PDA

View Full Version : cardio question

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 10:56 AM
hey guys.. i have a Q on cardio.

for my weight/age the little chart on the walking machine shows for "weight loss" i should stick to 130-140 Beats per min, and 150+ is "cardio".
if i stick for mid/high 150's BPM, would i have noticably LESS fat loss then sticking to teh 130-140..?? at 130-140 bpm it seems to me like im not doing ****.. im barely walking at any pace at all..
thanks in advance.

Feldmonster

runt
06-07-2002, 07:12 AM
I ignore those charts on the machines. At my age (42) I'm supposed to stick to 111 for optimal fat loss - dull and boring! I really learned to like Bill Phillips Body For Life cardio program in which you vary you intenstiy gradually up to a peak and then drop it back down 4 times in 20 - 30 minutes. So at the lowest level of intensity my heart rate might be 111 but at the peak it might be at 170. It feels right to me and it really keeps my bf% in check. I prefer to do this on a stationary bike but I do it on the tread mill as well just because I love to run. There are lots of different oppinions on this topic. Try different methods for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and you'll find the right program for you.