PDA

View Full Version : "natural" meat

codei
06-06-2002, 12:57 AM
about a week ago i met a lady through my job, her and her husband were "certified" organic farmers.. they didnt use any chemicals on their crops or any hormones or whatever in their livestock. she's going on to me about how its so much healthier and this and that. i didnt place a whole lot of belief into it but i bought a bag of 20 burgers ($17) from her anyway to seal the deal w/what i was trying to sell her.

ive had a few of these now and they appear to be incredibly lean, nothing is coming off the foreman grill. is there any truth to this claim that "natural" cows are healthier?

Vynod
06-06-2002, 08:25 AM
What are its nutritional contents? Never heard of this kind of meat.

Tiare
06-06-2002, 09:26 AM
If they are selling through maverick ranch, then yes there is truth to the claim. Excellent meats. you can see the nutritional breakdown at www.maverickranch.com

Usually runs about $1 more per pound and the protein to fat ratios are incredible. I personally mix the beef 1lb of beef + 1 raw egg white + 1/8th cup bread crumbs. It's almost like cooking with wild game.

Podium Kreatin
06-06-2002, 10:41 AM
organic meat is not much healthier than normal meat (yea, normal, 80% of grocery food is geneticallyenhanced).
firstly, animal hormones wont' have much effect on humans
secondly, ever since man made farms, they selective bred everything, and picked out mutations that were favored (like seedless organges, which reproduce only by cloning). hormones are today's version of pre-darwinism days of ffarming.

body
06-06-2002, 11:25 AM
as poduim mentioned - they are speeding up the natural evolutionary process.

the meat may be leaner. but thats to do with life style. its not cheap for a farmer to feed a 1,000 pound cow made muscle, its cheaper to feed a 1,000 pound cow with lots of fat.

if growth hormones and steroids really made the cow fat, then why do you human take growth hormone and steroids to get lean?

if your willing to pay for it, you can find lean meat that is not organic.

thalapathi
06-06-2002, 12:47 PM
I got the post below from some online article a while back.
HTH

First of all, they are lower in total fat than the meat from animals fattened in a feedlot. For example, a sirloin steak from a grassfed steer has about one half to one third as much fat as a similar cut from a grainfed steer. In fact, grassfed meat has about the same fat content as skinless chicken or wild deer or elk.(1) When meat is this lean, it actually lowers your LDLcholesterol levels.(2)
Although grassfed meat is low in total fat and "bad" fat (including saturated fat), it has two to six times more omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s play a vital role in every cell and system in your body. For example, of all the fats, they are the most heart friendly. People who have ample amounts of omega-3s in their diet are less likely to have high blood pressure or an irregular heartbeat. Remarkably, they are 50 percent less likely to suffer a heart attack.(3,4,5,6)
Meat and dairy products from grassfed ruminants are the richest known source of another type of good fat called "conjugated linoleic acid" or CLA. When ruminants are raised on fresh pasture alone, their products contain from three to five times more CLA than products from animals fed conventional diets.(7,8,9)

1. Fukumoto, G. K., Y.S. Kim, D. Oduda, H. Ako (1995). "Chemical composition and shear force requirement of loin eye muscle of young, forage-fed steers." Research Extension Series 161: 1-5. Koizumi, I., Y. Suzuki, et al. (1991). "Studies on the fatty acid composition of intramuscular lipids of cattle, pigs and birds." J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 37(6): 545-54.

2. Davidson, M. H., D. Hunninghake, et al. (1999). "Comparison of the effects of lean red meat vs lean white meat on serum lipid levels among free-living persons with hypercholesterolemia: a long-term, randomized clinical trial." Arch Intern Med 159(12): 1331-8. The conclusion of this study: "... diets containing primarily lean red meat or lean white meat produced similar reductions in LDL cholesterol and elevations in HDL cholesterol, which were maintained throughout the 36 weeks of treatment."

3. Siscovick, D. S., T. E. Raghunathan, et al. (1995). "Dietary Intake and Cell Membrane Levels of Long-Chain n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and the Risk of Primary Cardiac Arrest." JAMA 274(17): 1363-1367.

4 Simopolous, A. P. and Jo Robinson (1999). The Omega Diet. New York, HarperCollins. My previous book, a collaboration with Dr. Artemis P. Simopoulos, devotes an entire chapter to the vital role that omega-3s play in brain function.

5 Rose, D. P., J. M. Connolly, et al. (1995). "Influence of Diets Containing Eicosapentaenoic or Docasahexaenoic Acid on Growth and Metastasis of Breast Cancer Cells in Nude Mice." Journal of the National Cancer Institute 87(8): 587-92.

6 Tisdale, M. J. (1999). "Wasting in cancer." J Nutr 129(1S Suppl): 243S-246S.

7. Dhiman, T. R., G. R. Anand, et al. (1999). "Conjugated linoleic acid content of milk from cows fed different diets." J Dairy Sci 82(10): 2146-56. Interestingly, when the pasture was machine-harvested and then fed to the animals as hay, the cows produced far less CLA than when they were grazing on that pasture, even though the hay was made from the very same grass. The fat that the animals use to produce CLA is oxidized during the wilting, drying process. For maximum CLA, animals need to be grazing living pasture.

8 . Ip, C, J.A. Scimeca, et al. (1994) "Conjugated linoleic acid. A powerful anti-carcinogen from animal fat sources." p. 1053. Cancer 74(3 suppl):1050-4.

9. Aro, A., S. Mannisto, I. Salminen, M. L. Ovaskainen, V. Kataja, and M. Uusitupa. "Inverse Association between Dietary and Serum Conjugated Linoleic Acid and Risk of Breast Cancer in Postmenopausal Women." Nutr Cancer 38, no. 2 (2000): 151-7.