PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Thing Regarding Protein Bars

JasonLift
02-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Yesterday I was working and wanted to grab something quick to eat before my heavy bench press training. I usually try to take something with me but in a pinch I will fall back on a protein bar. I usually opt for the Detour Peanut Carmel protein bar, on the bar it slightly resembles a snickers and if I close my eyes and ignore the taste I can pretend it is. Yesterday when I stopped at the gas station all of the ones they had out were smashed so I made a judgment call and bought a supreme protein peanut butter crunch.

I remember when I first bought a supreme protein bar, I thought it was the best tasting protein bar I had ever had. Seriously I have no idea why but after a couple years they now taste downright awful. Almost every new protein bar that I try and ends up tasting slightly good ends up being awful after being on the market for awhile. I am not sure if stores just don't rotate their stocks well or what but the bar I had yesterday was pretty close to being inedible.

After choking it down I looked over the label. I usually cringe when I do because it seems like they throw all kinds of weird things in those bars. Just going off the calories and nutrient breakdown what I basically found was that the bar had 390 calories, 170 of those calories come from fat. 18 Grams of fat with 9 grams of saturated fat, 26 grams of carbs, 10 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber, and 30 grams of protein.

I wanted something to compare it to so I decided to look up the nutrition of a McDonald. I was surprised to find that it had 390 calories 170 calories from fat. 19 grams of fat, 8 grams of saturated fat, 33 grams of carbs, 7 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber, and 22 grams of protein.

Almost identical. You can argue that the protein bar had a better source of protein and the carbs might be of a better source but honestly is it that much of a difference. The protein bar costs 3 dollars and the McDouble is a dollar and tastes a million times better. I guess the one plus side from the protein bar is that is tasted so awful there was no chance I would have a second one where as with the McDouble I would be tempted to have three of them.

One thing I forgot is that the McDonald had about triple the sodium content of the protein bar.

JacobH
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah they have good sources of protein in the Supreme bars, I think whey and casein. Also I think Supremes taste pretty damn good. I would prefer one over a McDouble anyday...however you could get 2 and a half McD's for the cost of one Supreme bar....

joey54
02-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Next time opt for a novus bar.

ThomasG
02-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Next time opt for a novus bar.

They don't sell those anymore, unfortunately.

krazylarry
02-18-2012, 05:48 PM
The beauty of the protein is that when I'm stuck at work at the bar, I can keep one in my back pocket and it in the middle of my shift. A good snack makes the night suck just a little less.

joey54
02-18-2012, 07:22 PM

They were delicious.

PatoriaN
02-18-2012, 08:53 PM
lol sure it was a healthy sports bar? I regularly buy natural nut bars for a snack, not pre or post workout and they have far better stats that that (obviously not the protein count).

I would actually count those bars you mentioned in the unhealthy category....o.0 9 grams of sat fat? lol rightio.

Why not buy a 95gram can of tuna and have a banana?

JasonLift
02-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah not really looking for advice on what to eat. I was just intrigued by how similar their stats were.

2kool
02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
The beauty of the protein is that when I'm stuck at work at the bar, I can keep one in my back pocket and it in the middle of my shift.

and you cant do that with a mcdouble? =P

Niko_El_Piko
02-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Make your own protein bars. They are SO EASY to make and much healthier, since you choose your ingredients. Google a recipe.

f=ma
02-25-2012, 09:01 AM

indeed it is a tragic situation

although one must question if sugar alcohols are any better than "real" carbs regardless of net carb impact. dunno.

chevelle2291
02-25-2012, 12:05 PM
indeed it is a tragic situation

although one must question if sugar alcohols are any better than "real" carbs regardless of net carb impact. dunno.

da fuk does net carb impact even mean? I always counted them like regular carbs anyways.

f=ma
02-25-2012, 12:31 PM
da fuk does net carb impact even mean? I always counted them like regular carbs anyways.

yeah they count.. its about blood sugar impact though i think

JasonLift
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah I wonder the same thing about sugar alcohols.

Regarding making your own protein bars, yeah I could see how that is relevant. I am at work and forgot to take something from home and want something to eat on the go before training so going to the store and buying ingredients and then making a small fire in the store parking lot and baking the ingredients seems like the best option.--- Edit--- all in good jest.