PDA

View Full Version : Polk County Senior Games Powerlifting Results

UncleAl
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
The two powerlifting events (bench & deadlift) for the senior games were held at the All American Gym in Lakeland, FL, under USAPL rules. There were around seventy competitors, the majority of whom were between 55 and 70. Two were over 85! Judging was surprisingly strict, considering probably a fifth of the entrants had no clue WTF they were doing. (I walked a half dozen guys in the first flight through deadlift basics, when I noticed they were either doing modified SLDLs or starting from a full squat position.)

Four members of our Lifters Without Limits team competed -- Veto (age 80), Ron (78), Bill (76), and me (65). The other guys were bench only. I also deadlifted. We took gold in all of our events, even Bill, who had calf surgery two days before and couldn't drive with his legs. (Yes, he is one crazy old bastard.)

Since this contest was unsanctioned, I planned to use it as a tuneup for the APF Europa (April 27) and just lift in accordance with where I am in my cycle. I stayed with the plan through the bench presses, but it fell apart when we started pulling. They didn't use a deadlift bar, so I thought my opener with 425 would feel like a ton, but it flew up. Two whites. One judge gigged me for moving my foot, although I have no clue how that could happen, unless I'd lost my balance. (I think she wanted me and failed the lift to build up the sexual tension.) Amazingly, the second attempt with 455 also went up easily. Three whites this time. The plan had been to stop there, but it's hard to stick with such a plan when you smell a PR, right? Called for 485, a modest 5lb increase over my previous best.

Mine was the last lift of the meet, and the crowd was behind me. The consequent adrenaline rush pushed my head all the way up my ass, and although I set up well, my timing was off. My legs started to straighten prematurely, and the bar nearly stalled at that sticking point a couple inches below the knees. F**k! You wouldn't believe how round my back was! (Have a photo on FB, if anyone wants to catch a horror.) However, I'm much too stubborn to quit just because I'm about to propel my L4/L5 across the room.

The boomerang from a deadlift bar might have helped my cause, but with the stiff standard bar, I had to inch that mutha up. It took so long, my left hand started to give way, and the bar was on my finger tips when I finally locked out. Whew! Three whites. The two guys who were on my ass appeared to be in the 220s (I weighed in at just under 163), which made the victory that much sweeter.

That's the good news. The bad news is my CNS is so dorked up, I'll never recover soon in time to peak again for the April meet. Hopefully, I'll find another good one about twelve weeks from now. In any event, it was nice to be at a meet where everyone else was old, too, for a change...where I could finally be a champ, instead of playing second fiddle to you young'uns.

larsen540
02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
good stuff

Brian Hopper
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
My uncle did that meet, he finished the day with a 245 bench and 405 pull.

UncleAl
02-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Larsen - Thanks.

Brian - He was most likely in my flight. Who is he, and what was his age & weight division?

Brian Hopper
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
His name is Al Manganello and he competed in the 181's at 67 years young :)

UncleAl
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
His name is Al Manganello and he competed in the 181's at 67 years young :)

Yes, he was in my bench press and deadlift flights. Tell him I said 'hi'.