PDA

View Full Version : Post two weigh in food picks?

ScottYard
02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
What do people eat after a two hour weigh in. Any thoughts.

kingns
02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
im no expert but id think low fat to allow easier digestion, complex carbs and whatever protein you easily digest. Id aim for really easy digestion so you can get a lot of energy back in your system without feeling sluggish. Its hard enough for me to eat the morning before I meet, I could imagine trying to replenish 2 hrs before.

burt128
02-19-2012, 07:42 AM
I typically have some gatorade, chicken soup and then a full meal focusing on carbs.

UncleAl
02-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I have the same dilemma, Scott. I'm used to 24 hour weighins but have a two hour (or less) one on Saturday. Will be dropping three to five lbs in the last twelve hours. Hate not eating breakfast and am afraid of getting the squirts if I chow down and drink too much just before warmups. Unless the guys come up with something better, I plan to drink 32 oz pedialite and eat a bagel with pb&j as soon as I get off the scale, then sip 16 to 32 oz G2 with creatine and eat a protein bar in between warmups.

ScottYard
02-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I have the same dilemma, Scott. I'm used to 24 hour weighins but have a two hour (or less) one on Saturday. Will be dropping three to five lbs in the last twelve hours. Hate not eating breakfast and am afraid of getting the squirts if I chow down and drink too much just before warmups. Unless the guys come up with something better, I plan to drink 32 oz pedialite and eat a bagel with pb&j as soon as I get off the scale, then sip 16 to 32 oz G2 with creatine and eat a protein bar in between warmups.

Post how it goes. Ill ne curious.

JK1
02-19-2012, 09:20 PM
im no expert but id think low fat to allow easier digestion, complex carbs and whatever protein you easily digest. Id aim for really easy digestion so you can get a lot of energy back in your system without feeling sluggish. Its hard enough for me to eat the morning before I meet, I could imagine trying to replenish 2 hrs before.

This is where many people just screw things up. They go on this sugar food gorge that leads to blood sugar yoyoing and then they do like crap in the meet. Basically for short weighins, I think the approach should be similar to how the boxers did it when I was in college. I'm quoting the post above because I agree with what you posted, but I want to expand on it a bit:

The first thing a person has to do is take in fluids. This means drink, drink, and drink more. You are not going to be beyond about 4% dehydrated at the most with a 2 hour weigh in, but even then, if you are a sweatter like I am, you will drop weight throughout the day. You need to get yourself fully replenished before you get anywhere near the warmup room. Now at the same time, be careful that you don't overhydrate and produce overly dilute urine which would be counter productive. If your urine is clear, back off on the fluids. If it is dark yellow, drink more.

Second, get in a moderately good sized meal of easily digetable complex carbs (ie rice or pasta or something comparable) moderate protein and low to moderate fat. Depending on when your flight is, I'd plan on eating every 2 hours or so through the day. I would try to make myself eat and drink even if I really was not that hungry at least through the morning. This is something that is going to vary depending on the individual a bit.

Supplement potassium as you are taking in fluids. This will help stabilize electrolyte balance (most americans are potassium deficient) and it will help prevent cramping.

I WOULD NOT take in extra salt at this point. it isn't going to help anything and may hurt in the long run.

ScottYard
02-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Does dextrose have a role in the meet day? I sally take results after I squat. Any thoughts?

BloodandThunder
02-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Does dextrose have a role in the meet day? I sally take results after I squat. Any thoughts?

Yes to a certain extent. JK is right about the fluids portion. It's king when you're doing a 2 hour weighin. You may not be weighing in until 20 minutes into weighins, then you have to rehydrate, eat, and then begin warming up so you have like less than an hour to digest before warming up. Hydration is key.

I'd have plenty of water, some half-diluted gatorade, and any easily digestible snacks. If you don't eat it normally or it won't sit well, don't eat it. Water should be first, followed by the half-diluted gatorade. Bananas for some potassium, then some PB/honey/whole wheat sandwichs and some powerbars and pretzels seem to be popular with alot of the lifters I've overlooked. They all cut some serious water and return back and hit numbers they should be hitting without a drop in performance from dehydration. Keep the candy bars for warming up during DL if you must.

This is why it's key to getting in calories the day before the meet when you have 2 hour weighins. If you're not eating, you're not going to be able to stomach much after weighing in. Unsalted nuts,oils, and dry, low sodium meats pretty much give you plenty of calories without adding to much weight.

ScottYard
02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
So no dextrose?

BloodandThunder
02-20-2012, 02:07 PM
So no dextrose?

I'd get 16-20 oz. of water before drinking it at the minimum. Then, I'd try to dilute it a bit. What are your experiences with it on meet day with 2 hour weighins after a cut?

But remember, you typically drink it beforehand, but on a normal training day, you're hydrated and have had a few meals before training. Here, you just have a little water in your dehydrated system. 50g of dextrose might upset your stomach or it might make you crash if you haven't eaten. Your body will be like a sponge in this state.

So perhaps Chris is best to answer this question, but this is just based on what I see with lifters at 2 hour weighins. In my personal experience cutting serious water for a 2 hour weighin, I typically drink my creatine/salt/water/half gatorade mix while I'm eating and as I'm warming up. I know I'd have trouble downing something so sugary after a week of low carbing and low sodium, but it's mostly based on personal preference really. Again, I work alot with lifters in a 2 hour timeframe, so this is just an observation. I see the same problems with lifters eating candy bars, grapes, and other high fructose fruits early in the meet. They get very sleepy by deadlifts.

You're lifting raw, so you don't have to worry about gear fitting tight. It's going to be the Arnold, so things will be a bit crazy. Focus on those fluids and getting some good calories that will sit well in your stomach and you'll do great.

UncleAl
02-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Post how it goes. Ill ne curious.

Hey, Scott, the plan worked well. Felt very strong. Only miss was my last bench attempt, and I set a deadlift PR. Hope you did even better.

ScottYard
02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey, Scott, the plan worked well. Felt very strong. Only miss was my last bench attempt, and I set a deadlift PR. Hope you did even better.

Glad to hear.