PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting With A Neutral Back

Murderous
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
I used to deadlift with my back fully arched as tight as possible. I have read that it is bad to overarch, but without overarching I don't obtain that same feeling of tightness. How much do you have to arch, only enough to have a very slight curvature in the lower back and thoracic spine? When I used to overarch my back deadlifting it gave me the assurance of making it impossible to deadlift with a rounded lower back which made me think it was safer.

RhodeHouse
02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Lift weights not books. You're overthinking this way too much. enjoy the fact that you have flexibility, for now.

Murderous
02-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Which means... I should continue to arch my back fully?

theBarzeen
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
It means to keep tight and just pull. Hunching over is bad, but overarching will take weight off of your pull. That, and if you are that focussed on form you won't be able to focus on the lift. Practice form 1000 times with light weight, then when the bar is loaded up just pop some ammonia and unleash the dogs of war, form will come naturally.

chris mason
02-14-2012, 06:37 PM
The nutshell is that you don't want your lumbar spine to go beyond "flat" to a concave position lest you leave yourself open to major injury. You also don't want to pull with a hard arch. The goal is to lock it into a safe position which "flat" constitutes assuming you understand flat correctly.

RhodeHouse
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Grab the bar and pull it. It's really taht simple, dude. Arch the shit out of your back. It's not nearly as arched as you think it is. Pull on the bar until you're standing up. That's the deadlift in a nutshell.

Murderous
02-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Grab the bar and pull it. It's really taht simple, dude. Arch the shit out of your back. It's not nearly as arched as you think it is. Pull on the bar until you're standing up. That's the deadlift in a nutshell.This is the way I was deadlifting, just wanted to make sure my intervebral discs aren't being compromised in any way. Thanks guys, helpful as always, chris you should charge new members for joining the powerlifting section of the forum. :bow:

RhodeHouse
02-16-2012, 01:51 PM
This is the way I was deadlifting, just wanted to make sure my intervebral discs aren't being compromised in any way. Thanks guys, helpful as always, chris you should charge new members for joining the powerlifting section of the forum. :bow:

All of the powerlifts will put your back n a compromised position. There's nothing at all safe about it. Part of the risks of being stronga re that you'll probably get hurt in your career. If you don't, you're probably not training very ahrd or heavy. It's going to happen regardless of how good your form is.

You overanalyze shit too much, based on what I've read of your posts.

Niko_El_Piko
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree with Rhodes here.
But the basic thing is also what Barzeen said: Make "1000 DL" with submaximal weights until you can automatically make a good lift. If you overthink too much on the form you f*ck up your lift!