldowns: 3x12

Tuesday - back/biceps
back:
Behind the neck pulldowns : 3x8-12
Front pulldowns : 3x8-12
single handed hammer rows: 4x8-12

Biceps:
Standing alternate dumbel curls: 3x8-12
Standing alternate dumbel hammers: 3x8-12
2 arm cable crurls : 3x8-12
reverse cable curls:3x8-12

Wednesday- legs
legpress 3platesx20, 4px20, 5px16 , then i pyramid till failure
alternating leg extensions: 3x8-12 per leg
alternating hamstring curls 4x8-12 per leg
Donkey calf raisers: 4x12-16

Saturday - Chest
Bench press :2x warmup, 4-5 work sets 2x12-15; 3x8-12
Flat dumbel bench : 3x8-12
Incline dumbell press: 3x8-12
decline hammer strength press: 3x8-12
Alternate seated press machine drop sets and cable cross overs

I try to do 30 min of cardio AFTER every work out ( walking on the tread mill seems to work best for me right now)

Neil
06-05-2002, 11:57 AM
I remember seeing your pic a while back in training, you have some excellent size to work with. Are you taking all your lifts to failure? It looks like your volume is pretty high, especially for bi's and chest.

White_lightning
06-05-2002, 12:06 PM
right now, because i am training alone, i go as close to failure as i can on most Ex's. The ones where the weight isnt at risk of falling on me and killing me:) i go to failure. i find for me i get the best grown by doing serious over train. My body reacts well to it.

This was me at 285@27%. I stoped lifting and went to 293.5@29-30%.
i have some TERRIBLE looking pocs of me at 293.5@30%.. it really disgusted me at how bad the pics looked..as soon as i hit 275lbs i will post comparison pics of me in MONDO FAT ASS 293 trim vs jumbo fat ass 275lbs rtrim.

http://www.coserv.net/~vengence/bb/pose10.jpg

Rock
06-05-2002, 04:35 PM
man your hughe A mundo.

Rock
06-05-2002, 04:36 PM
erm huge!

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 02:16 AM
Thanks rock.. i have a LONG way to go still, but one step at a time

ChrisH
06-06-2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Rock
erm huge!
Agreed! :)

NateDogg
06-06-2002, 09:49 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 10:07 AM
cardio is doing good.. i am asthmatic, so i have to be carefull.
right now im doing 30 min of walking on the treadmill
i do 3.5-3.6 mph for 10 min, then a min of 3.0 mph, then 8 min of 3.5-3.6, then a min of 3.0, for the last 20 min i try to stick to 3.5-3.6 mph. I am more in the "cardio" zone per my heart rate, but i want to be able to get my CV system conditioned enough where i can move from the treadmill to the precor machine. I notice it now takes ALOT longer for me to get winded.. when i started doing cardio, after 5 min i would be winded ( 3 weeks ago) now it takes 12-15 min before i even start breathing heavily.
im going to train legs tonight and see how much cardio i can do after legs.. im thinking of droppin the MPH of my walking for leg days just to stretch them and get some good cardio in.
d.

Big Show
06-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Good luck on dropping that weight:thumbup:

Personally though I'm not looking forward to seeing your new pics
because....You'll make me feel like such a shrimp :p

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Big Show
Good luck on dropping that weight:thumbup:

Personally though I'm not looking forward to seeing your new pics
because....You'll make me feel like such a shrimp :p

naaa. you should let anyone make you feel bad.. when i was 245lbs i went to the ronnie coleman classic. i felt like a 12 year old kit staing next to flex and ronnie.. talk about feeling tiny:)
i have a picture of my training partner shaking hands with felx.
he had a 20" arm, and his arm looks SMALL compared to flex.
its all relative.. as long as you are doing everything you can.. thats what counts.

thanks for the kind words and the vote of confidence.

Relentless
06-06-2002, 10:32 AM
Hey man, good luck with the cutting.

if you can, try taking the Xenadrine with a mug of Green Tea.

The caffiene in the tea acts as an accelerant with the ephedra (IIRC)... at least green tea extract was in the Hydroxycut I used to take and I took my last cycle of Xena with tea.

My body temp was a little higher and i sweated like a pig in cardio, but it worked. Dropped some good weight on that shiznit.

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 10:37 AM
hmmm
i tried taking hydroxy cut. and ihad a weird reaction to it. I can take xenadrine with out any problems.. as soon as i take even 1 hydroxycut, i get a bad headache and feel nautious.. i thought it might be elivated blood pressure, but i went to the doc and he said my blood pressure was normal.
as of right now, i dont drink anything except water;)
im about to start drinking a little milk thoug.. as im planning to add a betastatin WP shake in a glass of milk into my diet as breakfast.
d.

Relentless
06-06-2002, 10:44 AM
weird. I think Hydroxy had Aspirin in there as well.. maybe an allergy to either that or the Green Tea extract. :/

Hydroxcut made me more hyper, and come down harder. I think Xenadrine is better because it seems to be a slower-release and it elevated my metabolism less but over a longer period.

Big Show
06-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by White_lightning

naaa. you should let anyone make you feel bad

Oh believe me I know.That crack about you making me feel like a shrimp is my way of sort of "breaking the ice" so to speak and the way I joke with big,thick guys.Hence the:p smilie

;)

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Big Show

Oh believe me I know.That crack about you making me feel like a shrimp is my way of sort of "breaking the ice" so to speak and the way I joke with big,thick guys.Hence the:p smilie

;)

yeah:) i figured that:) but i have a feeling that it would take alot more then me to make you feel like a shrimp:) maybe ronnie coleman:D

Feldmonster

Shark
06-06-2002, 06:51 PM
Hey bro, good luck with the diet... have any pictures of you at the Ronnie Coleman classic? I would love to see. Really though, Coleman and Flex are so juiced up its hard to even compare. Well, i take that back, flex isn't anymore, but you know he was. Anyway, you're goona look damn good once you're done cutting! Again, Good Luck!

White_lightning
06-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Well. .another step in the right direction. My big issue with working heavy on bench days is a spotter. MY previous training partner and i will be training chest/biceps together now. Which means no i can go back to doing every set to failure.. and really start pushingmyself on chest days. I have been kinda playing around recently because i didnt have a spotter. Now that i know i will have someone to spot, and motivate me, i can realy start pushingmuself.

White_lightning
06-12-2002, 10:15 AM
well im actualy commiting my diet to text. I have several differnt diet Days.
this is currently what im eating daily now.or rather my intake.
fat = 17g
carbs=41g
protein = 136g
caloris =1070
fat cals = 205

im planning on adding a Betastatin WP shake to the mix after work outs..
its
fat = 1.5g
sat fat = 1g
carbs = 23g
protein = 42 g
227 calories
14 from fat.

so i will be looking at a total od 1297 calories and 219 callories from fat. i call this my Tuna day.. as pretty much ALL my protein is from tuna.

now i need to sit and calculate what im going to get fomr my tuna/chicken days;)

so far on this, al lmy lifts are increasing. Im getting all the strength i lost after not lfiting for 2 years back. and im losing weight at a decent rate.

tudmuf2b
06-12-2002, 10:57 AM
with a daily intake of 40 or so grams of carbs, don't you feel kinda lightheaded during the day?

White_lightning
06-12-2002, 11:03 AM
nope.. actualy i feel amazing.. i dont drink anything except water.. no sodas, no coffee.

also, i cant eat junk food anymore. i tried having my favorite pizza last week. i ate one slice and felt like puking. i just couldnt handle the greesey taste.

Blood&Iron
06-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Have you tried dieting at a bit higher calories? You're running a huge calorie deficit. I think you should be able to lose weight fine at a much higher calorie intake, given your weight. I'd start at 3000kcal a day and see where that gets you, unless you've already tried that and found it didn't work. You might be surprised.

I'd be dying at that 1200kcal and you much bigger and stronger than me.

BTW, ignore me if I'm being an asshole. Just trying to be helpful, in my own annoying way.

White_lightning
06-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Blood and iron.. thanks for the info.. being an asshole? far from it. I am still learning about nutrition and dieting. I want to try this diet for another month and see how im doing. Since i havent lifted for about 1.5-2 years, im slowly getting my strength back. I am certain that if i just ate everything that i saw i would gain it back faster, but since im gaining back my muscle but burning off fat, it will take a bit longer.

just as a side note. On average my cardio sessions burn off 250-300 calories after doing weights, 400-500 on a day i dont lift and just do cardio.
how would these burn off calories affect the grand scheem of things?

as of this morning im 273lbs.

Blood&Iron
06-12-2002, 11:40 AM

just as a side note. On average my cardio sessions burn off 250-300 calories after doing weights, 400-500 on a day i dont lift and just do cardio.
how would these burn off calories affect the grand scheem of things?

as of this morning im 273lbs.
Well, I'm generally of the calories in v. calories out school of things. So, you'd just sorta figure your cardio into your caloric deficit. A rough figure that generally seems to work for maintenance calories is 15 x bodyweight, so for you that'd be ~4,000kcal. If you were eating 3,500kcal a day, and lifting and doing cardio, you'd be running somewhere in the vicinity of 750-1000kcal a day deficit. A pound of fat is 3,500kcal, so you'd lose maybe 2-2.5lbs per week. Of course, these figures are pretty rough. Some people have to eat a good deal less to lose fat. At your bodyfat, you're probably safe losing at that rate(THough, I wouldn't shoot for much quicker lose as it's gonna end up being muscle.) As an aside, it's completely possible to be increasing in strength while losing muscle; I've done it myself, so strength gains can be a deceptive way of making sure you're keeping your lean mass.

Generally, I'd say the sort of calorie deficit you're running is gonna end up being self-defeating. When you run such a severe calorie restriction, your body goes into starvation mode, your thyroid and testosterone levels plummet, and your body will prefentially burn muscle rather than fat because it's much more metabolically expensive. After a certain point, I suspect you'll find it near impossible to lose weight. So, again I'd switch to something a bit more moderate. Having seen your pictures, I don't really think you have a huge amount of fat to lose anyway. There's an awful lot of muscle you've got. If you do things right, you'll have a freakin' jaw-dropping physique.

White_lightning
06-12-2002, 11:56 AM
I am definalty not losing muscle.. while i am losing fat, and can visibly see the reduction, i can also see muscular growth. i am constantly taking measurements to see where i am losing and how much i am losing. you have to keep in mind, that at 136g of proteing intake, that is ALOT moree then i was taking in during my off time, and im working on uppoing that too. also the strength increases i am seeying would not be possible if i was infact losing muscle.. for example.. i came back after not lifting for pretty much 1.5-2 years.
week 1: bench press.. 225lbs was HARD.. i could barely hit 12 rpes per set.
week 2... i hit 315 for 6 and 5 and then had to drop.
week 3, i hit 315 for 10 clean, then to with a minor sport and 1 negative.. 2nd and 3rd set i hit 8 and 8.
im just using bench as an example here as im seeing similar 'muscle memory" type gains.
i feel that if i keep going like i am, even though i am gaining muscle back slower then if iw as going all out for bulk, i am still gaining muscle.

that pic i was at 25% bf, on may 20th i was 293.5@28/29&, so i have quite abit of fat to lose before it start becoming hard. Also, i dont plan on doing this for ever. I am looking at a 1-3 month run like i am doing, and then see where i am. maybe take a month off the diet or swtich it up for a month and see where it goes.

im looking at the foods i want to eat, and the amount of food i would have to eat to break 3000 calories seems insane,
what do you think?

thalapathi
06-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Good work WL. I was about the same weight you started and am about 4'' taller than you, I do not carry probably even half the muscle you seem to carry on your pic.

I just started taking an EC stack and noticed it has just killed my appetite, and probably the reason you are able to survive on such low calories. I am currently about 255lbs and my maint. cals are around 2300 up from 1800 before I started dieting and working out about 8 months ago. You might want to add a little more calories though I think 3000 might be a little too much. I would suggest you experiement adding back about 300 calories/day and check your weight every week to figure out the rate loss you are comfortable with. At about 2300cals I average a loss of 1-1.5lbs/week.
I would concurr with B&I that such low calories are self-defeating. It was for me, as after sometime(3 months after I started dieting) I didnt lose any weight and was hungry and miserable.

Also increase your protein to atleast 1g/lbm as I have read again and again that protein is more important, during dieting.

Good luck.

White_lightning
06-12-2002, 01:41 PM
i think i mentioned i started taking Xenadrine a few days ago, and i am pretty much akingmyself eat every 3 hours.. if i dont.. i get REALLY hungry..

as for my protein intake, i am planning to inrease it.. just taking one betastatin shake per day will up it to almost 180g vs the 136ish im getting now.
i know thats still less then my LBM, but its better. I am used to eating 1-2 meals per day ( talk about no nutrional value crap) so its tough to get into the routing of eating all the time. I am going to try supliment my meals with bars and things like that.

d.

Relentless
06-12-2002, 02:16 PM

im looking at the foods i want to eat, and the amount of food i would have to eat to break 3000 calories seems insane,
what do you think?

I'm not near the nutrition expert that some others are, but I can tell you I was eating ~3000-3200 cals a day and losing weight for a couple of months. I'm 6'1" and ~215 now, was about 240 at Xmas.

Despite losing weight, I increased LBM and put inches on chest/arms/legs. I was also on Xenadrine at the time.

Anyway, I think the best thing you can do is simply to record and observe your consumption and corresponding measurements, then adjust on an ongoing basis from there. If you maintain bodyweight at 3000 calories at a given activity level, then that's what works for YOU. You may only need to drop down a couple hundred cals/day to see fat loss without major muscle loss. I also think that creatine may help to slow/partially prevent muscle loss when reducing cals and cutting...

IMHO, paying attention to how your body reacts, testing it in a controlled manner and incrementally adjusting diet and activity to suit what your body is telling you is better than shooting for some artificial number of calories based on a calculation.

FWIW,
Callahan

P.S. Did I read correctly that you're doing cardio right after doing weights? Some folks I've talked to think it's a nono -- it may prevent muscle recovery adn proper growth. Myself, I do cardio on nonlifting days...

White_lightning
06-12-2002, 02:30 PM
yes.. i do cardio after lifting, and i find it works better for me. so far i have seen no loss in muscle recovery.. you also need to factor in that i do Extreme overtraining of my muscle and then rest for a full week. so they have plentey of time to recover.

White_lightning
06-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Weighed in at 271lbs EVEN this morning, thats aobut to change though. I wont be able to train between today and monday, and no way to diet( will be out of town) i figure i will be back up to 275 by monday.. oh well. just more reason to do cardio and diet:)

White_lightning
06-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Taking a break from cardio this week to let my body recover abit.
I started raising the weights im using again.
My main shoulder mass movement is seated dumbell press so i bumped it up to 95# x12,12 and 10.
im hoping to get back up to teh 120s soon.. i feel kinda girly doing the 95s...

between thrusday morning of last week, and monday morning, i was out of town, so i couldnt diet, lift, or do cardio. Got on the scale this morning.. 272. So only 1 lbs gain after a bad bad couple of days.

White_lightning
06-20-2002, 01:11 PM
June 20th.
one month after i started my new regime.
weighted in at 270.5 this morning.

White_lightning
06-23-2002, 07:33 PM
started upping my Quantity and intensity yesterday with chest/biceps.. time to move up to 4 sets of 4 EX's.. also, this week is the first time im going to be hitting legs hard on wednesday. I hope they dont hurt to bad to do cardio.
Betastatin WP has arrived. I hope my nitro-tech bars arrive this week.

MatrixG
07-11-2002, 06:29 PM
I hope my nitro-tech bars arrive this week.

Well I think you've kept us waiting long enough, did your nitro bars arrive or not? The suspense has been killing me :D

Where are ya white, how's your progress?

White_lightning
08-25-2002, 08:22 PM
LOL. sorry.. yeah they arrived. i had to take a month off gym/dieting owing to getting married and being on a honeymoon.. monday i start training again. Nitrotech bar in hand.. and Betastatin shakes ready:)

White_lightning
05-16-2003, 12:03 PM
well. the month off turned into.. 9 months.. now im back on the boat.. SERIOUS this time.. im taking it easier month 1 and 2.. no heroics.. but im SLOWLY getting it back..
im 293@30% still..
about to hit end of week 4.
slowly getting my strength back. but still FAR from where i was...
im not bothering with diet and cardio till mid/end month 2.. so that i can first get back into the swing of lifting before i startdieting and cardio.

White_lightning
05-21-2003, 11:02 AM
well slowly getting my strength back.
back to repping 315 on the bench.. but not like i used to.. hitting 9/6/5 reps..
back up to 100lbs dumbells on incline dumbell press and shoulder press.

havnet worked legs yet.. Hurt my foot in a non gym related issue and cant legpress.. SOON hopefully.

i figure another week or 2 i can hit legs.. add cardio and diet into the mix.