PDA

View Full Version : Pure protein diet?

Behemoth
06-04-2002, 10:39 AM
By no means am I going to go and eat 100% of my calories from protein, nor anywhere close. But I was simply curious to how your body would react to all protein?

Fudomyo
06-04-2002, 11:08 AM
Of the "three food groups" carbs, protein, and fat, you can only eat one and not die. Protein.

From protein you can make glucose, and hence fat.

These days you'd be missing out on some EFA's and minerals, but you were made to eat protein.

It's surely the most non-economical way to do it, but have at it.

WannaBeStrong
06-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Lies.

A lot of people have died from an all protein diet. Your brain can run off of 2 things, glucose and ketones. Absence of both results in death.

If you recall all of the deaths from the "Atkin's" diet, it was because people didn't consume any fat and assumed they'd lose more weight. They did, in fact, but it was because you can't eat when you're in a coffin.

Please, don't do this. PLEASE.

EMan
06-04-2002, 01:05 PM
You can eat lots of protein and lots of good fats. I've been on a high prot/med fat/low carb diet for two months and fat just melts off. As long as you do refeed days and go high on protein and gets lots of green you should be fine

Bullrider Billy
06-04-2002, 01:45 PM
The problem is the urea that would build up from a pure protein diet. We don't have the ability to eliminate that much. It would poison you.

Fudomyo
06-04-2002, 02:07 PM
So where's the medical study that shows this?

Recently, a comprehensive study completed by Jacques Poortmans and Oliver Dellalieux (published in Int. J. Sport Nutr. & Exerc. Metab. 11;28-35:2001) at the University of Brussels in Belgium investigated this aspect directly.

The scientists responsible for this research concluded that high protein intakes of 170 to 243% of the RDA show no toxicity, dehydration, calcium loss or impairment of kidney function.

Behemoth
06-04-2002, 02:16 PM

Clearly you didn't read my starting post, I am by no means going to do this or even consider it. I was more trying to get a handle on what protein does in your body and how it reacts under certain conditions.

Tiare
06-04-2002, 02:25 PM
One of the other problems is that you would not obtain any of your fat soluable vitamins. These nutrients must be taken with fats or oils and cannot be reproduced like water soluable nutrients.

The only compound that can be completely eliminated from a diet is carbohydrates and that one is tough enough. You will get sick and eventually die if you eliminate protein or fat.

Behemoth
06-04-2002, 04:17 PM
You'll get sick if you go on a all carb and protein, 0 fat diet? That doesn't sound right, anyone else confirm?

nejar462
06-04-2002, 04:26 PM
there's fat in everything, i doubt its even possible.

Fudomyo
06-04-2002, 05:14 PM
I think your thread got off track....lol

I eat close to 2 g's per lb. That's dieting, I probably eat more normally. Plenty of vitamins, CLA, and Essential Fatty Acids. Probably 60% protein, 20% carbs, and 20% fat.

After months of this, I am still gaining muscle, losing fat, and I feel great. To boot, everyone is telling me I look great. So you can eat a ton of protein and my experience is that you won't fall over and die anytime soon.

Hope that helps, ttbb.

:D

Saint Patrick
06-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Fudomyo
I think your thread got off track....lol

I eat close to 2 g's per lb. That's dieting, I probably eat more normally. Plenty of vitamins, CLA, and Essential Fatty Acids. Probably 60% protein, 20% carbs, and 20% fat.

After months of this, I am still gaining muscle, losing fat, and I feel great. To boot, everyone is telling me I look great. So you can eat a ton of protein and my experience is that you won't fall over and die anytime soon.

Hope that helps, ttbb.

:D

Hey man, that's great. That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Losing fat & gaining muscle at the same time without cutting or bulking. Could you post your workout routine and supplements you're taking?

Fudomyo
06-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Mmmmm, suah.

Workout: I am in the lift heavy camp. Lift heavy all the time. I take a week off every 2 months or so. I try for a total of 10 heavy sets, which is 4-6 reps until failure. Don't forget to warm up (I wont list that).

Traps - 3 x db, 3 x bb, 3 x machine

Chest / shoulders / tris - 2 x Military Press, 2 x db press, 2 x incline, 1 weighted dips. 1 set french db presses.

Back (lats) / Biceps - 20 pullups. I do the first set unweighted, and then however many sets weighted till I hit 20. (I warmup on the pullover nat machine, and do some reverse curls too). 2 x low rows. 1 x pull down. I also do kneeling high cable diagonal pulls, which works the teres major. 1 set of db bicep curls.

Rest a day

Calves / Abs
3 x Seated calf raises, 3 x Leg Press Calf Raises
4 x weighted abs (pick whichever 2 machines)

Legs
2 x squats, 2 x legpress, 1 x forward bb lunges, 2 x SLDL's (Romanian)

Rest a day.

I do the 4 day, 3 day split in hopes of keeping my metabolism in high gear.

Supplements. Hmmm, feels like I take everything.
Here's today's diet (and I am dieting).

ECA's 3x per day

Meal 1:
1 slice multi-grain toast, butter, jam.
2 scoops VP2 (Hydrolyzed Whey Protein)
3-5g of Glutamine

Meal 2: (1hr or so before I workout)
MRP, mine's 1.5g fat, 22g carbs, 40g protein.
2g CLA
2g EFA's

Post Workout
40g's Dextrose
5g Creatine
40g VP2
15g Glutamine
200mg ALA
1 Anti-oxidant mix

Meal 3: (1hr later)
MRP as above
1 scoop VP2
2g CLA
2g EFAs

Meal 4:
Chicken Breast
Peas, carrots, lima's, etc mix w/ Olive Oil and some salsa (damn good and takes like 3 minutes)
3-5g Glutamine

Meal 5:
MRP just before bed
2g CLA
2g EFAs
5g GABA

I don't count the CLA/EFA in my calorie totals.
This was 1717.7 calories.
15.6g fat
169.9g carbs
220.3 protein

~52% protein
~40% carbs
~8% fat

I shoot for under 2000 at the moment. 2,200 stopped working. Anyway this varies from 1600 and change to 1900 and change depending on where I eat etc. The wife drags me out sometimes ;-)

I'm 32, had a fast metabolism till 28ish, 6' tall, and 185 lbs, and 18% bf (hopefully less).

Hope that helps....
Fudo

Saint Patrick
06-06-2002, 01:02 AM
That help a lot man, thanks.
BTW, what's ALA,CLA, and GABA stand for??

Fudomyo
06-06-2002, 10:14 AM
Alpha-lipoic acid is a potent and effective "universal" antioxidant. It quenches free radicals in virtually all tissues in the body. ALA also exhibits insulin-like effects allowing greater nutrient uptake into muscle tissue.

GABA, Gamma Aminobutyric Acid, is an amino acid classified as a neurotransmitter. Studies Show A 550% Increase In Growth Hormone Levels With Just 5 Grams Of GABA!

CLA - Conjugated Linoleic Acid Noone knows how, but it helps increase lean mass, even without exercise.

Saint Patrick
06-06-2002, 01:47 PM
PM sent.

Paul Stagg
06-06-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by WannaBeStrong
Lies.

A lot of people have died from an all protein diet. Your brain can run off of 2 things, glucose and ketones. Absence of both results in death.

If you recall all of the deaths from the "Atkin's" diet, it was because people didn't consume any fat and assumed they'd lose more weight. They did, in fact, but it was because you can't eat when you're in a coffin.

This could win a prize at the most ignorant post ever on WBB. No offence intended, but you really don't know what you are talking about.

Protein can be converted to glucose in the liver via gluconeogenesis. Unless you stop eating completely, you'll never run out of glucose or ketones.

I'm not aware of a single death from the Atkins diet. Could you point me to a couple?

I would not suggest a protein only diet as it would be lacking in EFAs.

djr5901
06-06-2002, 02:40 PM
ive read that too much protein is hard on your kidneys. protein is complex and requires extra work from the body to break it down. Stick to protein take within 1-1.5g per pound of body weight.

Best,
Dave

Saint Patrick
06-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by djr5901
ive read that too much protein is hard on your kidneys. protein is complex and requires extra work from the body to break it down. Stick to protein take within 1-1.5g per pound of body weight.

Best,
Dave

I Read somewhere that Elvis is still alive on Mars.......:D

WannaBeStrong
06-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Paul Stagg

This could win a prize at the most ignorant post ever on WBB. No offence intended, but you really don't know what you are talking about.

Protein can be converted to glucose in the liver via gluconeogenesis. Unless you stop eating completely, you'll never run out of glucose or ketones.

I'm not aware of a single death from the Atkins diet. Could you point me to a couple?

I would not suggest a protein only diet as it would be lacking in EFAs.

Boy, you're a big asshole who definitely thinks he knows more than he does. No "offence"[sic] of course.

1. All protein diets can create glucose, never denied that. There will however be an absence of acceptable levels of both ketones and glucose.
2. On a diet the point is to restrict calories, therefore you are getting far less calories than normal. If your body needs these calories for all of its activities necessary to sustain life, then how well is it going to run on a calorie deficient diet with a less than efficient glucose creation process?

Why don't you try an all protein diet and let us know if you live?

Furthermore, I have 2 names and references in my old email from a low carb list. I'll be happy to provide them once I can get through them. This was a big factor in the news for a long time when Atkins came out. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it never happened.

Like I've said before. I have never kayaked, but it doesn't mean there's no such thing.

Saint Patrick
06-06-2002, 08:16 PM

Boy, you're a big asshole who definitely thinks he knows more than he does. No "offence"[sic] of course.

Ooooh.... them's fightin words......

Like I've said before. I have never kayaked, but it doesn't mean there's no such thing.

Kayaking Rules! Great gardio and arm workout :p

Paul Stagg
06-07-2002, 07:46 AM

1. All protein diets can create glucose, never denied that. There will however be an absence of acceptable levels of both ketones and glucose.
2. On a diet the point is to restrict calories, therefore you are getting far less calories than normal. If your body needs these calories for all of its activities necessary to sustain life, then how well is it going to run on a calorie deficient diet with a less than efficient glucose creation process?

Why don't you try an all protein diet and let us know if you live?

Furthermore, I have 2 names and references in my old email from a low carb list. I'll be happy to provide them once I can get through them. This was a big factor in the news for a long time when Atkins came out. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it never happened.

I would tread a little more carefully if I were you.

#1 is simply incorrect. Ketones can be produced from stored fat, and gluconeogenesis can easily produce enough glucose to keep the brain going assuming sufficent calories - If you are eating, you'll live. If you look at keto diets, one of the things that can keep you out of ketosis is too much protein. Why? Because it gets converted to glucose.

#2 is meaningless since #1 is wrong.

If you read my post, you'll see that I wouldn't suggest an all protein diet due to the lack of EFAs.

Not one death can be linked to the Adkins diet.

hemants
06-10-2002, 03:04 PM
A zero carb diet is a fantasy.

Your body will convert dietary protein to carbs.

So no matter how you look at it, you are consuming carbs either directly or indirectly.

However, getting your glucose from protein is not generally healthy because you will be lacking in fibre, vitamins, anitioxidants etc.