PDA

View Full Version : Carbs: gotta eat 'em late - what to do?

tudmuf2b
06-11-2002, 02:37 PM
hey folks,

:help:

i've been cutting down on the carbs and one of the big problems is i can't seem to not eat them in the evening, because my wife's cooking stuff higher in carbs than i like. since my wife is not low-carbing it and I don't want to start a fight with her about my dieting vs. her not dieting, what can i do during the day to not feel too light-headed from low-carbing it until dinner time?

For instance I eat a couple of myoplex bars, plus some peanut butter during the day, 2 cans of tuna, so it's probably less than 30g of carbs (and about 120g of protein) til about 7pm or so. this is bad right? (I weigh about 160lb now)...

Because dinner might end up being anywhere from 50-80g of carbs, I do try to be careful during the day not to overeat on carbs but at the same time also don't wanna be killing myself...

Not ideal, I know, but it's what I have to work with... :)

06-11-2002, 05:18 PM
how about working out before supper?

Behemoth
06-11-2002, 05:19 PM
How tall are you? You don't seem that heavy to me, but if you are dieting as in to lose weight and cut bodyfat then... Tell your wife how much better you would look if you lost a few pounds and that eating those meals will just make it harder for you. Also I was on a cutting diet that I just finished up and for the first half I spread my carbs evenly and had moderate success. Then I read how your supposed to eat em' heavy in the morning and fade them to none by your last meal. I did this and got more results than twice the results I had the first half of the cutting phase, it really makes a noticeable difference.

Qea
06-11-2002, 08:00 PM
As Avatar mentioned.

Plus, why can't you ask your wife to cook lower-carbed food for you?

I mean, you're in a marriage. What's the big deal about that?

Or make your own food. Or have you forgotten what it was like to be a bachelor?

:D

tudmuf2b
06-12-2002, 07:16 AM
I'm 5' 7", and attempting to see what a 6 pack is like for the first time in my life (getting there, albeit slowly). Hopefully if I hit 150lb or so, that'll be that for the cutting... :)

I have to workout in the morning, because I don't have energy in the evening, plus it's better to do it for cutting purposes....

I am good during the day in my diet, but hey when you're married, it's not as easy to fight about what's for dinner, especially if she's in the mood for pasta. I guess there are other battles to fight and I just let this one go...

WannaBeStrong
06-12-2002, 07:23 AM
Step one: Buy a George Foreman or knock-off grill
Step two: Buy fresh or frozen chicken breasts (Perdue are my favorite)
Step three: Throw a 7oz breast on grill to get about 6oz cooked.
Step four: Enjoy with some salsa :)

Talk your wife into making meals like a main meat with a SIDE of vege/ rice, instead of carb conglomerates. That way you can eat the meat and vege and skip the rice. Without an argument you can compromise and get a meal you'll both enjoy.

Shao-LiN
06-12-2002, 08:26 AM
Let her make her own food...and make your own.

Blood&Iron
06-12-2002, 11:06 AM
If you feel crappy eating so few carbs, eat more carbs. They won't automatically make you fat, provided you're still running a caloric deficit. As stupid as fat-phobia is, carb-phobia is just as silly.

FYI carbs don't magically become more fattening after 6pm(or any other arbitrary time).

06-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
FYI carbs don't magically become more fattening after 6pm(or any other arbitrary time).

true, but they do pose a higher risk of being converted to fat, than earlier in the day.

I'm not saying carbs should be totally avoided in the evening. I'm saying carbs should be gradually reduced as the day wears on.

Blood&Iron
06-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Avatar

true, but they do pose a higher risk of being converted to fat, than earlier in the day.

No, they don't. That's my whole point.

06-12-2002, 12:13 PM

No, they don't. That's my whole point.

sure they do.

Shao-LiN
06-12-2002, 05:08 PM
I don't think they do...not while you're awake anyway.

06-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
I don't think they do...not while you're awake anyway.

sure they do.
The only difference between being awake and sleep is the amount of calories burnt.
Assuming you go to sleep at night, you burn less calories in the evening compared to daytime. As well your metabolism slowly lowers as it prepares to go to sleep.

Less calorie expenditure = greater chance of carb spill-over.

Its pretty simple guys.

Blood&Iron
06-12-2002, 08:19 PM

sure they do.
The only difference between being awake and sleep is the amount of calories burnt.
Assuming you go to sleep at night, you burn less calories in the evening compared to daytime. As well your metabolism slowly lowers as it prepares to go to sleep.

Less calorie expenditure = greater chance of carb spill-over.

Its pretty simple guys.
And completely wrong...for equally simple reasons.

06-12-2002, 08:28 PM

And completely wrong...for equally simple reasons.

ha, sure proved yourself there.

Clark
06-12-2002, 09:37 PM
could take some ALA

Blood&Iron
06-13-2002, 07:01 AM

ha, sure proved yourself there.
Nor did you. You explanation is not based on science but merely 'common sense.' Common sense also tells us that the Earth is flat. I feel no need to explain why either is wrong. It's a waste of my time.

Paul Stagg
06-13-2002, 07:49 AM
Calories in vs. calories out.

What time you eat carbs really doesn't matter.

tudmuf2b
06-13-2002, 08:03 AM
so then, is the theory about eating after 8pm being bad (for cutting) also just a theory that has no basis?

Paul Stagg
06-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Pretty much.

There are metabolic reactions to feeding, but in the end, the main thing is calories.

Behemoth
06-13-2002, 09:47 AM
If it's as simple as calories in vs. calories out, then why do people go to the extra trouble of eating slow digested protein as a bedtime snack? Like cottage cheese, can't tell you how many times I've heard it the best thing to eat late at night here on this board.

runt
06-13-2002, 11:05 AM
I had to go back and read the original post and get my thinking back on track after reading all the digressions. tudmuf2b if your eating dinner at sevenish and go to bed around 10 or 11 and you are 5' 7" and only weigh 160 you have nothing to worry about. Eat fist size portions of the carb stuff sticking to two portions of carbs. Make sure you get 20 - 40 grams of protien at your dinner meal. I'm your height and am dying to get to 160 lbs and more. I'm really in the camp that says it doesn't matter what time you eat your last meal. That 8 - 9 hour fast while sleeping is burning a lot more calories then your taking account for. If you were 250 lbs and 5' 7" it might be a different deal. Just enjoy tha fact that someone cooks for you.

Blood&Iron
06-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by TryingToBeBig
If it's as simple as calories in vs. calories out, then why do people go to the extra trouble of eating slow digested protein as a bedtime snack? Like cottage cheese, can't tell you how many times I've heard it the best thing to eat late at night here on this board.
That's true. Ultimately, as Paul stated, if you're trying to lose weight it comes down to calories in v. calories out. There are a bunch of other factors to consider, though. It's both much more simple and much more complex than most people know or want to believe. Provided you have sufficient protein and EFA intake, the rest of your macronutrient intake is not going to matter as much as total calories. But the glycemic index, satiety index, all those sorts of things do factor in. Cramming all your calories into one big meal and fasting for the rest of the day would not be a good idea. Nor, generally, do I think getting all one's calories from Coke and donuts the best plan for bulking. But if you eat some white bread just before going to bed, you're not going to turn into a 500lb behemoth overnight; you're really not gonna even mess up GH release, just delay it for a little while.

As for the protein thing, most proteins are equally find before bed. People recommend cottage cheese, because it's almost completely casein which clots in the gut and releases amino acids slowly helping to curb catabolism during your night fast. Whey is oxidized very rapidly, and so only elevates blood aminos for an hour or two before they return to baseline. So, cottage cheese is better; a piece of meat would be just as good, if not a bit better.

hemants
06-13-2002, 12:16 PM
"If it's as simple as calories in vs. calories out, then why do people go to the extra trouble of eating slow digested protein as a bedtime snack?"

The body can't store much excess protein (amino acid stores are limited). Carbs on the other hand are stored as muscle and liver glycogen.

50-80g of medium to low glycemic carbs 2 or 3 hours before bedtime isn't going to be stored as fat IMHO.

Fudomyo
06-13-2002, 03:23 PM
If you are in calorie deficit, you body is not going to convert carbs to fat. Not at night, not during the day, and not while your are typing on the computer. This "costs" your body 23% to make this conversion, and your body isn't going to spend that when it could replenish glycogen stores for free.

To build muscle, you want protein available at all times. This is why you would take that last protein (several types mixed) before bed. I have one with low GI carbs myself, and I lose weight.

The magical nighttime fat hormone has not been documented by scientists (cause it ain't there).

Fudo

tudmuf2b
06-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Cool I know I'm gonna knock myself out with a cottage cheese shot before I go to sleep tonite.... :cool:

06-13-2002, 07:58 PM

Nor did you. You explanation is not based on science but merely 'common sense.' Common sense also tells us that the Earth is flat. I feel no need to explain why either is wrong. It's a waste of my time.

Nothing I said was common sense but was fact.

I made all of the following points:

"[carbs] pose a higher risk of being converted to fat, than earlier in the day. "
-At the end of the day if your in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight, but body composition will change differently for that day depending on the macro breakdown.
Also what if the person is bulking? You now have a positive caloric balance, further making obvious of my original point. It all comes down to less calories being burnt in the evening cause of lowered metabolism and less energy expenditure.

"Assuming you go to sleep at night, you burn less calories in the evening compared to daytime. "
-How can you argue with this fact? Most people work in the day and lie around at night. Plus inherently the human body temperature lowers as the evening goes on, preparing itself for sleep. This means less calories being burnt.

"Less calorie expenditure = greater chance of carb spill-over. "
All linked to previous facts. Less energy burnt = more carbs left over. Who said I'm talking about the end of the day, whether you have positive calories or negative. I'm talking about the minute. The body is always burning a bit of fat, burning a bit of muscle, gaining a bit of fat, gaining a bit of muscle. Smarter choices throughout the ENTIRE day changes the direction of this body composition.

Tell me again which is common sense here?