PDA

View Full Version : charging people a fee to spectate at meets?

jtteg_x
02-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Is this common practice at your local, national or world level meet? Looking back into my meet in October 2011 (USPA Push-Pull, Carmichael, CA), people who weren’t lifting that day were charged a $10 fee to participate as “spectators”. That included that my handler who was helping me with my bench shirt and spotting. USPA didn’t collect nothing back in my June 2011 meet. So I’m assuming this was based on the building manager/owner’s discretion and out of the federations hands?

Stonecutter
02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
The first and only meet that I've been to was one my friend was in. So I was a spectator, and it was also $10. It was USAPL.

BloodandThunder
02-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Meet director discretion. Aside from paying for the venue, upfront costs like T-shirts, paying for judge's and spotters food, and securing equipment like platform wood, it is costly to run a meet. Often they put that money into buying new plates, bars, warm up racks, etc.

MarcusWild
02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
If a meet director has to rent a venue, then it makes sense.

SELK
02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
meet director can charge if they like, nobody is forcing anyone to attend. I always figured most meet directors are making none or very little money from a meet and it takes a ton of work to put one on, so I will just pay what they ask.

chris mason
02-12-2012, 10:29 PM
meet director can charge if they like, nobody is forcing anyone to attend. I always figured most meet directors are making none or very little money from a meet and it takes a ton of work to put one on, so I will just pay what they ask.

What you said.

vikingsroad
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
why wouldn't they charge you to watch.

JSully
02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I've been to several meets as a spectator and I pay $5-10 typically. I agree with SELK & BloodandThunder

drew
02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Yup usually $5-10.

ThomasG
02-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Yup usually $5-10.

This.

ScottYard
02-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I ran two meets last year. I did not charge spectators. I made a total profit of 40 dollars for both meets after around 1000 in expenses. I wish I had charged 2-3 dollars per person. I may have made a 100 lol

RhodeHouse
02-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Every meet i've been to has been 5-10 at the door. Even me, Matt Rhodes, has to pay. Crazy!

Jim Wendler actually told a great story about Lou Simmons. At a meet the guy at the door wasn't going to charge Lou. Lou insisted on paying like everyone else there.

If a guy wants to put on a meet, I think he should absolutely make a profit. The promotor etc... are taking time out of their lives to promote a sport that makes no money for anyone,really.

jtteg_x
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I wish powerlifting had more exposure to make it become a decent money making sport. Poker is shown on ESPN on a regular basis!

ThomasG
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I wish powerlifting had more exposure to make it become a decent money making sport. Poker is shown on ESPN on a regular basis!

Give poker 567845 different federations and X-Ray vision then see how popular it becomes...

theBarzeen
02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Every meet i've been to has been 5-10 at the door. Even me, Matt Rhodes, has to pay. Crazy!

Jim Wendler actually told a great story about Lou Simmons. At a meet the guy at the door wasn't going to charge Lou. Lou insisted on paying like everyone else there.

If a guy wants to put on a meet, I think he should absolutely make a profit. The promotor etc... are taking time out of their lives to promote a sport that makes no money for anyone,really.

I agree that meet directors should make a profit.... smaller, local meets around here are usually free, but the bigger meets are usually $5 or so at the door......

I won't name the meet or the meet director because I'm not trying to start anything here.... but I went to a meet last year where the meet director was charging admission at the door and he even charged Ed Coan ( who was handling a lifter) and Ernie Frantz...

That, I don't agree with.

RhodeHouse
02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Give poker 567845 different federations and X-Ray vision then see how popular it becomes...

It has absolutely nothing to do with the federations. It has everything to do with the impotent crybabies and lifters who don't take the initiative that Poker took. Kieren Kidder may have screwed the WPO out of the Arnold, but he took the initiative. Same thing Gene Rychlak and Danny Dague have done with getting multi-ply lifting back in the Arnold. If someone went out with a plan I'm sure we could get powerlifting on TV.

patos
02-15-2012, 01:33 AM
I agree that meet directors should make a profit.... smaller, local meets around here are usually free, but the bigger meets are usually $5 or so at the door......

I won't name the meet or the meet director because I'm not trying to start anything here.... but I went to a meet last year where the meet director was charging admission at the door and he even charged Ed Coan ( who was handling a lifter) and Ernie Frantz...

My grandfather had a baseball stadium named after him of his living, he always paid full price for admission and anything he bought there, and that's how it should be.

Dank27
02-15-2012, 05:35 AM
I dont think jts crazy to charge admission either. I think however that each lifter should be allowed two handlers with them free of admission (covered in entry fee)

ehubbard
02-15-2012, 08:04 AM

My guess is Scott Taylor....

ehubbard
02-15-2012, 08:05 AM
It has absolutely nothing to do with the federations. It has everything to do with the impotent crybabies and lifters who don't take the initiative that Poker took. Kieren Kidder may have screwed the WPO out of the Arnold, but he took the initiative. Same thing Gene Rychlak and Danny Dague have done with getting multi-ply lifting back in the Arnold. If someone went out with a plan I'm sure we could get powerlifting on TV.

This^^^^

Also, realize who you are arguing with here...

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?134829-AAPF-Drug-Testing-Question&highlight=AAPF

FearFactory
02-15-2012, 08:49 AM
I did my first meet a month ago and saw first hand just how crazy it is to organize/run that thing properly. I am all for them charging 5-10$ for spectators. They deserve it.

Oh and :lurk:

RhodeHouse
02-16-2012, 02:49 PM
This^^^^

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?134829-AAPF-Drug-Testing-Question&highlight=AAPF

Holy Christ, Hubbs. It's like agruing with a woman on her period.

Rob Luyando
02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Barzeen I pay when AI go to meets to handle people so why shouldn't Ed Coan or Ernie Frantz? We all pee standing up don't we? Unless the meet director gives a coaches pass to every handler then why shouldn't the great ones pay?

Niko_El_Piko
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

I agree.

ThomasG
02-16-2012, 10:27 PM
This^^^^

lol what argument?
How about you read the thread before you post bullshit.
You mad I compete APF not AAPF?

You guys are whats wrong with all the bitching in this sport. Picking fights and bitching about nothing. How about you just lift instead of comparing fellow lifters to women on their periods? Good god....

Grow up.

theBarzeen
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Barzeen I pay when AI go to meets to handle people so why shouldn't Ed Coan or Ernie Frantz? We all pee standing up don't we? Unless the meet director gives a coaches pass to every handler then why shouldn't the great ones pay?

Maybe I'm just too new to this to have a good perspective as most of the meets I've done have been APF meets, but I've always seen those two guys let in free out of respect.

Talking with the meet director, the door guy even charged the meet directors mother.... so it's not like he was making exceptions for anyone, it was fair across the board.... So, maybe it's only in my little APF world that's the normal thing to do, I had just never seen those guys charged before.

ehubbard
02-17-2012, 09:04 AM
lol what argument?

You guys are whats wrong with all the bitching in this sport. Picking fights and bitching about nothing. How about you just lift instead of comparing fellow lifters to women on their periods? Good god....

Grow up.

You compete (or competed) AAPF, that is the problem I have. Am I wrong in that statement? You're a strong SOB, I respect that believe me. I have a friend who uses the same argument you do in the thread and I break his balls all the time about it. If you want to compete tested due it in the IPF like the Russians.

I was also trying to get Rhodes going. It's been too long since his last rant :)

ThomasG
02-17-2012, 11:56 AM
You compete (or competed) AAPF, that is the problem I have. Am I wrong in that statement? You're a strong SOB, I respect that believe me. I have a friend who uses the same argument you do in the thread and I break his balls all the time about it. If you want to compete tested due it in the IPF like the Russians.

I was also trying to get Rhodes going. It's been too long since his last rant :)

I Compete APF....

ehubbard
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I Compete APF....

That is present tense.

RhodeHouse
02-17-2012, 01:02 PM
lol what argument?

Grow up.

You're a jackleg.

mike95763
02-17-2012, 01:41 PM
This^^^^

It's pretty lame to bring this up as an example of who Thomas is. That post was years ago and he was asking peoples opinions about where he stood with his medical condition. He ended up competing APF like he said he would in the post, I was at the competition and I know. If you disagree with what he said in this post thats fine, but it's no reason to get personal and try to start something.

ehubbard
02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Maybe it is lame. Maybe it isn't. All I know is Google is a pretty powerful tool.

mike95763
02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
It is lame, and like I said he competed in APF (apparently AAPF too, but there was no one else in 82.5 kg junior AAPF so he wasn't hurting anyone. Maybe he wanted an extra medal). Either way its pretty lame to go totally off topic on a thread just to try to tear someone else down in a completely irrelivent way.

ehubbard
02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
It is lame, and like I said he competed in APF (apparently AAPF too, but there was no one else in 82.5 kg junior AAPF so he wasn't hurting anyone. Maybe he wanted an extra medal). Either way its pretty lame to go totally off topic on a thread just to try to tear someone else down in a completely irrelivent way.

Exactly.

How am I "tearing him down"?

ThomasG
02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Dude what the fuck is your problem? I compete APF. Do you want my registration sheet or something god damn... Thanks for reminding me why I rarely leave the journal section....

joey54
02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Was wondering why this topic got to two pages and checked it out. Wished I hadn't. Play nice fellas.

FearFactory
02-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Exactly.

How am I "tearing him down"?

This^^^^

????????????????????????????????

RhodeHouse
02-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Dude what the fuck is your problem? I compete APF. Do you want my registration sheet or something god damn... Thanks for reminding me why I rarely leave the journal section....

I was going to leave this alone, but I can't now. I know why Hubbs posted that old thread. I agree with him. It doesn't matter where you competed or anything because I don't really care. What I got from that thread is that you have a fucked up view of the whole situation.

You have naturally low test, which sucks, but you're on HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY - which IS ANABOLIC ANDROGENIC STEROIDS. Testosterone in any form is AAS. You can't argue that. It's like arguing the world is flat. You are on AAS. Your dose may be a therapuetic dose, but it is STEROIDS.

You trying to argue it wasn't is ridiculous.

That's why hubbs posted that for me to see.

This is way off topic, but I see his point and couldn't agree with him more.

ehubbard
02-20-2012, 08:40 AM

No need to drop f bombs. My problem is with people who compete tested when they shouldn't. That is all. Like I said, you are a very strong promising young lifter. I took issue with that thread and I needed to vent about it. I apologize if I called you out. I'm done with the topic.

The other issue I have is when people talk about powerlifting and say well the problem is too many feds, gear, standards, etc.. Maybe so, but if it is than do something positive about it. I assume your comment about xray vision is related to gear. Do we really need to go down that road?

larsen540
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
yea 5 to 10 is the normal

ThomasG
02-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Apparently you two can't read. I compete APF. Strong bastardizing the thread with irrelevant issues. I never said I had a problem with gear, I utilize it myself. You guys are looking for a bitching contest and I'm not taking part of it. I'm done with this thread...

drew
02-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Apparently you two can't read. I compete APF. Strong bastardizing the thread with irrelevant issues. I never said I had a problem with gear, I utilize it myself. You guys are looking for a bitching contest and I'm not taking part of it. I'm done with this thread...

The problem isn't with where you compete. The problem is you were looking for someone, anyone, to give you an excuse to compete in a tested division knowing full well that, even if you could pass a test, you would be cheating. I don't care what your motive is, or what you ended up doing, the facts are right there.

I compete in the tested divisions. I don't use, and never have used, any kind of steroids, hormones, or any other PEDs. I KNOW there are guys (and girls) out there who are competing in the same divisions I am and are on HRT or are just straight up taking steroids and/or GH. It's pretty much the lowest form of cheating that this sport has. So I'm glad you ultimately did the right thing but it doesn't change your initial attitude of "It's not fair" that you have to compete APF against guys that are leaking pure test out of their back boils. Unfortunately, that will always come back at you.

RhodeHouse
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Kids like you are why I believe in abortion.

mike95763
02-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Kids like you are why I believe in abortion.

This is a general observation, not just from this thread -- you're a jerk.

joey54
02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
And that's enough of this one.