PDA

View Full Version : major problem need help

Trane33
02-20-2012, 05:34 PM
:scratch:Ive got a big problem with finding calories. Maybe its because im used to a clean diet but i really cant figure this out.us Ok, first I found my calorie count to lose fat which is 2300 roughly and i was given the advice to use 40% protien, 40% carbs and 20% fat.us So l got to calculating everything i eat and heres what looks like: breakfast 1 cup oatmeal and 2 eggs whole(has omega 3's), mid-morning 2 eggs a piece of fruit or salad, lunch 4 ounces of fish or chicken a cup of mashed potatoes or rice and a salad or 1cup of veggies, afternoon snack same as mid-morning and dinner usually the same as lunch and maybe protien shake before bed. The only thing different is on the days thatvi workout i will consume 2 protien shakes with milk. Even with this i cant figure what to eat for more calories without compromising my goals of fat loss and muscule building through the 5/3/1 sereis and a small complex(barbell).My target caloric intake to ljse weight is 2300 and my goal is 200 lbs from my current 252lbs any takes. thanks

JacobH
02-21-2012, 12:13 AM
I think you may be getting in a little too deep with the macro breakdowns. It's generally not a good idea to use percentages. How did you find out your maintenance calories so fast? Did you track them over a few days or use a calculator online? I think in your position you should simply track your calories and make sure to get a large chunk of them from protein. I'm willing to bet you would see good results without a complicated macro breakdown. Don't even worry about a specific number of carbs and fats until your weight loss hits a wall. As long as you hit your calories consistently and keep a high protein intake you'll be fine.

Trane33
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
yea, i found an online calorie and carb/ fat counter. so to help you to understand a little more, i used to be on michael thurmans 6 week body makeover diet and i lost about 51lbs. what scares is he had said " that most peoples bodies can'f breakdown more than 4 ounces of protien at a time(hence the 4 ounces of chicken or fish spoke of in my headibg paragraph), thats why im hesitant to eat more protein or am i ok as long as i workout.

chevelle2291
02-22-2012, 01:23 AM
yea, i found an online calorie and carb/ fat counter. so to help you to understand a little more, i used to be on michael thurmans 6 week body makeover diet and i lost about 51lbs. what scares is he had said " that most peoples bodies can'f breakdown more than 4 ounces of protien at a time(hence the 4 ounces of chicken or fish spoke of in my headibg paragraph), thats why im hesitant to eat more protein or am i ok as long as i workout.

This michael thurman guy appears to be full of shit.

Alex.V
02-22-2012, 05:47 AM
This michael thurman guy appears to be full of shit.

No, he's right. There's a little stomach gnome with a scale who sits in there and weighs stuff when it comes in. If a portion is over four ounces, he pulls a little lever and the rest bypasses your digestive tract.

PS- everyone has the exact same gnome with the exact same scale.

Alex.V
02-22-2012, 05:48 AM
Mine's called Snorky.

dynamo
02-22-2012, 06:08 AM

i eat over a pound of meat at a time, so its usually around 150g-200 of protein. I'm doing fine. Its like four 4 ounce servings at once.

Trane33
02-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Holy crap you guys are funny as hell, snorky. this is great, i gave my answer to the diet delimma make sure that most of my calories come from lean dead animals and not to sweat the stomache gnome with a grudge against more than 4 ounces of meat at a time lever. you don'y know how how much better that makes things for me. i have quit a bit of muscle to be 5'6 and weigh 251lbs and bench 280, squat 355, deadlift 390 and military 155(which is kinda low but working on it). Hell i don't know but thanks for the advice and laughs. I think I'll name my gnome norm.

RhodeHouse
02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
As a side bar, you're not goping to build much muscle if any if you're on a restricted calorie diet. You can't serve 2 masters.

to build muscle you need a surplus of calories. This is the opposite of what you're doing with your diet.

You can maintain muscle mass in a calorie deficit, but you will not build any. Fat loss and building muscle are 2 opposite goals that cannot be attacked at the same time. You will suffer your entire training career if you don't figure this out.

Pick one goal and attack. Once you're where you want to be, switch gears and attack the next goal.

Unless you're on gallons of steroids, then have at it. But, if you're spending money on drugs, there's absolutely no reason to be on a restricted calorie diet.

Niko_El_Piko
02-24-2012, 01:12 PM
No, he's right. There's a little stomach gnome with a scale who sits in there and weighs stuff when it comes in. If a portion is over four ounces, he pulls a little lever and the rest bypasses your digestive tract.

PS- everyone has the exact same gnome with the exact same scale.

Mine's called Snorky.

HAHHAAHAHAAHAHA LOL!!!!!!!!!

I almost spit my cofee with the Snorky !!!!!!!

Trane33
02-24-2012, 06:30 PM
As a side bar, you're not goping to build much muscle if any if you're on a restricted calorie diet. You can't serve 2 masters.

to build muscle you need a surplus of calories. This is the opposite of what you're doing with your diet.

You can maintain muscle mass in a calorie deficit, but you will not build any. Fat loss and building muscle are 2 opposite goals that cannot be attacked at the same time. You will suffer your entire training career if you don't figure this out.

Pick one goal and attack. Once you're where you want to be, switch gears and attack the next goal.

Unless you're on gallons of steroids, then have at it. But, if you're spending money on drugs, there's absolutely no reason to be on a restricted calorie diet.

Thanks for the advice RhodeHouse. So you responded in another forum to not do 5 times a week, would be safe to say its ok to do 5/3/1 3 times a week with a barbellor dumbell complex each of those three days, or should my focus just be on the complexes and let thr protien take care of my not losing muscle issue. as you can tell im a very specific person and i know how much of a pain that can be so be patient.

RhodeHouse
02-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the advice RhodeHouse. So you responded in another forum to not do 5 times a week, would be safe to say its ok to do 5/3/1 3 times a week with a barbellor dumbell complex each of those three days, or should my focus just be on the complexes and let thr protien take care of my not losing muscle issue. as you can tell im a very specific person and i know how much of a pain that can be so be patient.

All 5/3/1 does is track and porgram your main lifts. You can train 3 or 4 days a week. It really doesn't matter as long as you get all the lifts done. As for complexes, whatever, dude. Train to reach your goals. if you want to do the complexes after the main work that's fine.

At a certain point your specific-ness needs to get it's ass in the gym and figure it out for yourself. The ONLY way to figure out if it work is to train and stop asking questions.

Trane33
02-25-2012, 10:12 PM
All 5/3/1 does is track and porgram your main lifts. You can train 3 or 4 days a week. It really doesn't matter as long as you get all the lifts done. As for complexes, whatever, dude. Train to reach your goals. if you want to do the complexes after the main work that's fine.

At a certain point your specific-ness needs to get it's ass in the gym and figure it out for yourself. The ONLY way to figure out if it work is to train and stop asking questions.

Iwill adress this firstly by saying thanks for advice on the program being cool and all, i get it i won't know until trial and error. secondly i know that im new to the forum and all, but not life, so ill kindly ask you to keep your indirect cursing to yourself or someone else. You can say what you mean without it. I understand that lifes influences shape us and all but i aint made like that, nor do i talk to anybody like that and id expect the same respect from others. Call it what you want that's the way it should be. Again thanks for the advice.

RhodeHouse
02-27-2012, 07:03 AM
[QUOTE=Trane33;2543445]Iwill adress this firstly by saying thanks for advice on the program being cool and all, i get it i won't know until trial and error. secondly i know that im new to the forum and all, but not life, so ill kindly ask you to keep your indirect cursing to yourself or someone else. You can say what you mean without it. I understand that lifes influences shape us and all but i aint made like that, nor do i talk to anybody like that and id expect the same respect from others. Call it what you want that's the way it should be. Again thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE

If you can't handle direct responses with adult words then you might not want to read what I have to say. I don't care how you're made. If you can't handle straight talk then find a place where people tell you what you want to hear. I'll tell you directly what I think. That's how I'm made.

Trane33
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=Trane33;2543445]Iwill adress this firstly by saying thanks for advice on the program being cool and all, i get it i won't know until trial and error. secondly i know that im new to the forum and all, but not life, so ill kindly ask you to keep your indirect cursing to yourself or someone else. You can say what you mean without it. I understand that lifes influences shape us and all but i aint made like that, nor do i talk to anybody like that and id expect the same respect from others. Call it what you want that's the way it should be. Again thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE

If you can't handle direct responses with adult words then you might not want to read what I have to say. I don't care how you're made. If you can't handle straight talk then find a place where people tell you what you want to hear. I'll tell you directly what I think. That's how I'm made.

Well I guess you told me off huh. Look man im not trying to argue with you by far cause' it's useless and will go nowhere but sour and i don't care for it. I know that you have a wealth of knowkedge and thats the rsason wannabebig is here, partly anyway. All im asking is that you din't curse directly or indirectly when you address anything that has to do with me abd I'll be than happy to follow suit on your part. If this can't be then perhaps you should'nt respond to my cries for help. This is not an arguement, dhis is me trying to make and keep peace.

RhodeHouse
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=RhodeHouse;2543824]

Well I guess you told me off huh. Look man im not trying to argue with you by far cause' it's useless and will go nowhere but sour and i don't care for it. I know that you have a wealth of knowkedge and thats the rsason wannabebig is here, partly anyway. All im asking is that you din't curse directly or indirectly when you address anything that has to do with me abd I'll be than happy to follow suit on your part. If this can't be then perhaps you should'nt respond to my cries for help. This is not an arguement, dhis is me trying to make and keep peace.

Neat

Trane33
02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
:bang:I don't think anybody has a need for a spell check more than I, it's this wii remote and well..also because I didn't look before i posted it. woe is me

JacobH
03-09-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm willing to bet you would see good results without a complicated macro breakdown. Don't even worry about a specific number of carbs and fats until your weight loss hits a wall..

Brilliant. You know, I was thinking the exact same thing.