PDA

View Full Version : A box squat PR for me

chris mason
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Was at Westside this weekend for Circa-Max training. I am not competing (my training partner is) so I just used briefs. Got a PR with 490 lbs bar weight and 375 lbs band tension.

bYJB61MzFG4&feature=youtu.be

NickAus
02-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Congrats, big squatting!!

mastermonster
02-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Congrats Chris!

April Mathis
02-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Looked too easy...add another plate per side or something.

What kind of band was on each side to get 375lbs. band tension? Just curious as I have only seen one band big enough ever that might come close to that band tension. It looks like one on each side but maybe I am mistaken.

chris mason
02-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Looked too easy...add another plate per side or something.

What kind of band was on each side to get 375lbs. band tension? Just curious as I have only seen one band big enough ever that might come close to that band tension. It looks like one on each side but maybe I am mistaken.

It's hard to tell in the video, but it is two bands (blue and green). They have them run around the base of the monolift with a 2x6 or something which is taped to the base to widen it. Louie has measured the band tension on that mono and that is where the # comes from.

Lol, I know it looks easy when I watch it too, but it felt like death! The bands tend to do that because they speed up the eccentric and thus the concentric.

ScottYard
02-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Nice Chris. I think a meet should be in your future.

JSully
02-19-2012, 09:38 PM
big time.. you've gotten balls ass strong since last time we trained together, lol

Zac Whalen
02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Good stuff man. Add a suit and you should be close to 1000. I agree with Scott, you need to compete!

April Mathis
02-20-2012, 08:44 PM
It's hard to tell in the video, but it is two bands (blue and green). They have them run around the base of the monolift with a 2x6 or something which is taped to the base to widen it. Louie has measured the band tension on that mono and that is where the # comes from.

Lol, I know it looks easy when I watch it too, but it felt like death! The bands tend to do that because they speed up the eccentric and thus the concentric.

Ok. My squats never look any faster with or without bands, lol. Actually they pretty much always look easy, but never fast. May look like more of a difference due to wearing briefs though. I could understand a bigger difference in speed going down with gear on while using the bands.

chris mason
02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
big time.. you've gotten balls ass strong since last time we trained together, lol

Yeah, about 40 lbs helps :).

Niko_El_Piko
02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Great Box sq Chris!

Jonathan E
02-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Nice. Question: While doing these, do you want to aim for only a brief touch of the box like you did? When I do it, I notice I literally sit for a second, therefor taking some weight of my legs, before I push it up again.

JSully
02-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah, about 40 lbs helps :).

fuck..... what's my excuse then?

*sigh*

lol

SEOINAGE
02-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Nice. Question: While doing these, do you want to aim for only a brief touch of the box like you did? When I do it, I notice I literally sit for a second, therefor taking some weight of my legs, before I push it up again.

Do what he did, it was a very brief pause. You can damage your spine spending too much time on the box because rather than keeping the weight supported through your legs it is all sitting on your spine on the box, its risky and you lose tightness.

chris mason
02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
You're not going to damage your spine with box squats unless you are a moron and literally drop onto the box.

When guys are doing a max effort with very large loads the pause tends to be very brief. Pausing for a certain count is not necessary, but ideally you want to make sure you do pause to break the eccentric/concentric chain.

Chris

Jonathan E
02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
You're not going to damage your spine with box squats unless you are a moron and literally drop onto the box.

When guys are doing a max effort with very large loads the pause tends to be very brief. Pausing for a certain count is not necessary, but ideally you want to make sure you do pause to break the eccentric/concentric chain.

Chris

I see. Thanks Chris

J Stottlemire
02-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Great work, would love to see you on the platform and with that huge deadlift you would be lethal!

joey54
02-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Pretty sure if Chris wouldnt be doing the lift right Louie Simmons, who is right there would, correct him as such. Great squatting Chris.

Jonathan E
02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Pretty sure if Chris wouldnt be doing the lift right Louie Simmons, who is right there would, correct him as such. Great squatting Chris.

I think you misunderstood my statement my friend. When I said " do you want too aim for only a brief touch.." I was asking a question to correct MY form. I know Chris was doing them right, so I was curious if my technique of pausing for a tad longer had any benefits/issues/etc.

joey54
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I would observe how Chris does them in this video under the guidance of the top strength coach in the country and attempt to mimic what he does for sure.

Jonathan E
02-23-2012, 08:44 PM
I would observe how Chris does them in this video under the guidance of the top strength coach in the country and attempt to mimic what he does for sure.

Thank you. Your advice is appreciated.

chris mason
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM

Except use a wider stance and stay more upright :). Trust me, I catch crap for my squatting up there, but less than I used to :).

joey54
02-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Sure it has made you a better lifter Chris. Keep up the great process and really interested to see you hit a big total in the future. How close are to the 800 DL?

chris mason
02-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Sure it has made you a better lifter Chris. Keep up the great process and really interested to see you hit a big total in the future. How close are to the 800 DL?

I haven't done much heavy pulling as of late. I have to figure a way to get my grip up. I can probably pull 800 now with a few heavy sessions, but it would be with straps. I can only hold 730-740.

Jonathan E
02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Mixed grip?

JSully
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I have to figure a way to get my grip up.

do like this guy from :31 to :37

http://youtu.be/cA8s17YIbSY

RFabsik
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Great lift.
Wish I had the problem of getting my hands around 800lbs and being stuck at 740.
You've helped tons of people, I'm sure you'll figure a way to get there.

chris mason
02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
do like this guy from :31 to :37

http://youtu.be/cA8s17YIbSY

I will have a coach exhort me in Russian :).

thecityalive
02-23-2012, 11:16 PM
"Fuck that shit" is right. haha. Looks like you are gaining some mass, Chris. Solid work.