PDA

View Full Version : fast food

noahfor123
06-04-2002, 02:07 PM
what is the deal with fast food burgers or chicken sandwiches, right now i am bulking and it would be really convienent to be able to eat these. I would just eat them plain. I dont feel the need to eat them, but it is just more convientent than cooking a stake or fish, since i can't cook and im 18.

Fudomyo
06-04-2002, 02:11 PM
They are served on a highly processed wheat bun, which means it has a high glycemic index. Also has lots of nice sugar sauces on it. Lots of saturated fat in the bugers too.

Fried are fatty and high GI.

It's just easy to add fat with them is all.

djr5901
06-04-2002, 02:37 PM
I would suggest buying a grilled chicken salad, and an extra grilled chicken sandwich. Throw away the bun and put the chicken breast on your salad. I used to do this when i worked at Wendy's. Youll get a shitload of protein, without the processed flour from the bun. Also, ditch the croutons (usually processed) and the cheese (usually high in saturated fat).

Dave

noahfor123
06-04-2002, 05:57 PM
what if I just eat the beef patties, without the bun or any sauce. Im talking about Wendy's by the way.

walken1
06-04-2002, 10:08 PM
I was once an assistant manager there.....trust me, you don't want to eat any of that crap!

djr5901
06-05-2002, 05:31 PM
I wouldnt chow down too many beef patties, because low grade ground beef (the kind used in most fast food chains) is really high in saturated fat. Its fine to go to the grocery store and pick up some ground sirloin, which has less fat, and is a better grade of meat. But if you have to eat at one of these fast food shitholes, stick to grilled chicken.

Best,
Dave

noahfor123
06-05-2002, 06:17 PM
yea i used to work at dunkin donuts and ill never touch another one of them, even if i didnt care about my body

Tiare
06-05-2002, 11:46 PM
QP burger only (no bun etc): 234 cal, 18g fat, 7g sat fat, 18g protein

Fries, large: 540cal, 26g fat, 4.5g sat fat, 68g carb, 8g pro

Definitely wouldn't say it's good for you and there are some seriously quality alternatives. I've started to eat Maverick Ranch beef (add a raw egg white and 1/8th cup of plain bread crumbs to a pound of naturally lean ground chuck just to make it stick together better).

Maverick ranch QP: 130cal, 4g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 24g protein.

Unless you are looking for a ketonic diet, I would avoid fast foods. Even if you are doing ketosis, there are better alternatives.

thegeneral
06-06-2002, 04:18 PM
What do you guys think about something like Popcorn Chicken from KFC? You know, the kufk? :p

I too am always on the go and I get REAL pissed when I realize it's been 3 1/2 hours since I've eaten last. :mad:

By the way, I'm gaining. But I am definately trying to stay away from any unnecessary fats. :)

djr5901
06-06-2002, 06:04 PM
I hope youre joking about the popcorn chicken, that horsemeat is deep fried, and prob loaded with saturated fat. If your stuck to KFC, go with the honey mustard grilled chicken sandwich w/o the honey mustard.

Best,
Dave

noahfor123
06-06-2002, 08:27 PM
how do you separate the yolk from the white

ions
06-06-2002, 08:32 PM
I once heard a doctor say you're better to eat two Big Macs then have any KFC. He was exagerating a bit to make a point but the point was well taken by me. I do not eat KFC under any circumstances.

If you've got to eat Fast Food why not Subway? The Roasted Chicken is very high in protein, they have a tuna salad that's decent but a little high in fat, and other healthy options.

djr5901
06-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Amen to that brother

thegeneral
06-06-2002, 11:46 PM
Damn, I guess the conversion from Kentucky Fried Chicken to just KFC worked on me. I kinda forgot how BAD that stuff is. Thanks for reminding me. I don't know what I was thinking! :)

Vido
06-07-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by noahfor123
how do you separate the yolk from the white

You're joking right?

Shao-LiN
06-07-2002, 12:25 AM
To extrapolate the yolk from the white, you must buy a yolk separator. What it does is it sucks the yolk right out of the shell, so that when you crack it...there is only white left. Joking btw.

But the easier way is to crack the egg and dump the white into a bowl and not dump the yolk in with it. The concept is hard to understand, but you might get used to it.

Anyway, cooking meat isn't hard. Baking is easiest, really. Put the meat on a piece of foil or pan and then pump the temp. up to like 350 degrees and let it sit for 10 minutes on each side. Or you can grill it on a stovetop grill...or even easier, george foreman grill...not really rocket science.

I'm on the go as well...best to prepare your stuff the day before or the morning of.

Clark
06-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Just crack the egg so that there are two (relatively) equal size shell halves. Then just keep switching the yolk from half to half. Have a bowl underneath to collect the white. It might take a couple tries, but not hard once you get the hang of it.

Leviathan
06-07-2002, 10:07 AM
Or you could just crack the egg and dump the whole thing in a bowl and scoop the yolks out.

jcybex
06-07-2002, 10:46 AM
what's your opinion of boston market in terms of health/nutrition?

mickeys
06-12-2002, 05:32 PM
theres tons of saturated fat, tons of carbs which are all high GI, tons of cholestrol, and tons of other ****

mickeys
06-12-2002, 05:33 PM
and boston market is great.. make sure you peal the skin off the chicken...

i get a half chicken breast with mashed patatoes usually.. its damn good

joey54
06-12-2002, 06:44 PM
guys come on. hard boil your eggs and then the yolk just pops out of the damn white.

Tiare
06-12-2002, 08:58 PM
The reason I add egg white to the maverick beef is because it's low enough fat that it falls apart on the grill sometimes. I just crack the egg open and then put my fingers in front of the yolk and dump the white out into a bowl. Wash you hands first :D

Subway is decent as far as fast foods go. I had one of the new McDonalds flatbread chicken wraps (no cheese, no sauce) and it wasn't TOO loaded with fat and oil. I'd say only 40% calories from fat. I can't believe all the fast food places pour so much dang oil on everything. And such low quality oil to boot!

noahfor123
06-12-2002, 09:08 PM
yea i wasnt joking i just have never cooked eggs or tried to separate the white from the yolk, i guess i thought it was harder than it really is, or that there was some kind of special technique. i thought it would be like separating water from oil.

Chris Rodgers
06-12-2002, 09:16 PM
I'll be bulking in exactly 3 days.

Double whoppers will be eaten by the truck load....I guarantee. If you are 18 and not obese or near it, live a little. Eat what you want and if you start to become a fatass, then eliminate some the crap.

Jane
06-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by LATMAN
Double whoppers will be eaten by the truck load....I guarantee. If you are 18 and not obese or near it, live a little. Eat what you want and if you start to become a fatass, then eliminate some the crap.
Bah, guys have it so much easier.

You get test flowing all over the place, creating a favorable environment for muscular development and high metabolic rates, shielding against the accumulation of body fat.

Women get...estrogen.

The fat hormone. :)

Chris Rodgers
06-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Bah...go eat a dozen hotdogs ya freak you. ;)

Jane
06-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Ah...but I've perfected the art of living off hot dogs and staying under 1500 kcal.

Wait.

I am a freak. Doh!

nate allan
06-13-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by LATMAN
I'll be bulking in exactly 3 days.

:withstupi

mmmm. double whoppers... I just ate two whopper singles and a half gallon of Ice cream, I love my See Food Diet:D

tudmuf2b
06-13-2002, 08:28 AM
They have been very effective in their ads for that guy with the glasses that lost a few hundred lbs (forgot his name). Every now and then I get a 6 inch turkey breast with mustard and honey oat or whole wheat bread....

do you folks eat there?

heathj
06-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Fast food is disgusting. Not something I would exactly call 'healthy'. I puke from it. The most I've eaten is a few french fries in the past year or more. Almost threw up...Obviously it can't be too good for my body if I can puke from it. :)

nate allan
06-13-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by heathj
Fast food is disgusting. Not something I would exactly call 'healthy'. I puke from it. The most I've eaten is a few french fries in the past year or more. Almost threw up...Obviously it can't be too good for my body if I can puke from it. :)

The Only time I puke is when I Drink to much Tequila, or mix sweet liquer with beer.

Jane
06-13-2002, 10:30 AM
Subway is fine, imo. Just keep it simple--whole wheat bread if they have it, sliced turkey or roast beef, mustard, veggies. Better to avoid the mayo and cheese if you're cutting. I don't think subway is all that "fast foody" since basically they are just putting a sandwich together for you, the same one you could technically make at home.

Blood&Iron
06-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Jane
Subway is fine, imo. Just keep it simple--whole wheat bread if they have it, sliced turkey or roast beef, mustard, veggies. Better to avoid the mayo and cheese if you're cutting.
Agreed. And depending on your diet, you might be fine having the mayo and cheese. For example, I use an isocaloric diet and I want a fair amount of fat in my meals.

Blood&Iron
06-13-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Jane

Bah, guys have it so much easier.

You get test flowing all over the place, creating a favorable environment for muscular development and high metabolic rates, shielding against the accumulation of body fat.

Women get...estrogen.

The fat hormone. :)

Dunno if you've already read this, but you might find this intresting.

excerpt from Lyle McDonald's report on Bromocriptine
To your body, dieting is fundamentally identical to starvation, it differs only in extremity. In both cases, you're eating less than your body needs and, in both cases, your body adapts pretty much the same. That is, your body doesn't 'know' that you're only dieting for 8 weeks to look good in a bathing suit. If only 'knows' that you're eating less, and adapts accordingly. You'll find out how it 'knows' in the next chapter. While I'm on the topic, a little more bad news for female readers. We've known for years that women have a harder time losing and keeping off weight, no matter what they do. In addition to having a lower metabolic rate overall, women's bodies generally adapt faster and harder to caloric restriction or exercise than men's bodies do (6). To put it in the above terms, their bodies appear to defend against weight loss even moreso than men's do. Oh yeah, they also don't burn off excess calories as well with overfeeding (4). As my friend Elzi Volk says "When it comes to fat loss, women are screwed."

Again, this makes evolutionary sense. Since women were ultimately responsible for the survival of the human race (since they give birth to and take care of the children), the ones who could stay alive the longest during the winter famine were the ones who passed on their genes (7). This is the reason that women have a much harder time losing fat (and keeping it off) than men. The exact mechanisms by which women's bodies are able to do this are still under study. Figuring out what is the problem with women and fat loss and fixing it is one of my next projects. For now, just accept that it sucks to be female if you want to lose fat. You can do it, but it's harder.

There's a bit more at:
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/bromocriptine.htm

To get the whole thing you gotta pay, though, which I'm really tempted to do.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-13-2002, 11:52 AM
B&I, i was also tempted, until i discovered that you can't save it or anything like that. It's just logging in and reading. I don;t want to spend 20 notes on that when i can't re-read it for reference further on down the line.

I'm still very interested in it though. I've been reading M.F.W. more often recently and read that there's about 5 pages on Bromocriptine and the rest is just generally cool info to know (and have, if i could save it :rolleyes:)

Do you have MSN messenger?

Chris Rodgers
06-13-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by heathj

It's funny how without even trying I am still leaner than you. :p Double whoppers=ace!! I'll be eating one in about a little over 50 hours or so. That will be my post-meet meal. :D

Jane
06-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Dunno if you've already read this, but you might find this intresting.

There's a bit more at:
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/bromocriptine.htm

To get the whole thing you gotta pay, though, which I'm really tempted to do.

lmao at that quote from Elzi Volk. Wow, that really sucks. I've always liked challenges but....damn.

Actually I've already read the bromocriptine article, but thanks for the good info, as always. :)