PDA

View Full Version : serious weight loss during illness...help!

Phenom
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
A little over a week ago I got some kind of infection in my throat that spread to my salivary glands and mouth and as a result it caused so much pain in my tongue and gums that eating was nearly impossible. A typical day of eating would be a yogurt, a pudding, and some soup. Even drinking was painful so i avoided shakes and stuff like that.

I started at a weight of 230 when it started and dropped to about 208 after 6 days and I feel weak and skinny as hell. I'm 24 years old and I'm starting to be able to eat normally again with just a little pain. I know what i have to do and I plan on eating literally everything in sight to gain it back quickly but I've never had time bounce back from anything like this so i was hoping I could get some advice or encouragement from anyone who has anything to offer. I'm assuming a good amount of water weight is part of it but I'm also worried I just erase months and months of muscle and strength gains.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info

JacobH
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that man. You've got a lot more experience than me, so I won't offer any advice, but I will say that most of the weight you lost is likely not muscle, and the muscle you did lose is much easier to gain back than it was to gain in the first place. I wouldn't get too down about it, 6 days won't erase years of hard work.

FearFactory
02-27-2012, 04:00 PM
You are fine, I highly doubt you lost much/any muscle. To make you feel better, just think about how some powerlifters cut weight for a meet. Some cutting up to 20-30 lbs with only a week out! Then they get right back up to their prior weight with a day of heavy eating/drinking. You might be a little weaker the first day back, but you will bounce back in no time.

FYI, I had the same thing you are describing about 3 years ago. My throat was so sore/swollen I literally couldn't drink water. Had to go to the ER and get some steroid injection because I could barely breathe.

RhodeHouse
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
You're fine. I would be patient with your "comeback". Getting sick and losing that kind of weight will effect you for a while. Maybe a few months? Maybe not. Just get back to eating normal as you start to feel better. Get back to training slowly, but after a week or so, you can start to step on it. You'll feel the effects, but just give it all you can and in time, you'll surpass your progress from pre-AIDs (hahahaha!)

FearFactory
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
No joke, when this happened to me I searched "chronic sore throat" and one of the first things listed was "HIV".

I fucking freaked out and got tested that week because it was the most insane sore throat of my life.

JacobH
02-27-2012, 09:51 PM
No joke, when this happened to me I searched "chronic sore throat" and one of the first things listed was "HIV".

I fucking freaked out and got tested that week because it was the most insane sore throat of my life.

Lol. This is why I stopped googling every ailment I get. First thing that pops up is always cancer or some horrendous disease.
"Slight pain in lower abdomen"
Search results: SUPER AIDS

Phenom
02-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Eating is getting easier, I'm still chewing very carefully and slowly however. At any rate its feeding time. Wendy's for lunch and taco bell for dinner tonight :)

FearFactory
02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey man if it is the AIDS, I will hire these guys to tell you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9h3z2fa3E