PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

Falcon63
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Hey, what's up guys? I have a few questions that are currently bugging me. First off, I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried Pavel's 80/20 routine, and if it actually, you know, works for bench/squat/deadlift?

Also, if it does, my second question is how can I do the bench portion WITHOUT a spotter? This seems to be my most limiting obstacle right now because I can't tip the weights when I fail (my college's gym would flip out), and the only people actually strong enough to spot me in the gym are my former football player teammates, but they can't, because of their weird lifting schedules. Also, the gym's DBs only go up to 100 pounds (!), so I'm basically stuck and can never go to failure on low reps. This is a HUGE problem, and I'm wondering if anyone here has a similar problem and how they get around it? I want pure strength, so I want to lift low reps, and I can, but I can't go TOO heavy or go to failure, which I like to do, for the reasons stated above.

larsen540
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I personally have never tried the Pavel 80/20 but some suggestions would be to bench in the squat rack with the safety bar just above your chest in case you do fail. As far as dumbells not being heavy enough use bands with them this will make a huge difference in your pressing and you can change the resistance based on different size of the band. I would strongly encourage you tho to start looking for someone with knowledge that you can train with. Or at the very least a training partner with the same goals in mind that would be able to spot you as needed.

Falcon63
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I personally have never tried the Pavel 80/20 but some suggestions would be to bench in the squat rack with the safety bar just above your chest in case you do fail. As far as dumbells not being heavy enough use bands with them this will make a huge difference in your pressing and you can change the resistance based on different size of the band. I would strongly encourage you tho to start looking for someone with knowledge that you can train with. Or at the very least a training partner with the same goals in mind that would be able to spot you as needed.never thought of the bands, but unfortunately, my gym is shitty (college's gym), so no bands :/

And I used to have a few workout partners, but they all became fat lazy slobs who play PS3 all day (I play PS3 a lot, honestly, but I still workout and am very active).

Also, I noticed in your sig you take creatine pills? Just wondering, are they better or worse than powder? Obviously, I'd prefer pills, but I mean, do they digest slower, do you have to take them at certain times in relation to your workout? Just wondering, cause the powder always sticks to the bottom of my shaker.

joey54
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
No I have not.

Find a gym with a power rack and bench in that.

SchultzeStrengt
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Umm pavel is the dog meat thing right? Wait that's pavlov.

Just bench out of a power rack. That's what I do I set the safety bars just below chest level to wear if I can't get the weight, it sinks in about half an inch. It won't hurt. I've done it before and just rolled the bar down and got out from under it. And I still get full ROM.

ZAR-FIT
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Just bench out of a power rack. That's what I do I set the safety bars just below chest level to wear if I can't get the weight, it sinks in about half an inch. It won't hurt. I've done it before and just rolled the bar down and got out from under it. And I still get full ROM.

Best option.... if no power rack, then maybe smith machine, although the range of motion is comprimising at times. Definately try to hog the squat rack for your bench work.

Falcon63
02-28-2012, 06:55 AM
@SS Thanks, I'll try that. And yeah, Pavlov is the one who classically conditioned dogs (learned that in my psych class last week).

Also, anyone ever tried it, or heard about it? Is it a good program for someone who is not new to lifting?

theBarzeen
02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Pavlov's conditioning works on powerlifters too.
Instead of the dogs drooling when they hear a bell because they expect food, yell " back, back, back, UP!" when a lifter is sitting somewhere and see if they stand up.

If the gym is that shaky and there's nobody to help you my best suggestion is to find a decent team within an hour or two of you and just pony up once or twice a week.

Falcon63
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
^I'll try that, see what they do (seriously). Despite my weak 300 pound squat (knee surgeries), I'm still the only serious squatter/deadlifter in my gym so I'm kinda the alpha male :)

joey54
02-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone who uses the term "alpha male" has to be a beta.

;)