PDA

View Full Version : fat intake

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 12:35 PM
how much Fat should one take in during the day? what is teh best source for non saturated fat? if i have very low fat intake is that bad for me?
thanks in advance.

feldmonster

gettinjackT
06-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Fat is good.....eat fat throughout the day and your body won't store much at all. If you eat small amounts of fat, whenever your body does get fat, it immediately stores it as bodyfat.....Fat also keeps your test levels up and has lots of benefits

Best sources for EFA's
1. Fish/fish oils
2. Flaxseed oil
As far as foods with good fat/low saturated fat, I would say peanut butter/nuts , olive oil.....

NateDogg
06-06-2002, 04:33 PM
:withstupi

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 04:37 PM
how many grams of fat should i be taking in per day?and where can i purchase flaxseed oil?

ions
06-06-2002, 04:42 PM
You can get flax seed oil at most nutrition stores. GNC has it. Some pharmacies and also some of the big chain supermarkets carry it - at least up here in Canada.

Shao-LiN
06-06-2002, 04:43 PM
how many grams of fat depends on you and your goals.

White_lightning
06-06-2002, 04:44 PM
my goal is to lose as much fast as i can:)
d.

Tru
06-06-2002, 04:50 PM
I agree with GettingJackT.. The diet i'm going on now has high fat, low carb, high protein..

If you don't eat much fat, your body goes into survival mode and stores more fat than it normally would...

Tiare
06-06-2002, 10:19 PM
As for what fats are good besides that nasty flaxseed...
Pumpkin seed (tasty!)
fish oils (preferably with the fish attached)
Olive
hemp seed (yeah baby! too bad it doesn't get you high)
Safflour & sesame seed (IMO)
And how much you should take in depends on the diet you want to be on. I fluctuate mine but usually I just take in 20 to 35% of my total calories in fats with the majority of them being non or mono saturated.

On another note (pet peeve of mine):

Your body doesn't store fat if your intake of calories is below your output of calories. I defy anyone to give any real evidence of someone having a sustained increase in absolute fat weight when they are eating less than they burn. Your body may burn more muscle than fat causing an apparent increase in fat, but you are still burning fat, not storing it.

Starvation mode is when your body doesn't keep it's temperature up quite as high which does lower the number of calories that you burn and slows your metabolic rate.

Exceptions to this would be extremes such as paralysis of a limb and coma or complete atrophy.

Vido
06-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Basically if you want to lose fat quickly you can calculate how many grams of fat by following these steps.
1) Decide how many total calories you wish to consume each day.
2) Decide on your daily protein intake, whether it be 1, 1.5, or 2 even 2 g per lb of bodyweight.
3) You don't want to eat many carbs. Therefore, subtract the carbs from your post-workout shake (which should not be dropped from your diet).
4) Now your remaining calories for the day should come from healthy fats and possibly some low glycemic carbs depending on how low carb you wish to go.
Basically, just work backwards. Don't just pick a number out of the air for how much fat you eat. Actually figure out how much you need based on the rest of your diet.

Clark
06-07-2002, 12:25 AM
I disagree, the simple carbs should remain in the post workout shake. Maybe reduce them a bit if you were consuming a lot, but removing them entirely would be more detrimental than including them. Your body is in a state where it needs those carbs.

Vido
06-07-2002, 12:33 AM
Clark, I felt I was clear, but apparently was not. I said that post-workout carbs should not be dropped from your diet. Unless you are trying to get into ketosis, then that would have been an absolutely horrible recommendation.

Clark
06-07-2002, 12:38 AM
ok, fine, as i read it i thought you were saying "drop the carbs from the post WO shake". I get it now that you meant just don't count them, but keep them in the shake.