PDA

View Full Version : Too much fructrose?

WannaBeStrong
06-11-2002, 07:17 AM
What is "too much" while dieting? I take in all of my fruits in the morning, so it should be cycled out by evening. Just wondering what everyone considers beyond their limits.

For the day:
4 oz strawberries or 1 peach
4 oz cherries (with pit) or 1 orange
20 baby carrots (not sure if that is considerable)
1 apple (some days)

the doc
06-11-2002, 07:21 AM
nah i wouldn't worry

Overconsumption of fructose comes from consuming processed foods which contain large amounts of table sugar (which contains 50% fructose) and high fructose corn syrup

WannaBeStrong
06-11-2002, 07:31 AM
Good. I love fruit, but I know some are pretty full of sugar.

I've switched my diet in the 2nd phase of cutting from 40/20/40 to isocaloric. Essentially I've added a little more fruit, whole grain/flax seed cereal, and a whole grain unbleached bagel with natural peanut butter. I've decreased to 1 tbsp flax seed oil, 1.5 oz almonds, and removed turkey bacon (the sodium was ridiculous, to taste).

I was fairly successful with the 40/20/40 but the lack of carbs made my evening energy pathetic. :D

body
06-11-2002, 09:37 AM
ditto doc.

fruit is low cal and the amount of total sugar (more than just fructose in fruit) is low. fruit is going to fill you up, compared to other more calorie dense foods, gram for gram.

strawbeery are basically water and very low cal. carrots very low sugar as well especially if fresh.

if some goes carrots are high GI. well to get the 50 grams of sugar from carrots you have to eat 1kg of carrots to compare it with 50 grams of dextorse.
1kg of carrots is a lot to eat, even for a rabbit.

Tiare
06-11-2002, 09:58 AM
If you are eating raw fruits it's ace. They are good sources with great vitamin/mineral content and digest fairly slowly (the exceptions would be things like watermellon, pineapple, cantelope, and raisins).

If they are canned fruits in syrup, that syrup is mostly high fructose corn syrup which is very quick on the GI.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by WannaBeStrong
What is "too much" while dieting? I take in all of my fruits in the morning, so it should be cycled out by evening. Just wondering what everyone considers beyond their limits.

For the day:
4 oz strawberries or 1 peach
4 oz cherries (with pit) or 1 orange
20 baby carrots (not sure if that is considerable)
1 apple (some days)

Not bad choices. Fairly fibrous. especially strawberries and apples.

Strawberries are the second best wholefood source of anti-oxidants in the world behind garlic. Did you know that?

Fruit is perfectly fine no matter what you're doing, just don't use it liberally.

Clark
06-12-2002, 01:04 AM
just so you know, carrots aren't fruits

WannaBeStrong
06-12-2002, 05:11 AM
just so you know, carrots aren't fruits

I know they are higher in sugar than other vegetables but I was unsure of what type of sugar it was.

geoffgarcia
06-13-2002, 03:20 PM
are you sure carrots are higher in sugar than beets? I thought they were the highest.

Also if taking in a lot of fructose is a concern why not just go ahead and limit them:)