PDA

View Full Version : cottage cheese?

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Whats the consensus on cottage cheese? yay? nay? also, in general is it higher in carbs and fat then in protien? or visa versa.
D.
dieting newbie.

NateDogg
06-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Has lots of great protein, not TOO many carbs and you can get it with little to no fat. IMO, TASTES TERRIBLE!!!

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 09:56 AM
im dieting to lose fat:) not to sample the best foods in the world:) if it tastes a little "not so hot" but it works.. im all about that:)
d.
short and plump

runt
06-06-2002, 10:01 AM
Cottage cheese is an exellent source of protien. I eat low fat and it has about 30 grams of protien per cup (2 servings according to carton) and mixed with brown rice it's a great meal. I love the tase of cottage cheese - just had some for breakfast.

NateDogg
06-06-2002, 10:01 AM
More power to you!!! I tried to eat it, but after multiple dry-heaves, I just couldn't do it. I think to me it's the texture.

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by NateDogg
More power to you!!! I tried to eat it, but after multiple dry-heaves, I just couldn't do it. I think to me it's the texture.
heh:) if it was high in protein and low in fat, carbs i would eat cardboard.. wait:) most protein bars taste like cardboard anyway:)
d.

NateDogg
06-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by White_lightning

heh:) if it was high in protein and low in fat, carbs i would eat cardboard.. wait:) most protein bars taste like cardboard anyway:)
d.

lol, good point.

thalapathi
06-06-2002, 12:52 PM
White-Lightning - I have been eating low-fat cottage cheese for about 7-8 months now and must agree with NateDogg with regard to the taste. I find it hasn't hindered with my weight loss and is a good source of protein. I browsed around the newsgroups and found its ideal to take before bed because of the slow digesting caesin protein. After about 7 months of dieting I couldn't care about the taste, and results seem to matter more.
Thalapathi.

ps: however I do find that different brands of cottage cheese taste really different. My favorite has been the friendship brand which seems to taste better than other brands I have sampled.

Blood&Iron
06-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Gee, am I the only person who likes the taste of cottage cheese? I don't even bother with getting low-fat; the full-fat kind tastes much better. It still has only 9g of fat, 26g protein, and1 10g carbs per cup(Well, the brand I eat anyway)

thalapathi
06-06-2002, 12:57 PM
B&I- Whats the brand of cottage chesse you use? I have tried about 5 different ones and each of them taste different. Some seem to be better than the other, but I still dont "like" how it tastes.

Blood&Iron
06-06-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by thalapathi
B&I- Whats the brand of cottage chesse you use? I have tried about 5 different ones and each of them taste different. Some seem to be better than the other, but I still dont "like" how it tastes.
Since dairies tend to be fairly localized in terms of distribution, the brands in Ohio are probably totally different than the ones here in Michigan. They are some national brands--Breakstone's I believe(Which I don't like) Since you're relatively close, there might be some overlap in terms of brands. I can't recall the brandname of the kind I eat off the top of my head, though.

Saint Patrick
06-06-2002, 01:34 PM
It all tastes the same to me and I LOVE the stuff!!!
straight out of the carton w/ some pepper :D

jcybex
06-06-2002, 02:55 PM
hey stpatrick44,

i think i'll try that. cottage cheese with pepper. my wife's gonna look at me like I'm a freak-a-zoid tho'. :)

smalls
06-06-2002, 03:03 PM
Add sugar free jam and it is the best thing in the world. Seriously natedogg try it.

Shao-LiN
06-06-2002, 03:23 PM
Am I the only one that wouldn't mind eating cottage cheese at every meal because it tastes good? =)

I eat 1% knudsen cottage cheese...tastes awesome. The nonfat that I used to get at trader joe's did taste like crap though.

thegeneral
06-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Do any of you live near Oberwies Dairy's? Oberwies has THE best cottage cheese. I've tried many different kinds from the store and Oberwies is king!! :)

You guys should also try it with raisens (sp?) -- pretty good.
I also have a hard time eating CC though. :( I have to try really hard to get it down. But the raisens help out a LOT.

I want to try putting cottage cheese and tuna in the blender some time. Even though I just nearley puked just typing it, I think it would be a killer snack, if it actually tasted decent. :D

Tiare
06-06-2002, 03:57 PM
I love the taste. Especially with some salt and pepper and fruit in it (pears, peaches, grapes). I eat 1% at least 1/2 a cup every night. sometimes I have it 2 or 3 times a day especially when I'm out of HB eggs.

NateDogg
06-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by smalls
Add sugar free jam and it is the best thing in the world. Seriously natedogg try it.

I actually might have to try that one, thanks smalls!

g-dot
06-06-2002, 04:21 PM
Cottage cheese has a great ratio of carbs/fat/protein and is a staple of a solid bodybuilders diet. It has been mentioned a few times already but I'll throw my 2 cents in on this one. I tried cottage cheese a while ago and thought it was disgusting but after trying a few brands I found one that was delicious. Now I love the stuff and eat at least 2 servings per day. So my advice to you is to shop around and buy a few brands to see what you like best.

Shark
06-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
Am I the only one that wouldn't mind eating cottage cheese at every meal because it tastes good? =)

I eat 1% knudsen cottage cheese...tastes awesome. The nonfat that I used to get at trader joe's did taste like crap though.

Rock on!! I eat knudsen 1% every day.. can't live without the stuff becasue it tastes sooo good!

ions
06-06-2002, 04:40 PM
A little bit of fruit in it helps it out a bit. If I get late night cravings it's one of the things I reach for.

I guess I'll try the different brands thing maybe it'll help.

Tryska
06-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by thalapathi

ps: however I do find that different brands of cottage cheese taste really different. My favorite has been the friendship brand which seems to taste better than other brands I have sampled.

w00t! finally. someone who understands my love for friendship cottage cheese. i have been talking about it for like a year now, and no one around here understands why i love it so. evr other one just plain tastes nasty, after having it.

CBates
06-06-2002, 06:10 PM
I used to love cottage cheese, now it's F'n nasty.. I mix my flaxseed oil and cottage cheese together as my last meal of the day, in hope of both of that nasty $h!t would cancel out the nasty taste of each other, instead makes a whole new crap taste..

Saint Patrick
06-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by jcybex
hey stpatrick44,

i think i'll try that. cottage cheese with pepper. my wife's gonna look at me like I'm a freak-a-zoid tho'. :)

lol that's ok when you're all pumped up from the protein, she'll look at you like a God. :D

freztek
06-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Cottage Cheese Rocks! I just had a scoop of it in my salad today for lunch. Knudsen is probably the best brand I've had throughout the years (small and large curd). I just tried this brand called Berkley Farms and it tastes pretty good for being lowfat. The key to eating cottage cheese is pepper gotta have the pepper on it! Maby cottage cheese is one of those foods you have to grow up eating in order to appreciate??? My wife hates the stuff. I've eaten it all my 25 years.

tudmuf2b
06-10-2002, 06:36 PM
yo, i tried the cottage cheese with pepper that someone recommended and it rocks! I bought the Friendship brand cause it was on sale. i'm not sure if i like this more or my canned tuna with mustard....

:)

MWB
06-11-2002, 03:57 AM
The Friendship brand is the best one imo. It has the least amount of carbs per serving too.

KRayZieDoGG
06-14-2002, 12:42 AM
i eat fat free cottage cheese right out of the container

sometimes i mix in some splenda and chunks of a fruit i chop up, any fruit i have really (apples, pears, mango, whatever) to enjoy it a bit more

stantheman
06-14-2002, 06:58 AM
Big fan of cottage cheese. You can get it with no fat and I don't even mind that. Food is not supposed to taste good, just fuel for the body. Well at least when I am in the right frame of mind.

06-14-2002, 08:37 AM
If your in Canada you won't have any problem finding awesome tasting cottage cheese. Its in the U.S. where that stuff tastes like cow turds.

Saint Patrick
06-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by stantheman
Big fan of cottage cheese. You can get it with no fat and I don't even mind that. Food is not supposed to taste good, just fuel for the body. Well at least when I am in the right frame of mind.

Sorry, I disagree. Food IS supposed to taste good. If it doesn't, then it's not prepared right.

tudmuf2b
06-19-2002, 10:26 AM
After eating cottage cheese last nite (about a cup) before bed, I woke up this morning and noticed my belly was a little bloated. is this supposed to happen?

Tiare
06-19-2002, 10:29 AM
Tudmuf2b; you may have a mild food alergy or something or it may have caused gas. Don't worry about it unless it's new fat, probably just your intestines are full.

Happens to me sometimes.

IceRgrrl
06-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Another vote for 1% Friendship cottage cheese...I love it!

The texture and taste can vary quite a bit...experiment with what's available in your area until you find one that you can live with.

tudmuf2b
06-19-2002, 10:56 AM
Ice, does the 1% taste different from the regular Friendship CC? I hesitate to buy the lower fat one, just because it's costs $4 for a little bucket, and I just threw out a brand called "Rich Food" CC which was a lot cheaper, but was just nnnnasty.... http://www.rr-bb.com/images/smilies/puke.gif

What's a good amount to eat before sleeping anyway? Is 1 cup too much, as there are a lot of calories involved.

NateDogg
06-19-2002, 03:12 PM
My cottage cheese experience, update:

I have tried Breakstone's 4% and 2% small curd and I love them! Thanks guys!

ND

IceRgrrl
06-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by tudmuf2b
Ice, does the 1% taste different from the regular Friendship CC? I hesitate to buy the lower fat one, just because it's costs $4 for a little bucket, and I just threw out a brand called "Rich Food" CC which was a lot cheaper, but was just nnnnasty.... http://www.rr-bb.com/images/smilies/puke.gif

What's a good amount to eat before sleeping anyway? Is 1 cup too much, as there are a lot of calories involved.

I don't think I've ever had anything other than the 1%, so sorry I'm not much help there.

I agree with you though on the cheaper store brands that I've tried....yuck! They tended to be runny (ewww) and the taste was off.

MWB
06-19-2002, 06:00 PM
Wow $4 a tub? Do you have a "whole foods" or "Bread and Circus" store near you. They have the Freindship brand for $2 a tub. I go through about 10 a week now. Good stuff

InProgress
06-20-2002, 06:28 AM
Friendship 1% milkfat cottage cheese has to be about the best stuff out there. It's not all chunky and watery like most of the other stuff. It's completely natural (no added chemicals or other crap) You gotta try it.

tudmuf2b
06-20-2002, 07:24 AM
I live in Manhattan where stuff is $$$$$$$. If anyone here lives in Manhattan and can tell where to get that Friendship CC cheap, then I'm all ears.... :)

Anyway, so how much should I eat before I sleep? A full serving (a cup?)??

Tryska
06-20-2002, 07:53 AM
why not try the freindship website......

hang on a sec.....

http://www.friendshipdairies.com/

i favor the california style 4% over the low-fat kinds because they add some chemical i don't know..i think to extract the fat or whatever...but the lowfat tastes closer to other store-bought brands. also i'm not particularly concerned about the fat content anyways, so i get the one that tastes best.

ElPietro
06-20-2002, 07:56 AM
1% cottage cheese is ace. I generally eat a 250g tub every day.

LiftAgain
06-20-2002, 08:53 AM
I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't get my daily cottage cheese fix! :)