PDA

View Full Version : How Often Should You Take Time Off From Working Out.. Opinions?

MonStar
06-04-2002, 11:12 PM
I am curious what you guys think about this.

Its called "strategic deconditioning" by many who follow and support HST. But basically all it really is is time off from working out. To allow the body to recover etc.

Anyway how often do you guys think this should happen? Never? Every 4-5 weeks? 7-8 weeks? Longer?

MS

PowerManDL
06-04-2002, 11:27 PM
Well, as I've been pointing out for the past year or so, I think deload weeks every fourth week or so are good, be it time of from training or just reducing volume. And I've been practicing it in my lifting for about as long.

the doc
06-04-2002, 11:43 PM
i think it depends

if you workout frequently with few days of rest per week then you will need weeks off more often for adequate recovery

right now i have just incresed time in between sessions (working a bodypart every 10 days) and have been progressing for some time now without weeks off.

Leviathan
06-05-2002, 11:05 AM
I'm sticking to Max-OT principles now, so that's 1 week off every 8 weeks.

MonStar
06-05-2002, 11:06 AM
Nice opinions guys.

I was thinking about it and I am probably going to end up taking about a week off of lifting every 6 weeks or so. See how my body handles that. :):)

MS

Goin_Big
06-05-2002, 11:13 AM
I usually take a week off every 4-6 months, and it's usually just because of joint pain when I do.

millertime
06-05-2002, 11:16 AM
After 8 weeks a take a week off.

Otter
06-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Only when you need it ... I'm a firm believer that you don't ever need to completely stop. You can drop the weight and do a couple reps nowhere near failure, you can switch routines, you can do lots of things without having to completely take time off. Just my opinion, but I don't take time off unless I'm on vacation or injured and it hasn't hampered my training.

Listen to your body ... I think having a set off week is a bad idea ... what if you're just hitting your stride at week 8 and week 9 is supposed to be your break week ... I could never stop just because I scheduled a break week. Just my .02.

MarshallPenn
06-05-2002, 12:24 PM
Well said Otter.

Assassinator
06-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Every 5 weeks I take 5 days off.

nate allan
06-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
Well, as I've been pointing out for the past year or so, I think deload weeks every fourth week or so are good, be it time of from training or just reducing volume. And I've been practicing it in my lifting for about as long.

except I wait till my gains stop, then deload. If I am injured or sick, I still perform some active recovery, no complete stops for me.

Accipiter
06-05-2002, 05:06 PM
what I do usually is wait till my gains slow a bit, I feel dragging, and I've got a lot going on in my life, then I take a week off to sort everything out, and come back fresh.

PowerManDL
06-05-2002, 05:14 PM
The way I do things every 4th week is about perfect. :D

Chris Rodgers
06-05-2002, 07:45 PM
I would prefer to do a deload week of lighter weightsan take a fulll week off. I will however not do any heavy lifting the week of a meet.

MRJ
06-06-2002, 11:39 AM
2-Week break:

About every 8 - 10 weeks depending upon how I feel, but never past 10 weeks, regardless. During this two-week break I do intense cardio, but no resistance-type activities.

Upon returning I utilize a further 2-week ramp-up period before starting the actual cycle.

I start at 20% less than my prior cycle max. Second week back 10% and by the beginning of the 3rd week when the cycle actually begins . . . I'm doing the previous cycles max. weights but the high end of the rep. count (9) the previous cycles rep. count.

Paul Stagg
06-06-2002, 11:59 AM
I take tim eoff *as needed*.

I like Otter's and Accipiters posts. I don't schedule time off unless it is that I won't be able to train (travel is the big one)... but sometimes you just have a lot going on, and it's a good time for a break.

It refreshes me, gets me motivated.. and, it's nice to take a week and not worry about training or diet, and just enjoy yourself.

I usually end up with time off about every 6-10 weeks. More during the summer, and more when I'm really busy at work.

Holto
06-06-2002, 12:34 PM
I think if you wait until gains slow then you waited too long.

I do agree with continuing to train when gains are great even if you planned a week off.:D

CBates
06-06-2002, 12:54 PM
I don't feel like this is any set time to take time off, just listen to your body. I've been lifting for a year and a half before taking a time off due to a little shoulder injury I received recently, other than that, I've been making great gains in size and strength both without taking any time off.

Vido
06-06-2002, 01:45 PM
I think if your rest days are planned appropriately in your training cycle then time off isn't really necessary. I mean if you're sick or go on vacation that's a different story, but otherwise just listen to your body.