PDA

View Full Version : the moron in the vitamin shop told me i will get diabetes from malto and dextrose, wh

the_hall
06-10-2002, 04:46 PM
That is what he told me, he told me i will get diabetes from drinking malto and dextrose with my pw shake. He told me just to buy a crap load of ala from him, and that is the "natural" way for me to raise my insulin level. Then i told him that he was wrong, and he got all mad and started saying how he was a health profelisonal for 25 years and this and that, and this lyle mcdonlad and dan duchaine guys are morons, and malto and dextrose will give me diabetes.

THen i told him that (this is what I know) that since im only getting 33% carbs, then during my carb up and pw my insulin sensitivty will already be high, especially since im eating low gi carbs, but he didnt want to hear anything i had to say.

Is there any risk of getting diabetes from eating malto and dextrose pw? And also doing a re-feed with all high gi carbs once a week?

I got mad at the guy and got in an argument with him and then i left after i said something about him eating his own crap. He was also fat and had never heard of lyle mcdonald and he always tells people how his borge (sp?) oil is 10x better than flax.

Fudomyo
06-10-2002, 06:11 PM
They *believe* that our societies change in diet has led to highier levels of diabetes. If you eat highly processed food all the time, you are always spiking your insulin levels. They think the body loses it's sensitivity to this, and hence you develop Type II diabetes.

If you are eating mostly low GI foods, except for your PW shake I think you are fine.

Insulin also appears to be linked to your metabolism (hence all the refeed type posts). I "try" and spike it at breakfast, and PW, when it mostly goes to glycogen stores, and I keep my fat intake low or zero at these meals.

$0.02
Fudo

MWB
06-10-2002, 06:12 PM
First of all ALA doesn't raise your insulin levels, it improves insulin sensitivity letting your own natural insulin do its job better.

As far as the diabetes thing, I don't know. You can develop diabetes by eating tons of simple sugars and refined carbs for years on end but 50 grams of dextrose in a post workout shake 3-4 times a week should be all right.

Wizard
06-10-2002, 07:30 PM
It's true that you can get diabetes if your insulin levels reach very high levels all day long..

However supplementing your post workout shake with dextrose or maltodextrine won't raise the chances of developing any kind of disease.. :rolleyes:

Clark
06-10-2002, 08:06 PM
I agree with these guys

Manveet
06-10-2002, 09:28 PM
tell the vitamin guy to f*** off.