PDA

View Full Version : Board presses

kingns
03-07-2012, 03:48 PM
When you board press how strict should you do them? Do you lower the bar slowly and tap the board, do you pause, do you use a lot of leg drive? I know you shouldnt just try to get good at board pressing but how hard/strict should you make them? I feel like I get a ton out of my leg drive when I do them, but im not really changing my form from when I do a full ROM bench at all. Thanks!

Rob Luyando
03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Board presses are uses for several things:
1 - to concentrate on weak points of your press
2 - to save the shoulders in training
3 - to concetrate on lockout strength
4 - to fuck up full range groove

vdizenzo
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Board presses are uses for several things:
1 - to concentrate on weak points of your press
2 - to save the shoulders in training
3 - to concetrate on lockout strength
4 - to fuck up full range groove

#4 is priceless

BloodandThunder
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
#4 is priceless

haha +1

To OP, boards are a tool just like any exercise and are a great builder if you implement them correctly. I train by myself so I rarely do them anymore but I've liked them with a close grip in the 3-5 rep range for volume to build the bench right below where my bar speed sucks hard. They are a great way to train the triceps in a lift-specific manner and cover #1 very well in Rob's list.

Don't fall into the trap of becoming a good board presser when it doesn't do anything for your full range.

Brian C
03-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Bring the weight down, hit that board, and drive it back up. Dont pussy it.

vdizenzo
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I use boards to break in a shirt or warmup. I have been trying not to use them as much for top end work with the shirt. That being said I have been doing them more close grip raw over the years and my tri strength has improved nicely.

I may be using them for a block program for my next training cycle. That's mostly because I will be starting with such light weight early on. That being said I won't go higher than a 2 board. I'll just use the minimal board I need to touch without struggling. As I porgress through the blocks the boards will get lower and be removed. I am hoping to work in a more adjustable shirt this cycle.

Travis Bell
03-08-2012, 10:30 AM
You get the most out of boards if you mimic your full range groove and if you don't bounce off them.

you need to touch on the board right about the same spot you'd touch if you were hitting your belly. Most guys I see touch too high.

ScottYard
03-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I like to touch super low to mimick the toss back of a shirt.

ON another note I used to love guys that would claim they could single what ever they could 2 Board for a triple. The same guys would try something to the chest every few months anbd get dominated by old maxes. Like said before Board pressess mostly teach people how to board press.

kingns
03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
im mostly referring to raw if that makes any difference. I see a lot that shirted board presses do more harm than good

muscle_g
03-08-2012, 07:46 PM
I will use a board in warm ups to touch a lighter weight or something. But I mainly just full range press in the shirt with my working sets.

RhodeHouse
03-10-2012, 03:24 PM
im mostly referring to raw if that makes any difference. I see a lot that shirted board presses do more harm than good

If you're training raw i wouldn't use boards. Just use various full range movements.

April Mathis
03-10-2012, 04:17 PM
I pause on the boards when using them. It makes no sense to me to try to heave or bounce the weight off the boards. I don't see how you actually make the mid-range and lockout stronger by doing that. I like to do more full range or near full-range than board presses or other partials for raw benching though. I do use them in between because I get stuck in the middle or lockout mostly and also because to give shoulders a break sometimes.