PDA

View Full Version : Atkins, do you eat below maintenence?

Behemoth
06-07-2002, 11:11 AM
I have a few questions about the atkins diet, but the biggest one is... In order ot successfully lose weight and BF, do you have to eat below maintenence calories as well as just eating fats and proteins? Or do you eat maintenece? Or can you even eat above maintence?
Secondly, what is a good fat/protein ratio for it? I've heard 70/30 f/p, and that too much protein can kick you out of ketosis.
Third, how many grams of carbs can the average person consume daily and still stay in ketosis? I've heard 20 or less a day for the firsy week, then like 30 after than?
Fourth, does the fat breakdown matter while in ketosis? Should one still be trying to consume more unsaturated fats and less saturated?
Thanks in advance for my loads of questions

Behemoth
06-12-2002, 12:37 PM
Can anybody answer a few of these?

WannaBeStrong
06-12-2002, 01:27 PM
I have a few questions about the atkins diet, but the biggest one is... In order ot successfully lose weight and BF, do you have to eat below maintenence calories as well as just eating fats and proteins? Or do you eat maintenece? Or can you even eat above maintence?
If you want to lose weight the rules still apply. In - Out = Surplus, Out - In = Deficit. Eat less calories to lose weight.

Secondly, what is a good fat/protein ratio for it? I've heard 70/30 f/p, and that too much protein can kick you out of ketosis.

70/30 seems fine, but I'd go for 1g/lb bw and the rest fat.

Third, how many grams of carbs can the average person consume daily and still stay in ketosis? I've heard 20 or less a day for the firsy week, then like 30 after than?

This is one of those trial and error deals. Some people can eat 50+, some < 10. I'd shoot for 0-10 in the beginning and see how much it takes to kick out.

Fourth, does the fat breakdown matter while in ketosis? Should one still be trying to consume more unsaturated fats and less saturated?
It's always best to watch your sat fat intake, but it matters a bit less in ketosis. I'd try to get as much fat as possible from healthy sources like EFA oils and healthy nuts, but don't be paranoid about it. Most people report a small raise in HDL after a KD, but also a small raise in LDL.