PDA

View Full Version : 7 second pause squat with 460lbs. [1 rep]

Matteo Paolo
03-10-2012, 12:59 PM
2 york 100lb. plates on each side + 60lb. powerbar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbT4Fl_mw3I

Stonecutter
03-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Aren't you passed the point of diminishing returns at 3-4 seconds?

Niko_El_Piko
03-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Why do you squat OUTSIDE of the rack?
10 seconds seems a bit long; 3-4 secs is more than enough.

Matteo Paolo
03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Why do you squat OUTSIDE of the rack?
10 seconds seems a bit long; 3-4 secs is more than enough.

It's just a personal preference..i feel crammed inside the rack..+ i got so use to squatting off of uprights training for a competition..but, yeah i agree with you..3-4 seconds is long enough,especially the really heavy weights. I only do 7-10 second pauses once in a while.

Matteo Paolo
03-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Aren't you passed the point of diminishing returns at 3-4 seconds?

For me..i think 3-4 seconds has the best carryover..especially when you start getting near 1rm weight..but pausing for 7-10 seconds has to have some kind of positive effect..if i 1rm with a weight for 3 seconds and can't go any heavier at that moment i drop the weight a bit and do more work [break my previous 3-5 rep max or do an extra set with my 3-5 rep max, each rep 3-4 seconds ] , i won't try to go heavier and do 1-2 second pauses..i stay between 3-4 second pauses..and occasionally do 7-10 second pauses.

joey54
03-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Didn't break parallel. Not a squat. As douchey as the zercher videos.

Travis Bell
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I'd agree it was high, but staying bent over like that for 7 seconds is a terrible idea. Hope you don't ruin your back doing that.

Matteo Paolo
03-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Didn't break parallel. Not a squat. As douchey as the zercher videos.

Well.. ''douchey'' it was at parallel...if you can do better on the zerchers and squats..let's see..until then..keep squatting your bitch weight ''atg''...while a 180lb., drug free, vegetarian [me] does a 3 second pause squat with 3x bodyweight raw, no belt...it's kind of like the guy on youtube recently bench pressing 600lbs. for 6 reps in a t-shirt ..yet people still talk shit on him...just can't please the jealous internet trolls..keep the criticism coming..pour it on ..it's amusing...lol.

Matteo Paolo
03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd agree it was high, but staying bent over like that for 7 seconds is a terrible idea. Hope you don't ruin your back doing that.

I can honestly say that there was no pressure/strain on my back..at all..i only felt it in my hips,glutes and hamstrings.

justiNCSU
03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Mn6V1IzHw&ob=av2n

kingns
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
y r u guys hating on this. he posted a vid of him doing something that was hard and wanted to show ppl. thats what all these training vids are anyways. give em a break

joey54
03-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Well.. ''douchey'' it was at parallel...if you can do better on the zerchers and squats..let's see..until then..keep squatting your bitch weight ''atg''...while a 180lb., drug free, vegetarian [me] does a 3 second pause squat with 3x bodyweight raw, no belt...it's kind of like the guy on youtube recently bench pressing 600lbs. for 6 reps in a t-shirt ..yet people still talk shit on him...just can't please the jealous internet trolls..keep the criticism coming..pour it on ..it's amusing...lol.

If that makes you feel special, fantastic. Sounds like excuses to me.

Travis Bell
03-12-2012, 09:35 AM
I can honestly say that there was no pressure/strain on my back..at all..i only felt it in my hips,glutes and hamstrings.

Oh it'll come to you eventually

*moved to the correct forum

DontTakeEmOff31
03-12-2012, 09:36 AM

I think the reason you came here to post your videos is to get comments on how amazing and strong you are and how we should all be in awe at your impossible feats.

Get over yourself, this a powerlifting forum, where many members are as strong or stronger then you are. There are plenty of professional lifters that post here as well, who make you (and me) look like little twerps walking into a gym for the first time.

The people posting comments here are not internet trolls, they are solid, experienced, and strong as hell lifters. You'd do well to listen to their advice.

Matteo Paolo
03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
If that makes you feel special, fantastic. Sounds like excuses to me.

No excuse...no lifting heavy doesn't really matter anyways..if there was actually some money in it..maybe i would compete again..i just choose to train a little bit in the gym..not drug up and put on a ton of gear like most lifters..but really it's so insignificant.

Matteo Paolo
03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I think the reason you came here to post your videos is to get comments on how amazing and strong you are and how we should all be in awe at your impossible feats.

Get over yourself, this a powerlifting forum, where many members are as strong or stronger then you are. There are plenty of professional lifters that post here as well, who make you (and me) look like little twerps walking into a gym for the first time.

The people posting comments here are not internet trolls, they are solid, experienced, and strong as hell lifters. You'd do well to listen to their advice.

I posted my video's simply to display them like every other person on here..and what's this about ''professional'' lifter..professional means anything you make a living off of...there is no money in the sports of powerlifting..LOL...''professional'' in powerlifting means lifters that are not drug tested and wear a ton of multi ply gear..under loose judging..and yes..they are trolls because if they weren't they wouldn't criticize every video of mine..just because they can't do it themselves..and as far as advice doing me well by these ''strong lifters''...i've been trained,coached and mentored by IPF world champions/world record holders...IPF legends to be exact..so learning things..LMAO...and lastly..don't compare me with you or anyone else..find out who someone is before running your mouth..they might make you look like a ''twerpe''..speak for yourself..my first year competing in the USAPL..i squatted a american and world record in front of very strict IPF judges..raw and drug free i would put myself against anyone in the world at 180lbs.what would i get for coming to a meet and squatting nearly 600lbs. and deadlifting 700lbs with just a belt on..a trophy or medal..LOL.

FearFactory
03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
While I think 7 secs is a bit excessive, that was a pretty badass feat of strength. As for depth, it is just training and you were pretty close.

Why don't you post up some more traditional videos of you squatting/dling?

Matteo Paolo
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
y r u guys hating on this. he posted a vid of him doing something that was hard and wanted to show ppl. thats what all these training vids are anyways. give em a break

They hate because they're jealous trolls..jealous because a vegetarian fitness model/combat athlete is able to perform world class strength/power feats..and they feel a certain way about it..lol..it's good to see someone like yourself that understands why i post video's and doesn't feel the need to talk s@$% on a internet forum..lmao.

joey54
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Yeah thats certainly it. You could post these videos with 100 lbs or 700 lbs, to me they still make no sense. As for all these other points, seems as though you are projecting and want credit for these "amazing" feats of strengths in your mind. Now because no one is as impressed as you thought you resort to name calling and rationalizing. Strong is strong. Stupid is stupid. Everyone can decide for themselves what this is.

joey54
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
and I do have a question, seriously. If you have been trained by IPF legends, why is your squat set up and walk out like it is? It seems to leave room for a lot of improvement.

FearFactory
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Legit question here..

How do you suddenly hit depth in meets? I watched all your squat videos and not one was to depth, actually most were not even close to parallel, much less below parallel which the USAPL requires. Just curious how you suddenly turn it on come meet day.

DontTakeEmOff31
03-12-2012, 08:40 PM
I posted my video's simply to display them like every other person on here..and what's this about ''professional'' lifter..professional means anything you make a living off of...there is no money in the sports of powerlifting..LOL...''professional'' in powerlifting means lifters that are not drug tested and wear a ton of multi ply gear..under loose judging..and yes..they are trolls because if they weren't they wouldn't criticize every video of mine..just because they can't do it themselves..and as far as advice doing me well by these ''strong lifters''...i've been trained,coached and mentored by IPF world champions/world record holders...IPF legends to be exact..so learning things..LMAO...and lastly..don't compare me with you or anyone else..find out who someone is before running your mouth..they might make you look like a ''twerpe''..speak for yourself..my first year competing in the USAPL..i squatted a american and world record in front of very strict IPF judges..raw and drug free i would put myself against anyone in the world at 180lbs.what would i get for coming to a meet and squatting nearly 600lbs. and deadlifting 700lbs with just a belt on..a trophy or medal..LOL.

Since you love your videos so much, how about posting these world record attempts you're speaking of. Don't tell me you didn't get a chance to take a video of that. How about a link to those records? Here, i'll get you started (http://www.usapowerlifting.com/records/).

cphafner
03-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Now your a bodybuilder?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAaElDUr4KI&feature=related

Matteo Paolo
03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Since you love your videos so much, how about posting these world record attempts you're speaking of. Don't tell me you didn't get a chance to take a video of that. How about a link to those records? Here, i'll get you started (http://www.usapowerlifting.com/records/).

LOL...ok..first of all it wasn't recent..it was in 2005..it was at the USAPL Pa state meet..i squatted 590lbs.@ 165lbs. in minimum gear [old used squat suit..my coach/trainer at the time was IPF world champion Greg Jones...this was april of 2005..my first meet ever was march 2004...another meet was the 2007 USAPL American open..there i was also weighed in @ 165lbs [164lbs. to be exact]...i attempted yet another american squat record at 623lbs.but was redlighted..bench..i bombed..mostly benched raw [didn't like gear or the bench press]...on the deadlift i pulled 640lbs.within inches of lockout..but..unfortanately it stalled...all performed with minimum gear,under strict judging and drug tested..i smoked a 595lb. deadlift at a meet and 617lb. at another..and got redlighted on both of them because ''i put the weight down to fast''...lol..it's a joke they act like they're paying you to lift..i came to my senses..and that's why i no longer compete..i've been training MMA for 12 years and just recently started fitness modeling..and most people in both sports/industries agree that powerlifting is a joke..the saying ''i lift things up and put them back down isn't something i want to be a part of..especially the sloppy..out of shape..ignorant sloths that the sport is full of...sure there is some good people..but they are few and far between..this forum confirms that..lol..oh yeah i have the drug tests..from a few meets i competed in..if you decide to call me out on that to..lol

K-R-M
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
So if you think powerlifting is a joke, why did you actively seek out a powerlifting forum, registered, took videos and then posted them. Sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do.

Good job on the lifts though, you are strong as fuck.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 12:22 AM
So if you think powerlifting is a joke, why did you actively seek out a powerlifting forum, registered, took videos and then posted them. Sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do.

Powerlifting has BECOME a joke..due to many different reasons..i really don't like to critisize anything or anybody, i'm actually a pretty humble person..but certainly stand tall when needed and don't take shit from no one..i posted video's to share my training..not to look for praise or anything like that...no matter how ''bad'' someone's form is you will never hear/see me criticize someone like the insecure/jealous people that constantly roam the internet, it's pretty pathetic when you can't post a few video's on a internet forum without them being shit on..i post in all different niche forums..not just strength/power forums..part of being mature is being open minded to differences..in this case differences in training, style, form, etc...it's all pretty insignificant when you think about it though..i thought all this nonsense was left back in pre-school, but i guess not..i have thick skin..so it doesn't faze me the least bit..anyways thanks for the compliment..hope all is well.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 12:40 AM
and I do have a question, seriously. If you have been trained by IPF legends, why is your squat set up and walk out like it is? It seems to leave room for a lot of improvement.

Well..why did John Kuc pull with his head down..or Steve Goggins practically good morning his squats..because comfort/preference...my pause squats are at parallel..but i can certainly go below parallel also..and as far as rationalizing or name calling goes..you were the one who called my lifts ''douchey''...i never looked for anybody to be in awe or be impressed with my feats/lifts..i choose to shared them..if that bothers you..that may be another story..but congrats..you did a great job shiting on my video's..

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Now your a bodybuilder?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAaElDUr4KI&feature=related

Bodybuilding..lol..no..fitness modeling..big difference..bodybuilders are in shape about a month out of the..fitness models are in shape all year round+i wouldn't call my physique a bodybuilding material.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Legit question here..

How do you suddenly hit depth in meets? I watched all your squat videos and not one was to depth, actually most were not even close to parallel, much less below parallel which the USAPL requires. Just curious how you suddenly turn it on come meet day.

The 405lbs. for 20 reps surely was at parallel..as far as turning it on goes..when i used to compete..it was probably that ''bury it or get redlighted''reaction..anyone who was ever at a USAPL meet knows how strict they are.

-JM-
03-13-2012, 04:03 AM
http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//56/7d/567d4330074c3b1bfe5065581ea096db.jpg

joey54
03-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Well..why did John Kuc pull with his head down..or Steve Goggins practically good morning his squats..because comfort/preference...my pause squats are at parallel..but i can certainly go below parallel also..and as far as rationalizing or name calling goes..you were the one who called my lifts ''douchey''...i never looked for anybody to be in awe or be impressed with my feats/lifts..i choose to shared them..if that bothers you..that may be another story..but congrats..you did a great job shiting on my video's..

So you shared the videos for the purpose of a cultural crusade and to expose our community to your unique form of training?

Your response still didn't answer why you lose all your tightness when you unrack the bar and then bounce all around until you get in position to squat.

If you are offended by the word douchey, I'll amend that to goofy videos. It is interesting you have decided the powerlifts have little importance to you and you have assigned some arbitrary measures for your own strength. I guess that shows you are more evolved with the rest of us. I would just like to see a real squat or real deadlift video where we don't have to be uncertain of the actual weight.

Also, since you are an MMA fighter do you have any sort of record or do you just trane UFC?

Alex.V
03-13-2012, 06:27 AM
..''professional'' in powerlifting means lifters that are not drug tested and wear a ton of multi ply gear..under loose judging..and yes..they are trolls because if they weren't they wouldn't criticize every video of mine..just because they can't do it themselves.

I'd feel bad for the pile on if it wasn't for this.

Look bud, nobody denied you're strong. The thing most people took issue with was your horrendous form, particularly on those zerchers. Then when well-meaning people (with, quite honestly, more experience than you) tried to give you pointers, you had an instant response essentially brushing them off. When we pointed out that some of these people are quite accomplished in their own rights (and, five or ten years ago, were likely where you were now), you then proceeded to belittle them.

Nobody is "hating" on you. But please do realize that everyone else posts videos here for feedback, criticism, and self-improvement, whereas you seem to be looking for everything but.

It's an issue of maturity, which you sorely lack.

FearFactory
03-13-2012, 07:05 AM
How can you count lifts that you got redlighted on?????

Also, you are really misguided on powerlifters in general. Most of them are actually very lean.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 12:29 PM

No..powerlifting has become a joke..due to several reasons...i don't like to criticize anyone or anything..i mean..come on they're training squats..my 3 second pause squat with 510lbs. was at parallel..RDC as well as many others believed in pausing at parallel..i don't see what the big deal is..i simply posted my video's here to share..nothing more than that..i don't want a pat on the back or praise from anyone..atleast i'm challenging my self with heavy weights and not sitting around on a internet forum criticizing every video that some person posts..i came her to post video's and to contribute to the forum by helping others the best i can, unfortanately i don't have a ton of time to spend on the internet, but do try to get on when i can..i'm not the one who needs growing up..but, thank you for the compliment..i hope all is well.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=FearFactory;2547147]How can you count lifts that you got redlighted on?????

I didn't count them..i just said that i completed the lifts..sometimes easy..so it was a legitimate lift redlighted because of some ridiculous things like standing up fully lockout..no hitching..and then when i got the down signal i put it down under control..but to fast..it was almost like they expected a negative with my near max dl..and on the squat locking out then taking a step befor the rack signal..USAPL had some crazy strict judging..but the 590lbs.squat @ 165lbs. was buried well below parallel..i used minimum gear and still found it very difficult to move in..lifters must train in it alot to get use to it...the 640lb. deadlift @ 165lbs. attempt was pulled within inches of lockout..i have nothing to say about that..i missed it..simple as that..i'm not complaining..it's done and over with..i mentioned these lifts only because someone called me out on them..i wanted to be detailed in my description..lying about lifts i've done in training and competition is just not me..not my style.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
How can you count lifts that you got redlighted on?????

Also, you are really misguided on powerlifters in general. Most of them are actually very lean.

And yes, i know many powerlifters are very lean..like when i competed in powerlifting..i was always the tallest in my class..i'm about 5'9''- 5'10''...and was 165lbs...Tom Martin is very lean among many others..it wasn't a jab at anyone..just a few times i had a # of ignorant powerlifters that told me that one pretty much had to be rather bulky or even heavy for their class to be competitive...these same guys have trouble walking up flights of stairs..i rather be skinny than be in that condition.Again it wasn't a personal jab at powerlifters..have a good day.

Alex.V
03-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Inasmuch as I may disagree with you on some things, I have to say, I tremendously respect the fact that you're keeping your cool.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 02:04 PM
So you shared the videos for the purpose of a cultural crusade and to expose our community to your unique form of training?

Your response still didn't answer why you lose all your tightness when you unrack the bar and then bounce all around until you get in position to squat.

If you are offended by the word douchey, I'll amend that to goofy videos. It is interesting you have decided the powerlifts have little importance to you and you have assigned some arbitrary measures for your own strength. I guess that shows you are more evolved with the rest of us. I would just like to see a real squat or real deadlift video where we don't have to be uncertain of the actual weight.

Also, since you are an MMA fighter do you have any sort of record or do you just trane UFC?

''Train'' MMA..and also train some mma fighters..i started way before it was ''cool'' to be a mma fighter..and was mainstream...i'm not offended by any of your words..but, obviously these video's bother you in some way because..like a child you continue to attempt talkdown to me
like my lifts are inferior just because i have a unorthodox style..if your style, form, strength/power is so superiorto mine than where is your video's..have you ever competed in A LEGITIMATE ORG/FED..have you ever attempted any american, national or world records..i supplied my detailed [short] competition history..the meets i was in had ''actual weight''...and my training weights are the exact amounts note..you can even contact Greg Jones..the man that was coaching me at these meets..my deadlift and squat..i really think that you should start doing pause squats...at parallel..work up to your max..post it and then..we will see how much you can handle at JUST PARALLEL...i know a parallel 3 sec pause squat with nearly 3x bodyweight raw no belt is pretty pathetic..i'm working on getting STRONG...lol...oh and i train the deadlift here and there..due to the toll it takes on my entire along with all the other lifts..but if i decided to get focused on the dl..and wanted to test it at a meet..i could get my numbers back up to in order to max on that to...i know i'm probably stupid..becuse of something else to..lol..oh well.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Inasmuch as I may disagree with you on some things, I have to say, I tremendously respect the fact that you're keeping your cool.

I have thick skin..the things i've been through..throughout my life..i'm immune to almost anything..i do understand that some of the people here were trying to give me constructive criticism..while others were being flat out ignorant..yes..i've only been traiuning heavy off and on for about 8 years now..and do realize yhere are people here whohave been training alot longer..and do appreciate their concern..like Travis he got his point across without being a prick..and i appreciate that...Alex, i hope all is well with you, thanks.

joey54
03-13-2012, 04:20 PM
''Train'' MMA..and also train some mma fighters..i started way before it was ''cool'' to be a mma fighter..and was mainstream...i'm not offended by any of your words..but, obviously these video's bother you in some way because..like a child you continue to attempt talkdown to me
like my lifts are inferior just because i have a unorthodox style..if your style, form, strength/power is so superiorto mine than where is your video's..have you ever competed in A LEGITIMATE ORG/FED..have you ever attempted any american, national or world records..i supplied my detailed [short] competition history..the meets i was in had ''actual weight''...and my training weights are the exact amounts note..you can even contact Greg Jones..the man that was coaching me at these meets..my deadlift and squat..i really think that you should start doing pause squats...at parallel..work up to your max..post it and then..we will see how much you can handle at JUST PARALLEL...i know a parallel 3 sec pause squat with nearly 3x bodyweight raw no belt is pretty pathetic..i'm working on getting STRONG...lol...oh and i train the deadlift here and there..due to the toll it takes on my entire along with all the other lifts..but if i decided to get focused on the dl..and wanted to test it at a meet..i could get my numbers back up to in order to max on that to...i know i'm probably stupid..becuse of something else to..lol..oh well.

No, it is trane UFC. It's a joke and went over your head like most. I am getting bored reading all these rants. Could you just put your lifts up without a 40 word explanation?

cphafner
03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Some of your squat videos, etc are strong. But some are just silly and asking for injury. What is the point of this?

beGZUmRtDAI&list=UUiyl9VW_D_tVmWJWaLnSwnw&index=70&feature=plcp

joey54
03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
And again, that would be fucking stupid to do with a bar or 500 lbs. Strength has nothing to do with this discussion and I have not one time insulted you as such. BTW, here is the squat I am most proud of. Not my personal best, but flame away.

7KgX0W5gOfY

Believe my bodyweight was 227. I am 6' 1" for reference.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 09:51 PM
No, it is trane UFC. It's a joke and went over your head like most. I am getting bored reading all these rants. Could you just put your lifts up without a 40 word explanation?

Yeah..i got the joke..believe it or not i've been asked that question before..a few times..lol.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=joey54;2547279]And again, that would be fucking stupid to do with a bar or 500 lbs. Strength has nothing to do with this discussion and I have not one time insulted you as such. BTW, here is the squat I am most proud of. Not my personal best, but flame away.

7KgX0W5gOfY

No flame from me..that's not my style..just a compliment on your squat...nice explosive raw squat...great depth....i squat that low when i go close/narrow with my squats..IMO probably the best style of squatting for overall strength/power and muscle gain.

Matteo Paolo
03-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Some of your squat videos, etc are strong. But some are just silly and asking for injury. What is the point of this?

beGZUmRtDAI&list=UUiyl9VW_D_tVmWJWaLnSwnw&index=70&feature=plcp

It's what the title reads..a cheat curl..the lower back remains locked straight or slightly arched throughout the movement..believe it or not but i got better results in strength and muscle from doing these oppose to strict curls..but like the other lifts..i only do these once in a while.

thecityalive
03-14-2012, 01:16 AM
http://api.ning.com/files/fUHa09E7IqxeETfVwIgd08QlSeaMkKXrs4uyPmJAPZPnrvCnc85hJfXlceDMT4VzOMo4qStWTo0Ix38F1nQWVw__/britney_alone_88u3.jpg

FearFactory
03-14-2012, 07:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axiezYb2tcM