PDA

View Full Version : Friend Needs To Cut Weight Fast

JasonLift
03-18-2012, 12:44 PM
I know I know, one of those posts. Here is the deal. I used to work for a utility company and have a good friend who still works there as a linemen. He used to be in fairly good shape and was a powerlifter and former athlete. He let himself go horribly though after a work accident that prevented him from working or training for awhile. He ballooned up to 410 pounds (he was a big guy in shape though).

He got back on track though and started training with me and eating right. My girlfriend is a bodybuilder and is pretty good with nutrition and all that stuff and helped him out a lot because he never really had to pay attention to diet before. From December till now he dropped to 380 already and it training like crazy. Probably because he had a good athletic base he is still in great shape despite his size. He wanted to lose the weight quickly enough to get healthy but also not so quick that he loses his lean mass and takes a big hit on strength.

Here is the problem my old company got bought by another and they had a company wide weight limit policy due to a different kind of equipment they use. It is 325. He has until the end of June.

I am far from any kind of expert and my girlfriend has never been overweight in her life so she doesn't really have much experience dealing with this either.

I have no idea what exactly he was eating over the past couple months that he dropped the weight, but once he found out about the weight thing last week he adjusted his diet and started weighing out his food and tracking it on fitday. He averaged out his meals over the past week and this is what it breaks down to--

6 days a week it is
1600 calories a day
200 grams of protein
100 grams of carbs
40 grams of fat

More or less it has stayed within that range for the week. One day he had a cheat meal and went to 2700 calories. He told me he did wake up the next day after the cheat meal and weighed a pound less even with the excess calories. My only suggestion that I know of to him was that to go from 380 to 325 in 16 weeks he will need to lose about 3.5 pounds a week so I thought he should weigh himself every saturday morning and see if he is on track. Add up his calories for the week and know that if he is not staying on schedule after a couple weeks drop the weekly calories.

Any thoughts and opinions from some of those people on here with more experience?

ZAR-FIT
03-18-2012, 02:33 PM
i helped a guy drop some serious weight like that. I had him have a big blender full of veggies and a scoop of protein 3 times a day. usually consisted of four veggies, and 1 fruit. from sources of broccoli, cucumber, kale, carrots, white eggplant, brussle sprouts, zucchini, and apple banana, blueberries, raspberries. and he would have 2 healthy snack/meals between them. 3 egg omelet no cheese, almonds, homemade chicken and veggie soup, nature valley bar... were some options.

JasonLift
03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Interesting. Did you have him deviate from that plan at all. I know on a personal level when I wanted to pack on some size I rarely had cheat meals but when I was trying to drop some pounds I would have more. Although I know this is different circumstances because of the need for so much weight loss so quickly (especially having already shed 30 pounds). I was thinking more so about worried the metabolism would slow down with the serious drop in calories.

Cards
03-19-2012, 06:36 AM
i helped a guy drop some serious weight like that. I had him have a big blender full of veggies and a scoop of protein 3 times a day. usually consisted of four veggies, and 1 fruit. from sources of broccoli, cucumber, kale, carrots, white eggplant, brussle sprouts, zucchini, and apple banana, blueberries, raspberries. and he would have 2 healthy snack/meals between them. 3 egg omelet no cheese, almonds, homemade chicken and veggie soup, nature valley bar... were some options.

This is really interesting, I may have to try this.

Dazza
03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Look into Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Diet. Plenty of free info online about it and really easy to set up. Basically just eating enough protein to support lean muscle, minimum amount of essential fats and veggies. Refeeds once or twice a week depending on BF%. Minimize lifting to 2-3 times a week for 2-3 heavy sets per muscle. This is the fastest way to lose fat healthily. You can't drop calories ant lower!

JasonLift
04-07-2012, 09:17 AM
He is down to 360 as of yesterday morning.