PDA

View Full Version : Are resistance bands beneficial to everybody

K Y L E
02-12-2012, 12:09 AM
I've been strength training for a little over a year and a half now and I've developed some muscle, not a lot. I was just wondering at what point do you think I should invest in bands? My max bench now is probably somewhere around the 230-240 range, so do you think I would benefit from like, a pair of monster minibands for bench?

Also a side question: Would you be more likely to use a titan ram or slingshot or similar product on a max effort day or a rep day?

JK1
02-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Question 1) In my opinion, no, get stronger first unless you only weigh 115 lbs. If that is the case, eat more too. Eat alot more.

Question 2) maybe, but it depends on how you use it.

Travis Bell
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't use either the slingshot or the ram so I don't have much to offer there.

As far as the bands, I teach a lot of high school athletes how to use them when they are at about the same bench you are, sometimes even a little less. It just can't be the entirety of your program. They should be used as a variety. Not as a staple. Mini bands would be ideal. Monster minis would be too much right now.

RFabsik
02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Kyle--regarding the slingshot have you checked out Mark Bell's other site http://supertraining.tv/

He talks about ways they use the Slingshot. Seems they'll mix it in for dynamic work or max effort work.

jtteg_x
02-12-2012, 03:49 PM
If you have access to the bands already, why not. There's no set in stone way to get stronger. Mini bands open a variety of exercises. The reactive slingshot would be ideal for beginner lifters. Google it in and you'll find many videos of mark bell's use of the slingshot. I always use them for my heavier raw warm-ups before putting on a shirt

Hank
02-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I have some light bands and a few average bands for screwing around at the house or at the office, ie, when I can't make gym time. I like minis/micro-minis for pull aparts, short average for band good mornings with a heavy dowel, etc.