PDA

View Full Version : HCT12 Journal - Time to stop going through the motions!

Rileigh
03-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Hello all, so I've come to the decision to finally make a real workout log/journal. I've always felt that, in general, logging, blogging, journal-ing, writing down goals (vs storing them mentally) was a waste of time. I had always been confident that I mental fortitude and willpower to follow through on whatever mental plans/promises/goals I made to myself, however in only taking the briefest look through my workout history it's plain to see that (at least in this case), that was untrue.

History

I first started working out in 2005. It was after university (comp sci in case anyone was curious) and I started working. There was a gym in the building where I was working and a co-worker and I decided to check it out. The co-worker was a varsity basketball player in university and had some experience - I had none at the time. I worked out on and off for the next 4 years or so (which is to say I had a gym membership for the entire 4 years) - however I never really saw any gains during that time. Incidentally the co-worker is now probably my best friend and we still workout together when we can.

In looking back at that time it's clear to me now that the reason was because I never really pushed myself. I could get a bit more technical then that, but I basically got to what I felt was my max and just stayed there.

What happened next was I made the decision to go back to school (post grad diploma in GIS/Remote Sensing technologies). I managed to get my employed to lay me off so I could go on employment insurance and take a few months off before school. I sat on my ass, played video games, drank for the entire time and saw my biggest weight gain ever (was up over 260 at one point).

Sept came along - and started back to school. I had no money for a gym membership (I didn't take a loan for school relied entirely on savings) and only had a set of plates and dumbbells I got from walmart to work out with at home. The school I was attending was tiny and it's "gym" consisted of a multi-gym type machine (which may have been broke) and some cardio machines. That being said - I lost a bunch of weight my first year (2 year program) due to playing a lot of basketball at lunch, and I did maintain as much of a workout routine as I could at home with my dumbbells.

The summer between first and second year saw my biggest gains yet. I obtained summer employment and summer gym membership - which I was pumped about since it was practically next door to my office. I worked out a routine with my buddy (mentioned above) to continue to slim down and hopefully see some gains. I went to the gym mon-thurs after work everyday.

I'll briefly illustrate the routine for comparative reasons. Essentially I pushed really heavy to failure on one main exercise per day, then did low weight high rep accessory exercises after that. All main exercises were dumbbell exercises since that was what I was used to and the one time I tried the barbell chest press I actually couldn't push as much weight. So it went:

mon: chest (85's max)
tue: back (70's max single arm BB row)
wed: shoulders (65 or 70's max - can't really remember)
thurs: bi/tri's (used too different exercises to really compare and get a definitive max)

I was pretty happy with my progress and wanted to hopefully maintain it through the school year till I could get back to the gym. Two things happened that prevented that. Firstly, over the summer I had met what would soon become the girl of my dreams (we're engaged now), and secondly my second year at school was much much more intense then the first year.

Meeting the girl wouldn't have been such a big deal except for that she lived about 95-100mins away from the school I was attending (and I lived somewhere in between). So the extra travel time on the weekends to go see her combined with being at school until sometimes 10p at night doing work (even basketball was out at lunch) basically killed any extra time I would have had to work out. By the end of the year I was back up to close to 240.

So I finished the program this past May and started working again. The GF and I decided to get a membership at a rec center near where we lived which had a nice gym, pool, track, bball courts etc. It was a good deal, the only downside being that we would have to drive to get there. Basically that meant coming home after work, eating supper, then going to the gym - that was my first mistake. Motivating myself to go after supper and I'm home is next to impossible for me. But I did it probably 2 sometimes three times a week.

The biggest problem was that since the times that I was going to the gym lacked consistency; so did my work outs. I had reverted back to the go into the gym "do whatever" no routine kind of thing. In spite of that, I got back to probably 85-90% of what I had been at the previous summer. The other good thing I started doing while at this gym was using BB moves instead of DB moves.

About a month ago we found out my GF (finance now) was pregnant. There's a gym here in the office building where I work now which is ok and we get a good discount on. But we had got the membership at the rec center for the pool and other amenities. Unfortunately with my gf pregnant she wasn't able to make use of many of these anymore so I made the decision to buy out the remaining time on my contract at the rec center and switch to the gym here in the building.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Unfortunately my gf miscarried and it was actually kind of a scary time for us (it turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy and she had to have surgery), but we got through it. Though I definitely took some time off from the gym during all that. Then we went away to Jamaica for my brothers wedding and I got back primed and ready with a gym in same building I worked which I knew I could easily goto 5 days a week if I wanted to. Now all I needed was a good routine.

Present

That's what brought me to this site. I started reading about HCT12 and I liked the science/research that was behind it, but more importantly it made sense to me. In coming to this site, the bigger motivating factor perhaps was reading journals here on the site. It seems as though people got very motivated by the gains and setting PR's. This was a foreign concept to me.

I made the decision to do the HCT12 workout 4 days a week for now. I also decided to start logging everything in a spreadsheet so I could see the gains. I also committed to working my lower body, which has been perhaps one of the biggest mistakes in my past. I'm always nervous about working my legs because I have naturally big thighs and calves on their own.

Current Stats

Height: 6'2"
Weight: fluctuating between 223 and 228

<will insert some measurements here later>

Before starting this routine I was at the following weights:
Bench: 185 (I had been pushing it to 225, but after reading a bit on this site realized that I wasn't going low enough so wouldn't count them)
Squats: The odd time I had done them was on the smith machine usually with 2 plates on each side
Deadlifts: Historically have scared me to death so I've avoided them like the plague. My family has a history of lower back issues and my lower back isn't "great" but I don't feel I have any major issues here.

The Plan

Like I said above, HCT12 pretty much by the book 4 days a week. I'll be going on my lunch break to do my weight workouts. Many times I have an hour or so wait after work before my fiance gets here to pick me up (she takes the car since it costs an arm and leg to park at my building and she can park for free). So in that time I'll return to the gym and do either low intensity cardio, or HIIT cardio depending on how I feel on a given day.

Once I hit my current lifting goals - I'll want to cut down a good 5-8% body fat. This would put me at around 12% according to my scales at home which I know aren't that accurate but currently measure me at anywhere from 18-20%. Once I've cut down that amount I'll set new goals and keep moving forward in that manner.

Goals
Bench: 225x6
Squats: 315x6
Deads: ?? Not sure what a reasonable goal would be here. Short term it's just making sure I do them with proper form.

Supplements/Diet

My diet isn't the greatest in the world, but it's also not the worst either. I don't eat fast food, I stay away from a lot of bad snack food. I do tend to eat a lot of processed food (specifically chicken strips/nuggets/burgers, fish sticks, fries (I do bake them at least)) but have been making an effort to cut back on that. I'm also not a huge fan of vegetables or even really fruit. In fact the only way I usually eat them is stir fried in some kind of sauce.

I don't (nor am I about to) count calories. I occasionally will approximate how much I've eaten to the best of my knowledge and generally will come in around 2000-2200 mark per day with around 150g of protein. Once my bloodwork comes back if there's no protein in my urine I'll increase that (no protein in the urine means that my body is using every bit that I'm taking in). If there is protein in my urine I doubt I'll dial it back any.

I have naturally done IF even before I read it on this site. In fact, there have been days during school where I ate one huge meal a day in the evenings. I almost never eat breakfast (except on the weekends tho since I actually read about it on this site I cut that out too). So I will continue to do this and work out in a fasted state at lunch time.

I've tried a lot of different supplements in an effort to get over what I perceived to be a plateau in the past in both muscle gains and fat loss. I feel like my body may be somewhat "immune" to a lot of supplements. I've taken a couple different test boosters in the past and seen no gains, but I also felt none of the other side-effects either. I've taken an EC stack before, in fact, up until the miscarriage I had been taking it (in cycles) since probably Oct of last year? So for about 4 months or so and only saw a 10-15 lb loss in weight in that time. Again none of the side effects, no sweating, jitteryness etc. Also have tried CLA before. Protein powder is and has always been a staple of mine.

Currently I'm taking nothing but a multivitamin and protein powder. (BSN Syntha-6) I also have a product at home called Muscle Synergy (pretty much like ALN's Results http://www.fitnessone.com/muscle-synergy-p-308.html). I haven't started that yet. I got my doctor to send me for blood work since I haven't taken any real supplements in the past ~month or so. This way I can get a good baseline and then get it taken again after trying this supplement to see what's changing (if anything).

I think that's everything, sorry I tend to be a bit wordy. Hopefully I covered everything. I've got exactly 2 weeks of work out logs so far. This is the start of week 3, so I'll post the data from the last 2 weeks.

Edit:
Now that I've been at this for about 2 months consistently I've made a few modification to the routine. I'm maintaining the general structure of the four day HCT12 workout. The four days are as follows:
mon - 1A
Tue - 1B
Wed - C
Thurs - 2A
Fri - 2B

Each of the primary A and B workouts focuses on one major lift (ala 5/3/1):
1A = Bench
1B = Squat
2A = Standing Overhead Press
2B = Deadlift

These major lifts are done first following the same rep/set structure more or less as outline in HCT12 (I generally don't bother with many low weight warm up sets, but do ramp up my work sets and do the clusters). The other exercises performed during these workouts are exactly what HCT12 outlines, so for workout 1A I would add a horizontal pull, vertical pull and a triceps exercise, I may or may not add a light vertical pressing exercise (for volume) depending on how I feel.

That same principal holds true for the other workouts. The point of this is so that I'm performing my main lifts once a week and assistance lifts twice a week usually.

The other addition is a workout C, which is basically a do whatever day. I'm so used to going to the gym on my lunch at work now that I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't go. So I use this day to get in exercises I wouldn't normally get in during my other workouts. I also do a lot of core work on this day as that tends to be a weak spot for me.

Rileigh
03-05-2012, 10:08 AM
The last two weeks:

Week 1:

Monday

Seated DB press
45x6
50x6
55x6
60x6
65x6x2x2

Pulldown Row
90x6
105x6
120x6
135x6x2x2

Single Arm DB Rows
50x6
55x6
60x6
65x5
70x6x2x2

BB Skull Crushers
30x6
40x6
50x6
60x6
70x6
80x6x2x2

BB Bench Press
90x6
145x6
155x6
175x6x2x2

Tuesday

Squats (smith)
105x6
195x6
205x6
215x6
225x6
225x2
225x2

Calf Raise (machine)
90x6
105x6
145x6
160x6 (max)
160x2
160x2x2x2

BB bicept Curls
40x6
50x6
60x6
70x6
80x6x2x2

Crunchs (machine assist)
BWx6
BW+5x6
BW+10x6
BW+15x6
BW+20x6
BW+20x2
BW+20x2

DB Deadlifts
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x6x2x2

Thursday
Triceps Cable pull Down
30x6
40x6
50x6
60x6
70x6
80x6x2x2

BB Bench Press
130x6
150x6
160x6
180x6
200x4x2x2 (PR)

Pulldown Row
90x6
105x6
120x6
135x6
150x6x2x2 (PR)

DB Military Press
45x6
50x6
55x6
60x6
65x6x2x2

DB Bench Rows
50x6
55x6
60x6
65x6x2x2

Friday
Squats (hack)
90x6
180x6
230x6
250x6
270x6x2x2 (PR)

Calf Raises (super set with squats)
90x8
180x8
230x8
250x8
270x8x2

BB bicep Curls
40x6
50x6
60x6
70x6
80x6x2x2 (PR)

Crunchs
BWx6
BW+5x6
BW+10x6
BW+15x6
BW+20x6
BW+25x6
BW+30x6x2x2

DB Deadlifts
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x6
80x6x2x2

Week 1: Summary. Loved the workout, loved seeing the gains - such a huge motivator for me. Using the barbell bench properly has seen a small decrease in my max weight, but I have no doubt I'll hit my goal here soon. Unfortunately I seen to be taking my lunch at a bad time a day. There's only one rack for deadlifts and squats at the gym and everytime I'm there there's a group of 3 guys using it the entire time. Very annoying. Will try taking my lunch an hour later next week to see if I can avoid them.

Week 2
Monday
Dips
BWx8
BWx8
BWx6x2x2

BB Bench Press
135x6
155x6
185x6
205x6x2x2 (PR)

Pulldown Row
90x6
105x6
120x6
135x6
150x6x2x

DB Military Press
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x5x2(PR)

DB Bench Rows
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x6x2x2

Tuesday
Squats (real!)
45x10
135x6
185x6
205x6
225x6x2x2

Calf Raises (Leg press machine)
90x10
180x10
230x10
270x10
360x10x6x5

BB bicept Curls
40x6
50x6
60x6
70x6
80x6x2x2

Crunchs
BW+10x10
BW+20x10
BW+30x8
BW+35x8
BW+40x6x3x3(PR)

DB Deadlifts
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x6
75x6x2x2

Thursday
Triceps cable Pulldowns
30x6
40x6
50x6
60x6x2x2

BB Bench Press
135x6
185x6
195x6
205x6
215x5x2x2

Pulldown Row
90x6
105x6
120x6
135x6
150x6
165x5x2x2

DB Military Press
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x6x2x2

Lat Cable Row
90x6
105x6
120x6
135x6
150x6x2x2

Friday
Squats (real!)
45x10
135x6
155x6
185x6
205x6
205x6x2x2

Calf Raises (calf machine)
90x10
100x10
100x10

BB bicept Curls
40x6
50x6
60x6
70x6
80x6
90x4x2x2(PR)

Crunchs
BW+20x10
BW+25x10
BW+30x10
BW+35x10
BW+40x8x2x2

Deadlifts (real!)
45x6
135x6
155x6
185x3x2x2

Week 2 summary: Moving my lunch ahead an hour really helps with getting access to equipment, which is important since I'm only dealing with a limited amount of time. Finally got my first taste of real squats and deadlifts. I have to say I really like squats in the rack. When using the smith machine I'm usually left with a sore back (likely due to bad form), that doesn't exist with just a bar. I dialed them back a bit on friday because I wanted to make sure I was going low enough and try and concentrate on form (so were pretty slow reps).

Deadlifts - ugh! Not sure what to think here. Lifting the weight was absolutely no problem, in fact I feel I could have easily lifted much more then that. My issue was in putting them down. About half way down I get a little twinge in my lower back. I've done a lot of reading about deadlift form since that workout and for my next lower body workout I'm going to try using much lower weight and concentrate on keeping my back straight as I'm fairly confident that's the reason.

GazzyG
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Good write up, Rileigh! You've got some good numbers to start with, particularly your bench.

Deadlift takes practice - you need to make sure that you're not prematurely locking your legs out on the way up and that you bend them on the way down, lest you turn them into SLDLs. A sign that this is happening is when your hips rise first on the way up and drop last on the way down.

Good on you for getting started on the proper barbell exercises, though; one thing I've learned from the guys on this forum is that there's no substitute for them.

Rileigh
03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks Gazzy! I'm going to take this week and practice them with low weight and try to really work on form. Throwing out my back due to bad technique is not an option. :) There are the fixed barbells at the gym for up to 110 lbs I think. So I may just try working on my form with those. If I can cap those out next workout and with no pain I'll move back to the real barbell for the following workout. And if I'm still having problems I'll get my buddy to work on my form with me over the weekend and fix it up.

Today's workout:
BB Chest press
135x6
185x6
205x6
215x4x2x2

Single arm DB rows
55x6
60x6
65x6
70x6
75x6x2x2

Seated DB press
55x6
60x6
65x6
75x6(PR)

Dips
BWx8
BWx8
BWx6x2x2

Pulldown Row
105x6
120x6
135x6
150x6
165x4x2x2

I was expecting to hit 225 on bench today, but didn't happen. I'm ok with that. The seated press PR came out of no where. Someone was using the 70lb dumbbells when I started my first set of the press. And by the time I was ready to use them he had just started his second set. So I just f it and grabbed the 75's. Pretty happy about that. A few months ago back when I was doing random exercises I grabbed the 70s and couldn't even get them up to start the exercise without help.

Definitely going to make sure I get some more dips in next time.

Edit: looks like I'll be waiting around an hour today, so will hit the gym after work again and probably do some HIIT. Probably use longer rest intervals. Like maybe 45-60 seconds work, 3-5mins rest depending on how I feel.

LuNa
03-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Nice work already and i agree with Gazzy, you have good numbers to start with. Best of luck with everything.

Rileigh
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks Luna. I really do feel like I have a lot of potential here.

Squats:
135x10
185x6
205x6
225x6
245x6
255x6x2x2(PR)

Crunches (45 degree decline bench with torso rotation at the top):
BWx10
BW+25x6
BW+25x6x2x2

Calf Raises (leg press machine)
180x10
270x10
320x10
340x10
360x10
380x10x2x2 (held the last rep up for 5 seconds)(PR)

DB Curls
25sx6
30sx6
35sx6
40sx6
45sx5x2x2

Deadlifts:
115xlots and lots

Was pretty happy with the squat PR, and I think I could have easily gone a bit higher. I think I'll see some pretty quick progression here maybe (see below). Calf raises, well I've always had calves like tree trunks. That wasn't even really all that tough, I think I'll see lots of increases here over the next couple weeks as well.

Deadlifts are still kicking my ass. I used lower weight today and really was trying to concentrate on form. I did find that picking a spot in the distance and focusing on it helped. But there's still a specific point where I'm lowering the weight where I feel I sharp pain in my lower back. It's about 2/3rds of the way down right before I start to bend my knees (in fact I end up trying to bend my knees prematurely because I know the point is coming and try to avoid it). Once I get past the point I'm fine. Getting the weight up is absolutely no problem at all.

My theory is that I either have a very very very weak lower back, a bad lower back or my form is still not great. I've been trying my best to keep my shoulders back, and my back straight with a slight arch in my lower back - but this seems to make it worse. The other possibility I was thinking off was that if my squat form is off a bit and that's hurting my back a little, but not enough to notice during squats, that might be enough for me to really notice it during deadlifts.

My buddy is going to take a look at my squats and deadlifts on the weekend. But just to rule out the possibility I'll do deadlifts first on friday (my next lower body day) and see if the pain is there right from the get go or not which will at least rule out the squat causing the pain.

Coke
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I really do feel like I have a lot of potential here.

Indeed you do, can't go wrong so long as you keep at it over an extended period of time.

Good luck with everything.

Rileigh
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Indeed you do, can't go wrong so long as you keep at it over an extended period of time.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks! That's one thing I've really lacked. The biggest difference between when I hit my peak in summer of 2010 (have surpassed that now) and every other moment up until now was consistency. That summer I went every day mon-thurs. Since I've switched gyms I've been there 9 times in the past two weeks and so far everyday this week. :)

Rileigh
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
side plank
30seconds each side x2

reg plank
30 seconds x2

DB Lat shoulder raises
10sx10
12.5sx10
15sx10

DB Shrugs
65sx10
90sx10x10

Leg Curls
90x10x5

Reverse Fly
70x10x3

Back Extensions (off the bench type thing, not sure what it's called)
BWx10x3

Cable Kneeling Chop (each side)
30x10
40x6
40x6

According to HCT12 this should be a rest day. However I wasn't sure what to do on my lunch if I didn't goto the gym. In reading about my issues with deadlifts I found that if it's not form that's the problem it could also be a weak core (which wouldn't surprise me). So I concentrated on some light accessory work and some core work. I have to say the back extensions felt really good. I felt like I was standing straighter and taller when I was finished them.

Rileigh
03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
A note on nutrition and weight:

I've been weighing myself everyday the past few days because we had a huge slab of left over birthday cake from my brother. So I've been having a piece every night with supper haha.

My normal meals look something like:
protein shake with milk plus sandwich right after my workout @ ~2p
Large supper, this week so far has been chicken pot pie, protein pancakes and fried egg and smoked meat on a bagel. @ ~5-6p
Snack of Cashews or cheese and crackers around 8p-9p

Lunch is almost always around the 500-600 cal mark
Supper varies, but it could be anywhere from 800-1400 calories
Then probably 300-400 calories for a snack

That puts me around 1600 - 2400 cals per day. The cake probably adds about 500 to those numbers.

My weight (always weighed first thing in the morning) has been 227.6, 228.0 and 227.0 the past three days. So I'd say my maintenance number right now is around 2500. To me that seems a bit low for someone who's active at least 5 hours a week. (225lbs x16 = 3600 calories maintenance)

shrug. Good to know I guess.

Rileigh
03-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Ended up my buddy had some free time today, so he came down to the gym when I would normally workout to give some deadlift and squatting pointers. Pretty positive it's a flexibility issue which is causing me to round my back a little during both exercises. So I've started doing hip/hamstring stretches in the evening. It only causes a mild annoyance with squats because I can't quite go as low as I would like without rounding my back, but it's more obvious with deadlifts as I can't get them to the floor without rounding my back.

The solution? Other then adding stretches, my squats will just take awhile to get as low as I would like, so no real modification to the program there. They'll gradually get lower and lower. For Deadlifts, since I do them twice a week, the first day I'll do squats first, and lightweight deadlifts for form and mostly for the stretch. Second day I'll start off with rack pulls to get used to the weight and then move squats lighter/higher reps later in the workout.

So after we had figured that out, I had time for a quick bench session before I went back to work and got:

Bench
135x8
185x6
205x6
215x6

After work was over, I came back and did:

Seated DB Press
60s x6
65s x6
70s x6
75s x6 (couldnt get the clusters, I waited a minute but didn't have the energy to get them up into position)

DB Rows
60 x6
65 x6
70 x6
75 x6x2x2

Lat Pull down
120x6
135x6
150x5.5x2x2

Dips
BWx8
BWx8
BWx6
BWx6
BWx4

Close Grip Bench
bar x alot
95 x6
115 x6
135 x6
155 x6x2x2

Wide Grip Bent Over Rows (smith machine)
105 x8 x3

I had been feeling pretty tired all day, I wanted to fall asleep at my desk the entire day at work. Seemed ok at the gym in the sense that I was awake, but clearly was lacking energy. Lat pull down suffered. But got a few extra exercises in. I think I'm going to start alternating each week before DB rows and the bent over rows because I actually really like the bent over rows and I can feel them much more then the DB rows.

I tried close grip bench because I didn't want to do a normal bench session again, but I did want to get some more tri work in. Felt good.

GazzyG
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Good choice of exercises there.

Also, hope the flexibility work helps with your squat and dead! I'm sure it will.

Rileigh
03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Good choice of exercises there.

Also, hope the flexibility work helps with your squat and dead! I'm sure it will.

Thanks Gazzy, heading down to the gym in about 15-20mins, super pumped to try the rack pulls.

Rileigh
03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Rack pulls
bar x alot
95 x6
115 x6
135 x6
135 x6x2x2

Squats
bar x alot
135 x6
135 x6
155 x6
185 x6
185 x6x2x2

Crunches on decline bench
BW +25 x10
BW +35 x8
BW +35 x8x2x2

Calf raises on Leg Press machine
270 x10
360 x10
380 x10
410 x10x2x2(PR)
(also threw in 3 reps of actual leg press after the last cluster)

DB Curls
25s x6
30s x6
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6x2x2

Back Extensions
BW x 10
BW +10 x8
BW +10 x8

Finished the workout with no back pain. At least no "bad" back pain. Lower back certainly feels worked but that's it. Rack pulls felt tough, but good, made sure to get them done while keeping my back straight, I think these are going to clutch for getting used to the movement. Concentrated more at getting low with the squats then worrying about the weight right now. Just want to make sure my lower back and core is getting strong as opposed to how much weight my legs can actually push.

Looking forward to getting off work and cracking a beer and resting up over the weekend :)

GazzyG
03-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Really good session, good selection of exercises. I love light Back Extensions at the end of heavy back sessions, it seems to flush out some of the acid and ease the pump.

Good job on the crunches too - one thing I've learned from some people on the forum, notably NickAus, is that a strong core leads to a strong deadlift. Been slacking on my abs lately, gonna do some on Sunday when I'm next in.

LuNa
03-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Nice lower session. At what height are you doing those rack pulls?

Rileigh
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Really good session, good selection of exercises. I love light Back Extensions at the end of heavy back sessions, it seems to flush out some of the acid and ease the pump.

Good job on the crunches too - one thing I've learned from some people on the forum, notably NickAus, is that a strong core leads to a strong deadlift. Been slacking on my abs lately, gonna do some on Sunday when I'm next in.

Yeah, that's why I'm really trying to get a little extra core work in. I've never worked my core. Between that, flexibility issues and probably a weak lower back; my deadlifts are going to take a lot of work here to see much improvement.

Nice lower session. At what height are you doing those rack pulls?

The bar ends up slightly below my knee. So probably about a foot off the ground, maybe a bit more then a foot. It's the lowest I can set the safety pins basically.

Rileigh
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
DB Rows:
65s x6
70s x6
75s x6
85s x6x2x2(PR)

BB Standing Overhead Press:
bar x15
95 x6
105 x6
115 x6x2x2

Hammer Strength Triceps Extension:
40s x6
50s x6
60s x6
70s x6
80s x6

Bench:
bar x alot
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6x2x2

Lat Pulldown:
105x6
120x6
135x6
150x6
165x6x2x2

Lots of people trying to get on the singular bench press at the gym today. Unfortunately I didn't get in to do my sets till practically the end of my workout. Made for a weak bench, I was kind of hoping to hit 225 today, but ah well. Got a PR on the DB rows.

Switched from doing the seated DB press to standing BB press. Doing my sets seated is no problem at all, but my issue is that when it comes to doing the clusters it ends up taking too much energy to actually get the DB's up into position. Doing overhead press in the rack means it starts out in position saving a little energy. Plus just looks cool when you're doing it.

GazzyG
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
You've got strong upper body movements, mate! Impressive benching and overhead pressing.

Rileigh
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
You've got strong upper body movements, mate! Impressive benching and overhead pressing.

Now to catch my lower body up to my upper body. :)

Rileigh
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Squats:
bar x10
135 x6
205 x6
225 x6
245 x6
265 x6x2(PR)

Calf Raises (leg press machine):
270 x10
360 x10
430 x10
450 x8x2x2(PR)

BB Curls:
40 x6
50 x6
60 x6
70 x6
80 x6

Decline Sit Ups:
BW x10
BW+25 x10
BW+35 x8
BW+35 x6x2x2

Lower Back Extensions:
BW x10
BW+10 x10
BW+25 x8
BW+35 x6x2x2(PR)

Was hoping to do some lightweight deadlifts from the floor today, but had an impromptu meeting called right before I left for the gym so didn't have time and just belted out the lower back extensions instead (and my lower back and core is what's holding my deadlift back anyway)

I'm doing this lower body workout twice a week. So my goal is to alternate, first day do heavy squats, light weight deadlifts from the floor. Second day is going to be heavier rack pulls and lightweight squats. The reason I mention this is because my squats aren't quite as low as they could be. I'm barely hitting parallel. So the light squat day is going to focused on really working on getting deep. The problem is if I start to get too deep with the heavy weight it's no my legs which is the problem, I tend to start bending at the lower back.

GazzyG
03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Good work on the squat PR. Sounds like a good idea alternating the squats and deads.

The lower back issue on the squats is very common.

Rileigh
03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Good work on the squat PR. Sounds like a good idea alternating the squats and deads.

The lower back issue on the squats is very common.

Thanks bro!

Rileigh
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Side/front Plank:
30 secs each side/front x2

Hanging Leg raises:
6 x3

Lat Shoulder Raises (machine):
110 x6
120 x6
130 x6
140 x6x2x2

Leg Curls (machine):
90 x6
100 x6
110 x6
120 x6x2x2

Decline Bench (smith):
bar x15
135 x15 x3

Just a quick workout for something to do. I'm going to keep doing light accessory work on wed's even though the program dictates this to be an off day.

Crazy burn on the decline bench!

Probably go back to the gym after work for some HIIT

GazzyG
03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Nice job getting in there and getting a session in. Diggin the ab work.

Rileigh
03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Nice job getting in there and getting a session in. Diggin the ab work.

Yeah trying to add some core strength, since I seem to have a weak core. Hopefully will help with deadlifts and squats.

Rileigh
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Lat Pulldown:
120 x6
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6x2x2

Bench:
165 x6
205 x6
215 x3 (couldn't get the fourth one, had to rack it or eat it lol)
215 x2 (assisted with spotter)

Tricep Pushdowns:
30 x6
50 x6
50 x6
60 x6

Dips
BW x6 x4

BB Bent over Rows:
70 x8
90 x8
110 x8 x2

DB Seated Shoulder Press
60s x6
65s x6
75s x6 (Had enough juice for another set of probably at least 4 but couldn't get them up to start the set)

Overall pretty weak gym day. Was really hoping to get 225 on Bench today, I know it's on the horizon. I'm thinking it's due to what's probably a fairly substantial calorie deficit this past week. Weather's been nice, been out for walks with the GF, I've also been throwing a lot HIIT cardio in, just mainly because I've had an hour to kill after work quite a bit this past week. That being said, my weight is only down about 1.5 lbs, according to the scales I've dropped about 1.5% body fat, and gained about 1% muscle. Doing the math, that actually makes a bit of sense if I'm doing this correctly: 1.5% ~3.35lbs, 1%=2.25 lbs. So I've lost 3.35lbs of fat and gained 2.25 lbs of muscle for a net loss of just over 1lb.

Anyway - thinking I may switch to 5 day HCT12 routine next week, kind of makes a bit more sense to stop doing all the heavy lifts twice (tho I'm still going to do deadlifts light/rack pulls heavy once per week, and squats light/heavy twice per week).

Rileigh
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
DB Curls:
30s x6
40s x6
45s x6 x3

Decline situps
BW x10
BW+35 x6
BW+35 x6
BW x10x2

Calf Raises (leg press machine):
270 x10
360 x10
410 x10
430 x10

Rack Pulls:
Bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
215 x2x2(pr)

Squats:
Bar x10
95 x10
135 x10

Felt good today. Really impressed with the rack pulls, that tells me that my back is really strengthening. I was able to do them with what I perceived to be excellent form (except the last 3 reps at 205) and no back pain. Excited to see how deadlifts feel next week. Squats also felt really good. I basically concentrated on getting as low as possible, my ass was probably only a foot off the floor (if that) for all those reps. Very interested to see what happens when I try squatting heavy next week too :)

As far as modifications to the program, I'm going to make a minor change starting next week for the upper body workouts, somewhat akin to the change to the lower body workouts. Instead of doing bench, and should press twice a week I'll do bench the first day, and no should press, and then shoulder press the second upper body workout and no bench (may through in a light close grip bench on shoulder day, and like a lat shoulder raise on bench day). This makes it somewhat similar to the 5/3/1 program with your main lifts on four different days during the week.

Final note, going to start taking a supplement somewhat similar to ALN's results. Called Muscle Synergy (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bev/syn.html). Going to start that on monday. Up until now the only thing I've been "supplementing" is protein a multi-vit and fish oil.

GazzyG
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Glad the training went well. Good job on the Rack Pull PR.

Hope mixing it up a bit works for you. I tend to find less volume on each day works well. Having one main lift each day as your focus with accessories does the job. My routine works out as:

Mon: Squat
Weds: Bench
Fri: DL
Sat or Sun: Dumbells

Very simple and gives me plenty of rest between each major lift. I wouldn't exactly call my routine HCT12 anymore though lol.

Rileigh
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Glad the training went well. Good job on the Rack Pull PR.

Hope mixing it up a bit works for you. I tend to find less volume on each day works well. Having one main lift each day as your focus with accessories does the job. My routine works out as:

Mon: Squat
Weds: Bench
Fri: DL
Sat or Sun: Dumbells

Very simple and gives me plenty of rest between each major lift. I wouldn't exactly call my routine HCT12 anymore though lol.

Yeah you've definitely made some major adjustments, and I can see how easy it would be for me to start doing the same thing - and more to the point - it would be fun. Part of me totally wants to start doing high weight singles and triples instead of trying for sets of 6 all the time (I could probably bench 250 for a single right now). However, while strength is certainly the end game goal, right now I've sorta started a slow cut, while trying to get in better cardio shape (summer is coming, more active I don't want to be huffing and puffing chasing my 4 year old around!). I actually kind of have half set in my mind I want to run a half marathon maybe by the end of the summer.

So with that in mind, I'm ok with slower strength progression, and the higher reps will certainly help more with the cutting then heavy singles and triples.

Rileigh
03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Bench:
135x10
185x6
205x6
225x4(pr)
225x2

DB Lat Shoulder raises:
10s x10
15s x6
20s x6
25s x6

Lat Pulldown:
120 x6
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6 x2 x2

Bent over Row (smith):
110 x8
130 x6
160 x6
180 x6(pr)
180 x2
180 x2

Dips:
BW x10
BW x8
BW x6
BW x4

225 on bench. :) yay! Started the supplement mentioned on my last log entry today. Had to take 8 gigantic horse pills this morning (definitely getting the powder next time). I wish I had of taken some to work because I guess there's a noticeable benefit to taking some of the daily dosage pre-workout. Will bring some for the rest of the week.

Coke
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Happy for you man, quite a milestone on the bench.

Rileigh
03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Happy for you man, quite a milestone on the bench.

Yeah, I'm very impressed with the progress. I was sort of depressed after last week, but after hitting that and now with this recent workout I'm feeling like a million bucks again.

Rileigh
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Squats:
Bar x10
135 x6
225 x6
245 x6
275 x4(pr)

Calfs (leg press):
270 x10
360 x10
450 x10
450 x10

Decline Situps:
BW x10
BW+25 x6
BW+35 x6
BW+45 x6x2x2

Deadlifts:
bar x10
95 x6
95 x6
135 x6
135 x6
135 x2
185 x2

BB Curls:
30s x6
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6 x2 x2

Great workout. Pr on the squats and the only thing that's really holding me back there is my lower back. I had no problem with that weight, but on the 5th rep there I must have started GMing it and my back just couldn't handle it and I had to drop the weight on the pins. Meh, it's definitely improving.

Also very impressed with the deadlifts from the floor. No back pain at all, was very conscious about keeping my back straight throughout the sets. So again my lower back is the limiting factor here and I think once it catches up with the rest of me I'll be pulling 300+ easily.

GazzyG
03-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Great work on the Bench and Squat PRs! Glad the deadlift's improving too!

Rileigh
03-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Great work on the Bench and Squat PRs! Glad the deadlift's improving too!

Rileigh
03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Sides/front planks 30sec each, 3 of each

Leg curls:
90 x6
100 x6
110 x6
120 x6 x2 x2

DB peck flys:
25s x15 x3

Back extensions:
bw x10
bw+25 x8
bw+25 x6
bw+25 x2 x2

Machine Tricep Extensions:
50 per arm x6
60 per arm x6
70 per arm x6
70 per arm x2 x2

Also tried a barbell complex from memory for giggles, forgot a couple exercises in it tho
50lb barbell
stiff legged deads x8
bent over rows x8
front squats x8
overhead press x8

Nothing special always try to keep it light and easy on wed.

LuNa
03-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Nice work all around Rileigh, especially the bench PR. Congrats!

Rileigh
03-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Nice work all around Rileigh, especially the bench PR. Congrats!

Thanks! That was my short term goal in starting this program. Now that I've hit that, I'm pretty content to maintain that and let my lower body catch up with my upper body. Which means.... Stay tuned.

Rileigh
03-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Strict DB Standing overhead Press(total weight not per arm for comparison reasons):
90 x6
100 x6
110 x6
130 x6 +2 +2(pr)

One arm DB Rows (each arm):
65 x6
70 x6
75 x6
80 x6 +2 +2

Lat Pull down:
120 x6
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6 +2 +2

Dips:
bw x10
bw x8
bw x7
bw x7

Decline BB Bench:
135 x10
155 x10
185 x8

Great workout, not surprised by the pr on the overhead press. I knew I had more in me the last time I did it. The fact that I was using dumbbells today just means that using the barbell next time will be that much easier. Should easily get 1pps next week.

Overall I'm satisfied with my upper body results for now. So I'm starting a slow cut (actually I kind of started without realizing it last week with the nice weather here in shiny Nova Scotia). My diet isn't going to change really, but I'm going to start adding some more cardio. I figure I can cut while maintaining my upper body strength and continue to gain lower body strength until my lower body catches up with my upper body.

That being said; interval sprints today after work. 40mins, 1 min sprint, 2 min recovery.

Edit: my goal weight is ~200lbs which should put me around 10% body fat.

Coke
03-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Great shoulder pressing and all bro.

Rileigh
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Great shoulder pressing and all bro.

Thanks! Once my core and stabilizing muscles build up a bit more I should be hitting 150 pretty easily I hope.

GazzyG
03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Good work, Rileigh. Strong overhead pressing there.

Rileigh
03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately was not able to get in the rack till my last exercise :(

calf raises (leg press machine):
270 x10
360 x10
450 x10
450 x10
450 x10

DB curls:
30s x6
40s x6
45s x6
50s x4 +2 +2(pr oooo)

Decline situps:
bw x10
bw+25 x6
bw+35 x6
bw+45 x6 +2 +2

<was waiting for the rack this entire time, still couldn't get in so did a mile run @ 10min/mi>

Rack Pulls:
135 x6
225 x4
225 x4
225 x5
245 x2 +2(pr)

Last workout day, first week taking Beverly International's Muscle Synergy (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/muscle-synergy.html). I have to say, I'm impressed. I don't know for sure if the results this week are due to this supplement, but I've gotten pr's on all my main lifts this week. I intend to take it for a month and see what the end results are.

GazzyG
03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Good work on the rack pulls, mate! 300 is right around the corner, betcha can smell it.

Rileigh
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Good work on the rack pulls, mate! 300 is right around the corner, betcha can smell it.

Thanks! Mostly preparatory work for real deadlifts. I may try starting out with deadlifts tomorrow and see how they feel. I might be able to start doing the real lifts this week (ie heavy deadlifts, heavy low squats vs heavy rack pulls/heavy barely low enough squats and light deadlifts, light ass to the ground squats).

Rileigh
03-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Incline DB Chest Press:
60s x6
70s x6
80s x6
85s x6
90s x4(pr)
90s x2
90s xfail (couldn't get them up into position)

Hammer Strength Triceps Extensions:
40s x6
50s x6
60s x6
70s x6 +2 +2

Lat Pulldown:
120 x6
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x4.5 +2 +2(pr)

One armed DB rows:
60 x6
65 x6
75 x6
75 x6 +2 +2

Happy with the DB work today. I decided to take a week off the traditional bench. I've always been strong with the DB's so just want to make sure I'm using them from time to time to keep those stabilizer muscles strong. Definitely a pr even from before when I was always using DB's. I was going to finish up with a quick BB bench session but ran out of time. PR on the lat pulldown was nice too. Once I can do 195 for 6 reps, my next increase will be to doing body weight pull ups finally. :p

GazzyG
03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Good exercise choices!

And I hear ya about trying to get the DBs into position for the press - it's a pain in the arse, lol.

Rileigh
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Squats:
bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x6
255 x6 +3 +3
135 x10

Decline Situps:
bw x10
bw+25 x6
bw+35 x6
bw+45 x6 +2 +2

DB Curls:
30s x6
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6 +3 +3

Calf Raises (machine):
160 (max) x10 x3

SLDL:
100 x6 x2
150 x6 x2

Mainly did the SLDL's to stretch my inflexible ass :p I intended to do squats all super low, but with weight. But when I got up to 255, I thought I didn't seem like I was as low as I would like. So did a set at 135 and sure enough I was not. I guess I just gradually stopping going as low as I increased the weight. I'll keep working on it.

GazzyG
03-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Good workout. You tried doing anything static leg stretching to aid your squat depth too? I found it helped me a lot.

Rileigh
03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Good workout. You tried doing anything static leg stretching to aid your squat depth too? I found it helped me a lot.

I've been doing nightly stretches to add to my flexibility.

I can get deep in there when I'm using lighter weights. Like with the last set of 135 there, my ass was barely a foot off the ground probably. I just subconsciously seem to creep back up when I start loading the weight on. I really think it's more a psychological thing then physical. I guess spending more time with lower weight and more gradual increases should help me get out of the habit of doing that.

GazzyG
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I've been doing nightly stretches to add to my flexibility.

I can get deep in there when I'm using lighter weights. Like with the last set of 135 there, my ass was barely a foot off the ground probably. I just subconsciously seem to creep back up when I start loading the weight on. I really think it's more a psychological thing then physical. I guess spending more time with lower weight and more gradual increases should help me get out of the habit of doing that.

Probably right mate, just the subconcious fear of getting buried under it lol.

Rileigh
03-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Probably right mate, just the subconcious fear of getting buried under it lol.

Today is my sort of go do whatever day (as long as it's light weight). So I'm going do some big sets (10+) of squats at 135, 155 and 185. I'll just keep really gradually increasing, try not to take big jumps like I did when I started.

Rileigh
03-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Planks:
Sides and front 35s each x2

DB Front raises:
15s x10
17.5s x10
20s x10

DB Lat Raises:
15s x10
17.5s x10
20s x10

Bench
135 x10 x5 (messing around with different grips and form)

Leg Curls:
90 x6
100 x6
110 x6
120 x6

Lower Back Extensions:
bw+25 x8
bw+35 x8
bw+35 x6

Weighted Crunch Machine
bw+20 x10
bw+30 x10
bw+40 x10

So, I definitely feel like I was on the right track yesterday with the SLDL's. Holy hell my hamstrings were feeling it today. Definitely going to keep those in on squat day.

Meant to do some light weight squatting again today, but there was a group of people deadlifting in the rack, so didn't get a chance. Messed around with my grip on bench, tried a few different ones to see how they feel. Came to the conclusion that I should probably use a closer grip. Will try next week :)

GazzyG
03-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Nice varied session. Liking the core work.

Rileigh
03-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Fucking killer workout - so pumped right now and excited to write this!

Strict Barbell overhead press:
bar x15
95 x6
115 x6
135 x4
135 x2
145 x1.5(pr) (really tried to get that full second rep but stuck half way up in spite of holding it there and pushing at it for probably 3-5 seconds)

BB bent over Rows/Bench Supersets:
135 rowsx6 benchx10
155 rowsx6 benchx6
165 rowsx6 bench x6
175 rowsx5(pr) benchx4
175 rowsx2 +2

Lat Pulldown:
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x5 +2 +2(rep pr)

Dips:
bw x10
bw x9
bw x5
bw x5.5

Felt super strong today. I did the bench/bent over rows super sets because I wanted to practice my closer grip that I'm going to use for monday. It felt really good. Basically did my 6 rows standing over the bench, then racked it, laid down and did as many presses as I could.

I have numerous sample supplements at home that I've decided to give a shot. So today in addition to my normal supplement I take as sort of a pre-workout (technically it's not a pre-workout and I really don't notice a difference between whether I take it pre-workout or not, but it has l-arginine, HMB and creatine and I have to take a second dose at some point during the day so it may as well be pre-workout (ps holy run on sentance, I may as well make it longer by pointing that out)), I took a single dose of this ephedrine free fat burning supplement sample I had. It has caffeine, Niacin, green tea, taurine, carnitine and a bunch of other stuff that probably doesn't do much. So stacking the two probably made a pretty potent pre-workout. Felt good, but I'm not going to make a habit of it just because I'm trying to stay away from stimulants. The sample had two doses, so will use the second tomorrow and see if it really was the addition of this that caused the extra energy.

Coke
03-29-2012, 10:08 PM
You ought to be well pleased dude, impressive outing indeed.

Rileigh
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Deads:
135 x6
155 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x5 +2 +2

Calfs
xxx x10 x3 - I'm not concerned about these since I've been 'barefoot' running. Just did them quick with enough weight to work em a bit

DB curls:
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6
50s x5 +2 +2

Squats:
135 x10
155 x10
175 x10
185 x10

Took the other dose of that fat burning sample today. Energy level was no where near where it was yesterday which means that thing had nothing to do with it.

Very happy with the deadlifts. First time since week 1 attempting to lift heavy from the floor and it worked out well.

Squats I'm sort of resetting. Going to do a much slower progression to get over my 'fear' of going deep with heavy weight. 185 was max weight today, tuesday is squat day so I'll go up to 205, and just increase it slowly like that. I really concentrated on bending at the hips as I went down and that seemed to help getting nice and deep.

Rileigh
03-30-2012, 11:32 AM
You ought to be well pleased dude, impressive outing indeed.

Thanks Coke. Surprising how happy I was with that performance yesterday! Was on cloud 9 for the rest of the day.

Rileigh
04-03-2012, 05:14 AM
BB Bench Press:
135 x6
185 x6
205 x5
205 x3
215 x3 +2 +2

DB One Arm Rows:
65s x6
70s x6
75s x6
80s x6
85s x6 +2+2(pr)

Dips:
bw x10
bw x10
bw x6
bw x6

Lat Pull Down:
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x5 +2+2

Pec Flies (machine):
70 x10
100 x10
130 x6
160 x6
205 x5 +2+2

Hammer Str Incline Press:
90 x10
180 x6
180 x4
180 x4
180 x3

Was a weird day yesterday. I forgot my shorts at home, so was all ready headed down to the gym at around 12:30 only to have to come back up to work. Got the gf to drop me off a pair of shorts around 1:30. Since I was off at 3:30 anyway, just waited until 2:30 went to the gym and stayed there till 4:30. So had a bit longer in the gym then normal.

Not overly concerned with the reduction of weight on bench (last bb bench was 225). Ate like shit all weekend, including getting very very drunk saturday night and spending all day sunday hung over. Combine that with a new grip....

Also spent the last 35 mins running/jogging. 5.5mph avg. Also started doing some yoga last night. Think I'm going to do it in the evenings 3 days a week or so. Help with flexibility.

Rileigh
04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Squats:
bar x10
135 x6
155 x6
185 x6
185 x6
205 x6
205 x6

Calf Raises (machine):
160 x10 x3

SLDL:
120 x8
130 x6
140 x6
140 x6

DB Curls:
30s x6
40s x6
45s x6
50s x5 +2 +2

Weighted Crunch Machine thing:
bw+20 x10
bw+40 x10 x3

Overall good workout. Squats felt good, definitely nice and low. Will continue with the slow increases to hopefully get over what I believe to be psychological barrier keeping me from going low enough when I use heavier weight.

Beast
04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Nice squatting, bro. I definitely hear you about the psych component of weight. Amazing, isn't it? Sometimes what works is adjusting your rep scheme and just throwing on the heavier weight, while dealing with the lower reps. Another thing is just walking away from that particular exercise for a few weeks, and coming back reinvigorated. This has worked for me in the past.

GazzyG
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Great training, Rileigh.

Beast is definitely right - there's a huge psychological component. But I don't think it's something you just get over - for me it's still there every time I get under a new weight lol.

Rileigh
04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Nice squatting, bro. I definitely hear you about the psych component of weight. Amazing, isn't it? Sometimes what works is adjusting your rep scheme and just throwing on the heavier weight, while dealing with the lower reps. Another thing is just walking away from that particular exercise for a few weeks, and coming back reinvigorated. This has worked for me in the past.

Great training, Rileigh.

Beast is definitely right - there's a huge psychological component. But I don't think it's something you just get over - for me it's still there every time I get under a new weight lol.

Thanks guys! It's coming along for sure. I'm sort of doing what you suggested Beast. Kind of deloading it for a few weeks. So far it's been feeling pretty good. We'll see what happens next week when I start getting into the 225+ range. :)

Rileigh
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
DB Strict Overhead Press:
(total weight, not per hand)
100 x6
120 x6
140 x4
140 x3 (rep pr)

Lat Pull down:
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x6 +2 +2 (rep pr)

Bent Over Rows (smith machine):
105 x6
125 x6
155 x6
175 x6 +2 +2 (rep pr)

Triceps Rope Pull Downs:
30 x6
40 x6
50 x6
60 x6
70 x4 +2 +2

Tweaked my shoulder a little bit (probably cleaning the dumbells up to my shoulders for the press) so skipped dips and did the rope pulls instead as it felt a little easier on the shoulder.

Took a sample pre-workout today I had. Mutant Rage. Meh, no real noticeable effects as far as I'm concerned (I don't think the rep pr's could be attributed to that, tho I could be wrong). I only really took it for the creatine because I'm out of the other creatine supplement I was taking and the new order will be in any day now (I hope).

Oh and Wed is normally a light core/accessory day but with the holiday and the fact that we're going away on friday I'm condensing the days this week.

Coke
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Fine effort overall R.

Rileigh
04-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Fine effort overall R.

Thanks bro!

Did notice any pain in the should again until this morning when I first got up. Did a few stretches and the pain went away. Luckily today is deadlift day so nothing too strenuous for the shoulder and then it's a four day weekend. :)

LuNa
04-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Good to hear the shoulder felt better after stretching.

Im truly looking forward to the long weekend :).

Rileigh
04-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Deads:
135 x6
185 x6
205 x5
225 x4
245 x3
265 x2(pr)
265 x1 +fail (was trying for another double)

DB Curls:
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6
50s x5 +2 +2

Decline situps:
bw x10
bw+25 x8
bw+35 x6
bw+45 x6

Squats:
135 x6 x2
185 x6
135 x6 x2

Skipped calfs because I was punched for time and realistically I get a pretty good calf workout every time I run using these barefoot running shoes. I usually run ~3.5m 3 or 4 times a week (so far I'm at 2 this week, but will be going for at least one run and probably a bike ride this weekend).

Quick question on deadlifts, when doing sets of multiple lifts. Do you guys put the weight down on the ground after each rep? Or do you take it down almost to the ground and then raise it back up. I had been doing the latter (not putting it down completely) but on the 245 and 265 sets I actually put it on the ground for a split second before lifting it for the next rep.

Rileigh
04-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Was away for most of the weekend, so didn't get a chance to hit the gym at all. Did end up going for a 3.5mi run Friday and then a 5.5mi run Saturday (2.5mi to the beach, .5 mi on the beach, then 2.5mi back).

Back to the gym today after a nice four day rest. Upper body deload I think this week. Not concerned with deloading lower body as I'm not lifting overly heavy there yet.

Rileigh
04-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Bench
135 x10 x2
155 x10
155 x7 x2
135 x10

Lat Pulldown:
135 x10 x3
135 x7 x3

DB Rows:
55 x10 x5

Hammer Str Tricep Ext:
40s x10 x2
50s x10 x3

As mentioned before, going for a deload/volume week for upper body. Felt good, has a pretty good pump on when I left the gym.

Alex.V
04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
D

Quick question on deadlifts, when doing sets of multiple lifts. Do you guys put the weight down on the ground after each rep? Or do you take it down almost to the ground and then raise it back up. I had been doing the latter (not putting it down completely) but on the 245 and 265 sets I actually put it on the ground for a split second before lifting it for the next rep.

For what it's worth, I always do a full reset on every rep.

Rileigh
04-11-2012, 07:00 AM
For what it's worth, I always do a full reset on every rep.

Cool thanks.

I was worried that letting the weight hit the floor like that for a split second was cheating, but if that's the norm, then that's the norm.

Rileigh
04-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Calves (machine):
Max x10 x until they felt a lil sore

Decline situps:
bw x10
bw+25 x10
bw+35 x10
bw+45 x6 +2+2

DB Curls:
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6 x2 +3+3

SLDL
100 x10 x4

Squats:
bar xbunch
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x6
225 x4 x4

Squats felt great today, I wanted to increase the weight but I'm holding to commitment to progress slowly. So I did 5 sets at 225. :) Now as I sit here writing this, wow can I ever feel it in my quads.

Tried running yesterday after work. Found my foot was a little sore, toward the front when my toes bent up. Called it quits after a mile and biked instead. I went for a hike on monday through some rough, rocky terrain, I think I must have strained it a bit or something during the hike. Will give it a rest for a few days and try again.

Beast
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Now as I sit here writing this, wow can I ever feel it in my quads.

Best feeling ever, haha. Nice squatting. For what it's worth, I agree with Belial on resetting during DLs. I feel like not doing it is almost cheating, since some people have a tendency of bouncing the thing off the ground on each rep.

Rileigh
04-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Best feeling ever, haha. Nice squatting. For what it's worth, I agree with Belial on resetting during DLs. I feel like not doing it is almost cheating, since some people have a tendency of bouncing the thing off the ground on each rep.

I see what you're saying. I was actually stopping just short of hitting the ground and then coming back up. I'll reset next deadlift day. Thanks!

Rileigh
04-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Back to the gym after work - normally I'd do cardio for 40-50mins, instead I did my normal core/accessory day that I would normally do on wed (four day weeks have got me all messed up)

Leg Raises:
bw x10 x3

Lower Back extensions:
bw x10
bw+20 x10
bw+45 x8

BB complex:
SLDL's
Bent over rows
Overhead Press
Squats
8 reps per exercise
3 sets (60lbs first set, 70lbs last two sets)
1-2 min rest between sets

Leg Curls:
90 x8
100 x8
110 x8 x2

Machine Pec Fly's:
145 x8
170 x8
205 x8

Windshield Wipers:
bw x12 x4

I tried hanging windshield wipers at first and that just wasn't happening haha. So I did pussy ones laying down on a mat. :p

Rileigh
04-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Keeping with the higher volume/deload for upper body....

BB Standing (strict) oh press:
95 x10
100 x10 x2
100 x7 x2

Lat Pulldowns:
135 x10 x2
135 x8
105 x10 x2

Hammer Str Triceps ext:
40s x10
50s x10 x4

[BB bent over rows]/[Close Grip Bench] Supersets:
100 lb barbell
10 reps each per set x4 sets

Love those super sets, my arms are like jelly right now (lifting them to button the top button of my shirt was difficult lol). At the same time they feel massive. I have to say, I like the feel of the extra volume. I may have to start doing this more often.

Coke
04-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Looks good man, back at it.

Rileigh
04-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Deads:
135 x6
205 x6
255 x4
275 x2
275 x2(pr)
295 xfail couldn't lock it out should have gone with 285 but there wasn't 2 5lb plates nearby

Calves:
10 reps x3 sets

DB Curls:
35s x6
40s x6
50s x5
50s x4 +2 +2

Weighted Crunch thing:
bw+30 x10
bw+35 x10
bw+35 x10
bw+45 x10

Hanging Leg Raises:
bw x10
bw x8
bw x8

Leg Press:
270 x10
360 x6
410 x6 +2 +2

Beast
04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Deads:
135 x6
205 x6
255 x4
275 x2
275 x2(pr)
295 xfail couldn't lock it out should have gone with 285 but there wasn't 2 5lb plates nearby

You'll get it next time, bro. Nice curlz, btw.

Rileigh
04-16-2012, 07:06 PM
You'll get it next time, bro. Nice curlz, btw.

Yeah for sure. Milking the newb gains on my lower body right now formally their worth. Excited for a 3pps deadlift!

Rileigh
04-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Bench:
135*6
185*6
205*6
225*3
225*2
225*2(volume pr)

Lat pulldowns:
130*6
145*6
160*6
175*6
190*5+2+2(pr)

Close grip bench:
95*6
105*6
115*6
135*6
155*6
165*6(pr)

Lat db shoulder raises:
10s*6
15s*6
17.5s*6
20s*6
22.5s*6+2+2

Db rows:
65*6
70*6
75*6
80*6
85*6+2+2

A triple and 2 doubles @ 225. Pretty happy! Close grip bench felt really good too!

Coke
04-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Nice job throughout bro.

Rileigh
04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Squats:
bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x6
245 x4
245 x5
245 x2
245 x3

DB SLDL:
60s x6
65s x6
70s x6
70s x6

Calves:
165 x10 x3

DB Curls:
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6
50s x5 +2 +2

Decline situps:
bw x10
bw+35 x10
bw+35 x8
bw+35 x8

Squats are coming along, almost back to where I was. I was messing around with some goblet squats last week too as an assistance exercise, think I'm going to work those into my routine on deadlift days.

LuNa
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Great work Rileigh, congrats on all the PR's.

Beast
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Nice squatting!

Rileigh
04-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Great work Rileigh, congrats on all the PR's.

Nice squatting!

Thanks!

Work Out:
Superset - front plank 35s/planks 35s each side/laying windhield wipers x12
3 sets

Leg curls:
90 x8
100 x8 x2
110 x8

DB Shrugs:
75s x10
85s x10 x3

DB Pec Flys:
25s x8
30s x8
35s x8 x2

Hanging Leg raises/lower back ext/sides ext supersets
bw x8/bw x10/bw x10/bw x10
bw x8/bw+25 x8/bw+10 x8/bw+10 x8
bw x8/bw+35 x8/bw+25 x8/bw+35 x8

Last super sets were killer, but I can feel my core getting stronger everyday. Since I feel that this is what's holding me back on some of my main lifts I'm pretty happy with this workout.

Rileigh
04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I think I should just post a summary of what my routine has evolved into since I started.

I've made a few modification to the HCT12 routine. I'm maintaining the general structure of the four day HCT12 workout. The four days are as follows:
mon - 1A
Tue - 1B
Wed - C
Thurs - 2A
Fri - 2B

Each of the primary A and B workouts focuses on one major lift (ala 5/3/1):
1A = Bench
1B = Squat
2A = Standing Overhead Press
2B = Deadlift

These major lifts are done first following the same rep/set structure more or less as outline in HCT12 (I generally don't bother with many low weight warm up sets, but do ramp up my work sets and do the clusters). The other exercises performed during these workouts are exactly what HCT12 outlines, so for workout 1A I would add a horizontal pull, vertical pull and a triceps exercise, I may or may not add a light vertical pressing exercise (for volume) depending on how I feel.

That same principal holds true for the other workouts. The point of this is so that I'm performing my main lifts once a week and assistance lifts twice a week usually. Also giving myself the option of potentially eliminating one exercise from a workout helps quite a bit when I'm punched for time and allows me to focus my time on my main lift for that day instead of rushing to get everything in.

The other addition is a workout C, which is basically a do whatever day. I'm so used to going to the gym on my lunch at work now that I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't go. So I use this day to get in exercises I wouldn't normally get in during my other workouts. I also do a lot of core work on this day as that tends to be a weak spot for me.

Coke
04-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm so used to going to the gym on my lunch at work now that I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't go.

That is awesome, the feeling of being on autopilot cannot be beat. Way to be making it happen!

Rileigh
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
That is awesome, the feeling of being on autopilot cannot be beat. Way to be making it happen!

Indeed it's definitely turned into a routine for me at this point. I'm interviewing for a new job next week and if I get the position I may end up switching companies. Hopefully it doesn't fuck with my routine too much!

Workout:
Lat Pulldown:
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x6
195 x4(pr)

BB Strict Standing OHP:
bar x10
95 x6
115 x6
135 x2
135 x1
135 x1

BB Bent over rows/Close grip bench super sets:
135 x6/x6
155 x6/x6
165 x6/x6
175 x5.5/x6(pr for close grip bench)

Decline Bench (smith):
85 x10
105 x8
155 x8
155 x8

135 ohp felt really heavy today for some reason. I was semi-deloading upper body last week, and the week before I guess was when I lifted 135 for almost full reps and then did a few doubles or singles at 145. So a little disappointed there, but I guess the pr's in other places make up for it. Also my weight is down to 219 so hopefully I don't see many other str drops. I'm hoping to get down to 200 or below without a significant str loss.

I know I have more in me with close grip bench, 175 was tough (especially after a set of rows), but wasn't that tough. Next week on overhead press day I'll try doing them on their own and see how far I can go with them. I think keeping them in my routine will definitely translate really well to my regular bench too since I keep my elbows tucked really well doing them.

Rileigh
04-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Deads:
135 x6
225 x6
275 x3
295 x2
305 x1.75 (couldn't lock out the second)
305 x1
305 x1(pr)
225 x6

Decline situps:
bw x10
bw+35 x10
bw+45 x10
bw+45 x8 +2 +2 (rep/volume pr)

Calves:
10reps x3 sets machine

DB Curls:
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6

DB Goblet Squats:
40 x10
55 x10
60 x10
=tanked

Unreal workout today. 30lb pr on deadlifts (tho last week 295 almost went up) felt amazing. 3 pps next week for sure. Goblet squats are killer. I swear after that last set my heart rate must have been well over 190. I've seen it get up to mid-180s during intense cardio, but rarely gets that high lifting (maybe during high rep squats). I really like them tho, I think they'll translate into better squat form when I do regular squats.

Coke
04-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Very interesting to see the goblet squats, good deal on those and the huge new deadlifting PR.

LuNa
04-21-2012, 03:17 AM
That is a huge DL PR. Nice work.

Rileigh
04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Sick as a dog today, I'm at work but have absolutely nothing for energy. Have an insanely sore throat and I feel like I've developed a fever. Hopefully will get a few sessions in later this week.

Thanks for encouragement guys!

Rileigh
04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Last week was a complete write off. That was one fierce cold I had. I wasn't sick to my stomach at all, but had no apatite. Lost close to 10 lbs (was down to 216 as of sunday morning). Still a little stuffy today, but nothing too serious so back at it today to see where I'm at.

Lat Pulldowns:
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x6+2+2

Dips:
bw x10
bw x6
bw x6
bw x6

Hammer Str Pulldown (was waiting for the bench to be free):
130 x15
130 x10
130 x10

Bench:
Bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x4 - was a bit too close to the rack and caught the rack slightly on the way up on my fourth rep so racked it
225 x1.5 - failed on the second rep half way up, wouldn't go any further

One armed DB Rows:
65 x6
70 x6
75 x6
80 x6

DB lat raises:
15 x6
20 x6
25 x6
30 x4.5

All in all I feel pretty good about this workout, not quite 100%, but the week off and cold doesn't seem to have taken too much out of me.

GazzyG
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Great work with the Deadlift PR, mate! 3pps soon for sure!

Don't sweat the weights this week, it usually takes a few days to bounce back from a bout of illness.

Rileigh
05-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Great work with the Deadlift PR, mate! 3pps soon for sure!

Don't sweat the weights this week, it usually takes a few days to bounce back from a bout of illness.

Thanks Gaz, I keep telling myself to take it easy but when I get in there I just always feel like going all out.

Workout yesterday:

Decline Situps:
bw x10
bw+25 x10
bw+35 x10
bw+45 x10

Squats:
135 x10
185 x6
205 x6
205 x6
225 x6
135 x10

DB Curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x3

SLDL:
110 x8x6

Couldn't remember where I was in squat progression. 225 felt good and heavy enough. In looking back I had done 245 the last full week, so next week I'll go for 245-265, we'll see how it goes.

GazzyG
05-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Great squatting, bud, liking the set of ten to finish off, bit of surplus energy eh lol?

Rileigh
05-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Great squatting, bud, liking the set of ten to finish off, bit of surplus energy eh lol?

I sort of like the idea of a deload set after your final workset. I'm going to try and start integrating that in my major lifts more often. Sort of like a cool down, add some extra volume.

Beast
05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I sort of like the idea of a deload set after your final workset. I'm going to try and start integrating that in my major lifts more often. Sort of like a cool down, add some extra volume.

Same here. I do it nearly every time. It's cool and motivating to see how light the weight feels after a heavy set.

Rileigh
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Front and Side Planks/laying windshield wiper Supersets:
35s/12 x3

lwr back extensions/each side extensions super sets (30 reps per set total):
bw+25/bw x10
bw+35/bw+10 x10
bw+35/bw+10 x10
bw+45/bw+25 x6

Leg Curls:
90 x10
100 x10
110 x6
120 x4

DB Pec Flys/tri extensions (20 reps total per set):
25s x10
30s x10
35s x10

Shrugs (standing over the hammer str flat bench machine):
180 x10
180 x10
230 x10
230 x10

Still feeling a bit of congestion, all these high rep sets gets me breathing heavily and I can really feel it then slightly. Going to try some light cardio after work on the stationary bike and see how it goes.

Rileigh
05-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Same here. I do it nearly every time. It's cool and motivating to see how light the weight feels after a heavy set.

Yeah for sure, also adds a little more volume.

Rileigh
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
OH Press:
bar x10
95 x8
115 x6
135 x4
135 x2
135 x1
95 x7

Decline Bench (smith):
105 x10
155 x10
195 x6
195 x6
105 x10

Hammer str front pull down:
70s x6
80s x6
90s x6
100s x6
110s x6

BB Bent rows/close grip bench superset:
135 x6/x6
155 x6/x6
175 x6/x5
185 x4.5/x5(pr!)
135 x5/x6

Great workout today! Stuffyness is all but gone. Everything felt strong. I had a 2 serving sample of a razor 8 blast powder pre-workout I took today and yesterday. Doubt that made any difference.

LuNa
05-04-2012, 03:38 AM
Nice work. Congrats on the PR.

Doing a light set after your heavier work is a good idea.

Rileigh
05-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Nice work. Congrats on the PR.

Doing a light set after your heavier work is a good idea.

Thanks!

It's tough sometimes to get back under there after the last work set and you just feel like you're done. But I think it's worth it.

Rileigh
05-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Decline Situps:
bw x10
bw+35 x10
bw+45 x10 x2

Calves (45 degree leg press):
270 x15
360 x12 x3

Deads:
135 x6
225 x6
295 x2
315 x1(pr)
315 xfail at lockout
135 x6

DB curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x3

DB Goblet Squats:
40 x10
50 x10
60 x10
70 x10(pr)

I'm really starting to like deadlift day. This workout feels intense, like I work up a good sweat doing this. Killed the deadlift PR, got it up pretty easily the first time. So I tried for another single and it wasn't happening. Still lower back holding me up.

Took the goblet squats really slow this time, like 2-5 mins between sets. They destroy me. But I'm able to do them completely ATF. I go down until I can get my elbows between my knees.

Coke
05-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Nice job throughout, glad you are digging the deads these days.

Rileigh
05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Missed monday - spent all weekend moving to a new house and getting things situated on monday. Ate junk the entire weekend too. :(

Anyway... workout:

Lat Pulldown:
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x6
195 x4

DB Lat shoulder raises:
15s x6
20s x6
25s x6
30s x5

BB Bench:
bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x4 (rep pr)
225 x2
135 x10

Dips:
bw x6 x4

One arm'd DB Rows:
70 x6
75 x6
80 x6
85 x6

Definite gain on bench. 225 went up easy for those 4 reps. Weight pr is on the horizon there. Kind of weak on the dips, but I guess that can't be helped right after doing bench.

Will make up my core workout that I normally do wed, after my squats tomorrow to get my regular 5 days of lifting in. I feel like my core is probably my weakest link in a lot of lifts so I think it's important to keep an exclusive core workout in my routine rather then skip it.

Beast
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Strong benching. Grats on the PR.

I'm moving in June... hate moving, even though I own, like, few actualy stuff to move. New job or something?

Coke
05-08-2012, 07:00 PM
God bless your new home man.

GazzyG
05-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Hope the move went well and you settle quickly in new place.

Really good training sessions - good work on the benching and on the DL PR!

Rileigh
05-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Hope the move went well and you settle quickly in new place.

Really good training sessions - good work on the benching and on the DL PR!

We have a bedroom filled with boxes that have stuff (junk lol) that needs a home, but other then that all other parts of the house are all neat and tidy and liveable :) Thanks Gaz, I'm actually very happy about the bench PR. It wasn't something I expected or was concerned about (I'm really concentrating on trying to get my lower body caught up to my upper body).

God bless your new home man.

Thanks Coke :)

Strong benching. Grats on the PR.

I'm moving in June... hate moving, even though I own, like, few actualy stuff to move. New job or something?

Thanks!

Nope same job, we were in an apartment and wanted to get out of the city. We're still renting since my job is a renewable contract type deal with the government. Don't want to buy until I land a perm position either with the government or elsewhere (if a good opportunity came up on the other side of the country I want to be able to take it without the hassle of having a house to sell). Either way, we're renting a house now for only 50$ more per month then we were paying for a 2 bedroom apartment in the city. :)

Rileigh
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Decline situps:
bw+45 x12 x4

DB Curls:
35s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x3
55s x2

BB Squats:
135 x10
205 x6
225 x6
245 x6
245 x4
135 x10

SLDL:
120 x8
140 x6
150 x6

Next week should be a pr for squats - my previous best was 265 with poor form. I still wouldn't say my form is perfect but it's definitely much improved. So if I do 265 next week with proper form I'm calling that a PR. ;)

Going back to the gym after work to do a core workout (what would normally be my day 3 workout).

GazzyG
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Great squatting, Rileigh!

Rileigh
05-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Great squatting, Rileigh!

Thanks!

Workout from yesterday after work:

Lower back exts/side extensions/Hanging leg raises supersets:
bw+25 x10/bw+10 x10/x10
bw+35 x10/bw+10 x10/x10
bw+45 x10/bw+25 x10/x10
bw+50 x10/bw+25 x10/x10

Leg curls:
90 x10
100 x8
110 x6
120 x6

Shrugs:
180 x12
270 x10 x3

Was pretty drained by the time I got to this workout. I think because I had eaten significantly less during the day (had only had about 400 cal by this time and it was 4p!). So was a very quick workout haha.

LuNa
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Thats a great little session. Better load up on the food to get ready for the squat PR!

Rileigh
05-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Thats a great little session. Better load up on the food to get ready for the squat PR!

Definitely pumped for the next squat session!

Workout yesterday afternoon:

Hammer Str pulldown:
80s x8
90s x6
100s x6
110s x6
120s x3

BB Rows/Close grip bench:
bar x10/x10
135 x6/x6
155 x6/x6
175 x6/x6

BB Overhead Press:
Bar x10
95 x6
115 x4
135 x2
135 x1.5
135 xfail
95 x5

Tri Rope Pulldowns:
60 x6
80 x6
90 x6
100 x6
120 x5

Unfortunately similar situation as yesterday. I got pulled away for a big meeting at around 11a, stuck in it till 3p, then went to the gym around 4:30. Lack of food, felt pretty drained again. I stopped the row/close grip superset early because the cage became available and didn't want to get stuck waiting for it again. I would have liked to hit 185 or more. I think next week on oh press day I'll skip the super set and try the exercises individually and see where they're at.

Rileigh
05-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Calfs:
3 x10

Deads:
135 x10
225 x6
295 x3
315 x1
345 xfail
345 xfail
135 x10

DB Curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x3

45 degree leg press:
180 x10
270 x6 x2

Decline situps:
bw+45 x10
bw+45 x15
bw+45 x15
bw+45 x10

DB Goblet Squats:
bw+50 x10 x3

Oh 345 was soooo close. I figured I'd rest a few minutes and try it again, barely got it 6 inches off the ground the second time lol. It was a huge increase I know. But 315 went up easy, I didn't do more then 1 because I wanted to save my energy for a PR. Ended up going to 335 would have been a lot of hunting for plates and switching stuff around, where as 345 was easier to setup so just went for it. I'm sure 335 would have gone up easily.

Coke
05-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Real fine with the training, 345 deads won't be nothing in just a bit.

Rileigh
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Real fine with the training, 345 deads won't be nothing in just a bit.

Thanks. Will be awesome when I hit 4pps.

Rileigh
05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Bench:
bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x3
225 x2
135 x10

Lat Pulldown:
135 x6
150 x6
165 x6
180 x6

DB Lat should raises:
15s x8
20s x8
25s x6
30s x3

DB one arm'd rows:
70 x6
75 x6
80 x6
85 x6

Hammer Str Tri ext:
40s x8
50s x8
60s x6
70s x6

Nothing special there, but it was a solid workout and I really feel stronger on bench.

I had ordered ~2 months worth of Nitrean and Results here a few weeks ago and shipped it to maine (I live in Nova Scotia). This past weekend I made the venture to get that stuff along with some photography equipment and a new hampshire shopping trip. Left around 6a sat morning, got back 6:45p mon night. Spent about 150$ in gas, and 100$ in a motel for 2 days. Saved ~200 in shipping for the photography equipment and 70$ in shipping for the supplements (and duty/customs fees on the photography equipment). Plus got some great deals in New Hampshire too. Point is, I'm now taking results and Nitrean. :p But also spent most of the weekend on the road eating junk food.

Rileigh
05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Calves:
270 x12 x2
360 x12 x2

Decline Situps:
bw x15
bw+45 x10 x3

Squats:
bar x10
135 x10
185 x6
225 x6
245 x6
265 x5 (PR)
265 x3
135 x10

DB Curls:
35s x6
40s x6
45s x6
55s x4

SLDL:
110 x8 x4

Happy with the squat progression, I really feel like I'm starting to hit my actual max now. Some of those reps were really slow getting up and out. I've done 265 before but wasn't at proper depth so I'm calling this a pr. :p Was running out of time at the end and had to rush the SLDL's with low weight and the fixed bb. I just like doing them for the stretch mainly anyway.

Coke
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
I live in Nova Scotia

Damn, didn't realize you were not actually in the states.

At a new level with the squats, glad to see it bro.

Beast
05-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Grtas on the PR! How is Nova Scotia?

Rileigh
05-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Damn, didn't realize you were not actually in the states.

At a new level with the squats, glad to see it bro.

Thanks, and yeah I'm a Canadian. Though I don't really have the accent. Most Americans I've talked to can't tell unless I say 'out' or 'about'. haha.

Grtas on the PR! How is Nova Scotia?

Thanks! NS is good, a little chilly perhaps in the winter, but that's what snowboarding is for. Actually last winter I don't think we had snow on the ground for more then a 2-3 weeks total. Wasn't a very cold winter. NS is basically Maine with more ocean.

Rileigh
05-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Lat Pulldown:
150 x6
165 x6
180 x6
195 x3

BB OH press:
bar x10
95 x6
115 x6
135 x3
135 x2
95 x6

BB Bent Rows:
135 x6
155 x6
185 x6
195 x3(pr)
135 x6

BB Close grip Bench:
135 x6
155 x6
185 x6
205 x3 (pr) (almost ate the third rep, but powered it up)
135 x8

Smith Decline Bench:
115 x10
165 x6
185 x6
205 x6

Felt this workout in the shoulders, wow. I put my shirt on after the workout and went to fix the collar and literally couldn't lift my arms to fix it. Had to sit down for a few minutes and then do it. lol.

I sort of figured I'd see pr's today on the BB rows and close grip bench, since for the past couple weeks I'd always done these two exercises together as supersets. But I think close grip bench being only 20lbs behind my regular bench is pretty impressive.

GazzyG
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Brilliant workout, mate. Good work with the PRs.

Beast
05-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Must have huge tris, bro!

Rileigh
05-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Brilliant workout, mate. Good work with the PRs.

Must have huge tris, bro!

Thanks guys. I'd like to think they're getting pretty big haha, not compared to some tho. They are definitely my most defined muscle (my shoulders and back being a close second).

Went back to the gym yesterday after work and did my core workout (would have done this yesterday except I had a big meeting that went long)

workout:
weighted lower back exts:
bw+25 x10
bw+35 x10
bw+45 x10
bw+70 x10

Weighted side exts:
bw+10 x10 x2
bw+25 x10
bw+35 x8

Hanging leg raises:
bw x10 x4

Leg curls
90 x4 (staying light since it was under 24 hours till deadliftt workout)

Pull Ups:
bw x5
bw x3 x3

DB incline bench:
60s x6
70s x6

Pretty impressed that I can do a few pullups. The first set of 5 reps was actually close grip (chin ups?). I was just curious as to where I was at with this so decided to try the easier one first. It seemed easy enough so switched to pull ups. Great :)

When I was doing the db presses I had put the 70s back and grabbed the 80s. As I was walking back to my bench I had a weird sensation in my elbow/tri. Sort of like a muscle twitch/spasm. Didn't really hurt, just felt fucking weird sort of like hitting your funny bone. The muscle right behind my elbow (not my entire tri, actually right around where your funny bone is) just seemed to contract on it's own. Anyway, I put down the weights and then put them back one at a time using the other arm and then left. Seems fine now, no clue what that was.

Rileigh
05-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Decline situps:
bw x15
bw+45 x10
bw+45 x10
bw+55 x10

Calves:
270 x12
360 x12
450 x12 x2

Goblet Squats:
50 x10
60 x10
70 x10 x2

DB Curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6

Deadlifts:
135 x6
225 x4
275 x3
325 xfail x4 lol
315 x1
135 x6

The 225 was only for 4 because I sort of lost my form a bit on that rep and figured I'd just reset it.

Meh.... I literally tried to get 325 up 4 times before I gave up haha. It was so close, just as close as 345 was last week. I can get it up to the point where I'm pretty much upright there's just a slight bend at the hips. I just can't flex them out and lock it out. I think it should have been doable, combination of doing deadlifts last (bunch of people squatting for the first part of my workout) and doing my core workout yesterday which also ends up doing some lower back work.

Beast
05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that's the main reason why I'll just sit there and wait if there's no place to DL or squat, although you don't need much to do DLs. Those multiple isolation exercises beforehand will definitely get you.

Rileigh
05-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Yeah, that's the main reason why I'll just sit there and wait if there's no place to DL or squat, although you don't need much to do DLs. Those multiple isolation exercises beforehand will definitely get you.

Yeah the problem is with limited time on my lunch break I kind of have to get in there and get going asap if I'm getting everything done I want to get done.

Rileigh
05-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Went to the gym yesterday to make sure I didn't screw up my week:

Pull-ups:
bw x4
bw x3 x4

Hammer Str Pulldown: *adding volume
65s x6
75s x6
85s x6
95s x6

Bench:
bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x3
225 x2
135 x10

DB lat shoulder raises:
20s x6
25s x6
30s x6
35s x3

DB One armed rows:
70 x6
75 x6
80 x6
85 x6
90 x6(pr)

Hammer Str Triceps Ext:
60s x6
70s x6
80s x6 x2

GazzyG
05-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Good work on both sessions, mate. Don't sweat the deadlifts, gravity attacks happen sometimes.

Rileigh
05-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Squats:
135 x10
225 x6
245 x6
265 x6
275 x4 (pr)
275 x3
135 x10

Decline Situps:
bw x15
bw+45 x10
bw+45 x10
bw+55 x10

DB Curls:
35s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x4

SLDL:
120 x6 x3
140 x6

Beast
05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Nice squatting! /me wants as many PRs as you're getting.

Coke
05-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Major props, moving on strong dude!

LuNa
05-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Great PR on the squats Rileigh. Im sure you will kill those deads next time.

Rileigh
05-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Nice squatting! /me wants as many PRs as you're getting.

Major props, moving on strong dude!

Great PR on the squats Rileigh. Im sure you will kill those deads next time.

Thanks guys! A gain is a gain, but I'm expecting them to start slowing down soon. You'll probably have noticed all my gains pretty much are lower body gains, I haven't seen a bench gain in weeks now. I'm expecting to see fairly rapid gains up to around 325 or so on squats and 400 or so on deadlifts as my lower body and core catches up with my upper body.

Rileigh
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Lower Back Ext/side ext:
bw+25/bw+10 x10
bw+45/bw+10 x10
bw+55/bw+25 x10
bw+70/bw+35 x7

Hanging leg raises:
bw x10 x4

Leg Curls:
80 x10
90 x8
100 x6
110 x6
120 x6

DB Pec Flys:
25s x10 x2
30s x10 x2

Shrugs on hammer str bench:
(whatever weight was on there looked like ~250) x10 x3

Rileigh
05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
BB OH press:
bar x10
95 x6
115 x6
135 x6
145 x1 x2 (pr)
95 x8

Lat Pull down:
120 x6
140 x6
160 x6
180 x6

Dips:
bw x6 x2
bw+10 x6
bw+25 x6(pr)

BB bent over rows:
135 x6
155 x6
185 x5
185 x3
195 x3
135 x6

DB Decline Press:
40s x10
55s x8
65s x8

I had been doing dips for reps, decided to switch it up and start increase weight and capping it at 6 reps.

Coke
05-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Session looks really good, fine upper body day.

Beast
05-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Agreed! Good decision on adding weight to the dips, IMO.

Rileigh
05-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Agreed! Good decision on adding weight to the dips, IMO.

Session looks really good, fine upper body day.

Thanks guys!

Workout:
Deads:
135 x6
225 x6
315 x3
335 x1 x2(pr)
345 xfail (for fun)
225 x3
135 x10

Decline situps:
Bw x15
Bw+45 x10 x3

Db curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x3

Calves:
4 sets

Goblet squats:
45 x6
60 x6
70 x6
80 x6

Same switch with the goblet squats. Instead of doing them for reps increasing weight.

Coke
05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Got the goblet squats on lock, don't see much of that around here - need to be giving those a shot.

Nice job all around.

Rileigh
05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Got the goblet squats on lock, don't see much of that around here - need to be giving those a shot.

Nice job all around.

Yeah I love them. They really get the heart pumping - at least for me.

Rileigh
05-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Damn, hard to believe it's week 15 already.

Pull ups:
bw x5
bw x4
bw x4
bw x3

Bench:
135 x6
205 x6
225 x6
235 x3 (pr)
235 x2
135 x15

one armed DB Rows:
75 x6
80 x6
85 x6
90 x6

Dips:
bw x6
bw+35 x6
bw+35 x6
bw+45 x2(pr)

db Lat Should raises:
25s x6
35s x6 x2

I feel like I'm getting another cold again. This workout wiped me out even though in looking at it I don't feel like I got much volume in. At the same time got some nice pr's, really happy about the bench pr. :)

Spend the weekend away yet again. We literally just moved in to a new house beginning of May. Have yet to spend a full weekend there. Last two weekends were spent on the road going to Cape Breton (my workout on friday was actually at a gym in Cape Breton) and back (gf's grandmother was sick/passed away the past two weekends). Managed to eat relatively well this past trip tho.

GazzyG
05-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Great PRs, especially considering you've got another cold coming on.

Rileigh
05-30-2012, 04:57 AM
Great PRs, especially considering you've got another cold coming on.

Thanks!

Yeah it's kind of a weird cold. I'm a certainly stuffy and a bit of a cough, but the cold symptoms aren't as severe as they would be normally. In fact I'm starting to feel much better today and it's only been three days.

Rileigh
05-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Yesterdays workout, was really busy forgot to post.

Squats:
135 x6
225 x6
245 x6
275 x6
285 x4 (pr)
285 x3 x2
135 x6

Decline Situps:
bw x20
bw+45 x10
bw+60 x10
bw+60 x8

SLDL:
135 x6
155 x6 x2
165 x6

Hammer Str curls:
40s x6
50s x6
60s x6
65s x6

Calves:
3 sets

GazzyG
05-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Strong session, Rileigh - great job on the PRs.

Beast
05-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Yep, strong squatting, bro.

Coke
05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Steadily on the rise, should be well pleased.

Rileigh
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Yep, strong squatting, bro.

Strong session, Rileigh - great job on the PRs.

Thanks guys! The squats really just seemed to come together for me in that workout. I really felt like I could have done 295-300+. Nice and low too, not ATF, but they were good :)

Rileigh
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
BB OH Press:
bar x10
95 x6
115 x6
135 x4
135 x3
145 x1
145 xfail
95 x8

BB Rows:
95 x10
135 x6
155 x6
165 x6
185 x6
200 x3.5 (pr)
95 x10

Hammer str lat pull down:
60s x6
70s x6
80s x6
90s x6
100s x6

Tri rope pulldowns:
30 x6
40 x6
50 x6
60 x6

Machine decline press
120 x6
150 x6
180 x6
210 x4

Skipped my wed workout due to the fact I still had a bit of a cold (feeling much better today tho) and being rather tired. I'll work in the lower back exts and side exts tomorrow.

Rileigh
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Deads:
135 x6
225 x6
315 x2
335 x1
225 x3
135 x10

Calves:
max x10 x3

Decline situps:
bw x15 x2
bw+45 x10
bw+65 x8

DB curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x3

GOblet Squats:
70 x6
75 x6
80 x6
85 x6

335 was pretty tough to get up today. Not overly concerned with it, have had huge gains on deadlifts for awhile now. They have to slow sometime. :)

Rileigh
06-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Bench:
bar x10
135 x6
205 x6
225 x4
225 x3
235 x2
135 x10

DB Lat should raises:
20s x8
22.5s x8
25s x6
30s x6

Dips:
bw+10 x6
bw+25 x6
bw+25 x5
bw+25 x4

Pull Ups:
bw x4
bw x3 x5

BB Rows:
bar x10
135 x6
155 x6
185 x6
205 x3
95 x10

Coke
06-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Looking solid throughout bro.

GazzyG
06-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Hood work with the deads, bud, and your upper body strength continues to impress!

Rileigh
06-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Squats:
135 x10
225 x6
245 x6
275 x6
285 x6
295 x6
300 x4(pr)
135 x6

Calves:
4 sets

Crunch Machine:
4 sets

SLDL:
135 x6
155 x6
185 x6
205 x5

DB Curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x5

GazzyG
06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Great Squat PR, Rileigh!

Beast
06-05-2012, 05:06 PM
335 was pretty tough to get up today. Not overly concerned with it, have had huge gains on deadlifts for awhile now. They have to slow sometime. :)

Hey, it still came up, though! I've definitely hit a bit of a rut with my bench. I think now is the time when we need to eat more!

Coke
06-07-2012, 06:23 AM
On the mark with your squats dude.

Rileigh
06-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Haven't had a chance to post the last couple of workouts. Got a huge stock photography job and actually took some vacation time at work to get it done on time. Luckily workouts haven't suffered. :)

OH Press:
bar x10
95 x6
115 x6
135 x4
145 x1
145 x1
95 x6

Hammer Str pull down:
60s x6
70s x6
80s x6
90s x6

DB one armed rows:
75s x6
80s x6
85s x6
90s x6

Close Grip Bench
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x4

Rileigh
06-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Deads:
135 x6
225 x6
315 x1
335 x1
345 xfail
345 xfail
335 x1
225 x6
135 x10

Decline situps:
bw x15
bw+45 x10
bw+60 x8
bw+65 x6

45 degree leg press calves/legs supersets
4pps x10/6
5pps x10/6
6pps x10/6

DB Curls:
40s x6
45s x6
50s x6
55s x4

I feel like my squats are going to overtake my deadlifts now. Boo

Rileigh
06-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Bench:
bar x10
135 x6
185 x6
205 x6
225 x6
235 x3
245 x1 (pr)
135 x12

Pullups:
bw x5
bw x4
bw x3 x2

Rows:
135 x6
155 x6
185 x3
185 x3
135 x6

Dips:
bw x6
bw+25 x6
bw+35 x6
bw+35 x4

DB lat should raises:
20s x6
22.5s x6
25s x6
30s x4

245 went up easy and quick. I wasn't going to bother increasing it today because I only got 3 reps in at 235. But figured might as well just push it a bit, I'll just do it for a single. I probably could have gotten 2-3 at 245. I would say my 1 rep max on bench probably pretty damn close to 275. Going to start pushing myself a bit more on bench - up till now I've been taking it easy on bench just letting my lower body catch up some.

Beast
06-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Congrats on the PR! 275 feels really good, and looks good on the bar. :)

Alex.V
06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
With that kind of volume leading up to 245, and still smoking it, i'd say 275 is yours.

GazzyG
06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Wow, what a bench day - great PR!

Coke
06-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Keep doing your thing man.

Rileigh
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Sorry for not updating, I do have my workouts logged just don't have time to post them right now.

Long story short I finished off that last week, took this most recent week off (mostly due to work but figured my body could use a bit of a break too) and went back today for a light full body workout. Will be back at it as per usual this week!

Rileigh
08-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey all. Figured I'd check in briefly. Things have been busy this summer, but fortunately I've still been hitting the gym just as consistently as before.

Since I hit, what I consider to be a major milestone today, I figured I'd check in. :)

Shortly after I started this journal and began to lift consistantly (this was back in February I guess) I sort of had decided on making a goal of having a 1000lb total by the end of the summer. At the time I didn't know if this was a realistic goal or not, but today I met that goal! I had never done a barbell deadlift, and practically had never done a squat (definitely not properly) before I started coming on this site. Today my current max lifts are 275 Bench, 365 deadlift and 360 squat (this is the pr from today that hit the goal).

My training pretty similar to what it was before. I do one major lift each day, bench monday, squat tues, oh press thurs and deadlift fri (I actually swapped deadlift and squat days this week). I alternate weeks going for reps up to 6, and going for heavy singles. It's been working well for me. I throw in accessory lifts that somewhat resemble HCT after the main lifts are done.

Some people may have been aware that I did a fair amount of cardio in the past (I rarely logged it). The reason is that I have a good friend who runs marathons that I run with fairly frequently. I think it was about a month or two ago that after a few too many beers in discussing with her fitness and working out I made a boast that I could run a marathon if I really wanted to. Long story short - she's holding me to running a 1/2 marathon. So I am registered to run my first 1/2 marathon in october, and am actually running a 5k in september to raise money for breast cancer. This past wed was the first time in awhile where I've ran without putting an hour of lifting in first. I did 8 miles in an hour and forty-five minutes. First 3.2 were run/walked with the gf (who just started running and is doing the charity run with me), then I continued on by myself. Yes I'm slow ;) I don't intend to get much faster either haha. The good news is that the endurance is coming along in leaps and bounds.

How have I been balancing the running with lifting? Well, if you recall - I alternated my lifting styles each week. One week for reps, next for singles. The week for reps I'd focus on endurance running after my lifting, putting in an hour at least. The weeks I was going for singles I'd do "sprint" intervals.

Anyway... going forward. I'll be lifting less for the next month and change, will be really putting some more effort into the running. I want at least one 13-14mile run before I actually do the half marathon. I don't care about speed too much, I'd be crazy happy if I finished in under 2 hours, but I feel like that may be unrealistic. Come winter I plan to focus on lifting and bulking. Spring I think there may be another marathon in the cards, probably a full one this time. lol