PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine Sensitivity??? Caffeine Sensitivity???

beachmuscles
03-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Hello, I have a few questions about a recent issue I had a few days ago. I've realized I'm insanely sensitive to caffiene, almost to the point where it doesn't seem believable. I've tried it in the past, and it always had very bad effects on me.

Anyways, yesterday I had about 1/8 cup of coffee, I'm talking the smallest amount possible. Probably about 2-3 swallows, and a few sips. This was at 9am...I went to the gym at 3:30pm, and was insanely wired with energy, almost to a level that is unbelievable. I worked out chest very heavy, and came home around 5pm. I was talking a mile a minute, and could barely drive because I was so amped up on energy. I had problems holding conversations because I was so hyped and my head was all over the place. The whole night I was very sweaty, and also very twitchy. I developed a headache and couldn't sleep the whole night. Even at 1am, I still felt my body anxious, and amped up.

Today, I'm just really tired, but feel fine. Why am I so sensitive?

Also one of my main concerns is my heart/head/overall health...I've had one of these extreme episodes from caffiene a handful of times over the years, but always think I can do it and just try smaller dosages. I always have the most insane workouts, so it was almost like I had to do it a few times a month. I'm COMPLETELY cutting out all CAFFIENE forever in my diet, as my body can't even handle the smallest dosages. Even a few sips of a diet coke, can take me to a crazy level of energy.

Do you think caffiene could cause long term damage on the heart? I'm going to go to a doctor next week for a full check up, but today I noticed while doing cardio (it's been a while) that I had real bad chest pains from my heart, and I noticed this happened one time when I was at a club dancing really fast...

Thanks guys.

Rileigh
03-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Caffeine is a stimulant and thus - can certainly have an effect on your heart. It can cause elevated heart rate, blood pressure among other things all of which are bad for your heart long term. Think of it like your car engine. It's capable of revving up to a 7000 rpm redline sure, but typically it stays at or under 3000 rpm. If you consistently keep it at 6000 rpm, your engine won't last long.

That being said, I find it very difficult to believe that the caffeine from a few sips of coffee caused what you describe. I'd be more inclined to believe your symptoms may be psychologically derived as opposed to any physiological problem. Your anxiety, stress and worry about having that caffeine could have amped you up that much. Sort of like tripping out on drugs. The first time I ever took a sleeping pill I was scared to death because I didn't know how it effect my body, and I ended up staying up all night because I kept thinking about it, checking my pulse etc.

To put it in perspective (I may not be the best example as I seem to be practically immune to caffeine) - I've taken as much as 600-800mg of caffeine in a single day and experienced no side effects. I did that for a couple weeks (not 600-800mg, but a significant amount 400-500mg avg per day) and then stopped completely (with the exception of comparatively small amount in a bottle of diet pepsi) with no withdraw symptoms.

JacobH
03-07-2012, 02:46 PM
It does seem hard to believe that 1/8th cup of coffee could possibly do that to you. Is this the first time you have had ANY caffeine in a long time? Do you ever drink soda? Or even eat chocolate?

K Y L E
03-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Caffeine sensitivity can really suck. The symptoms you've described don't seem like it was a bad thing, but along similar lines, if I have half of the smallest can of Red Bull the same thing happens to me. Anxiety kicks in. Feel like I wanna tear myself out of my skin.

My questions to you:
Do you smoke at all?
Do you get really uncomfortable?
When you drink caffeine does your heart have palpitations? (beats really slow, then fast, then slow,etc)
Have you gone to a Dr. to get a stress test?

I was working one day last May, and I had a 15 hour shift that day and I was tired so I bought a Worx energy shot and drank only half. Within 45 minutes I was dizzy, my chest felt like it caved in, extremely uncomfortable. I left and went to the hospital, had a heart monitor put on for a month.
Anyways the end result is, I was diagnosed with hypertrophic/dilated cardiomyopathy. Another thing they found is that (since I used to run cross country, and winter and spring track) my heart rate was naturally low at a rest. In the one month, the lowest it was recorded was 33(serious), a normal persons HR is 80-120.

Another attribute to this could have been that I'm an ex-drug addict. I would take really high doses of adderall a lot, sometimes mix it with Xanax to get a speed-ball type effect.

If I were you, I'd cut out caffeine, drugs like I mentioned if any, and go see a doctor. If you're looking for a stimulant that doesn't really mess with your heart, try Hemo Rage. I take half a scoop before every workout and I've never had any negative stim effects.

clsmilek
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
3 scoops of Jack3d imo

K-R-M
03-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Caffeine sensitivity can really suck. The symptoms you've described don't seem like it was a bad thing, but along similar lines, if I have half of the smallest can of Red Bull the same thing happens to me. Anxiety kicks in. Feel like I wanna tear myself out of my skin.

My questions to you:
Do you smoke at all?
Do you get really uncomfortable?
When you drink caffeine does your heart have palpitations? (beats really slow, then fast, then slow,etc)
Have you gone to a Dr. to get a stress test?

I was working one day last May, and I had a 15 hour shift that day and I was tired so I bought a Worx energy shot and drank only half. Within 45 minutes I was dizzy, my chest felt like it caved in, extremely uncomfortable. I left and went to the hospital, had a heart monitor put on for a month.
Anyways the end result is, I was diagnosed with hypertrophic/dilated cardiomyopathy. Another thing they found is that (since I used to run cross country, and winter and spring track) my heart rate was naturally low at a rest. In the one month, the lowest it was recorded was 33(serious), a normal persons HR is 80-120.

Another attribute to this could have been that I'm an ex-drug addict. I would take really high doses of adderall a lot, sometimes mix it with Xanax to get a speed-ball type effect.

If I were you, I'd cut out caffeine, drugs like I mentioned if any, and go see a doctor. If you're looking for a stimulant that doesn't really mess with your heart, try Hemo Rage. I take half a scoop before every workout and I've never had any negative stim effects.

A normal persons HR is absolutely not 80 to 120.