PDA

View Full Version : Actual BF%?

walken1
06-04-2002, 10:20 PM
I know alot of guys throw in their BF% with their profiles and posts but how do they determine this? I guess this is more or less a poll to see how everybody gets their numbers. I have always heard the underwater method is the most accurate, but I know of few people who have access to this equipment. Then there's the ever popular electronic scale that sends a low electric pulse through your feet....people say these things are way off. Then there's the moron military method of using neck and waist measurement.....again, not very accurate. Then, there's calipers of all descriptions. I got one of those Bill Phillips gadgets (calipers) that tells you to pinch the skin just above the right hip bone on the muscle tissue there. Then you use the chart to translate your age and measurement to a BF%. It says I'm 5.5%. My BF is always low but its not that low right now. In the summer I get alot more cut than this. My point is, who has much fat at the place they're telling you to pinch? Anyway, how do you guess your own?

WannaBeStrong
06-05-2002, 10:25 AM
I use calipers. Get a better formula than Bill Phillips'.

Blood&Iron
06-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by walken1
I got one of those Bill Phillips gadgets (calipers) that tells you to pinch the skin just above the right hip bone on the muscle tissue there. Then you use the chart to translate your age and measurement to a BF%. It says I'm 5.5%. My BF is always low but its not that low right now. In the summer I get alot more cut than this. My point is, who has much fat at the place they're telling you to pinch? Anyway, how do you guess your own?
A caliper test takes a bit of experience to get right. Most people, due to inexperience, come up with measurements that are way off. The first time I had my bodyfat tested, I came out at 9.8% bf; I was probably 17%. The guy who did the test was incompetent. Anyways, as long as the measurements you take are self-consistent, then they can still be used as a gauge of progress. They are just not terribly meaningful in an absolute sense. Really, though, I don't see that a single bodyfat test is good for anything--other than bragging rights.

thalapathi
06-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by walken1
Anyway, how do you guess your own?

I use tape measure to keep track of progress, and I am pretty consistent with my measurment. As I am more interested in the trend itself than the actual values for right now, I dont worry too much if isn't accurate.

Mik
06-05-2002, 12:25 PM
I agree with Blood & Iron. I just got calipers myself not too long ago. I realize I am probably off due to inexperience but as long as the trend is going the right way I don't sweat the absolute numbers.

MRJ
06-05-2002, 12:35 PM
Use a tape measure, the fit of your original clothing, the mirror and input from people whose opinion you trust.

If the relationship between your fat storage areas to your other lean measurmements is decreasing you are headed in the correct direction.

Best thing = before/after photographs, you'll be amazed.