PDA

View Full Version : Honey: good or bad?

djr5901
06-05-2002, 06:50 PM
I recently started on this "natural" food plan where i try to shy away from processed foods. I like my food sweet, and i am looking for ways to avoid processed sugars and artifical sweetners. Currently, I am using honey to flavor my oatmeal in the morning, and also using it to flavor my tea. Does anyone know if honey is processed in any way?

Intrigued,
Dave

KRayZieDoGG
06-06-2002, 01:24 AM
make sure it's "100% natural" and it should be just like it says, some of the cheaper brands might not be completely natural

Sebi
06-06-2002, 01:25 AM
honey is good.

ericg
06-06-2002, 07:07 AM
what effect does honey have on blood sugar? Im sure it kicks it up there?

djr5901
06-06-2002, 08:44 PM
Im not sure what honey does to your blood sugar, but i wonder if its any different than what processed sugars do. I think i read somewhere that honey breaks down slower than other processed sugars, but correct me if im wrong.

Best,
Dave

Clark
06-06-2002, 10:52 PM
i believe you're right there. I too have read that honey breaks down much slower, and therefore would not spike the insulin level as normal sugars would

Jane
06-06-2002, 11:14 PM
What's wrong with splenda? :)

WannaBeStrong
06-11-2002, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Jane
What's wrong with splenda? :)

I've read that short-term, Sucralose messes with the "indicator" that is used to test blood-sugar levels. This leads to misdiagnosis and mistreatment of diabetes patients. There have been no long term studies, so further potential complications have not been discovered. I am afraid of all artificial sweeteners now.

body
06-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by djr5901
I recently started on this "natural" food plan where i try to shy away from processed foods. I like my food sweet, and i am looking for ways to avoid processed sugars and artifical sweetners. Currently, I am using honey to flavor my oatmeal in the morning, and also using it to flavor my tea. Does anyone know if honey is processed in any way?

Intrigued,
Dave

so honey is not processed? do the bee's put the honey in the sterilised sealed glass jars?

body
06-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Im not sure what honey does to your blood sugar, but i wonder if its any different than what processed sugars do. I think i read somewhere that honey breaks down slower than other processed sugars, but correct me if im wrong.

Best,
Dave

it has a gi of about 74. so meduim/high.

glucose is glucose wether its made in a lab or by a bee. same with all other sugars, your body can't tell the difference between chemicla made in a lab or made in nature.

they are the same in every respect (though optical isomerism may vary slighlty in some). if they have a different structure they would be another chemical.

i do not understand all this anit-processed talk. 99%+ of your food is processed. with vitamin/minerla tablets/ creatine being highly proccesed. food has been like this for the last 50 years in rich countires.

in some cases like peas, frozen peas are better then fresh unprocessed peas.

look at each food on its own merits, do not discrimanate into processed versus non processed. thats like comparing comparing primobolan with anadrol.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-11-2002, 10:19 AM
I think i read somewhere that honey breaks down slower than other processed sugars, but correct me if im wrong.

Yeah it does, cause it's glucose and fructose in a 1:1 ratio (i think! Maybe a slightly different ratio - can't remember.)

Honey is palatable, but really there is no immediate use for the stuff.

body
06-11-2002, 10:19 AM
btw sugar has a unique sugar in it. (excpet for one other food)
this sugar is only found in one other food products that i know is 100% natural. well i do not think you can buy it nless you go to a rent boy.

Any gues where this sugar is found?

P.S. i have never tasted it and do not want, but women can often taste it.

I think thats a big enough clue, for some uless knowedlege.

body
06-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Yeah it does, cause it's glucose and fructose in a 1:1 ratio (i think! Maybe a slightly different ratio - can't remember.)

Honey is palatable, but really there is no immediate use for the stuff.

depends on the brand of honey and how runny it is, the more runny i think the more water therefore you will have to eat more to get the insulin spike. but probably not as sweet?

WannaBeStrong
06-11-2002, 12:17 PM
btw sugar has a unique sugar in it. (excpet for one other food)

I am hesistant to consider that food.

body
06-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by WannaBeStrong

I am hesistant to consider that food.

actually that food has vit b-12 in it, the one that vegans do not get enough so get precicous anemia.

so any nice vegan girlie's i have a source that you can take with out brekaing your morals.

have i made this denegerate, but still kept it scientific?

Behemoth
06-11-2002, 05:24 PM
I'm curious, yet hesitant to know where Body gets his information...

geoffgarcia
06-13-2002, 02:53 PM
There was an article in the Star Ledger (NJ paper) a few days ago that talked bout the difference between sugar, synthetics and honey.

Sugar + brown sugar = Zero/No difference chemically.
Sucrose is bonded to Fructose and gets injected into blood stream very very quickly. This causes blood sugar spikes, whatever doesn't get used gets stored as fat.

Honey also contains sucrose and fructose however they are NOT bonded together. The sucrose flies into the blood stream at the same pace as reg. sugar, but the fructose (as well know) takes a VERY long time to break down, and in fact is one of the hardest things for our bodies to break down.

What does this mean?

we are getting small doses of sugar for a few hours after taking honey, this helps stabalize blood sugar, and means that there is a greater chance we will actually USE all the sucrose/fructose that enters our body and less chance it will get stored away for later use.

This is from memory. I read the article about 6 hours ago, but thats pretty much it.

PS-The article said taking neither is best as there is enough sugar in most foods and very little reason to add more to any diet.

PSS-Fructose in your system as in Honey/Fruit slows down your metabolism as it takes sooo long to break down. Which is why they say you should take Creatine with something that has a very high fructose count (like grape juice) as the creatine bonds to the fructose and more of it gets stays in your system to be absorbed...ahah!

If you have a VERY slow metabolism you should take more fructose as it will keep your metabolism working longer during the day.

body
06-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by TryingToBeBig
I'm curious, yet hesitant to know where Body gets his information...

i am sick and disturbedtuttut

i know lots of uselss info. and some good points now and then.